PDA

View Full Version : 5th SFG Soldier named USASOC Medic of the year

koz
01-21-2010, 10:22
Congrats and well done.

---------
http://news.soc.mil/releases/News%20Archive/2010/Jan/100121-01.html

FORT CAMPBELL, Ky. (USASOC News Service, Jan. 21, 2010) - For the second year in a row, a Soldier from 5th Special Forces Group (Airborne) was named the United States Army Special Operations Command Special Forces Medic of the Year. Sgt. 1st Class Owen Wendelin of B Company, 2nd Battalion, 5th SFG (A) received the award for actions performed while serving in Afghanistan and at Fort Campbell.

While on patrol in Helmund Province in northeast Afghanistan, Wendelin's Operational Detachment-Alpha came under heavy and accurate fire from machine guns, small arms and rocket propelled grenades. Several members of the patrol were injured by small arms.

Wendelin raced to each man rendering life saving measures, placing his own life at risk. He gave medical treatment while returning effective weapons fire. Wendelin continued these actions until a helicopter could medically evacuate his injured team members.

“I was just doing my job,” Wendelin said, exemplifying the "Quiet Professional" motto of Special Forces.

Service in combat is not the only consideration for the award. Duty performance while in garrison is also factor. When not deployed, Wendelin trained other Soldiers in the principles of tactical combat casualty care.

Wendelin has been serving as a SF medical sergeant for 4 years, and has deployed twice to Iraq and once to Afghanistan.

The USASOC Surgeon, Col. Peter Benson, presented Wendelin the award at the 2009 Special Operations Medical Conference in Tampa, Florida. Benson said the award represents the best of the best among Special Operations medical sergeants.

Wendelin accepted the award with his family present. He thanked everyone who trained him in medicine and all the men on his team.

The USASOC Medic of the Year award is presented annually to a medical sergeant who has exhibited exemplary performance. Last year’s award went to Sgt. 1st Class Eric Strand, of 3rd Battalion, 5th SFG (A).

nousdefions
01-21-2010, 11:07
Job well done, SFC Wendelin. Glad to see that B/2/5 SFG(A) continues to set the standard!

greenberetTFS
01-21-2010, 13:12
Congratulations Warrior on a job well done....... :lifter:lifter:lifter

Big Teddy :munchin

JJ_BPK
01-21-2010, 13:29
Congratulations SFC Wendelin..

Thank you for your service...

:lifter:lifter:lifter:lifter

Rogue
01-21-2010, 13:54
Congratulations on a job well done

Goggles Pizano
01-21-2010, 14:21
Congratulations SFC Wendelin!

18DWife
01-21-2010, 14:58
2nd yr in a row :cool: Outstanding

PRB
01-21-2010, 18:51
Congratulations Doc.
I have always been in awe of our SF medics and their abilities. I've loved watching them work on the indig with some other US Med Doc in the AO and watch that Doctors face when he saw the competance/skill and knowledge
these great operators posses.
They are Warriors too...one of the finest killers I know is a retired SF Medic.

PinelandVet66
01-23-2010, 17:02
I had the pleasure of serving with Owen that very day and I have to tell you he is definitely a guy you can depend on. Whether it be when the shit hits the fan or you just need a guy to help you load out the trucks. Owen is always willing to lend a hand. Hats off to you Bro!

jbour13
01-23-2010, 17:11
Congrats SFC Wendelin

LongWire
01-23-2010, 19:46
Job Well Done.......

doctom54
01-23-2010, 21:14
Congratulations SFC Wendelin