PDA

View Full Version : Kydex holsters

Sacamuelas
07-26-2004, 21:08
Just got this delivered this afternoon....

FIST K1 adaptable kydex holster.

Can be worn IWB/OWB, strong side hip/small of back/front hip based on how you configure it, and it has an extremely adjustable cant angle and ride height.
(configured OWB in pics)

It is extremely thin and adds VERY little thickness to the guns profile.

What other kydex holsters do others like?

CommoGeek
07-27-2004, 04:03
I have a very simple Uncle Mike's that I use for carrying at the range when I'm not using my IPSC gear. $15 or so and for my needs it works well. For the average end user, I'd recommend them.

swatsurgeon
07-27-2004, 06:09
Sac,
I happen to like the FIST thin kydex....I have 2 now for IWB carry for 2 different size pistols....they are comfortable adding almost no thickness to the gun...can wear it all day over my right flank area and not 'feel' it there.
I have given up on all of my 'expensive' leather holsters....sold them all and use kydex exclusively, never wears out, adjustable retention, can't beat it.
One of the best investments was in a "smartcarry" holster ( www.smartcarry.com )...I can wear it under shorts or under my scrubs and no one knows you're carrying....can go shirtless in the summer and still carry without a fanny-pack. Worth looking at depending on your style of dress. I wore it once with a tuxedo and no one knew it was there except me....and my wife!!
I wore it the last time I worked out with our SWAT team... we were doing a live fire scenerio and when I produced a pistol out of 'no-where' they took notice....2 of the guys that do undercover just ordered them.

Sacamuelas
07-27-2004, 06:26
Thanks for the link SS. :cool:

Smokin Joe
07-27-2004, 07:31
SWAT,

How comfortable is it with a uniform, duty belt and concealable vest on?

I'm thinking its a good place for a B.U.G.

DDD
07-27-2004, 08:50
Don't rule out Blade-Tech, Tim Wegner was a pioneer in Kydex and still puts out a very good product. Customer service is outstanding (I've never broken any of his gear, but some young guys that work with me tore some up trying to "make it better").

Air.177
07-27-2004, 08:59
Comp-Tac out of Houston make some good stuff. I have 3 of their holsters, 2 "Pro undercovers", and a "Gurkha"

Link (http://www.comp-tac.com/)

rubberneck
07-27-2004, 09:24
Originally posted by Air.177
Comp-Tac out of Houston make some good stuff. I have 3 of their holsters, 2 "Pro undercovers", and a "Gurkha"

Link (http://www.comp-tac.com/)

I'll second Comp-Tac. I ordered a kydex paddle holster from them on a monday they produced it on tuesday and I had it on thrusday. The holster is outstanding in every regard and Greg is a real gentleman.

Sacamuelas
07-27-2004, 10:36
Are there any brands or specific types that need to be avoided or have given you trouble? If so, list them along with a brief reasoning.

Thanks for the replies above gentlemen.:cool:

swatsurgeon
07-27-2004, 11:23
deploying said pistol from the smartcarry with a vest on would be very difficult...I had on my medic vest, soft armor that stops at the waist so I could get to it but the regular vests these guys wear, i.e., safariland, are too stiff to get the gun out from under your belt line on the inside of your pants. For deployment I like the blackhawk inverted ankle holster as a secondary site. The smart carry is great in civilian life under normal clothes, not wearing armor, etc.

Air.177
07-27-2004, 11:40
I don't particularly care for the Fobus Holsters. They are assembled with Rivets rather than screws and do not allow you to adjust the retention or fit of the gun. They also tend to wear quite a bit and loosen up over time and not being able to retighten them is an issue for me.

Sacamuelas
07-27-2004, 11:47
SS Doc-
A few followup Q's-

Do you own the Security Holster or the standard Smartcarry?

Do you carry a full size pistol in yours? My main CCW is a 4" kimber .45 with a full size frame. Still think it would be comfortable with this type gun?

Depending on your responses, I think I am going to order one and try it out. I like the idea. :lifter

swatsurgeon
07-27-2004, 14:24
Saca,
I have a standard smartcarry, 4 " barrel hides fine....the ads by the owner has a 5" 1911 well hidden.
I carried my H&K .40 compact, glock 19 or 26 in it without difficulty. Just have to order the size that corresponds most closely to your carry gun....
once you get used to it and practice, it's fast....be careful, no guard against accidental discharges (other than your very smart/talented trigger finger) and the family jewels are right there!!

Polypro
07-28-2004, 03:54
Originally posted by rubberneck
I'll second Comp-Tac. I ordered a kydex paddle holster from them on a monday they produced it on tuesday and I had it on thrusday. The holster is outstanding in every regard and Greg is a real gentleman.

I'll 3rd them.

P