View Full Version : GEN Al Haig - Rest in Peace

The Reaper
02-20-2010, 10:18
RIP, General.

TR

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/02/20/presidential-adviser-haig-dies/

Former Presidential Adviser Alexander Haig Dies

FOXNews.com

Former Secretary of State Alexander Haig, who served Republican presidents and ran for the office himself, has died.

The Haig family says he died Saturday at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore from complications associated with an infection. He was 85.

The four-star general served as a top adviser to three presidents and had presidential ambitions of his own. President Richard Nixon appointed him White House chief of staff in 1973. In that role, Haig helped the president prepare his impeachment defense and handled many of the day-to-day decisions normally made by the chief executive.

In later years, Haig spoke of Nixon in cautious terms.

"I found with President Nixon -- and I'm sure there are similarities today -- that these are very political beings," he told Fox News in 1998. "They wouldn't be in that office if they weren't politically astute."

Haig later served as secretary of state under President Ronald Reagan.

In the chaotic hours following the attempted assassination of Reagan in March 1981, Haig uttered what became his most famous statement.

"As of now, I am in control here, in the White House," Haig said.

The remark misrepresented the line of presidential succession and it made it easier for critics to portray Haig as a usurper of power.

(Cont. at link)

wet dog
02-20-2010, 10:34
Rest in Peace General.

orion5
02-20-2010, 10:38
RIP, Sir.

I like the sentiment expressed below. I believe if you strive to make a difference, vs accept the status quo, your life is well lived.

From The Washington Post: link (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/02/20/AR2010022001270.html)

In interviews, Gen. Haig brushed off all those who criticized his manner and at times his methods. "If you're a guy who just comes in and occupies a position and keeps his head down, of course, life can be rather pleasant," he once told The Post in an interview. "They come and go in all their adulations. But if you have a firm set of ideas, and you want to make a difference, you've got to be controversial."

greenberetTFS
02-20-2010, 10:45
God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior................. :(

Big Teddy :munchin

TOMAHAWK9521
02-20-2010, 11:14
Rest In Peace, Sir.

jbour13
02-20-2010, 11:56
RIP Sir.

ZonieDiver
02-20-2010, 12:03
Rest In Peace, Sir.

Team Sergeant
02-20-2010, 12:47
I met General Haig during Desert Storm on the "highway of death". At the time he was surrounded by reporters answering their questions. I stood there waiting to see if I could get a picture with him maybe after he was done with all those reporters. A man whom I do not know walked up to me and asked "Are you waiting to get a picture with the General?" I replied, "Yes sir!" He then walked straight over to General Haig and whispered something in his ear. General Haig looked my direction and put his hands up to the reporters a gesture to "stop". The reporters stopped and he walked over to me and asked if I wanted a picture with him, "Yes Sir!" I answered. We took the picture and shook hands afterwards. A moment I will never forget.
Thank you and Rest in Peace General Haig.
Jeff

18DWife
02-20-2010, 12:50
I met General Haig during Desert Storm on the "highway of death". At the time he was surrounded by reporters answering their questions. I stood there waiting to see if I could get a picture with him maybe after he was done with all those reporters. A man whom I do not know walked up to me and asked "Are you waiting to get a picture with the General?" I replied, "Yes sir!" He then walked straight over to General Haig and whispered something in his ear. General looked my direction and put his hands up to the reporters a gesture to "stop". The reporters stopped and he walked over to me and asked if I wanted a picture with him, "Yes Sir!" I answered. We took the picture and shook hands afterwards. A moment I will never forget.
Jeff

Awesome story

RIP General Haig

bandycpa
02-20-2010, 12:58
Rest in Peace, General Haig. Thank you for your service.

Snaquebite
02-20-2010, 13:05
Rest In Peace General.

If they analyze the situation as thoroughly as they should, Muslims will realize they are the first targets. What are the fundamentalists really after? Simply taking over Islam and then turning its back on modernity.
Alexander Haig

We didn't lose Vietnam. We quit Vietnam.
Alexander Haig

Let them march all they want, as long as they continue to pay their taxes.
Alexander Haig

Practice rather than preach. Make of your life an affirmation, defined by your ideals, not the negation of others. Dare to the level of your capability then go beyond to a higher level.
Alexander Haig

“It appears to me we haven't learned very much.”
Alexander Haig

Surgicalcric
02-20-2010, 13:59
Rest In Peace Sir...

I am sure, you are missed!

Crip

Stras
02-20-2010, 14:27
Rest in Peace Sir

JJ_BPK
02-20-2010, 14:49
RIP, General Haig, Vaya con Dios...

echoes
02-20-2010, 14:49
I met General Haig during Desert Storm on the "highway of death". At the time he was surrounded by reporters answering their questions. I stood there waiting to see if I could get a picture with him maybe after he was done with all those reporters. A man whom I do not know walked up to me and asked "Are you waiting to get a picture with the General?" I replied, "Yes sir!" He then walked straight over to General Haig and whispered something in his ear. General Haig looked my direction and put his hands up to the reporters a gesture to "stop". The reporters stopped and he walked over to me and asked if I wanted a picture with him, "Yes Sir!" I answered. We took the picture and shook hands afterwards. A moment I will never forget.

A true testament, TS Sir.

Rest-In-Peace, General, and Thank You for your service to Our great Nation.

Holly

Gypsy
02-20-2010, 15:10
Rest in Peace, General Haig.

Utah Bob
02-20-2010, 15:16
Rest in Peace sir. Your lifetime of dedicated service is appreciated.

Tatonka316
02-20-2010, 19:38
Rest in Peace, General Haig. Thank you for your lifetime of service and sacrifice for OUR country. You will ALWAYS be missed and NEVER forgotten!

molon labe

doctom54
02-20-2010, 19:41
Rest In Peace, General.

vsvo
02-21-2010, 10:08
RIP General

Red Flag 1
02-21-2010, 14:01
Rest In Peace General.