PDA

View Full Version : A fine Missouri quail hunt

craigepo
01-19-2010, 19:37
I just finished eating a bunch of tasty quail, so I thought I should post on here to rub in my story.

Last day of Missouri quail season (January 15), left work early. A couple of friends and I grabbed our dogs, a german shorthaired pointer and an english pointer, and headed afield.

End of the day, we had found six coveys of quail(which is astonishing in southern Missouri on the last day of season). The three of us who hunted together bagged 20 quail(not a limit per, but plenty to eat while leaving quail in those spots for next season).

For those that have never hunted quail, it is one of the most fun types of hunting you will find. The dogs run approximately 10 times the distance the hunter walks, stop on a dime to point the birds, stop on a dime to honor another dog pointing, and fetch the birds to hand(most of the time). Fantastic fun, especially when paired with good friends and a Benelli Super Black Eagle II.

I'm attaching a couple photos of our dogs pointing. My apologies for such horrible photos, but it is pretty difficult to operate a camera phone in one hand while keeping a shotgun at the ready in the other, especially when you know the dog is pointing one or more quail.

rltipton
01-22-2010, 08:08
I am so jealous. I was invited on a weekend quail & pheasant hunt once when I was in SWC and it was awesome. I've always hunted waterfowl and had Labs and I love them, but there is something special about hunting ground birds with good pointers. Watching the dogs is more fun than eating the harvest, but not by much. Glad you had a good hunt!

Snaquebite
01-22-2010, 10:06
Love quail hunting...Haven't been years.

armymom1228
01-22-2010, 10:38
Grew up bird hunting. Am jealous and you didn't even give a pic of the finished product or leave us a measly recipe. You are such a bad boy, bad, bad!!!:p

JoeyB
01-22-2010, 11:02
I am truly jealous. The only thing prettier than a good bird dog working is a bird folded and falling to the ground