PDA

View Full Version : AR Accessories Question

ld08
01-27-2010, 21:03
After searching I was unable to find a thread directly related to my question, I am trying to avoid creating a superfluous thread by posting my questions here;

My senior design project for mechanical engineering is to begin in the fall semester and I've been toying with the idea of designing, engineering, and creating custom AR accessories with a SolidWorks type program and building a preliminary model through a CNC or a rapid prototyping machine. As this is something that I would enjoy doing as my final project, I would need input from this experienced community on design and features. If interested I could take design specifications and create a totally custom product (i.e vertical fore grip, mounting brackets/bases, etc, etc..). The questions that remain are:

1.) Would this be a worthwhile venture, with an already crowded AR-15 aftermarket?

2.) Is there a particular piece of equipment that needs remodeling/redesigning either for personal preference or functionality?

3.) Would PS.com members be willing to send design input?

4.) If successful, would QP's be interested in field testing?

Thank you for your time,
LD

ld08
01-27-2010, 21:51
The Reaper,

In somewhat loose relation to gun discussion, it was my intent to get picture examples of gun accessories that are currently in use, by the QP community, and receive input to how that particular item could be made better ( in terms of ergonomics, weight, reliability, durability, etc..). I apologize for not explaining myself intentions clearly and ultimately my non sequitur post. If my previous post needs to be retracted I will create a new thread as not to take this one further off course.

LD

Razor
01-27-2010, 23:38
You're welcome.

ld08
01-28-2010, 05:17
Thank you Razor

The Reaper
01-28-2010, 18:08
I cannot think of too many AR accessories that I want and cannot already find in a catalogue.

The only ones I am really missing either cost too much or are illegal.

TR

ld08
01-28-2010, 19:50
This is what I thought originally. A friend had asked me to design a mounting bracket for her AR, because she couldn't find one that she liked. Realizing that there are plenty of accessories out there for the AR, I wanted to produce a totally custom piece with professional input/experience going into the product; Not something that a engineer in a cubicle thought would work.

I still enjoying designing parts, so if you guys are interested in a design that has been floating in your mind, send me the dimensions and I can build it a CAD/CAM program and send the screen shots.

TR, thank you for the advice, unfortunately, my thoughts on the future of this venture were correct.

jatx
01-28-2010, 20:05
Hmm, how about a rear sling attachment point that clamps onto the receiver extension like the Tango Down PR4, but has a single "track" similar to the Magpul for a MASH hook or HK link? I have a Magpul that I've never installed simply because it's a PITA.

The idea would be to ease strong-side/weak-side transitions using something better than a push-button swivel, and that Joe can install without making a "permanent modification" to his weapon...

ld08
01-28-2010, 22:31
jatx,

I will start researching the products and dimensions

Sinister
01-28-2010, 22:35
How about a reflex suppressor that fits and locks over any standard (M16/M4) flash suppressor and extends the length of said weapon no more than 4 inches -- and adds no more than 8 ounces to weapon weight.

It would allow the Soldier to index and lock in the dark with no zero shift and be good for at least 5,000 rounds.

ld08
01-29-2010, 06:57
Sinister,

Would there be any legality issues with designing a reflex suppressor?

JJ_BPK
01-29-2010, 08:32
Sinister,

I think you need to stop right here and do your homework.

If you want to get into the weapons design business and maybe even manufacture these designs, you need to know the law and the basic business of costing, designing, manufacturing, and marketing product.

It appears you are way to early in your education process to start designing.

To co-produce a product with input from experts, implies you are prepared to contribute. Asking ALL THE QUESTIONS, is not contribution,, it's asking for an basic education from point A to Z..

My $00.0002 :mad:

ld08
01-29-2010, 11:36
JJ_BPK,

I fully understand where you are coming from, there has been a great number of questions I have asked myself during the process that I have answered; some with the help of others. As of today, there has been a shift from freelance design to a sponsored senior design project, for many reasons.

As with most senior design projects, the student(s) are sponsored by a company, to solve a problem that company has, as real world work experience and the culmination of everything you've learned through the curriculum; Essentially and unpaid internship.

Recently, I've received a very promising email from an AR part manufacturer who is interested in sponsoring a mechanical engineering senior design team to work on some products. Trying to be proactive about the situation, I wanted to gather as much information as possible on equipment that they produce, that soldiers in the field felt needed revision.

I do realize that I am not up to date with current law regulating the production of firearm accessories. But ultimately, I'd be working as an intern for the company at hand, the legal aspect is not my concern, as the lawyers that work for the company will earn their dollars doing their job. My responsibilities will be product performance, reliability, durability, and war fighter approval. However, if I did this in my spare time, on my own, that is where the legal implications become unclear.

I just want to be able to bring suggestions and ideas to the design department of that company, and create the best possible product available.

Sinister
01-29-2010, 14:04
Son, product engineering and design is fine -- but if you don't know the application or the regulation of the finished product you are out of your league. Stick to what you know. Ask others for help before you inadvertantly go "Over a line."

koz
01-29-2010, 15:34
Sinister,

Just so you understand the seriousness of weapon manufacturing - to include prototypes - if you get caught with a PART of a suppressor and no NFA paperwork, you can and will be charged with a felony, 10 yrs in jail and $10,000 or more fine. They (ATF) don't play around with this stuff. You would need to be an FFL holder and a SOT manufacturer to make a suppressor

Violations of the Act are punishable by up to 10 years in federal prison and forfeiture of all devices or firearms in violation, and the individual's right to own or possess firearms in the future. The Act provides for a penalty of $10,000 for certain violations.[6] A willful attempt to evade or defeat a tax imposed by the Act is a felony punishable by up to five years in prison and a $100,000 fine ($500,000 in the case of a corporation or trust), under the general tax evasion statute.[7] For an individual, the felony fine of $100,000 for tax evasion could be increased to $250,000.[8]

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-silencers.html

Maytime
01-29-2010, 16:27
As a mechanical engineer myself, I agree with the posts re: manufacturing restricted parts. I just wouldn't go there unless your client had all their ducks in a row with express written consent from the BATFE green-lighting the product development (unlikely for a university engineering project).

That said, there are plenty of other ways to improve current technologies, it is all about finding a need. Last night I had an idea for an inexpensive yet possibly useful weapon accessory:

Say you have some sort of [expensive] light/laser/gadget attached to the side or bottom rail of your M4. Say you are clearing a room and you somehow snag the gizmo on a door frame, obstacle, etc, and you end up breaking said gizmo while throwing off your aim. What if there was a product that allowed the expensive toy to quickly detach without interrupting your line of sight? I suppose you could dummy cord the toy so you don't lose it.

Or, you are riding in a vehicle over rough terrain and you don't want your expensive attachments to get banged around, you simply quickly detach them, put them in a pouch or pocket, and when you approaching your destination, you can easily snap them back on without taking off your gloves.

Basically my idea is a really simple rail attachment that connects to another rail via a T-slot with a spring-loaded ball plunger screwed into it that snaps into the bottom portion. See the pics to get the gist of it.

In the manufacturing world, time is money, and this idea stems from the lean concept of quick tool changover, or decreasing the amount of time it takes to say, change to a different size drill bit, as an example.

Another example of this is the mounts for the M68 and ACOG; they utilize quick release screws or levers while maintaining relative accuracy, but zeroing is still necessary.

QPs/BTDTs feel free to tear this apart, I haven't really sat down and thought about it yet.

ETA legal CYA stuff: The information contained in this post is the sole property of myself. Any reproduction in part or as a whole without my written permission is prohibited.

jatx
01-29-2010, 17:21
Maytime, Mark LaRue has already solved the problem of QD accessories with return to zero...

Maytime
01-29-2010, 17:28
Figures. I haven't done any research so I'm probably way behind the curve anyway.

ETA; I guess it was more of an exercise in finding a solution to a potential problem than a serious product development idea.

Justinmd
01-30-2010, 19:49
I definitely encourage you to try this venture. In fact, that is how I got my start, except I designed a rifle. However, the fact that you have to ask what kinds of products need to be developed/enhanced does not bode well for you. An intense knowledge/familiarity with the platform would tell you what you need to know. How many industrial designers/engineers are out there that can design a super cool/efficient piece of gear that really solves no problem? You just won't be able to make a worthwhile contribution unless you have in depth knowledge of your subject matter, or someone who does, that holds your hand the whole way.

Since I am feeling generous, haha, I will give you a project that will be the future, at least partially, of small arms. Design a lightweight mechanism to develop electricity from the cycling of the bolt carrier group.

Alternatively, develop a gas system that will delay carrier movement for at least .010 sec (10ms) after ignition, before the carrier group is cycled. (Normal delay is ~3.5ms)

If you are successful, I will show your work to my former/current employer and you can take it from there.
Justin

After searching I was unable to find a thread directly related to my question, I am trying to avoid creating a superfluous thread by posting my questions here;

My senior design project for mechanical engineering is to begin in the fall semester and I've been toying with the idea of designing, engineering, and creating custom AR accessories with a SolidWorks type program and building a preliminary model through a CNC or a rapid prototyping machine. As this is something that I would enjoy doing as my final project, I would need input from this experienced community on design and features. If interested I could take design specifications and create a totally custom product (i.e vertical fore grip, mounting brackets/bases, etc, etc..). The questions that remain are:

1.) Would this be a worthwhile venture, with an already crowded AR-15 aftermarket?

2.) Is there a particular piece of equipment that needs remodeling/redesigning either for personal preference or functionality?

3.) Would PS.com members be willing to send design input?

4.) If successful, would QP's be interested in field testing?

Thank you for your time,