PDA

View Full Version : 18X contract with GED and possibly a medical waiver?

JDash86
02-08-2010, 03:22
I recently visited a recruiter and I'm ready to enlist as an 18X. However, I only have GED with zero college credits (I understand 15 would be enough). My recruiter said there aren't even GED slots open for the regular Army at the moment.... Is there any way to get an educational waiver for 18X?

Also, about 6 years ago I had surgery on my neck. I had an abscess which needed to be cut open an drained. It was not malignant and, according to my doctor, just something that happens sometimes. No diseases. No health problems. I fully healed soon after and have never had any problems since. My assumption is that I might need a medical waiver for that. So, on top of the educational waiver, could I get 18X with a medical waiver?

Currently, I'm waiting for my medical records from my hospital so I can schedule my MEP date. While I haven't taken the real ASVAB yet, I have taken the practice test and scored an 86% without studying. I have since been studying and plan on scoring much higher for the real test. Would high ASVAB scores help me out in this situation? A high score on the DLAB test (if I can take it)?

I understand that 18X recruitment is according to the needs of the Army. I know I may not get an accurate answer, and I'd have to wait until MEP to get any go ahead. However, I'm hoping I could get some advice about what I could do before MEP.

From what I've found online and on this forum, this post (http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=191920&postcount=17) is the only GED 18X I've ever heard of....I will be PMing him but if anybody else could help out, I would appreciate it very much.

-JD

Surgicalcric
02-08-2010, 08:45
You are at the very minimum going to need to provide all your records from the surgeon to the Doc at MEPS for review. Thereafter they will decide if a medical waiver is needed. Last I talked to an AD recruiter they werent accepting 18X's with medical waivers.

Scimitar's case is different than yours -apples and oranges. If the Army isnt accepting GED's right now there is liitle you can do in the short term, other than wait til they are accepting them again. In the long term you could go to college then enlist after graduation. Do NOT stop after receiving 15 credits; thats stupid. Get your degree then look into the military thereafter. The 18X option isnt going away tomorrow and if it does you can go about coming into SF, if thats what you still want, like men did before the 18X program.

Crip

Scimitar
02-08-2010, 13:05
JD,

My post there doesn't tell the whole story. I essentially have a foriegn degree, which required some creativity and the assistance of higher-up to have it translated into the US system in a way that MEPS would accept. I went in as a High Grad (i.e. 30 credits +). I didn't get a GED waiver.

Scimitar

JDash86
02-09-2010, 02:56
Looks like I'll need those credits. Thanks for your responses.