PDA

View Full Version : Muslims in the SF

DevilSide
02-21-2010, 20:59
Don't shoot me, I know this might be a ridiculous question, but are there any Muslims in the SF like in the rest of the Military?

wet dog
02-21-2010, 21:18
Don't shoot me, I know this might be a ridiculous question, but are there any Muslims in the SF like in the rest of the Military?

Yes, there are also Christian, Jew, Hindu and Buddhist.

DevilSide
02-21-2010, 21:35
Yes, there are also Christian, Jew, Hindu and Buddhist.

Does it ever conflict with the overall mission/goals?

wet dog
02-21-2010, 21:54
What mission/goals are you speaking of?

Does it ever conflict with the overall mission/goals?

The Reaper
02-21-2010, 22:31

DevilSide:

Why would this matter to you unless you were a Muslim?

TR

DevilSide
02-21-2010, 22:31
For example, counter-insurgency in Afghanistan. Is the Soldier considered a security risk because he is a Muslim, or seen as an asset that can level with the people?

DevilSide
02-21-2010, 22:34
DevilSide:

Why would this matter to you unless you were a Muslim?

TR

It does not matter to me, I'm atheist, and am just curious. It almost seems like there is some sort of prejudice against Muslims here in the US because of current events and I wandered if this applied in our armed forces.

Dozer523
02-21-2010, 22:35
Shoot him. :D

rltipton
02-21-2010, 22:37
Shoot him. :D

Seconded

The Reaper
02-21-2010, 22:41
It does not matter to me, I'm atheist, and am just curious. It almost seems like there is some sort of prejudice against Muslims here in the US because of current events and I wandered if this applied in our armed forces.

In case you missed it, this is not a good site to engage in hypothetical questions to entertain your idle curiosity.

If your university had members shot and killed by Muslim students on a regular basis, would you consider your suspicion of them as "prejudice" or just reasonable caution?

TR

wet dog
02-21-2010, 23:11
For example, counter-insurgency in Afghanistan. Is the Soldier considered a security risk because he is a Muslim, or seen as an asset that can level with the people?

Counter-insurgency, (US) vs. Insurgents, (THEM). These are the actions of individuals and groups, not idealogies of/or religion. Taliban forces, force recruit agents of all ages. Failure to not 'enlist' results in your family being killed.

Believe me when I say, we have agents too. We recruit local assets, these brave souls fight and bleed, some die to preserve their freedoms and our national security abroad. These agents have bleed more than any bumper toting yellow ribbon "I support the troops" truck driver or soccer mom in America.

SF has several missions. Tell me, where does Counter-Insurgency fall under? Before you answer, Counter Insurgency is a campaign, not a mission. We construct plans and mission objectives to succeed with accomplishing Cdr's Intent, and Campaign goals. We use one or more mission styles to accomplish our goals, we may use them in tandem or in parallel. We may switch from one mission style to another, but only at the discretion of ODA Tm Ldrs and Tm Sgts. Or we may use all in a given threatre over a specified amount of time or negociated with village chieftans.

Now before you post agian. I want you to write a short essay, NLT 500 words, and not more that 750 words, on "The Role of Village Chieftans in the threatre of Special Forces Areas of Assignments", and send it to me in an PM.

Note:
(1) You will not use the words, "Islam" or "Muslim" at any time in the essay.
(2) Nor will you make any reference to SF soldiers of certain faiths.
(3) I have intentionally given you true and false statements within the body of my post. I want you to find and correct.
(4) When quoting authors, please give sources.

I think next Friday will give you enough time.

Wet Dog

head
02-22-2010, 00:13
Yes, there are Muslims in SF. As far as the mission in Afghanistan goes... everyone in that country is a Muslim, so how you would have a counterinsurgency without working, training, and fighting alongside Muslims anyways? Whatever religion you are, if your personal beliefs conflict with mission requirements you need to find (and will be sent to find) a new line of work. Using a your religion to "level with them"? An SF guy needs to level with them just fine without being of the same religion... that's kinda why they put the "special" in front of "forces" and why we know how important it is to understand their culture.

What's up with your signature - a rainbow colored "Semper Fi"? I wouldn't be spouting that if I weren't a Marine even if my whole family was.. but maybe that's just me. Don't worry I hate when people use DOL without every sniffing a Group too

Surgicalcric
02-22-2010, 06:17
DevilSide:

You need to read more and post...well wait on posting for some time. There is plenty here to concern yourself with and learn from without having to ask questions that bring attention on yourself.

Now go do PT, chase girls, and study (not necessarily in that order.)

Crip

wet dog
02-24-2010, 19:28
Previously DS was given a homework essay assignment which he has sent to me in a PM. I asked if I may post in the open for critique.

When asked his sources, he listed the following.

Wet Dog,

May not be perfect, but I did my best to get the most accurate information I could get on my own in as little time as possible.

Essay as follows:

"The Role of Village Chieftans in the theatre of Special Forces Areas of Assignments.

Villiage Chieftans are the heart of the region in places where there is little or no Government control, and before
formal governments, they held the land together through all tribal affairs. These are the people the Special Forces directly
communicate with in a host nation, to win them is to win the support of the people. They are like a regional assembly leadership,
but act on much larger responsibilities. The Special Forces work to meet the needs of the villiages through their represenatives,
the village elders. Though this is a primitive system, it has still proven to be the most powerful form of government in some
areas.

To win the people of the host nation's hearts and minds, he must target the main influence and leadership, in Afghanistan's
case, it is the Pashto Tribes. The Jirga are the true Government of these regions in Southern Afghanistan and Northern Pakistan,
they operate like a small council of life-experienced represenatives who hold the responsibility of ensuring the well-being of
their people. The Jirga holds the prestiege of a court, they are at times called to solve problems as minor as disputes
between two individuals, acting as a mediator. In a serious judicial side, they can even issue punishments as harsh as execution
or expulsion from the community. Though the Afghan National Government appoints an official to oversee actions, the true power
is in their hands. Without the approval and coordination of these leaders, there can be no winning the "hearts and minds" and no
way to combat an insurgency. A villiage chieftain may request anything from medical aid, a clean water supply, protection,
food, and shelter, to improve the quality of life. This causes an effect that 100 enemy casualties cannot produce, its called
trust.

The Villiage Elders often have years of civil strife under their belts, and know firsthand what Special Forces need to
know. They are the eyes and ears of everything in the given area, and is almost unmatched. This importance is also seen by the
enemy, in the Afghan-Pakistani boarder regions, the Taliban have used them as recruiting grounds by winning favor or by force
and intimidation. The Elders will call out for aid to the Special Forces, ratting out 'spies' and giving other valueable intel.
Motivation for the tribe wanting to assist the Special Forces, may be a result of persecution by the former regieme. The Elders
Judge the Americans to assure they are not the same as their former oppresors, or like the Japanese in Okinawa, or the French in
Vietnam.

This is no doubt the prime weapon in counterinsurgency operations. Though it falls under the Regional Combatant
Commander, it will be tailored by the ODA's to the environment and specific needs of the host nation. Where the Government of the
Host Nation is of little help, it falls down to the tribes of centruries old traditions that have kept them thriving for so long.
It is the prestiege and wisdom of a Chieftain that holds the people together. A Chieftain must trust the Special Forces Soldiers
in order for their cooperation to commence to a successful mission. Once he see's the great changes that their work brings to
the people, they earn a mutual respect that lasts a lifetime." [/B]

Originally Posted by DevilSide
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6731389.stm

About Taliban recruitment ^^

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jirga
Information about Jirga, for Pashtun regions

FMI 3-07-22 Counterinsurgency Operations
About what it Counterinsurgency falls under, and other information about it.

Everything else was a collaboration of what I already knew from past reading, news, history/discovery channel.

DevilSide

DevilSide
02-25-2010, 23:08
I'm interested in knowing the QP's thoughts on this essay, was the information accurate in your eyes?