PDA

View Full Version : Band of Brothers,Pacific campaign..........

greenberetTFS
02-04-2010, 14:15
Just heard on the newscast that they(HBO) are making another Band of Brothers,but this time in the Pacific...... :cool: They didn't mention what unit,could be it's the 11th ABN or the 509 PIR,since the 509 served in both the Europe and Pacific campaigns......;)

Big Teddy :munchin

Kyobanim
02-04-2010, 14:28
Teddy, you keep forgetting the links :munchin

http://www.hbo.com/#/the-pacific

Pete
02-04-2010, 14:32
. They didn't mention what unit,could be it's the 11th ABN or the 509 PIR,since the 509 served in both the Europe and Pacific campaigns......;)

Marines - the story follows three Marines.

wet dog
02-04-2010, 14:32
The focus is on the US Marine Corp.

Should be good. I'm still catching episodes of Band of Brothers.

Fonzy
02-04-2010, 14:33
HBO is re-airing the origional series right now to create some hype. The first 5 episodes have shown up on my On Demand.

rubberneck
02-04-2010, 14:34
The Pacific tells the stories of three Marines John Basilone, Robert Leckie and Eugene Sledge. The material from the mini series came from four different books. China Marine and With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. Red Blood, Black sand by Chuck Tatum. Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.

greenberetTFS
02-04-2010, 15:04
Teddy, you keep forgetting the links

http://www.hbo.com/#/the-pacific

Thanks K,I couldn't run the trailer because my buffer doesn't seem to work..... :rolleyes:

head
02-04-2010, 15:14
Judging from the trailers, it seems to focus more on the personal lives of those Marines versus the unit (like in Band of Brothers). There were some clips of the guy's father talking to him, getting married, and a sex scene. I'm looking forward to the show... I just hope they aren't trying to go for a wider demographic and throwing in some romance BS.

wet dog
02-04-2010, 15:19
I just hope they aren't trying to go for a wider demographic and throwing in some romance BS.

Nothing gets past you, you got it the first try.

Sex sells. Having said that, I'd like to more less dressed Islanders from the musical Pacific, and the hot nurses of WWII, Hawaii.

head
02-04-2010, 15:30
Nothing gets past you, you got it the first try.

Sex sells. Having said that, I'd like to more less dressed Islanders from the musical Pacific, and the hot nurses of WWII, Hawaii.

Don't get me wrong - I'm all for naked ladies - and those would fit in the storyline just fine.

spherojon
02-04-2010, 15:35
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26973

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pacific_%28miniseries%29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e99B80crU3E
http://www.pacificfans.com/

Richard
02-04-2010, 15:42
They didn't mention what unit,could be it's the 11th ABN or the 509 PIR,since the 509 served in both the Europe and Pacific campaigns...

Not quite.

The 509th was formed from the 2 Bn/503rd Parachute Regimental Combat Team prior to the 503rd deploying to the PTO - the 509th only served in the ETO and never in the PTO in WW2.

The 11th Airborne consisted of the following 'assigned' units:

Headquarters Company
511th Parachute Infantry Regiment
187th Glider Infantry Regiment
188th Glider Infantry Regiment
127th Airborne Engineer Battalion
457th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion
472nd Glider Field Artillery Battalion
674th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion
675th Glider Field Artillery Battalion
152nd Airborne Anti-Aircraft Artillery
511th Signal Company
221st Medical Company
408th Quartermaster Company
11th MP Company

Additionally - it had 'attached' on occasion:

503rd Parachute Regimental Combat Team
462nd Parachute Field Artillery Battalion
161st Airborne Engineer Company

The PRCTs were not permanently assigned to a specific division and could be added or used independently as directed. The 503rd, 507th, and 509th were all independent parachute units.

Richard

Pete
02-04-2010, 15:45
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26973

OK, spherojon, you were first - but if you'd quit posting in the middle of the night maybe more people would see it.:D

greenberetTFS
02-04-2010, 16:33
Not quite.

The 509th was formed from the 2 Bn/503rd Parachute Regimental Combat Team prior to the 503rd deploying to the PTO - the 509th only served in the ETO and never in the PTO in WW2.

The 11th Airborne consisted of the following 'assigned' units:

Headquarters Company
511th Parachute Infantry Regiment
187th Glider Infantry Regiment
188th Glider Infantry Regiment
127th Airborne Engineer Battalion
457th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion
472nd Glider Field Artillery Battalion
674th Parachute Field Artillery Battalion
675th Glider Field Artillery Battalion
152nd Airborne Anti-Aircraft Artillery
511th Signal Company
221st Medical Company
408th Quartermaster Company
11th MP Company

Additionally - it had 'attached' on occasion:

503rd Parachute Regimental Combat Team
462nd Parachute Field Artillery Battalion
161st Airborne Engineer Company

The PRCTs were not permanently assigned to a specific division and could be added or used independently as directed. The 503rd, 507th, and 509th were all independent parachute units.

Richard

Richard,

Gregory Peck,Man in the Gray Flannel Suit,He played Tom who is 33 years old, a Harvard graduate. He barely survived as an Army paratroop officer during World War II, having fought in both the European and Pacific combat theaters (an unlikely scenario, but it sets the stage for his wartime love affair).He wore the 509 Geronimo patch I'm almost positive on that !!!!!!! :confused: Could it be the technical adviser blew it? :confused: Maybe I blew it......:confused:

Richard
02-04-2010, 16:40
Richard,

Gregory Peck,Man in the Gray Flannel Suit,He played Tom who is 33 years old, a Harvard graduate. He barely survived as an Army paratroop officer during World War II, having fought in both the European and Pacific combat theaters (an unlikely scenario, but it sets the stage for his wartime love affair).He wore the 509 Geronimo patch I'm almost positive on that !!!!!!! :confused: Could it be the technical adviser blew it? :confused: Maybe I blew it......:confused:

Teddy,

Although that was just a movie, there was a shift of personnel from the ETO to the PTO for the expected invasion of Japan to finish the war after the Nazi surrender in May of 1945. Soldiers in the ETO without the requisite 'combat points' or with 'critical' skills were then being reassigned to the PTO, and it is conceivable a young 509th vet of the ETO would have been reassigned to the PTO and been seen therre with the 509th SSI. However, the 509th never left the ETO as a unit.

Richard

greenberetTFS
02-04-2010, 16:40
Judging from the trailers, it seems to focus more on the personal lives of those Marines versus the unit (like in Band of Brothers). There were some clips of the guy's father talking to him, getting married, and a sex scene. I'm looking forward to the show... I just hope they aren't trying to go for a wider demographic and throwing in some romance BS.

This story line reminds me the movie "Battle Cry"...........;)

The Reaper
02-04-2010, 19:39
The Pacific tells the stories of three Marines John Basilone, Robert Leckie and Eugene Sledge. The material from the mini series came from four different books. China Marine and With the Old Breed by Eugene Sledge. Red Blood, Black sand by Chuck Tatum. Helmet for My Pillow by Robert Leckie.

"Machinegun" Johnny Basilone. Winner of the MoH. Excellent!

TR

Remington Raidr
02-04-2010, 19:44
With the Old Breed was a hellava read. I just dumped my cable service. Damn

Thurman
02-04-2010, 21:16
The trailers have been out forever, I cannot wait

If it's even half as good as Band of Brothers then I will be thrilled

"I believe in ammunition": (http://www.hbo.com/the-pacific/index.html#/the-pacific/about/video/trailer-1.html/eNrjcmbOUM-PSXHMS8ypLMlMDkhMT-VLzE1lzmcu1CzLTEnNh8k45+eVpFaUsDFyMjKySSeWluQX5CRW 2pYUlaayMQIAUmYXOA==)

FMF DOC
02-05-2010, 06:49
If it's anything like Band Of Brothers it should be excellant, was going to drop HBO until I saw this was coming out. Dropped Showtime instead...Can't Wait :munchin

Utah Bob
02-05-2010, 10:25
If it's anything like Band Of Brothers it should be excellant, was going to drop HBO until I saw this was coming out. Dropped Showtime instead...Can't Wait :munchin

I dropped HBO before Band of Brothers came out.
Now I have the boxed set.;)

6.8SPC_DUMP
02-06-2010, 01:45

While my viewing of Band of Brothers is likely a world away from what you experience when watching it Sir; I'm relieved that there will be some difference in format (or whatever the plot line term is).

It's not B/C I don't agree with your worries - it's just that Band of Brothers was so perfect I'd hate to see a lesser version - trying to copy it and falling short.

I didn't buy the DVD box set because I tend to neglect the movies I own - but can't wait until HBO shows a new episode next week. (Hopefully I will buy it some day!)

To me our great Nation's role in WWII is the defining point in our Nation's history - and the greatest act of any country on earth.

God bless our Troops in Afghanistan - and elsewhere - always.

ZonieDiver
02-06-2010, 07:10
I dropped HBO before Band of Brothers came out.
Now I have the boxed set.;)

The boxed set of "Band of Brothers" - one of the best Christmas presents I ever got! If you don't get a lump in your throat when the actual veterans speak at the beginning of the episodes, well, you and I probably wouldn't get along very well.

greenberetTFS
02-06-2010, 12:47
The boxed set of "Band of Brothers" - one of the best Christmas presents I ever got! If you don't get a lump in your throat when the actual veterans speak at the beginning of the episodes, well, you and I probably wouldn't get along very well.

You know ZD,I thought I was the only one who felt that way after hearing them...:)