PDA

View Full Version : Semi Automatic Shotguns

catd11r
07-22-2004, 19:18
:confused: GentlemenI need your experience in this matter. I am going to purchase a Remington 1100 Comp Master, is there a better gun? I'm in the 1000.00 Range. Your input would be appreciated.:D

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 19:32
Personally, I am partial to the Benelli M1 Super 90, what do you want to do with it?

TR

catd11r
07-22-2004, 19:36
:) I want to use it for Home security,and have a good quality gun in case the Gun Ban in Sept., gets even more specific. I'm also considering a Colt M4, good gun?

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 20:36
Originally posted by catd11r
:) I want to use it for Home security,and have a good quality gun in case the Gun Ban in Sept., gets even more specific. I'm also considering a Colt M4, good gun?

I do not understand? The AWB should sunset in Sep, opening the options for more weapons back up and lowering prices for guns with a few special features.

My personal .02 is that if you shoot someone with it, the less it looks like a military weapon, the better. Consider the facts and retoric that will appear at your criminal or civil trial after the fact. Ideally, for legal reasons, you would want to use a target or hunting weapon. At the extreme, you could use what local LEOs carry. I would go with the 870 and maybe add a tactical light for target ID. The only negatives I have on the 1100 are that they can be fragile, and have a rep for being high maintenance.

The Colt M-4s we are issued are okay, but for my personal money, others make a better civilian gun for the $.

Just my .02, I am sure others here have some different perspectives.

Good luck.

TR

catd11r
07-22-2004, 22:19
Thanks for your reply. My brother who is a LEO said the same thing you did. Rem 870. I had heard the 1100 was high maint.What do you recommend in the 5.56 line. I've looked at the Armalites, Colts,Bushmasters, Eagle Arms, I sure appreciate your suggestions on this matter. I was under the impressions as soon as the AWB expired, they would put a new one out there ouickly. Thanks Cat:(

Smokin Joe
07-22-2004, 23:12
Thanks for your reply. My brother who is a LEO said the same thing you did. Rem 870. I had heard the 1100 was high maint.What do you recommend in the 5.56 line. I've looked at the Armalites, Colts,Bushmasters, Eagle Arms, I sure appreciate your suggestions on this matter. I was under the impressions as soon as the AWB expired, they would put a new one out there ouickly. Thanks Cat:(

Cat,

The Reaper has given you some great advice. For home defense 5.56 might be a bit much, unless you are using franglible ammo. Stick to a cheap Remington 870 (when I saw cheap I mean dollar ammount not quality) because if you shoot someone with it you are only out 200-300 bucks. And you will lose your gun until the diposition of your case which is usually around a year (if its justifiable). Plus Shotguns are great for area targeting meaning you don't have to be dead nuts on when the shit hits the fan.

On the 1100 CM I think The Team Sergeant just got one of those.

The Reaper
07-23-2004, 06:06

The purpose of the M-4 in 5.56 is to allow selected personnel to have a compact weapon and the capability of engaging targets from close range out to 300m. or beyond. Note that the main terminal effects of the round from the M-4's 14.5" barrel are seriously diminished from the 16" carbine or the 20" rifle, and limit the most effective range of the rifle to 100m. or so with M193 or M855 ammo.

All of the makers you cited are decent, the Armalite/Eagle and Bushmaster are among my favorites, I would also consdider the Rock River Arms clones as well.

If the "AWB" sunsets, all affected rifles should revert to preban design and features.

HTH.

TR

catd11r
07-23-2004, 08:27
Thanks Reaper and Smokin Joe, I appreciate the info and you all taking time to educate me on these questions. I'll let you know when I get my new best friends.:D

swatsurgeon
07-23-2004, 14:48
if you're looking at a new shotgun, look at the Fabarm. Their pump 12G has performed flawlessly for me. 14 inch or 20 inch barrel....great patterns with OO buck (no choke needed) and right on with slugs. I have an 870 also that is 'tricked' out but I can't beat the fabarm for quality, durability....dependability. they make a semi-auto version but I don't know much about it.
Team Sargeant would like it.....made by H&K!!!

Ambush Master
07-23-2004, 14:55
Originally posted by swatsurgeon
14 inch or 20 inch barrel

Better be careful here guys !!! Any Shotgun with a Barrel Length less than 18" is a Title II Weapon and must be Registered !!! Just as illegal as an unregistered machinegun !!!

Air.177
07-23-2004, 15:04
I have an old Benelli (discontinued roundabout '85/86) model SL 121-M1 with wood stock, 20" barrel, factory extended Mag tube, and rifle sights. I really like it, for some reason, it is the most comfortable shotgun I have ever held.

Just My .02

Oh, and it is marked as having been imported by H&K :D

The Reaper
07-23-2004, 17:38
Originally posted by Air.177
I have an old Benelli (discontinued roundabout '85/86) model SL 121-M1 with wood stock, 20" barrel, factory extended Mag tube, and rifle sights. I really like it, for some reason, it is the most comfortable shotgun I have ever held.

Just My .02

Oh, and it is marked as having been imported by H&K :D

Got one of them around here somewhere, too.

Good gun!

TR

catd11r
07-24-2004, 07:57
:) Thanks a lot Gentleman, you've made me think a lot more about different brands. I'm taking a day off next Thursday and going to my gun dealer(I called him on the phone yesterday ,he can get about any brand).I will stay over a 18" inch barrel,most likely 22". Oh, I hear a lot about a Mossberg, I think it's a 590? Are they good? Thanks Gentleman, Have a great day!:lifter

Sacamuelas
07-24-2004, 08:19
Catd11-

You sound like you don't need a ferrari model... just a good solid work truck. Check this article out...it was offered free to the public from this mag to lure customers to subscribing.

It covers outfitting your own home defense shotgun for around $500 total and is based on a rem 870. You have to scroll forward a few pages til you get to the article on page 8.

username: SWATrocks
Password: watchsix
CLICK ME for Shotgun article (http://www.swatmag.com/shop/media/downloads/51F3031475-SnapShots_03_12.pdf)

I think a 870 with a few add-ons would be more than sufficient for you. Of course, I really want one of those Benelli autos too. :D

The Reaper
07-24-2004, 10:04
I would take the 870 over the Mossberg.

Both will meet your requirement.

TR

mffjm8509
07-24-2004, 10:27
I've not been a fan of autoloading shotguns since I was a kid. I used to shoot way too fast without slowing down to really track on a pheasant or duck, and ran out of ammo with the bird still pulling up and away.

I started hunting a pump shotgun when I was probably about 15 or 16, and that forced me to slow down between shots, just a fraction of a second to focus on the target. Anyway I've shot pumps exclusively since.

I own all of the popular mossberg, winchester, and remington pump shotguns, but my Benelli Nova is the only one that gets used anymore. It is a little more expensive than any of the above pump shotguns, but well worth it. The reciver and buttstock are molded one piece, ending fractured buttstock problem (I've replaced the cheap buttstocks on each of my other shotguns, 4 times on the mossberg).

Anway, when you go out to look Thursday, take a look at this one:

catd11r
07-25-2004, 11:40
Thanks Reaper and Sacamuelas, I appreciate all your imput. I will be buying a 870 and a light. Thanks for the info on the article to. I guess I wanted more than I needed. Thanks guys!:o

The Reaper
07-25-2004, 12:43
Thanks Reaper and Sacamuelas, I appreciate all your imput. I will be buying a 870 and a light. Thanks for the info on the article to. I guess I wanted more than I needed. Thanks guys!:o

Get the Surefire 618 Weapons Light.

TR

catd11r
07-25-2004, 19:45
Thanks Reaper for the part number, and thanksMffJm8509 on your input about unloading to fast, I know that is exactly what I would do. You guys have been to good to help me. Have a Good Monday and be safe.:) Catd11r

Peregrino
07-25-2004, 21:05
Just to add my .02 worth, you've gotten excellent (and professional) advise from everybody. Here's some more food for thought to cinch the deal on the 870: Given the wide variety of quality accessories manufactured for it, from a lot of sources, no other shotgun available today has the versatility of the 870. You can make it do anything from breaching to goose/deer hunting with near perfect reliability (it's mechanical - there's no such thing as perfect). Any good hunting catalog or gun magazine can get you started on the accessories. Check out the Brownell's catalog for the specialized stuff. Most of the accessories are something you ought to be able to handle with minimal tools that you probably already have. That also means that if you have problems there are a lot of competent gunsmiths out there who can help you modify it to realize whatever you think the weapon's potential should be. Because you can adapt it to so many uses, there's a better chance you will use it enough to get really familiar with it. (And to really confuse the issue, I personally use a Benneli Super 90 M1 - but I learned the hard way about light loads, something that's not a problem for a pump gun.) Unless you have money to burn, forget about the carbines for a while. FWIW - Peregrino

The Reaper
07-25-2004, 21:37
Yes, those Benellis will dump a mag quickly, won't they?

TR

Peregrino
07-26-2004, 08:04
Nine of them as fast as you can pull the trigger. And if you're really good you've hit everything you were aiming at and most of the shell casings are still in the air when it goes "click". You just have to remember to use min 1 1/8 oz shot or you'll get very good with IA drills. Of course I haven't been able to afford enough ammo (or range time) to maintain that standard since I quit being single.

Smokin Joe
07-26-2004, 13:41
Tom Knapp perfected that trick

Here is the video

http://www.sportshooter.com/movies/tknapp_9targets.mpg

This is the page I got if from incase the above link doesn't work.

http://www.sportshooter.com/features/tom_knapp.htm

:munchin

Peregrino
07-26-2004, 15:24
Got to love video - after the 4th or 5th replay you can claim to have seen most of what happened. I've never seen that one before. Amazing what a 5 sec clip can show! The best I've ever done was against steel. It's not moving! (That's why I go Dove hunting on opening day - the humility is good for my soul!) YIS - Peregrino

Bravo1-3
07-27-2004, 00:41
I love my 870 and my Model 500, but I've had nothing but great performance from my Mossberg 9200a1 Jungle Gun. I put an extension on it and get 6+1 or #4 or 00. The best part is that it seems to really like junk ammo like S&B (dirty nasty Chech ammo).

Patterns nice, recoil is non-existant, andso far no reliability problems... but for the simple fact that it's semi-auto, it is not my primary home defense gun.

One of these days I'll get myself another M1, once I have all the other toys paid for.

Roguish Lawyer
07-27-2004, 12:47
I'm no expert, but my Mossberg 500 works just fine. It is my primary home defense weapon.

The Reaper
07-27-2004, 12:47
Peregrino has requested that I notify you that the Bass Pro Shop has the 870 (wood or synthetic) 870 Express on sale for $197 and a $50 rebate.

He informs me that this is cheaper than the Wal-Mart.

TR

catd11r
07-27-2004, 15:50
Thanks for the heads up on Bass pro, I appreciateit:D

Team Sergeant
07-27-2004, 17:23
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
I'm no expert, but my Mossberg 500 works just fine. It is my primary home defense weapon.

Mossbergs are fine if one cannot afford a Remington.

I'm sure you made some pawn shop owner very happy with that purchase.:D

TS

Edit to add:

I know you were just waiting for someone to fess up to owning a Mossberg before you posted...:p

Team Sergeant
07-27-2004, 17:28
Thanks for the heads up on Bass pro, I appreciate it:D

The Bass Pro shop is a great place to shop and an 870 can't be beat!
I'm sure you'll enjoy the shotgun.

TS

The Reaper
07-27-2004, 17:45
He is in Kalifornia, home of the "alternate lifestyle".

Perhaps you can't legally own a decent shotgun there.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-27-2004, 18:18
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Mossbergs are fine if one cannot afford a Remington.

I'm sure you made some pawn shop owner very happy with that purchase.:D

TS

Edit to add:

I know you were just waiting for someone to fess up to owning a Mossberg before you posted...:p

:rolleyes:

I like my shotgun.

The Reaper
07-27-2004, 18:39
:rolleyes:

I like my shotgun.

I used to like mine too, before I tried an 870.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-27-2004, 18:55
Originally posted by The Reaper
I used to like mine too, before I tried an 870.

TR

At the range at which I may have to engage a target, and given the ammo I'll be using, I'm not sure a better gun would make a difference. :D

BTW, the most important function of my shotgun probably is the loud "click-click" sound it makes when I pump it. That should scare away most intruders! LOL

The Reaper
07-27-2004, 19:04
At the range at which I may have to engage a target, and given the ammo I'll be using, I'm not sure a better gun would make a difference. :D

BTW, the most important function of my shotgun probably is the loud "click-click" sound it makes when I pump it. That should scare away most intruders! LOL

I pray the we never have to find out if you have made the right decision on the tool to protect your family with or not.

I would spend the $200 for the 870, drop another $200 on mods and $200 on a light, and consider it a bargain, but if the 590 flips your switch, go for it.

Good luck.

TR

catd11r
07-28-2004, 10:30
:) I' ve decided on the 870, but I figured some one had to have a Mossberg.Some of the guys I work with have them, and over the last few days we have had quite a few spirited discussions about shotguns. Most leaned toward the 870, but some leaned toward the mossberg. I;m going to add some extras and a light and go from there. Thanks a million guys you've been a great help. Oh I also hope no I every has to use one to defend his family. Thans team Seargent for your help also.Over and out. catd11r.

catd11r
08-04-2004, 14:05
Good Afternoon Gentlemen, Sorry it's being so long since my last post. Igot promoted to production foreman!!! I bought the 870 #25077 and couldn't be happier,bought a light and some other things for it. It really is a good shotting gun, it's all I need. When I get a few bills paid off I'm going shopping for a rifle and another handgun. I have a Glock 23. My promotion has caused me to have to work more hours, but the PAY and benefits are better. Our best coal 14,500 BTU,4ash is going for 108.00 a ton,and were selling every ton we can mine.Take care ,I'll be talking to yo all later, have a great evening!! Catd11r:D ( Thanks for all your help).

Razor
08-04-2004, 15:38
mffjm, last time I wandered through the Bn arms room, I thought I saw a bunch of Mossberg 590s in the racks. They still there, and how are they holding up (if they get used at all)?