PDA

View Full Version : Smartphones

The Reaper
02-06-2010, 18:33
I am coming up on the end of my service contract with Verizon, and would like to move to a smartphone.

I was looking at the iPhone, but do not like the AT&T coverage map.

In fact, about the only carrier with good reception across this area is Verizon, and theirs is spotty at my home, even with 4 towers allegedly within 1/2 mile of the house.

I am not happy with the Verizon Smartphone choices though.

Anyone in the Bragg area have a smartphone and coverage that they like?

Anyone have any smartphone advice?

TIA.

TR

Tatonka316
02-06-2010, 18:43
Sir!

PM in-bound hot!!!

molon labe:lifter

Anevolution
02-06-2010, 18:49
Sir,

You can keep your service, all you have to do is buy a unlocked phone http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/campaigns/campaigntemplate.asp?CampaignID=1126 this is where I get my phones from. Put in your sim card and your good to go.

V/r
Anevolution

The Reaper
02-06-2010, 19:01
Sir,

You can keep your service, all you have to do is buy a unlocked phone http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/campaigns/campaigntemplate.asp?CampaignID=1126 this is where I get my phones from. Put in your sim card and your good to go.

V/r
Anevolution

A:

The Verizon system is CDMA and does not use a SIM card.

Thanks anyway.

TR

alelks
02-06-2010, 19:04
I just switched from a Dare to an HTC Eris (android operating system). I wouldn't go back for anything. The android operating system is FANTASTIC. Only thing right now is I can't sync my Outlook on Windows 7 but a fix should be out soon.

Tons of FREE apps, GPS etc etc.

EDIT: Forgot to add that it's a Verizon phone.

Also see if they can switch you to the AT&T towers in your area and you may get better reception at home. My daughter's dropped out all the time at home so she called them and they switched her to the AT&T towers and she has almost a full signal at home now.

head
02-06-2010, 19:05
Sir,

I'm not a real nerd when it comes to smartphones but I upgraded to one in November. I got the Droid with Verizon and love it. I didn't like the onscreen keyboard of the iPhone so opted for the Droid, has a slide out QWERTY one. Haven't had a problem - every now and then an app will stall but it usally recovers on its own if you hit the sleep button. If not, you simply do a power cycle. Also, had great coverage around Bragg.

YMMV, but with my Verizon plan - they gave me either a new phone or a discount on a new phone every two years. At the time, the Droid had a $100 rebate plus I got a $50 discount for the "new every two" deal. Personally, I think they shouldve given me the phone for free..

The Reaper
02-06-2010, 19:07
I just switched from a Dare to an HTC Eris (android operating system). I wouldn't go back for anything. The android operating system is FANTASTIC. Only thing right nos is I can't sync my Outlook on Windows 7 but a fix should be out soon.

Tons of FREE apps, GPS etc etc.

EDIT: Forgot to add that it's a Verizon phone.

The digs I have seen on the Droid is that many of the apps are very buggy and cause frequent crashes, Verizon disables most of the functions and charges for everything, and that the battery life is terrible.

Do you have any experience with those issues?

TR

Anevolution
02-06-2010, 19:56
The digs I have seen on the Droid is that many of the apps are very buggy and cause frequent crashes, Verizon disables most of the functions and charges for everything, and that the battery life is terrible.
TR

Sir,
The droid also doesn't support flash player or pdf's. So some web site won't be available and you won't be able to watch video's out side of youtube. So if your getting it to do things like that you would be best served with the ipone. I have the g1 and it has the same software and I'm unhappy with it. Just my .02

V/r
Anevolution

deepblack 18x
02-06-2010, 20:07
Sir,
The droid also doesn't support flash player or pdf's. So some web site won't be available and you won't be able to watch video's out side of youtube. So if your getting it to do things like that you would be best served with the ipone. I have the g1 and it has the same software and I'm unhappy with it. Just my .02

V/r
Anevolution

iPhone does not support Flash either, it does however support Pdf files. Since you definitely want to stick with Verizon, how about a BlackBerry?

DB

jbour13
02-06-2010, 20:32
I guess it depends on your bandwidth usage and what you really want in a phone. Simple calling options and you can save big money every month by getting a basic smart phone that has been out for a while. You won't have cool stuff.

I run a Motorola Q with Windows mobile. I don't do email on it since it gets expensive. I primarily use it for linking to my Outlook files. It'll sync my contact data and calendar entries so I have no need to carry a planner with me.

The bigger battery gives only about 20 hours of idle time, about 4 of heavy usage.

I have sausage fingers so typing out texts to the wife (who is a text machine :D ) is easier with this model. She has a crapberry with the LCD touchscreen and I hit anywhere from 4 to 9 characters with my index finger when I type on it.

Hers is GPS enabled and does directions. I have a GPS and make directions. I don't get lost, yet she does. ;)

Penn
02-06-2010, 20:51
TR, 3G iphone one of the most complete compact portable commo systems ever devised.

vsvo
02-06-2010, 21:17
I used an old Blackberry Curve for two years and recently upgraded to the Bold 9700 (http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/blackberrybold9700/). However, it's a GSM-only phone so it's not offered by Verizon, but I love it enough to continue to put up with AT&T. The Bold 9700 gets the upgrades from the new Curve 8900, to include the same small form factor, a high-resolution screen, 3.2 MP camera, wi-fi and 3G service. It adds on top of that a trackpad, instead of the old trackball. The hi-res screen is gorgeous. After staring at the old Curve screen, I feel like I got a new pair of reading glasses looking at the new screen. The camera takes very nice pictures in good light (it wasn't that long ago that 3.2 MP cameras were the norm for point-and-shoot cameras). The best upgrade of all is the trackpad. It's fast and smooth, and no longer do BB users have to dismantle the trackball to blow away accumulated lint and fuzz which caused it to jam. My only complaint with the Bold 9700 is that the keys are positioned more closely adjacent to each other than they were on my old Curve, so it's easier to mistype, and less handy when wearing gloves.

If you use email a lot then BB is the way to go. The RIM service pushes emails to your device almost instantaneously (occasional service outages notwithstanding). I have about six different email accounts linked to my device, and sometimes it seems like emails arrive on the phone before they hit my inbox on the laptop. BB also comes with Blackberry Messenger, which is a slick chat application where you can connect with any other BB user, irrespective of carrier. It allows unlimited texting as long as you are on a BB data plan, whereas most carriers charge extra for simple text messaging. You can conference in other BBM contacts and carry on multi-party conversations. You can also send pictures and sound files to your BBM contacts. It is superior to text and email for carrying on a (non-voice) conversation, and I would have a hard time giving up this application.

My wife has an iPhone 3GS. It's a neat device, but I get frustrated trying to type fast with it. The lack of tactile feedback drives me nuts, and I have to deliberately type out my messages. In addition, Apple's email service pushes out messages at certain intervals, unless you manually check more often.

As for AT&T, I have a love-hate relationship with them, but it's the lesser of evils at this point. At least they are finally offering service in certain parts of Metro's tunnels and stations in DC. However, deep within buildings and parking garages around DC, Verizon still rules. 3G does not seem that much faster to me, since internet surfing is still painfully slow. I just connect to wi-fi any chance I get. Hope that helps, sir.

craigepo
02-06-2010, 21:56
I presently have an old Palm (680 I think) on the AT&T network. AT&T network here is horrible, and I will be switching to Verizon very quickly. The old Palm phone has been bombproof, few crashes, good calendar, easy syncing.

My wife had an IPhone, and it was a heck of a phone, but we still had the AT&T problem. I believe that Verizon is going to offer the Iphone early summer.

My wife drank too much wine, and dropped her Iphone in a place where the tires of my pickup were destined to drive, ergo we bought her a new phone, a Droid. The Droid has been great, but have had it only two months.

Many of my friends have Blackberries, and are lukewarm on them. One worry I have is with security. As I have mentioned on other threads, the State of Missouri won't let us use Blackberries if we sync remotely to a state computer, as Blackberry sends their sync info through Canada(and somewhere in there is a security problem----I am re-telling only what the state techy guys told me).

I will be going with either a Droid or Palm Pre, as both are now offered by Verizon(Palm Pre just released a week ago). Am waiting to hear reviews on the Palm Pre, but if it is as bombproof as my old Palm, will be purchasing pretty quickly.

It is my understanding that both the Droid and Palm Pre were Motorola's and Palm's answers to the IPhone. Online reviews for the Palm have been pretty good from what I have read, but I don't know anybody who has personally owned one. Would love to hear a 1st person account.

Also, the ability to use an SD/micro-SD card is handy, especially if you have one of the newer game cameras(gives you the ability to pull the SD card out of the camera, put it in the phone, and use the phone as a viewer, as opposed to spending $150 for a separate viewer).

Mr Furious
02-06-2010, 22:09
Go see the folks at SE Paging at the corner of McPherson and Morganton; in the strip mall behind the CVS or whatever that drug store is.

I told him what was important to me - email and the ability to fully collaborate and edit MS Office files and view graphics and pdf's. I walked out with a Samsung Blackjack running Windows Mobile with AT&T versus a Crackberry. I pay $148 a month for two phones - unlimited stateside data and calling with an international calling plan. I pay extra when I use the international data. The phone worked in the EU, Qatar and at a location in Bagram...sometimes I have to stand on one leg on the back deck facing North to get a signal in Linden, NC. Otherwise no complaints. Have a micro-SD card loaded with music for long flights.

The distributors like SE Paging can broker a dope deal compared to going to a corporate AT&T store which has zero flexibility. They'll kill you there.

TF Kilo
02-07-2010, 00:50
I have an AT&T Tilt.

Everything works great on it, there are "tweaks" you can do to it, its a sim card phone. Uses every system out there so it doesn't really matter where you are. Has external connections for home/mobile use, and I have it slaved as our home phone through our GE CellFusion phone system... basically turns the 2 cordless phones in the house into handsets for my cell. Easier to just plug it in to charge on my desk and be able to answer the phone upstairs, least for us.

An extended battery is a good thing, but I wouldn't bother unless you get a used phone and the battery life is starting to wane. They're only like 30$.

The other nice thing is that it has a 3mp camera that actually takes rather nice photos/video, useful for informational purposes. I've used it to record pre-existing damage to properties when I've been running the loader plowing snow. CYA to the extreme. GPS onboard, with a data plan and google maps it is nice having civilian grade sat imagery accessible by your phone, plus decent directions. It has external connections for cellular, GPS and WiFi as well, so if you spent time as a road warrior, a bluetooth headset and a cellphone cradle with the antenna cables going to it means you have great reception anywhere you have reception. I haven't found a place I don't have full reception when hooked up to the antenna on the impala.

You also can use your data plan on the phone, and various applications, to turn your smartphone into a wifi router... because browsing the internet is meager with that tiny screen, and it's just easier to be able to do things on a computer.

It takes micro-SD cards, so my phone also functions as my MP3 player. I have motorola's bluetooth stereo headset for music listening. Although it's a small screen, if you desired watching movies on it you can do that as well.

The HTC phones are some of the best on the market in my eyes. They just put things that are actually useful on the electronic gizmos.

I prefer windows mobile to every other smartphone OS out there. I had a blackberry for a couple years and although it functioned great as a phone, the versatility of it otherwise left me wanting. This keeps me from having to haul around a PDA Plus a cellphone, as well.

No down sides on a tilt that I can find. They have newer ones out, but all that means is that you can pick up an original tilt for cheaper.

Surgicalcric
02-07-2010, 09:33
I recently picked up a Droid Eris -Verizon- and love the thing; its leaps and bounds ahead of my Crackberry. I have had it for about 2 weeks now and havent experienced any issues with apps locking up on it. While it doesnt support flashplayer which can be a PITA but it does have a pdf viewer.

They are upgrading the operating system to a newer one in a couple months that is supposed to be leaps and bounds ahead of the current one. Also There is an entirely different Motorola built, Google operating system phone which will be out mid summer that is, according to the tech guys, going to put a dent in iPhone sales...

spherojon
02-09-2010, 17:45
http://www.billingworld.com/news/briefs/iphone-blackberry-droid-top-smartphones-it.html

If you wait awhile iPhone will be available for sale to all cell providers.

Roguish Lawyer
02-10-2010, 13:04
Blackberry

lksteve
02-10-2010, 13:06
BlackberryI concur...I've had one for a year and a half...they're pretty versatile and I've had no major issues with mine...alot of that depends on your service provider and plan, from what I can tell.

ksgbobo
02-10-2010, 15:45
I have an iPhone. Though, I am not a huge AT&T fan, I do enjoy my phone. I use it for talking, texting, email, browsing the internet for something quick and music. I have my work email account on my phone as well as my personal accounts, and have no problems with either of them. Texting, is fine. You just have to get used to the touch screen and reading over your texts before you send them out. There is an app for just about anything which could be very helpful. I would say an iPhone, it may take a couple weeks to get used to though.

Sacamuelas
02-10-2010, 16:16
Iphone 3GS. Best one on market for overall integration of the hardware (phone, gps, email, text, camera, video, wifi, etc) AND the multitude of applications to use it based on your particular demands. Music through I tunes is nice too.

greenberetTFS
02-10-2010, 16:16
My wife has the iPhone 3G and loves it...... :D She not only uses many of the apps,but loves to show the pics of our grand kids,great-grand kids when ever she gets the chance... :cool: As for me my Jitterbug is more than adequate........ ;)

Big Teddy :munchin

st1650
02-10-2010, 21:59
E71 or E71x

Best damn smartphone I've owned and I had many. I wrote on the subject on Socnet a year ago.

I've decided to upgrade my ageing Nokia E65 + Bluetooth SirfIII GPS to a more modern qwerty phone with onboard GPS.

I was hesitating among the BB Bold, HTC Touch Pro and the E71.

The Touch Pro was the best on paper and the availability of tons of 3rd party apps and custom firmwares on WM6.1 is always a plus. But handling the phone instore and it really showed it's downsides. It was very plastic, poorly made and the slide out keyboard wouldn't last very long. The touch-flo 3d interface was a poor iphone ripoff, it was slow, buggy and the dpad was just just awful.

BB are always good phone/communicaters but the lack of good gps and 3rd party apps is always a minus. It was also 200$ more expensive than the E71.

The E71 is based on the same OS than my E65. Except they worked to remove the sluggishness of the Symbian OS. It's now extremely fast, quite impressive. The qwerty keyboard is pretty good. The integrate GPS/A-GPS is plain awesome. It gives me a 10sec full GPS lock and it works on Garmin Mobile XT, Nokia Maps, Google Maps mobile and more. The fact that I can use all garmin maps on my phone loaded on a 8gb micro-SD is pretty nice. Not only routing but topo, bluecharts, etc are also available.

* It's the only smartphone that will give you the possibility to use Garmin 24K topo maps, you can use routes, you can use tracking, you can use off-road, etc, it's almost as good as a real deal garmin 60CSX.

Quadband-GSM/Dualband HSDPA. Fastest internet is north America. I can download at approx 1.4Mbit (which is 175k/sec, pretty fast for a mobile device). Bonus if you buy it unlocked.

Good battery life (LiPo 1500 mAh compared to the usual Li-Ion 900-1200mAh). Contrary to an iphone, you can stock up on batteries and just swap em when you need em.

So yeah the E71 can do pretty much all of the BB features: instant push-email, google calendar and contacts syncing wirelessly, and instant messenging.

It also has kickass 3rd party apps such as:

- Joikuspot: Turns your phone into a wireless router using 3.5G Data (Requires a good data plan tho :))
- Putty for S60: Must have for every geek. How cool is it to be able to edit your PHP FastCGI settings on your dedicated server while on the train/bus ?
- EXT-GPS: Turns your phone into a Bluetooth GPS. Especially nice to pair with a Toughbook.
- Truphone: Truphone is simply awesome if you're never home. If you're on a dataplan you can make very cheap/free VOIP phone calls using your 3.5G network. If you're not on a data plan you can make those calls on any wifi network. If there are no wifi networks but you're on a my5/my10 bundle with your provider you can add truphone's # to your list and use truphone anywhere. The app really integrate wells into the OS, it's not an external app that you launches, it uses the integrated VOIP function of the operating system.

E71 full specs: http://www.gsmarena.com/nokia_e71-2425.php

BTW even after 1.5 year Nokia still releases updates for this phone. I'm running the v4 firmware and it's fast and rock stable.
Note: I do not work for Nokia or any cell providers, I like their phone, they're also made in Finland, not China.

trogdor
02-10-2010, 22:11
QP TR,

Being a computer geek by profession, I have heard mostly good things about the Droid and Droid Eres except for the fact that they lock certain things down (which the iphone is equally guilty of). I have verizon, but am waiting for the google nexus one to come out for verizon in the spring. Google developed the android operating system and the nexus one was designed to their specs with the intent of being not locked down for a particular carrier. When it does come out for verizon though, you would need to order it through the google site (http://www.google.com/phone/) rather than through verizon.

spherojon
02-11-2010, 14:57
Good things happen to those who wait...

http://www.quickpwn.com/2009/12/new-iphone-4g-coming-to-verizon-wireless-in-2010.html

http://www.macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/analyst_apple_iphone_coming_to_verizon/

http://www.infosyncworld.com/news/n/10767.html

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/11/06/report_apple_to_launch_verizon_iphone_in_q3_2010.h tml

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2010/01/25/apple-analyst-sees-iphone-coming-to-verizonsprintt-mobileand-clearwire/

1982fxr
02-12-2010, 20:48
HTC Touch Pro 2 (Sprint) here. Works on Win Mobile 6.1 and does all of the usual functions. With the unlimited data plan it's $78/month. This setup works well wherever Sprint reception is available.

craigepo
02-19-2010, 10:16
I just got off the phone with the tech guy at the state courts administrator office, and learned a couple of things.
1. I was going to go with the new Palm Pre. However, the Palm Pre does not support secure remote syncing. Also, IBM's office stuff doesn't support the Palm operating system.
2. HTC stands for High Tech Computer. HTC currently makes many, if not most, of the smartphones on the market.
3. He recommended an HTC Touch Pro 2.

Freaking technical crap. Jack Bauer never has to deal with this

vsvo
02-21-2010, 10:45
I have a cousin in France with whom I recently connected in Blackberry Messenger. We can chat all day long without any additional charges beyond the monthly BB data plan charges. BBM puts the “crack” in Crackberry. One thing I like about the app is it denotes when your message has been delivered, when it has been read, and even if your contact is in the process of typing a message in response. If I’d had something like this during my dating years, the angst would have been reduced by a factor of a million! :D The BB is not the perfect device, and is not even the best all-around device, but it does a couple of things very well.

My sister-in-law and her family recently visited us from New York City. Her husband has the Verizon Blackberry Tour (http://phones.verizonwireless.com/blackberry/tour/), which appears on the surface to be the same as the Curve 8900. The Tour is crippled though, by its lack of wi-fi. Living and working in Manhattan, the only reliable cell phone carrier for him is Verizon.

He popped open the back and the device had a Verizon SIM card installed, for use while traveling on GSM networks overseas. He also told a funny story about his business dealings with folks in China. When he would call his counterpart’s cell phone in China, the guy would frantically tell him to hang up and call him back on Skype so that he didn’t have to burn his cell minutes.

Smokin Joe
02-22-2010, 20:47
Sir,

I recently moved from a Crackberry 8330 to the Motorola Droid.. I am a big fan of the droid, at times it has its issues. However, it recovers quickly, has phenomenal graphics, and is as fast as can be expected. You can talk on the phone and easily navigate to your phone book, notes, or password keeper with out any real drama....

Best of luck.

Jimi3T
03-18-2010, 18:24
I have the HTC Mytouch from T-mobile. It's a pretty good phone with only a few bugs that I have yet to figure out. All in all it's the apps that will make or break your phone. Some of the apps aren't very friendly with the android platform. I would recommend the Mytouch.

C0B2A
03-18-2010, 18:32
I use AT&T and have good service all around the Bragg area.. all except Vass, only place I have little to none. Out of all the options out right now the Iphone 3g-s is far above and beyond the rest.

Koa18B
03-18-2010, 23:28
I use AT&T and have good service all around the Bragg area.. all except Vass, only place I have little to none. Out of all the options out right now the Iphone 3g-s is far above and beyond the rest.

+1. If you keep your firmware at 3.1.2 you can still unlock it and will be able to use it in the box.

lindy
03-30-2010, 18:12
Other sites are speculating a CDMA iPhone in the fall of 2010. I was thinking of moving to the Droid but I may hold out just a little longer.

From the WSJ (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304370304575152242601774892.html?m od=WSJ_Tech_LEFTTopNews):

Apple Inc. plans to begin producing this year a new iPhone that could allow U.S. phone carriers other than AT&T Inc. to sell the iconic gadget, said people briefed by the company.

One person familiar with the situation said Pegatron is scheduled to start mass producing CDMA iPhones in September. Other people said, however, that the schedule could change and the phone may not be available to consumers immediately after production begins.

zauber1
03-30-2010, 19:42
If you have "artillery ears' like I do, you'll have difficulty hearing on an iPhone. The earbuds don't help much, either. There is an outer limit to which the volume can be turned.
I lost most of my hearing shooting 44 mag as a police officer and the Field Artillery did the rest.

Koa18B
03-30-2010, 22:26
If you use GSM. I would also recommend a Nokia N97, also the Sony Ericsson Satio is aweome as well. Both are Unlocked, and have an Awesome camera built-in.

Masochist
03-31-2010, 09:48
If you have "artillery ears' like I do, you'll have difficulty hearing on an iPhone. The earbuds don't help much, either. There is an outer limit to which the volume can be turned.
I lost most of my hearing shooting 44 mag as a police officer and the Field Artillery did the rest.

If you pair them with a headset like the Motorola MOTOROKR S9 Bluetooth headphones (http://direct.motorola.com/hellomoto/us/s9/), you can essentially double the volume cap. In addition to being wireless and compatible with anything Bluetooth 2.0, they can be used as a wireless headset for the gym/listening to music or as a hands-free solution for the phone. I find this very handy, as I bring the headset and iPhone everywhere and don't have to worry about carrying a separate MP3 player/iTouch and wired headphones to the gym (that ultimately get tangled as I try to work out :mad:).

Features:
- Volume controls on each side of the headphones allow you to change volume, switch between music and phone, etc.
- VERY lightweight (you won't really notice that you have them strapped to your head), and they don't move around while running.
- You can usually find a set for around $50 + S&H (don't buy direct from Motorola, they charge twice as much).
- Seamless exchange policy if you are an excessive sweater like me and your headset gets funky. They've made better seals on the newer version to prevent any water-related issues, but even then they'll replace them no questions asked (or so I was told) via their website. I got a new pair in less than five days. The S9s also have removable/adjustable rubber ear covers for easy sizing/cleaning.

Pitfalls:
- The headset isn't adjustable, but unless you have a melon larger than a basketball, this shouldn't be an issue. I have had friends with head sizes from a 6 3/8 all the way up to 7 5/8 use these and they stay on the ears fine.
- They look a little different, as they aren't as discreet as single-ear Bluetooth headsets designed for phones.

Fonzy
03-31-2010, 17:26
I've had an iphone for the better part of a year now. It was my little gift to myself after returning home from the sandbox. It's fun, sometimes useful tool to have.

That being said, I will not renew my contract with AT&T. I cannot speak for anywhere but central/eastern Virginia, but the service is crap compared to Verizon. I'm 26, have great hearing, and still sometimes have issues with the blasted iPhone.

There are apps for everything, but the vast majority of them are crap and/or games. It's easy to fall into a pitfall of buying "just a $1.99" app, until at the end of the month you realize you bought 15 of them and have extra charges on your bill. (Almost a year into it, I've only purchased one .99 app).

ATT&T also sends out bills electronically: great, unless your spam filter blocks the emails. I had issues trying to get a paper copy of my bill for the first 3 months.

I havent broken mind, because I'm extra careful, but I know friends that have broken numerous screens either by pressing too hard or light falls.

Maybe I'm just not reaching my iPhones potential, but I don't think it's worth the bill. 90% of my iPhone use is to access Pandora radio (free internet radio) when I'm at the gym, checking my email, or texting/calling. Aside from that, the few times I've been able to lookup information on my phone hasn't justified the cost.

I think it's a neat toy, but that's all I think it is, a toy. I'm not impressed.

alelks
03-31-2010, 18:21

TR

Sorry I missed this question.

I've had no problems with apps crashing at all and 99 percent of the apps I have on my phone are free. I do have 2 that I paid $1.99 for.

The battery life is terrible but when Verizon comes out with Droid version 2.0 it's supposed to give the Droid 30% more battery life. (We'll see).

All in all I LOVE the Droid.

Masochist
04-01-2010, 09:16
I've had an iphone for the better part of a year now. It was my little gift to myself after returning home from the sandbox. It's fun, sometimes useful tool to have.

That being said, I will not renew my contract with AT&T. I cannot speak for anywhere but central/eastern Virginia, but the service is crap compared to Verizon. I'm 26, have great hearing, and still sometimes have issues with the blasted iPhone.

There are apps for everything, but the vast majority of them are crap and/or games. It's easy to fall into a pitfall of buying "just a $1.99" app, until at the end of the month you realize you bought 15 of them and have extra charges on your bill. (Almost a year into it, I've only purchased one .99 app).

ATT&T also sends out bills electronically: great, unless your spam filter blocks the emails. I had issues trying to get a paper copy of my bill for the first 3 months.

I havent broken mind, because I'm extra careful, but I know friends that have broken numerous screens either by pressing too hard or light falls.

Maybe I'm just not reaching my iPhones potential, but I don't think it's worth the bill. 90% of my iPhone use is to access Pandora radio (free internet radio) when I'm at the gym, checking my email, or texting/calling. Aside from that, the few times I've been able to lookup information on my phone hasn't justified the cost.

I think it's a neat toy, but that's all I think it is, a toy. I'm not impressed.

TEHO, but I haven't had the same issues with the iPhone 3Gs, which I've had since it came out. Which iPhone are you using? I am in PA, and have had no major service issues traveling up and down the east coast. In particular I frequent Richmond and have had no service issues in the area. Maybe I'm lucky (and now cursed because I mentioned it ... *knocks on wood*)

As for apps, I simply stick with the free ones unless I have a desperate need for a specified app. The pool of free apps is becoming better in quality in the categories I frequent (media, music, travel), in that I haven't needed to purchase too many paid apps. And a lot of the better paid apps will offer a "lite" version to try before you buy.

The billing issue can be taken care of online. Sadly, sometimes it's better to spend 5 minutes using your search-fu than trying to deal with an AT&T rep as they're rarely helpful IMO. You had to opt to go completely paperless (although they nag you every time you sign on to make it happen). Sign in and go to Billing & Payments (top bar) >> Paperless Billing (left menu) and scroll to the bottom. There is a checkbox there to re-activate snail mail billing. Or just know that your billing cycle ends the same time every month and remember to log in and pay.

Not sure how your friends are dropping and breaking the screens, unless they don't have a case. In which case I have no sympathy ... spend $300+ for a phone but not $15 for some rubber/plastic to keep it safe. Make sure to get one that has a rubber outside (shock-absorber) and a plastic frame/corners (stability and keeps it from landing on the screen). I can see the fat-finger thing, but as long as you have a conscious awareness that you don't have to beat it to work, you should be fine.

As for battery life, I was told at the store that since it's a PITA to change the battery (and voids the warranty), the AppleCare Protection Plan (http://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone.html) would extend my warranty by a year (on top of the standard one year) and give me a new phone when my battery life decreased by 50% (in about a year, the store rep said). Right around a year my battery started depleting much faster (it's like they engineer them to do that so you purchase they extra plan), and I'm about to submit a claim for a new one after work today.

My major complaint is that AT&T forces you into the "iPhone" data plan because it's special, which jacks up the monthly bill. That, and AT&T has no customer loyalty. I've been with them for 10+ years, and the only discount I get is from my employers. I was told by a customer rep that it doesn't matter if you've been with them for a day or a decade, a customer is a customer. :mad: I don't think she's working there anymore.

logisticsclerk
04-22-2010, 22:13
Gentlemen all,

For what it is worth, the Blackberry Bold is standard issue within my team (non-US, recce troop). Good reception even under heavy cover, sending pictures is simple and effective, and as many others have said, BBM is a wonderful tool to get info shared between teammates and with the higher echelons fast. For me, the killer app is the Google Maps/Latitude feature, which is free to download, gives you a GPS function accurate to 3 metres, and best of all provides info relative to location, speed and distance of movement for all members. (It is nice not to have to wonder where everyone is...).

Whatever your decision, TR, don't leave home without Google Maps/Latitude on your phone. It is well worth it.

Razor
04-23-2010, 07:26
Gentlemen all...

Thanks for the info. Please download the "fill out your profile" app...wait, there isn't one. I guess you'll just have to it the old fashioned way, preferably before your next post. ;)

NoTime89
04-23-2010, 12:01
Since there is debate about the iPhone, I thought I would allow my .02 cents to fall where they may.

I worked for Apple as an iPhone Product Pro and I worked specifically with the iPhone during it's initial release in AT&T Stores in the Kentucky area.

My job duties initially required training in all major brand carriers' plans and smart phones. Since I was the only Apple employee, albeit a contract one, in the AT&T store I was mainly in charge of the iPhone, but as the craze and rush for the iPhone died away about 3/4 through the summer I found myself driving into neighboring counties to help with all smartphone problems.

I also helped out as a retail consultant, though I wasn't getting the nice commissions they were. It sure beat the hell out of playing on the iPhone beside my little kiosk for 10 hours a day.

Advantages to iPhone
1. You always have a charger. Whether it is that annoying kid playing his iPod too loudly in the subway station or the professional tapping away on his Macbook, you can easily find a place to stop and plug in your iPhone.
2. Piggybacking off number 1, since the plug is universal for Apple's you will find a wide range of docking stations.
3. Constantly evolving. No single phone can react to the iPhone. In fact, the only dissent on this forum about the iPhone recognizes that their phone is a 'response' to the iPhone.
4. Syncing- number one problem and number one cause for return of the iPhone--won't do as many 'techy' things as their smartphone. Number one reason why someone needed help with their non iPhone 'smartphone'--they arent smart enough to figure out how to read a manual and use all of its 'techy' contraptions. Result-Use the iPhone if you want a wide range of applications and programs, but dont expect it to be as functional (in the tech sense of the word) as a Blackberry. I dont need to type a paper or hold a 50 page powerpoint on my iPhone, but the CEO might. I didnt make commission (hourly) so I would have no problem telling a small business owner that a Blackberry was perfect for them while standing in my fancy Apple button down.
5. The iPhone isn't a brick. There are plenty of iPhone stress tests out there (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&oi=video_result&cad=16126116707662612458&ct=res&cd=5&ved=0CCEQtwIwBA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metacafe.com%2Fwatch%2F102409 0%2Fiphone_stress_test_from_pc_world%2F&rct=j&q=iphone+stress+tests&ei=CeDRS-OKJc278gbIuOXrDg&usg=AFQjCNFBJGaVGENN-8yfoWjsS0JJNAiIFA&sig2=jRiMmrcCAKb0JghbPvymLg) . I have seen them dropped down stairs and survive and fall out of someones very *cough* clumsy girlfriends lap onto the concrete, 3 feet below at a gas station and crack the screen.
6. You'll look like a stud. I can't tell you how much tail I get by whipping out my iPhone. Ok thats not true.

In regards to the Plans:
1. All AT&T smartphones have to purchase the data and internet plan now. So that fancy 'iPhone plan' that was mentioned is across the board.
2. Verizon, in my knowledge, won't be getting the iPhone anytime soon. In fact, I carried a Sprint phone in my right pocket during Apple Training because we all heard rumors that another company would pick up the iPhone. Thats been a 3 year rumor.

In short--Figure out what you are going to use the iPhone for, Sir. If it is to have a versatile, evolving, dependable, and across the board-functional phone that can specialize--I would say iPhone.

-NoTime

logisticsclerk
04-23-2010, 21:38
Thanks for the info. Please download the "fill out your profile" app...wait, there isn't one. I guess you'll just have to it the old fashioned way, preferably before your next post. ;)

Deepest apologies, Sir. Permission to start my remedial push-ups and sit-ups? Or should I just put aside a bottle of fine rum for you if you're ever down my way?

Razor
04-26-2010, 12:09
You did what was asked; that's sufficient.

lindy
01-10-2011, 20:28

TR

Sir,

Just curious if you ended up going with the Droid or are you holding out too? Word on the street is asking price should be $199 but I could get two Droids (that roam on international) for that.

Lindy

The Reaper
01-10-2011, 21:28
Sir,

Just curious if you ended up going with the Droid or are you holding out too? Word on the street is asking price should be $199 but I could get two Droids (that roam on international) for that.

Lindy

Lindy:

Got the Droid X from Verizon about 8 months ago, so far, pretty satisfied.

Couldn't keep waiting for the iPhone, and my friends who have the iPhones don't seem to be that happy.

Interesting to see how the new Verizon iPhone works on their network. IMHO, a lot of the problems the iPhone seems to be having are attributable to the crappy network and poor customer service of AT&T.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

BigJimCalhoun
01-10-2011, 21:59
I am eligible for a new Verizon phone this month. As a former Microsoft employee I have (was shamed into) a Windows Mobile 6.1 Samsung Omnia. I really hate this phone.

I am thinking of the iPhone but am not going to camp out overnight for one. I can wait a month or two. It sometimes pays not to be an early adopter. ATT does not work at my house, only Verizon.

lindy
01-11-2011, 16:56
from Verizon's iPhone web:

Cellular and wireless

* CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
* 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology

Damn. I was expecting 4G. Hmmm. I wonder if there's an app for that? :p

cszakolczai
01-22-2011, 02:19
Lindy:

Got the Droid X from Verizon about 8 months ago, so far, pretty satisfied.

Couldn't keep waiting for the iPhone, and my friends who have the iPhones don't seem to be that happy.

Interesting to see how the new Verizon iPhone works on their network. IMHO, a lot of the problems the iPhone seems to be having are attributable to the crappy network and poor customer service of AT&T.

Just my .02, YMMV.

TR

Have to agree with you 100%

I had AT&T as my wireless provider for a number of years, terrible would be an understatement. Both the customer service and wireless service in general was terrible. I switched to Verizon and have a much better service.

The iPhone is on my list as my new upgrade, but I have a feeling that once the iPhone is released a lot of the droids are going to be dirt cheap. If that is the case I will be getting a droid instead.

The iPhone has had its glitches and in my opinion AT&T played a perfect guinea pig for solving most of them while apple and verizon ironed out a deal between each other. Although Verizon has been promoting Ipads by me almost immediately after there initial release, hinting at the upcoming deal between the iPhone and themselves and making the official release less impressive. Either way I'm pretty excited for the iPhone, but I'm even more excited for my anticipated discounts on older droid models left over.

JJ_BPK
01-22-2011, 04:20
from Verizon's iPhone web:

Cellular and wireless

* CDMA EV-DO Rev. A (800, 1900 MHz)
* 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi (802.11n 2.4GHz only)
* Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR wireless technology

Damn. I was expecting 4G. Hmmm. I wonder if there's an app for that? :p

Just a little side info,, I believe that if you plan any overseas trips to the EU or UK or where-ever, you need a un-locked phone that supports GSM & Quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 mhz).

We have an older Motorola and a sim from Orange for different countries. Runs .10 USD @ minute.

We have had ATT and are now Verizon. Both have outrageous UK & EU rates..

:munchin

cszakolczai
01-22-2011, 11:04
Just a little side info,, I believe that if you plan any overseas trips to the EU or UK or where-ever, you need a un-locked phone that supports GSM & Quad-band (850, 900, 1800, 1900 mhz).

We have an older Motorola and a sim from Orange for different countries. Runs .10 USD @ minute.

We have had ATT and are now Verizon. Both have outrageous UK & EU rates..

:munchin

My mother just picked up a Droid from Verizon which is a "world" phone according to them. Not sure how they do that if it has a certain MHZ rating. She uses it for real estate and when she travels home.

JJ_BPK
01-22-2011, 11:11
My mother just picked up a Droid from Verizon which is a "world" phone according to them. Not sure how they do that if it has a certain MHZ rating. She uses it for real estate and when she travels home.

Their "world" phones should be quad. The key to using other carriers(cheaper) sims is to get it un-locked. Most if not all cell phones come locked into the service providers network.

If you don't plan to change sims,, just make sure it's a world phone and verify the the countries you plan to visit..

Irish_Army01
01-22-2011, 18:02
This is the one I have..

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S

BigJimCalhoun
01-22-2011, 22:32
Regarding the iPhone, reports are they are moving to a new type of screw that has a head like a 5-leaf clover to prevent authorized battery replacement.

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2011/01/21/apple-iphones-unremovable-pentalobe-screws/?test=faces

DinDinA-2
02-09-2011, 12:15
After living in a technology vacuum, since retiring 3 years ago, I decided to get a smart phone. I opted for Verizon's service since their reception is better than AT&T in some of the fringe areas I need service, both in Alaska and oregon.

I went with the Droid 2 Global, which as far as I can tell has both CDMA and GMS capability. I like the slide out keyboard, to the side instead of bottom, as the keys are larger. Other FOGs can appreciate this.

These things are absolutely friggin amazing! The apps are about 99% useless, but some are pretty neat. I can tether it to my laptop too. The GPS mapping app is better and faster than my Garmin MAP76csx. I was in costco yesterday and it located me right at the Metamucil display...amazing! Shit, I even found my car in the parking lot...first try!!

With this phone, you CAN be talking on a call AND surf the net or use other apps at the same time...unlike Verizons new Iphone.

Gotta go, I got mail.

Trip_Wire (RIP)
02-10-2011, 20:29
I was waiting for Verizon to offer the iPhone, I pre-ordered the VWZ 16GB iPhone 4 to replace my LG Versa w/keyboard phone. I got delivery Tuesday and have been busy transferring apps and getting it ready of my use. Since I'm a long time Mac user I'm able to transfer stuff pretty easily. (Mobile Me Sync's) for all my Contacts, Calendar, etc.)

So far, I'm very happy with the phone. (Except for the extra $$.) :lifter

I never did like the Versa!

I was able to make a bluetooth link and transfer contacts to my Lexus 350 vehicle without the problems I had with the LG, which was a recommended phone by Lexus when I bought the car in 2010. The phone now works just fine through the car's system.

lindy
02-19-2011, 10:14
I've owned Verizon's iPhone for a week now and am very satisfied. This is my first "smartphone" so some of the coolness could be attributed to the fact that I no longer have to wait for a computer to check AKO, other email, and yes FB. The video chat (Wi-Fi access required) is great! We use it quite a bit with our youngest who is in NYC.

I dig the apps (no games) especially the news feeds but will admit that the text entry took (is still taking) some getting used to. I have small fingers and I still hit the wrong fricken letters on the virtual keyboard but it's getting better.

In my opinion, the best thing about the iPhone: I don't need anything else. I have still and motion video camera, internet access, phone, GPS (via app), iTunes, and even streaming radio. Battery doesn't last too long though and is dependent on how much I'm using the internet or other apps.

My oldest daughter has owned a Droid for several months and plans to switch to the iPhone later this summer.

cszakolczai
03-01-2011, 10:17
I've owned Verizon's iPhone for a week now and am very satisfied. This is my first "smartphone" so some of the coolness could be attributed to the fact that I no longer have to wait for a computer to check AKO, other email, and yes FB. The video chat (Wi-Fi access required) is great! We use it quite a bit with our youngest who is in NYC.

I dig the apps (no games) especially the news feeds but will admit that the text entry took (is still taking) some getting used to. I have small fingers and I still hit the wrong fricken letters on the virtual keyboard but it's getting better.

In my opinion, the best thing about the iPhone: I don't need anything else. I have still and motion video camera, internet access, phone, GPS (via app), iTunes, and even streaming radio. Battery doesn't last too long though and is dependent on how much I'm using the internet or other apps.

My oldest daughter has owned a Droid for several months and plans to switch to the iPhone later this summer.

I gave in and bought an iPhone as well. I was hoping the droid X went on sale, but if I'm dropping 200 dollars in one shot on a brand new phone, I was going to get the iPhone. The Droid X is 200-50 dollar mail in rebate but that rebate isnt in my bank account so to me it was a lost cause. Love the phone, its just amazing. It does everything and has already saved my butt a few times. What did we ever do without the internet at our fingertips 24/7? :D