PDA

View Full Version : Is this possible? A Chat Room

Buck
01-14-2010, 17:52
Was sitting here htinking, thinking even, ok, I'm relaxing and drinking a beer. So whenever I look at the "Who's Online" and you always see like 20+ people looking at "Who's Online"...lol, funny. Has anyone ever considered a real time chat room, where we can Drink a beer,fart, and scratch our butt, while chatting and seeing whos on. I see this functionality out there, was just curious. Surely there are a couple rocket scientists that frequent these halls, who might now how to connect the dots to make that possible.

Buck

Dan
01-14-2010, 18:00
It could easily be done, but the from the admin/mod point of view it would require one of us actively on there 24/7. Probably not going to happen; most of us have active lives where we can't monitor 24/7. You could however, set up something off site if you chose to do so at any given time on your own, but it wouldn't be run by us.

Buck
01-14-2010, 18:12
It could easily be done, but the from the admin/mod point of view it would require one of us actively on there 24/7. Probably not going to happen; most of us have active lives where we can't monitor 24/7. You could however, set up something off site if you chose to do so at any given time on your own, but it wouldn't be run by us.

If this so called, or named offsite chat room was set up, could the admins place a link, with appropriate disclaimer that this is a non affiliated, non monitored site, where members from here could click to access?

I could see where we could allow administrator rights to the chat room, for all members of this board, so if they were on it, they could ban, or bump unappropriate individuals off the chat room

Buck

FirstClass
01-14-2010, 18:13

I have never set up a CR, but would it be possible for someone to just leave an open window open up for the site? It may not be worth the electricity usage, but perhaps one may not mind.

armymom1228
01-14-2010, 18:49
I could see where we could allow administrator rights to the chat room, for all members of this board, so if they were on it, they could ban, or bump unappropriate individuals off the chat room

Buck

Giving _everyone_ admin rights could be problematic. It could end up with everyone banning everyone else when everyone has a bad day and all that. ;)

, where we can Drink a beer,fart, and scratch our butt, while chatting and seeing whos on.

Speak for yourself there buckwheat! Drinking and farting are okay, but scratching your butt??? Now that falls under way to much TMI, not to mention if you are going to show off that part of your anatomy, you might as well show off the rest. Just remember if you ain't buff, you are subject to being pointed and laughed at!:D

The Reaper
01-14-2010, 19:01

Buck

I see a lot of problems with this.

TR

Kyobanim
01-14-2010, 19:39
I'd be willing to host a chat on one of my servers but you still have the problem of who's going to monitor it? If someone can come up with a plan, let me know. I'm open.

Paslode
01-14-2010, 19:43
Chat rooms = Trouble.

Might be a better idea for you to use something like Xfire or ICQ where you can choose whom is invited or on your friend list.

lindy
01-14-2010, 19:55
I'd be willing to host a chat on one of my servers but you still have the problem of who's going to monitor it?..

I'm sure DHS or some other Federal 3 letter Agency would "volunteer" to monitor. Heck, I'd be willing to bet you'd never even know they were there! :cool:

Team Sergeant
01-14-2010, 21:03
I'm sure DHS or some other Federal 3 letter Agency would "volunteer" to monitor. Heck, I'd be willing to bet you'd never even know they were there! :cool:

You think they're not now?

We have threads and forums, PM and email, how much more contact do you want?;)

And I agree, we cannot control a chat room type of area and we don't want to.

TS

Sten
01-14-2010, 21:07
Hit f5 a lot it is like chatting in slow motion :D

XJWoody
01-15-2010, 05:42
From the POV of a 'part time' admin on another Vb site (I think it uses a PHP chat room) we just rely on the users to behave or tattle if some get unruly.

Ours is set up "members only" though, so we know who's on there - and where they live. :D There have been very few problems that I am aware of, mostly alcohol induced rants, or differences of opinion.

I'd assume if y'all set one up, you'd PW protect it, just like your "QP only" areas in here... ;) So, you would only have to police up after yourselves. I dunno if I'd want to field that job though. :eek: "Hey you! You're on TIME OUT!"

All I'm saying is if you did want one, it's not the total AD/LOG nightmare some envision (assuming you keep the ash & trash out.)

Don

C0B2A
01-15-2010, 07:09
A IRC passworded server could be setup, lots of bot admin function that could be used to control spam and such unwanted things. But I also see a lot of problems with it. I think I like PS right now in its singular form of a discussion board.

HowardCohodas
01-15-2010, 08:52
I never really understood the utility of a chat room, especially one sponsored by a forum. A forum gives more than adequate opportunity for interaction with the benefit, for those who choose, of previewing and editing items before posting.

What am I missing?

Utah Bob
01-15-2010, 08:54
Chat rooms are for instant gratification types imho. I've used a few and they exhausted me after a few minutes. I can't type fast enough. A board like this one and a PM feature works fine for me.

The Reaper
01-15-2010, 09:16
I never really understood the utility of a chat room, especially one sponsored by a forum. A forum gives more than adequate opportunity for interaction with the benefit, for those who choose, of previewing and editing items before posting.

What am I missing?

FWIW, I agree.

TR

Buck
01-15-2010, 10:16
So based on the majority of the feedback, sounds like a no go, which isn't an issue for me, just was a thought, as it seemed allot of folks are looking at the whos online function allot.

for the record I do like this site allot in its current state, the designers, and admins have put allot of thought, and available content into this site, along with what seems allot of good folks, and even some unruly types like Big Teddy, and Wet Dog.

Buck

lisam
01-15-2010, 10:29
Just post things faster...

HowardCohodas
01-15-2010, 10:42
Just post things faster...

From the content of some of the posts on this forum, sometimes including my own, faster is not always better.

lksteve
01-15-2010, 10:59
Just post things faster...Nope...if anything, more time and thought could go into what's posted here.

Richard
01-15-2010, 11:25
Nope...if anything, more time and thought could go into what's posted here.

Maybe...and if you're sober! :D

Richard

lksteve
01-15-2010, 11:28
Maybe...and if you're sober! I don't post drunk...yet. I do read posts while I'm drunk and that is quite amusing, except when I get pissed...:cool:

Richard
01-15-2010, 11:54
I don't post drunk...

I'm gonna have to try that sometime. :p

Richard

greenberetTFS
01-15-2010, 12:07
So based on the majority of the feedback, sounds like a no go, which isn't an issue for me, just was a thought, as it seemed allot of folks are looking at the whos online function allot.

for the record I do like this site allot in its current state, the designers, and admins have put allot of thought, and available content into this site, along with what seems allot of good folks, and even some unruly types like Big Teddy, and Wet Dog.

Buck

Thanks for the compliment Buck,putting me in the same class as Wet Dog is quite an honor....................;)

Big Teddy :munchin

wet dog
01-15-2010, 13:18

Buck

Now wait a minute Buck, how did I get pulled into this not, Not a Chat Room?

I've caught myself a time or two seeing who else was on line, finding simularities in what others are reading is cool, seems we SFer's have curtain trends. In doing so, I tend to send a PM asking why their up so late. Then theres the 1hour back and forth PM going on, and soon my allowed 100 messages are used up, (copy, click, paste, My Documents/Text files), continue, it's all quite funny.

I'm reminded once again of the old SGM who quietly stands at the end of the hall, over shadowing the Bn staff meeting, sipping coffee, "....seems we tried that once before, memory serves me correctly, it didn't work...."

TS - thanks for the immediate action drills.

So in the spirit of chatting, on a "No Chat Room site", (thank god).

Buck - do you shoot WIN .300 mag? I've got several boxes and no .300 weapon, not any more.

WD

lksteve
01-15-2010, 13:27
I'm gonna have to try that sometime. I wouldn't bother...if the GF weren't on a diet again, I'd be inclined to post under the weather...but since my alcohol consumption has dropped...:rolleyes:

Scimitar
01-15-2010, 13:49
Similar to other rooms you could limit access to say only those with 100 posts +. That would allow 328 individuals access, almost all have eseentially been screened just to get to the number of posts. Current Mods have mod ability. Someone goes off the reservation, you have records for post action UCMJ.

Regarding the drunk thing, there is a breathalizer that you can attach to your computer, mind you you can just get ya kids to blow into it....

"Dad, why do you always get me to blow into this thing"
"Shun, jusht do what ya pished old man saysth and it'll all be alright...(burp)"
:D

S

Sigaba
01-15-2010, 13:50
I never really understood the utility of a chat room, especially one sponsored by a forum. A forum gives more than adequate opportunity for interaction with the benefit, for those who choose, of previewing and editing items before posting.FWIW, depending upon the client application, one can edit/parse/proof read a comment in a chat room as easily as a post on a BB.What am I missing?IMO, a chat room allows for different comedic opportunities as one of a humorist's most important tools--timing--comes into play.

Then, there are commands like "/me" that allow chatters to perform "actions" of various types in cyberspace."/me sprays coffee all over his keyboard after reading Dozer523's comment" becomes
"Sigaba sprays coffee all over his keyboard after reading Dozer523's comment"

And let's not forget all those lovely pop ups.:rolleyes: So whenever I look at the "Who's Online" and you always see like 20+ people looking at "Who's Online."MOO, lurking in the "hallways" of BBs like this one is a useful way of getting to important information more efficiently. Also, when I get a sense that certain specific members of this BB may be commenting something I posted, I can get a head start on researching/drafting a reply or simply on trying to remember where a couple of books and articles may be.

Buck
01-15-2010, 14:00
Maybe...and if you're sober! :D

Richard

richard,
Everyime I look at your Avatar, I just start rolling...lol

Buck

Dozer523
01-15-2010, 20:59
Then, there are commands like "/me" that allow chatters to perform "actions" of various types in cyberspace."/me sprays coffee all over his keyboard after reading Dozer523's comment" becomes
"Sigaba sprays coffee all over his keyboard after reading Dozer523's comment" blah blah blah. . . .

To quote Wetdog "Now wait a minute Buck, how did I get pulled into this not, Not a Chat Room?"
When / IF we do get the chat room save your typing fingers, ladies.
Let me state: I always sit at the computer terminal in my lucky blue boxers.

armymom1228
01-15-2010, 21:08
To quote Wetdog "Now wait a minute Buck, how did I get pulled into this not, Not a Chat Room?"
Let me state: I always sit at the computer terminal in my lucky blue thong.

Richard, Dozer, and Buck in the same room. My heart could not stand it..
Buck is scratching his bare backside, Dozer is in a blue thong, I am almost afraid to hear what Richard is doing/wearing. I am afraid, very afraid.:eek::D

Buck
01-15-2010, 21:17
Now wait a minute Buck, how did I get pulled into this not, Not a Chat Room?

I've caught myself a time or two seeing who else was on line, finding simularities in what others are reading is cool, seems we SFer's have curtain trends. In doing so, I tend to send a PM asking why their up so late. Then theres the 1hour back and forth PM going on, and soon my allowed 100 messages are used up, (copy, click, paste, My Documents/Text files), continue, it's all quite funny.

I'm reminded once again of the old SGM who quietly stands at the end of the hall, over shadowing the Bn staff meeting, sipping coffee, "....seems we tried that once before, memory serves me correctly, it didn't work...."

TS - thanks for the immediate action drills.

So in the spirit of chatting, on a "No Chat Room site", (thank god).

Buck - do you shoot WIN .300 mag? I've got several boxes and no .300 weapon, not any more.

WD

.300 Win Mags....mmmmm I don't currently have a 300 Win, but I have been saving for a Sako TRG 42 in a 300 Win. I was considering the TRG 42 in the 338, but after I did allot of reading it seems the barrel life is much higher on the 300, and the recoil is less. I'd take em, just let me know what the postage is. I'll pm my address.

Buck

Buck
01-15-2010, 21:20

My senses have just been assaulted on all levels, I may not fully recover from this experience.

Buck

Buck
01-15-2010, 21:23
Richard, Dozer, and Buck in the same room. My heart could not stand it..
Buck is scratching his bare backside, Dozer is in a blue thong, I am almost afraid to hear what Richard is doing/wearing. I am afraid, very afraid.:eek::D

OMG, I just remembered I posted something about this, totally forgot...rofl. I totally lost it when I just noticed this.

Buck

Team Sergeant
01-16-2010, 08:58

Yeah, I know, quit sending me your pictures!!!!!!!

Richard
01-16-2010, 09:58
Buck is scratching his bare backside, Dozer is in a blue thong, I am almost afraid to hear what Richard is doing/wearing.

Gisela, my newly 'customized' laptop, and I are glad you asked. :p

Richard

lksteve
01-16-2010, 10:16
Gisela, my newly 'customized' laptop, and I are glad you asked.I don't know if I'm scarred for life, but that image will leave a mark...:eek:

nmap
01-16-2010, 10:51
I wonder...might Google Talk offer an elegant solution?

Each person could include a Google Talk ID in their signature or public profile. The software is a free download (PC only) from Google. Then, if someone wished to engage in a chat session, they could access the person's profile and proceed accordingly.

This would offer the capability to those who want it, would be off-site, hence would create no additional moderation burden, and would have no cost to those involved.

Here's a LINK (http://www.google.com/talk/about.html)

Dozer523
01-16-2010, 12:05
as if i didn't know this sh!t was coming.

BOXERS, Ladies, boxers

Richard
01-16-2010, 12:23
Yeah...Dozer wears that thong every chance he gets!

Dan
01-16-2010, 12:27
I worry about you guys with the type of sites your browsing to come up with these photos :eek:

HowardCohodas
01-16-2010, 12:51
I worry about you guys with the type of sites your browsing to come up with these photos :eek:

So far, this is the only place I've seen them. :D

armymom1228
01-16-2010, 15:29
as if i didn't know this sh!t was coming.

BOXERS, Ladies, boxers

yeah sure....

I found a photo of Richard, Buck and Dozer, don't know who the little dood on the end is though.

wet dog
01-16-2010, 16:00
yeah sure....

I found a photo of Richard, Buck and Dozer, don't know who the little dood on the end is though.

O.K., fine, I'll come clean....
it's me.

Buck
01-16-2010, 16:48
yeah sure....

Definately not me in that one. This was taken of me and my first bike, just picture me a little older, same look, with an M4 and a ruck :D

Buck

Buck
01-16-2010, 16:59
yeah sure....

Yes Folks, and here we found a photo of armymom1228, seems she is still looking for that blue thong of Dozers under the sofa.... :munchin

Buck

P.S. Wonder if she knows her skirt flipped up

ZonieDiver
01-16-2010, 17:57
yeah sure....

Hell, what am I, Armymom... chopped liver? Life is hard when you are "the little guy at the end"! :D

ZonieDiver
01-16-2010, 17:58

Damn, Dozer! We'll have to change your name to "Heavy Drop"! :D

ZonieDiver
01-16-2010, 17:59
I had originally thought that in order to keep "order" we could limit the "chat room" to QPs. Now, I am beginning to wonder...

Vic
01-16-2010, 18:58
At unitedstatesmilitia.com they just introduced a shoutbox right at the bottom of the thread list. It seems to be somewhere between a chat room and an IM function. I think we are all trying to figure it out, as far as our communication, but I could see it being a nice asset if a group of us wanted to set a time and have a meeting of sorts. I do not know if administrators are online 24/7.

olhamada
01-16-2010, 19:05
.300 Win Mags....mmmmm I don't currently have a 300 Win, but I have been saving for a Sako TRG 42 in a 300 Win. I was considering the TRG 42 in the 338, but after I did allot of reading it seems the barrel life is much higher on the 300, and the recoil is less. I'd take em, just let me know what the postage is. I'll pm my address.

Buck

I've got one. It's a Remington 700 with a fluted Sendero barrell. Sweet weapon. That's all I use for hunting around here, except for an occasional short range shot with my Marlin lever action in .35 Remington.

Used to have a .338 Mag. Couldn't take the recoil. Hated firing that thing. Guess I'm getting soft.

armymom1228
01-16-2010, 19:21
P.S. Wonder if she knows her skirt flipped up

wonder if he knows I know he is peepin' in the window, damn PI's...:D:p

armymom1228
01-16-2010, 19:56
Hell, what am I, Armymom... chopped liver? Life is hard when you are "the little guy at the end"! :D

Little Guy? You sent this pic of yourself to me.. I would NOT call you little.. it is adorable though. I am given, from what you said to me, that it is your favorite outfit?:D

ZonieDiver
01-16-2010, 20:34
Little Guy? You sent this pic of yourself to me.. I would NOT call you little.. it is adorable though. I am given, from what you said to me, that it is your favorite outfit?:D

Crap, I'll NEVER go to Mardi Gras again! :D

head
01-16-2010, 21:09
For anyone not familiar with sites like Facebook (yeah, yeah, I know), they have a little bar at the bottom that keeps track of who's online and if you want to chat with someone, you just click on the person and it brings up a little chat box that will stick to the bottom of the page as you continue to use the site to stalk ex-girlfriends.. I mean, re-connect with old friends. Also, you can minimize the chat or even turn off the bar.
IMO, this feature would be a pretty nice addition to any messageboard, but I'm sure it would take some major software upgrades of the current VB system. Someone I'm sure is working on something like that.

armymom1228
01-16-2010, 22:02
I had originally thought that in order to keep "order" we could limit the "chat room" to QPs. Now, I am beginning to wonder...

OH, now you think we civilians cannot contain our 'enthusiam'? OR are you just
so Special that you .....oh never mind... :D

armymom1228
01-16-2010, 22:03
O.K., fine, I'll come clean....
it's me.

NO, this is soooo you!

ZonieDiver
01-16-2010, 22:08
OH, now you think we civilians cannot contain our 'enthusiam'? OR are you just
so Special that you .....oh never mind... :D

On, no, AM! It is not you or your fellow civilians or non-SF military types I was speaking of. It was me... and my fellow QP's I was wondering about. (Not just you, Dozer, I swear!)

armymom1228
01-16-2010, 22:25
On, no, AM! It is not you or your fellow civilians or non-SF military types I was speaking of. It was me... and my fellow QP's I was wondering about. (Not just you, Dozer, I swear!)

OH I see..so now you are disparaging your sweet brothers in arms... you mean they cannot contain thier enthusiasm. You are probably right, considering some of the things I Have seen Teddy, Richard and Dozer post here. They might need a hall monitor you know.:D

Dozer523
01-17-2010, 16:34

You're an a$$hole:D
and you.:D I had NOTHING to do with this. I was dragged into it. Who's great idea was this?

Sigaba
01-17-2010, 17:06
...Facebook...chat...Although Facebook's chat feature is convenient (and I use it from time to time), I do not like the fact that one cannot access the logs of chats and that the content of the chats become property of Facebook the moment one hits "enter."

The absence of logs means that compiling the multi-volume "Why The World Would Be A Better Place If People Were More Like Me": The Letters and Papers of [Sigaba] is going to be difficult for the enterprising team of editors and research assistants. (That reminds me, I have to make sure I erase my "List of Five Great Ideas for the First Decade of the Twenty-First Century." It seems that pork rinds are not going to replace croutons anytime soon.:()

AngelsSix
01-17-2010, 18:47
Chat rooms are for instant gratification types imho. I've used a few and they exhausted me after a few minutes. I can't type fast enough. A board like this one and a PM feature works fine for me.

Agreed...even though I can type...;)

HowardCohodas
01-17-2010, 19:11
Agreed...even though I can type...;)

Some of us type faster than we can think. Therein lies danger.

AngelsSix
01-17-2010, 19:42
Some of us type faster than we can think. Therein lies danger.

Indeed!! Well said.

lksteve
01-17-2010, 20:40
Some of us type faster than we can think. Therein lies danger.Some of us can type drunk faster than we can think sober...:rolleyes:

head
01-17-2010, 20:49
Psshh... who needs to think and type? :cool:

wet dog
01-17-2010, 22:54
NO, this is soooo you!

where did you find this?

WD

Dozer523
01-18-2010, 18:57
And here's another problem with the chat thing.
Everyone here ought to know what SA is. As in "check your SA!"

Do we really want replies of "F/18. U?"

head
01-18-2010, 19:03
Do we really want replies of "F/18. U?"

True, we wouldn't want that... any "F/18"s should be directed to PM a single POC...

I volunteer.

armymom1228
01-18-2010, 22:05
where did you find this?

WD

One of your "brothers" who wished to remain anonymous, sent it to me, he said he snapped it when ya"ll where deployed. He said you were participating in a local ritual while trying to win the hearts and minds of a local tribe of fairies, I mean natives. :D
AM

wet dog
01-18-2010, 23:22
One of your "brothers" who wished to remain anonymous, sent it to me, he said he snapped it when ya"ll where deployed. He said you were participating in a local ritual while trying to win the hearts and minds of a local tribe of fairies, I mean natives. :D
AM

Three friends can keep a secret if only two are dead.

Thanks guys....

greenberetTFS
01-19-2010, 14:47
Some of us can type drunk faster than we can think sober...:rolleyes:

Totally agree..................:cool: ;)

Big Teddy :munchin