PDA

View Full Version : Mead

brewmonkey
07-22-2004, 22:28
Mead is the oldest known fermented beverage. Unlike today where it is made in a controlled environment it began as an act of nature and was spontaneously feremented by airborne wild yeast spores.

Mead is also where we get the term honeymoon from. It was widely believed in old times that after marriage the couple should drink mead each night for one full moon cycle so that they may be blessed with fertility and have children. Over the years this evolved into the term as we know it today.

Meads come in several different forms but they all have the same basic element and that is they are all made with honey. Honey comes in many varities but tt all depends on what is in blossom in close proximity to the hive.

Meads may be dry, semi-sweet, or sweet and this is just a measure of how much residual sugars are left over after fermentation. As well a mead may be still, petillant, or sparkling. This is a reference to the lack of carbonation in the case of still or having been carbonated as in sparkling (pettillant is somewhere in between).

Alcoholic strength is denoted as hydromel: 3.5 – 7.5% standard: 7.5 – 14% and sack: 14 – 18%. So you can see that there is some difference with the strengths. This is entirely up to the person making the mead.

In addition to just a "regular" mead being composed of honey and water there are subcategories as well. Melomels or fruit meads have an obvious addition of fruit at some point in the fermentation. The addition will add aroma, flavor and/or color to the finished product. Cyser would be with the addition of apples, pyment would be with grapes and the list goes on. The additionof fruits is limited only by the imagination.

You may also find that some meads have been spiced with items such as cinnamon or chile's or even having the addition of smoked wood to them. The addition should be one that blends well with both the honey and the sweetness of the mead.

Mead that is made with a partial addition of malted barley is known as a braggot. These are rather interesting hybrids and very few brewers/vintners make this one (I would be one!). Generally with this style the majority of the fermentables come from the honey and can be made with almost any beer style.

Overall meads tend to be in the alcoholic range of most table wines and while the vintner can add almost anything to the mead to add flavor or aroma, I have found that they usually just use honey and find a variety to meet their needs. Like orange blossom or cranberry, but they may even blend several types of honey as well.

Unlike beer, making meads takes time and patience. While beer can be ready in as little as 3 weeks, meads can take anywhere from a few months to years to be done. With the warmer fermentation and higher alcohol contents they must be nurtured and conditioned properly to taste so good.

Meads are an excellent choice for something out of the ordinary and after tasting one you might be suprised that you have found something new to love. It has not had as big a time in the sun as say craft brewing and there are very few meaderies in operation in the US (compared to breweries), but they are out there. Below is a list of some of the better ones that I have come across. You might also check into the local liquor stores as every know and then you get lucky. The most popular one that I have seen out there is called Chaucers, it is a sweet mead and I have found it across the US. These sites will also have some more information on the varities as well as some things that I have missed. Like brewing beer, making mead can be done at home.

If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them. If I cannot find the answer I will get my wife to as she is one of the judges at several of the regional/national events that are hosted each year for meads.

http://www.redstonemeadery.com/

http://www.heidrunmeadery.com/

http://www.munrohoney.com/

Ghostrider
07-31-2004, 21:14
BM,

So do you have any recommendations from each of the different categories? Inquiring tastebuds would like to know.;)

Team Sergeant
07-31-2004, 21:21
Damn good read! (I'm getting old, I missed it the first time)

Thanks Brew!

Peregrino
08-01-2004, 20:53
Brewmonkey - Wish I could have seen the refresher course about two months ago! If you have no complaints, I would like to cut & paste the lecture for future reference and sharing with some local talent. On another subject, I've checked out the sources you recommended for supplies and will be ordering in the next few days. Many thanks. And now that I know your wife is a tasting judge, I might be a little more bashful about sharing! YIS - Peregrino

brewmonkey
08-07-2004, 13:42
By all means whatever I post here is open source and free for the taking. When I have used something as a reference I will always do my best to include a URL to where I got it.

http://www.bjcp.org/styleguide25.html

http://www.bjcp.org/finalstyles/2004BJCPGuidelines.pdf

Above is a link to the BJCP's, which is the Beer Judge Certification Program, style guidlines for Meads. It is the 1999 HTML version of Mead only and the 2nd link is the revision 2004 of all style (beer and mead) guidlines in PDF.

As far as selecting a Mead from each category I would say that for sweet meads Chaucers is probably the one I dig most. It also comes with "spice tea bags" to steep in it for a mulled effect. Chaucers may also be warmed with the spices for a nice cold evening drink.

For a "still" mead I would go with Redstone's Mountain Honey Wine(the traditional). It is made from Orange Blossom honey and still has some sweetness to it.

But if you go with a product from Redstone I would say that all of their products are excellent. They are probably the only company I would say that I have enjoyed all their products.

Ghostrider
07-03-2005, 23:18
Just bought a bottle of Chaucer's Mead and I was surprised at how sweet it was. Truely a "dessert wine". In addition to drinking it I can imagine macerating fresh berries in this and then spooning them over a pound or spongecake. I also bought a bottle of White Winter dry Mead and a bottle of their traditional Brackett (braggot style Mead/Ale). The dry Mead was very light, with slight crispness (I would have preferred a bit more bite). It reminded me of a Pinot Grigio. Haven't tried the Brackett yet but I will post my impressions.

brewmonkey
07-04-2005, 07:42
Just bought a bottle of Chaucer's Mead and I was surprised at how sweet it was. Truely a "dessert wine". In addition to drinking it I can imagine macerating fresh berries in this and then spooning them over a pound or spongecake. I also bought a bottle of White Winter dry Mead and a bottle of their traditional Brackett (braggot style Mead/Ale). The dry Mead was very light, with slight crispness (I would have preferred a bit more bite). It reminded me of a Pinot Grigio. Haven't tried the Brackett yet but I will post my impressions.

Glad you were able to grab a bottle of a few different styles. You might also look for something called a "Perry" which is a pear based wine. I have found several that are quite nice but they are fairly rare so finding them can be tough.

Ghostrider
07-09-2005, 11:36
Brew,

I tried the braggot the other day and l enjoyed that alot. My initial impression was of a dark ale then it finished with a definite honey tone. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this would go well with roast pork, bbq, anything cooked outside, etc. Now, if only this stuff wasn't so hard to find. Looks like I'll be making some orders from Redstone.

Thanks for the links. :)

Wearman
07-19-2005, 07:48
Interesting that this thread would pop up when I have a batch of Mead aging in the kitchen. Been there for about 3 months and is tasting pretty good right now, if I dont say so myself. Still have a little time to go before I can properly enjoy it though.

brewmonkey
07-19-2005, 13:18
Interesting that this thread would pop up when I have a batch of Mead aging in the kitchen. Been there for about 3 months and is tasting pretty good right now, if I dont say so myself. Still have a little time to go before I can properly enjoy it though.

The biggest mistake I made with my first batch of mead was that I did not make 2 at the same time. I ran out of it long before my second batch was ready.

Wearman
07-20-2005, 08:26
I think this is going to be my problem as well. First attempt at mead and only made one small batch (1 gal). As it looks right now I am going to probably have to pitch a new batch and make it a biggie (5 gal).

brewmonkey
07-21-2005, 15:06
I think this is going to be my problem as well. First attempt at mead and only made one small batch (1 gal). As it looks right now I am going to probably have to pitch a new batch and make it a biggie (5 gal).

:eek:

You only made a gallon???

Razor
07-21-2005, 20:09

You know those Rangers...he's a lightweight. :p :D

Wearman
07-25-2005, 08:48

Well..... It was my first batch. Next batch will be significantly more. Just about everything gets made in 5 gal batches, except the first as a test gets done in 1 gal. That way if I make mistakes or it doesnt agree with me I am not out a lot of time/effort/money.

I am happy with the results so far and once I get to Lewis I will definately be doing a full batch.

Rotor Strike
07-27-2005, 12:51
Brew,
Thanks for the informative post. I have always wanted to try mead, but haven't had the opportunity as of yet. Mostly, I have been frightened off by the wine name that is used by some of the companies. Does this mean the mead is more of a desert wine type beverage, or is it something that can be enjoyed as an alternative to a beer? The braggot seems to my uneducated brain to be something more like a beer substitute than some of the others. Am I incorrect in this assumption? And finally, is there any place that will deliver mead to Florida?

Razor
07-27-2005, 13:13
Redstone's website says it has a distributor in Orlando:

Unique Beers Inc
808 West Amelia Street
Orlando, FL 32805

I'm bummed--the Redstone distributor I used here in the Springs closed. Gonna have to find another soon. :(

Ghostrider
07-27-2005, 16:14
Brew,
Thanks for the informative post. I have always wanted to try mead, but haven't had the opportunity as of yet. Mostly, I have been frightened off by the wine name that is used by some of the companies. Does this mean the mead is more of a desert wine type beverage, or is it something that can be enjoyed as an alternative to a beer? The braggot seems to my uneducated brain to be something more like a beer substitute than some of the others. Am I incorrect in this assumption? And finally, is there any place that will deliver mead to Florida?

Ryan,

The Chaucer's was a very sweet dessert wine, the dry was like a light white, and true enough the braggot was a great substitute for beer...I really enjoyed it.

brewmonkey
07-27-2005, 18:50
Brew,

Braggot will indeed be closer to a beer as it has barley as part of the fermentables but how much is up to the brewer. Generally I would expect to find about 50% of the fermentables as malt.

I would say that most people would probably think of Meads as more of a desert wine then anything else but the truth is that with so many varieties they can be had with a meal as well. Now you will not generally find a full bodied "Red" mead to go with that filet but you can find a very nice dry mead that will go well with the fish, chicken or game birds. I wish I could give you a list of which meads with which foods but there really is not one. If you buy your meads check with the vintner and they should be more then capable of helping pair them with food. If they cannot then I would move on down the road! :eek: :D

Redstone should deliver to you down there and they have some of the best Meads I have tasted and are VERY well respected.

Ghostrider
07-28-2005, 09:09
Here's a link: The braggot was very tasty.http://www.whitewinter.com/ (http://http://www.whitewinter.com/)

Plutarch
10-13-2008, 23:17
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. We are having a lot of fun trying this out.

Initial outlay was only around ten dollars a gallon, including all equipment. After alcohol was mentioned as a likely trading commodity in the Be Prepared thread, I realized that several gallons of mead brewing away in the basement might pay off down the line ( not to mention being delicious ).

We racked them today, and they are really tasting good. Here is our first batch -

5 gallons of Sweet Mead

1 gallon of a dry methaglyn

1 gallon of an orange melomel

1 gallon of apple cyser

1 gallon of raspberry melomel