PDA

View Full Version : The new A-Team..."there's no plan B"

Scimitar
01-11-2010, 19:43
Just saw this...

A-Team Movie Trailer (http://www.flicks.co.nz/trailer/the-ateam/1771/)

It's fun to see what actors they got this time round.

S

wet dog
01-11-2010, 22:25
I'm going to stick to the more realistic or at least plausible films like Avatar and Alice in Wonderland.

Warrior-Mentor
01-11-2010, 23:41
Git yer popcorn ready.... :munchin

Nonna
01-12-2010, 08:01
I'm going to stick to the more realistic or at least plausible films like Avatar and Alice in Wonderland.

I like your "Plan B"......

darbs
01-12-2010, 09:45
...here in Northern Illinois anyway...
(the band I'm in is PLAN B...:D)

I see this has one of the actors from The Hangover... might be worth watching when it comes out on DVD...

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-12-2010, 11:21
It's almost what I've heard they do...Ok Plan B then.

Speedgod
01-12-2010, 15:41
I can't believe it has Rampage Jackson from the UFC in it! UGH :rolleyes:

Dozer523
01-12-2010, 15:43
Git yer popcorn ready.... :munchin

as long as B. A. Baracus still hates flying and jumping. I'm :munchin

GratefulCitizen
01-12-2010, 16:14
Escaped from a maximum security prison...

Their high-profile antics certainly must help with escape and evasion.

Doubtful that they would escape from an oncoming glacier.

Pete
01-13-2010, 05:14
...... never heard of Airborne tanks though:cool:), ...............

The 82nd had tanks. Well, at least they called them tanks and dropped them by parachute. Real tankers might call them armored recon vehicles.

Blitzzz (RIP)
01-13-2010, 08:07
Fast, short barreled, fired 152mm cannon/Missile Launcher with 20 HEAT-T-MP rounds and 8 Shillelagh missile rounds.

ZonieDiver
01-13-2010, 10:21
The 82nd had tanks. Well, at least they called them tanks and dropped them by parachute. Real tankers might call them armored recon vehicles.

One of the reasons you got off the DZ fast if the 82nd was jumping after your jump - not to mention the "whizzing" helmets striking the ground everywhere.

wet dog
01-13-2010, 10:39
Hmm...so they drop a tank from a plane, deploy parachutes from it (I don't know if there exist parachutes that can bring down an Abrams tank or not, never heard of Airborne tanks though:cool:), then open up the hatch, man the machine gun, and shoot at the fighter plane attacking them, can't get much more Hollywood then that!

Who remembers a lowboy drop, bleachers and a crowd of spectators at Ft. Bragg when everything went wrong?

Dozer523
01-13-2010, 11:29
The 82nd had tanks. Well, at least they called them tanks and dropped them by parachute. Real tankers might call them armored recon vehicles.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p37XYCRogA8&feature=related

Ev-a-buddy LUV da Ammm-ah! Lots of pretty parachutes at 01:02

Richard
01-13-2010, 11:52
...lowboy drop...

LOWLEX - during a CAPEX demo - not a pretty sight that one. :eek:

Richard

wet dog
01-13-2010, 11:54
LOWLEX - during a CAPEX demo - not a pretty sight that one. :eek:

Richard

"LOWLEX", not lowboy, obviously I drove a truck to long, thanks for the correction. What year was that accident?

TOMAHAWK9521
01-13-2010, 12:04
What year was that accident?

I think that was DEC '88. That was about the same time 1/75 had a fast rope disaster down there with a CH-53. My unit ended up going there to do a CH-53 fast rope demo for the SECDEF in JAN '89. I only bring it up because of all the safety issues that were on everyone's minds, the Sheridan tank event being the most prominent.

Richard
01-13-2010, 12:08
What year was that accident?

CRS but IIRC - mid-70s ( :confused: ) at Sicily DZ - I was on DZ coverage for the MFF course at Holland when one happened - there were several over the years including one that messed up the C-130 doing the delivery.

Richard

PSM
01-13-2010, 12:10
Who remembers a lowboy drop, bleachers and a crowd of spectators at Ft. Bragg when everything went wrong?

Is this it? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtT_eMVnWck

Pat

Pete
01-13-2010, 12:10
I think that was DEC '88. .....

Summer of 87. C/3/5th was running the ROTC Jump School that summer at Ft Bragg.

We had a C-130 up full of students and JMs headed for, IIRC, Normandy DZ when we got the word that a C-130 crashed out on one of the DZs. A lot of "Oh, crap. Oh, crap" for a few minutes until we got the word our A/C was OK.

A C-130 was doing a LOLEX in front of the bleachers on Sicily when it got stuck, forgot to release the dogs or something. Anyway - a 130 can't fly trying to drag a cargo chute. Went down in the trees just south of the bleachers. I do think somebody has it on film.

PSM got the clip.

wet dog
01-13-2010, 12:25

We had a C-130 up full of students and JMs headed for, IIRC, Normandy DZ when we got the word that a C-130 crashed out on one of the DZs. A lot of "Oh, crap. Oh, crap" for a few minutes until we got the word our A/C was OK.

A C-130 was doing a LOLEX in front of the bleachers on Sicily when it got stuck, forgot to release the dogs or something. Anyway - a 130 can't fly trying to drag a cargo chute. Went down in the trees just south of the bleachers. I do think somebody has it on film.

PSM got the clip.

Thanks, Pete. I remember now, I was no where near Bragg at the time, but I do remember the hightened sense of awareness in AC after that. Unfortuneately it takes an incident every so often to remind us. I heard a curtain number of people sitting in the stands were hurt. Didn't see that on the video, seemed most of the damage was parrallel to the crowd. Of course, I heard this "from a guy" who said he was there, and well before the internet took hold.

At some point, you start to forget the BS.

mojaveman
01-13-2010, 12:26
"LOWLEX", obviously I drove a truck to long, thanks for the correction. What year was that accident?

I saw one done at the Pope AFB Open House onetime and thought I heard it called a LAPEX.

L ow
A ltitude
P arachute
EX traction

TOMAHAWK9521
01-13-2010, 12:27

PSM got the clip.

OK. It was the Ch-53 incident that took place in late '88. I just remember the C-130 incident being discussed at the time which explains my mistake.

Pete
01-13-2010, 12:39
I saw one done at the Pope AFB Open House onetime and thought I heard it called a LAPEX.

L ow
A ltitude
P arachute
EX traction

I've also seen it LAPES - with System tacked on the end.

I quess it kinda depends on how "LOW" we're talking about. Some is on the deck and others are at a few hundred feet. HSLADS

None of this is to be confused with a heavy drop. A pallet of C Rations burning in looks like an A bomb going off when it hits.

greenberetTFS
01-13-2010, 13:31

wet dog,you keep teasing me with that Jameson,when are you going to break it out?:D:D:D

wet dog
01-13-2010, 13:34
wet dog,you keep teasing me with that Jameson,when are you going to break it out?:D:D:D

Jameson flows easily around these parts. I'm looking forward to a few other bottles I've gotten over the holidays. It's good to have friends.

Utah Bob
01-13-2010, 20:27
Well...the Sheridan looked like a tank anyway.:D

The Reaper
01-13-2010, 20:29
The cause of the LAPES incident was the pilot attempting to force an exceptionally steep descent when he got off the glide path for the delivery. The rear of the fuselage broke off on impact and the loadmaster within was the only aircrew survivor, IIRC.

The other fatalities were idiots who were downrange of the IP shooting photos when the wadded up C-130 and M-551 rolled through their position.

The Sheridan I saw LAPESed in 1978 was dropped long and also went into the treeline. My understanding was that they always used the worst/most broken M-551 for the demo.

Sometimes, the safety rules exist for a good reason.

TR

PR31C
01-14-2010, 09:34

I was at Ft. Bragg for ROTC when this happened. Next day we were in the same bleachers for a repeat of the CAPEX. Wreckage was still spew in front of the bleachers covered with sandbags. The tail of the plane could still be seen in the wood line to the right. When they approached for the same drop, everyone was freaked out. The ramp was open and the small shoot came out as the plane descended, hearts were pounding and everyone became a Christian, pleading, "Please God...". The cord was cut before the plane got close and a huge sigh fell over the bleachers.

Being there really put in to perspective just how close the plane and bleachers were. This could have ended horribly bad. The bleachers that day were filled with dignitaries as I understood it.

R.I.P. to the service members lost that day.

ZonieDiver
01-15-2010, 01:46
Back to the movie! It looks entertaining, which is - I think - the point of most movies. Casting looks good. "Howling Mad" gets lotsa screen time. The actor replacing "Mr. T" does a good job. Thumbs up! Bring it on. Beats the hell out of the anti-Americanism of "Avatar" imho.

Firing a machine gun from a parachuted tank? I took Instamatic pictures under a canopy once... kinda the same! :D

Scimitar
01-15-2010, 01:52
Yeah, would I get my head bitten offf for saying that I found Avatar pretty average. It didn't live up to it's hype. Special Effects will NEVER replace good scripting and good acting.

The film was OK, but it ain't worth the hype. The thing that ruined it for me was being "Bible bashed". What's with Hollywood telling me who God is? (i.e. The last Indiana Jones movie)

On a good note I thought the chick who played the main alien part did some mighty fine acting. There where some great bits. But for me the film didn't gel. It felt like the Director got distracted by the SFX.

But I digress...yeah the guy taking over the Mr T part seems to keep fedality with the role...nice.

S

Sigaba
01-15-2010, 02:26
I'd rather see '70s and '80s television shows rebooted for the silver screen without so much campiness. The way things are going now, screenings of the cinematic version of Sanford and Son will be interrupted as Redd Foxx's ghost mocks movie goers, "You big dummies!"

Although deeply flawed in execution, the cinematic version of Miami Vice (2006) is an example of what I have in mind.

Then again, in 1982, I thought Pierce Brosnan would make a great James Bond. Sorry about that, chief. :o

FWIW, since 1993, I've been saying Bond should be played by Daniel Day-Lewis. The guy they have now--pictured below--is as at home in the water as any actor to play the part of the naval officer turned spy, but he's certainly no Bond.:p