PDA

View Full Version : hornady tap .223

wiwarrior
01-25-2010, 09:14
QP's,

My PD is going with the new Hornady TAP (Tactical Application Police) for AR 15's. Going with the 55GR round. Anyone with experience with this round? Is the polymer tip better than a 69 GR HP or 62GR SS109 Green tip? Any thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks

jatx
01-25-2010, 21:34
I can't comment on the terminal ballistics, but I bought a large amount of the steel cased 69 gr TAP awhile back for training and have never experienced a single negative event. The accuracy is very good, as well.

brianksain
09-09-2010, 09:09
Edited.

Ken Brock
09-11-2010, 10:36
my department used to issue the TAP in .223 but we never had any live tissue testing with it

accuracy and reliability were fine

wiwarrior
12-19-2010, 16:06
We just had two separate events with our ballistic tips breaking while chambering in cold weather. We are in WI and in a cold snap. We are also contacting Hornaday and will see what they say. I will advocate for us to switch to Federal tactical bonded ammo! lost confidence with the TAP round.

Ramirez
12-20-2010, 07:46
I use the 75G for hog hunting. I've shot 2 hogs with it.

One was a lil guy. I got him in the shoulder, it fraged and the jacket was stuck in the other shoulder. When it fragged it went straight up and broke his spine.

2nd one was facing me at 100 yards. I got him in the neck, and it exited out though his ribs. Blew a hole around the size of my first. The photo is slightly graphic, but if you're interested I can post it up for you.

SMP9168
01-07-2011, 15:02
We tested the Hornady TAP in .223 through auto glass and gel tests. Didn't perform any better really than our Federal 55 gr hollow points.

Have had excellent results with the Federal hollow points with little to no over penetration. They have proven to be a devastating round in live tissue.

Carry the Federal in separate magazine, just in case we need to penetrate a barrier. I would be causious in using bonded ammo as a general duty round in a law enforcement environment.

koz
01-07-2011, 16:52
http://concealedcarryholsters.org/wp-content/files/FBI-Analysis-on-PA-Police-Shootout.pdf

I don't know if Hornady has changed their round since the above incident but it did not meet the FBI standard for terminal performance.