07-26-2004, 16:13
This one is worth if for all of you Guiness lovers:

12 oz Guinness
2 C heavy cream
2 C whole milk
3/4 C sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
6 egg yolks

In a large sauce pan, simmer the Guiness until reduced by 3/4, about 10 minutes. Combine the cream, milk, and sugar ina medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over medium heat.

Beat the egg yolks in a medium bowl. Whisk one cup of the hot cream into the egg yolks. Gradually add the egg mixture in a slow steady stream to the hot cream. Cook over medium low heat, stirring occasionaly, until mixture thickens to coat the back of a spoon and reaches 170 degrees. Add vanilla. Remove from heat, pour into a clean container and cool in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours.

After its cool, add the reduced Guiness.

Freeze in ice cream maker according to your makers instructions...

brewmonkey
07-26-2004, 20:48
I have been watching the food tv series on ice cream this week. It has been interesting and it looks like something I will give a whirl.

What has been really great this summer is that they just built another Cold Stone Creamery closer to my house. That place is awesome if any of you get near one, it is worth checking out. The only word of advice is be prepared!!! I ordered what I thought would be 2-3 scoop size and it was more like a damn quart. It was so big I could not finish it and that is rare.

mffjm8509
07-26-2004, 21:11
Brew, I figured you would get a kick out of the Guiness ice cream. The combination of reduced guiness and vanilla really makes a mild guiness aftertaste. I'll make it again.

I concur, cold stone rocks!

When I lived in Pinehurst my wife and I would drive up to Cary, NC just to get ice cream at a place called Marble Slab (same concept).

When we moved back to Colorado Springs we stopped in at a Cold Stone and I have to say they blow Marble Slab out of hte water.

Birthday Cake remix is my favorite..

mp

brewmonkey
07-26-2004, 21:24
Funny you should mention the Birthday cake remix. That is the one I got when we were in there for my birthday, I thought the big cup looked about the right size and then they loaded that sucker up. I got about 1/2 way through and had to toss it.

We now either buy a small one each or get a large and split it.

I am really into making things for myself and after watching those shows this week and seeing your recipe I am going to have to do it. My oldest will get a kick out of it as well. In the brewery I always had homemade rootbeer and gingerale on tap and he woudl come in on Saturday's and help me make it.

Here is a review from one of the beer critics who came into the brewery while I was still running it.

http://www.realbeer.com/nmvbp/highnoon.htm

Footmobile
07-27-2004, 00:02
Got a Cold Stone about 5 mikes away from my house. Good stuff it is!

Thanks for that Guiness recipe, I will definitly be trying that one out.

Roycroft201
07-27-2004, 12:23
That's a great article, brew !

brewmonkey
07-27-2004, 12:38
Originally posted by Roycroft201
That's a great article, brew !

Thanks, I was very pleased when I first saw that way back when. Nothing like being recognized by your peers and other professionals for the work you do.

Brewing for me had a very high rate of job satisfaction. Nothing like seeing something you created being enjoyed by others. I loved it when they would come back and ask me questions about the process as well.

If all goes well I will be back brewing in the near future. I am working on a project and if all goes well I will be the majority owner of a brewery with limited distro. While it is not likely to be a huge moneymaker it will pay the bills and keep me happy. My oldest has really taken an interest in fermentation as well. I would love nothing more then to be able to have the brewery and someday pass it along to him.

The Reaper
07-27-2004, 12:41
Originally posted by brewmonkey
Thanks, I was very pleased when I first saw that way back when. Nothing like being recognized by your peers and other professionals for the work you do.

Brewing for me had a very high rate of job satisfaction. Nothing like seeing something you created being enjoyed by others. I loved it when they would come back and ask me questions about the process as well.

If all goes well I will be back brewing in the near future. I am working on a project and if all goes well I will be the majority owner of a brewery with limited distro. While it is not likely to be a huge moneymaker it will pay the bills and keep me happy. My oldest has really taken an interest in fermentation as well. I would love nothing more then to be able to have the brewery and someday pass it along to him.

Two words.

Internet sales.

Preferably as bottles, and kegs.

TR

Air.177
07-27-2004, 12:47
I can see the labels now,"The beer of the Quiet Professionals"

Keep us posted Brew

The Reaper
07-27-2004, 12:58
Originally posted by Air.177
I can see the labels now,"The beer of the Quiet Professionals"

Which you are too young to legally consume, if I haven't already mentioned that.

TR

Air.177
07-27-2004, 13:11
I didn't suggest anything otherwise, But thank you Dr Gonzo for keeping my legal interests in mind.

I am afraid to think where I may have ended up had I not been under the constant advisory of my Diligent Samoan Attorney;)

Roguish Lawyer
07-27-2004, 13:21
Originally posted by Air.177
I didn't suggest anything otherwise, But thank you Dr Gonzo for keeping my legal interests in mind.

I am afraid to think where I may have ended up had I not been under the constant advisory of my Diligent Samoan Attorney;)

Well, my advice to you is to fight the power. Old enough to get drafted, old enough to drink. Just don't get caught. :D

Air.177
07-27-2004, 13:26
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Well, my advice to you is to fight the power. Old enough to get drafted, old enough to drink. Just don't get caught. :D

Hmm, I may have to reconsider my choice of attorneys:D

I like the way you think