PDA

View Full Version : 223 Brass

Buck
01-01-2010, 17:37
Curious if anyone has a large amount of 223 brass. I'd make a deal with someone who has 223 brass, and doesn't reload. You could send me the brass you have, and I would reload to whatever load data, and bullet grain you want, 1/4 of the brass you send me, and send it back to you ready to go. This should be a pretty sweet deal for most folks.

Buck

Paslode
01-01-2010, 18:04
I have a big box full of .223 brass in LC and PPU. I reload, but I don't mess with the .223 much.

Buck
01-01-2010, 18:07
When you say a box full, do you mean a 20round box? Or an ammo can :)

Buck

Paslode
01-01-2010, 18:22
I believe it is a MRE box.

rubberneck
01-01-2010, 18:40
I am not so sure what you are proposing would be considered legal. From what I understand loading ammo for someone other than yourself makes you a manufacturer in the eyes of the ATF, and an unlicensed one at that. I also believe that it is illegal for a non FFL/manufacturer to ship loaded ammunition to another non FFL/manufacturer. I am not a lawyer so I don't pretend to speak with authority on the subject but over the years I have had discussions with lawyers similar to this and was told it was a very bad idea. Best of luck.

Buck
01-01-2010, 18:55
I only thought rules applied if I am selling ammo? Slap me, and set me straight if I am in fact wrong

Buck

Buck
01-01-2010, 19:00
This is what I found on shipping ammo to someone:

Title 49 CFR states in Chapter 1, section 173.63 the packaging exceptions to full regulation. Under that section, (b) Cartridges, small arms, may be reclassed, and offered for transportation, and transported as ORM–D material when packaged in accordance with paragraph (b)(2) of this section; such transportation is excepted from the requirements of subparts E (Labeling) of part 172 of this subchapter. Cartridges, small arms, and cartridges power devices that may be shipped as ORM–D material is limited to:

Under this “limited to” section, there is item (i) Ammunition for rifle, pistol or shotgun; and (iv) Ammunition not exceeding 12.7 mm (50 caliber or 0.5 inch) for rifle or pistol, cartridges or 8 gauge for shot shells.

This is the critical part to shipping ammunition. If it is 50 caliber or less, or 8 gauge or less, UPS will take the shipment in a sturdy box marked with a ORM-D, Cartridges, Small Arms label on the outside of the box. UPS does recommend using this label as opposed to a regular ORM-D label from our research and inquiries to UPS themselves. Part 172, subchapter E states the label should be affixed near the shipping address location on the package. By placing it here, the carrier will see it as they direct the package to the correct location during shipment.

Now, under section 173.115, part (v) it states that cartridges, and 22 caliber rim-fire cartridges may be packaged loose in strong outside packaging. The label marking is the same as above.

Buck

rubberneck
01-01-2010, 19:19
I only thought rules applied if I am selling ammo? Slap me, and set me straight if I am in fact wrong

Buck

But you are selling it. Instead of being paid in cash you are getting brass back in return as compensation for the loaded ammunition.

Streck-Fu
01-01-2010, 19:32
Only take it for what it's worth.

I know a few people that do this and the key seems to be around how the brass is sourced. If you are loading the ammo for someone else, they have to provide the brass. If you provide the brass, you are a manufacturer.

I will contact them for references and post back as soon as I hear specifics.

Buck
01-01-2010, 19:58
Only take it for what it's worth.

I know a few people that do this and the key seems to be around how the brass is sourced. If you are loading the ammo for someone else, they have to provide the brass. If you provide the brass, you are a manufacturer.

I will contact them for references and post back as soon as I hear specifics.

Exactly, which is why in my original post I stated if someone sent me "their" brass, I would reload 1/4 of "their brass, and mail it back to them.

Buck

Buck
01-01-2010, 20:07
Rubberneck,
All we do down here is TN is brew moonshine, sing bout dying coon dogs, and spend my money reloading, and shooting. I don't take money if someone sends me their brass, and send them back reloaded ammo, it just normally works it's way out as being socialable, not sure I spelled that word wright, been sipping the white lighnin.... :eek:

Buck

P.S. We also stare at goats sometimes, but not to make them die. There is a saying close to here... This is where men are men, women are frigid, and sheep are scared....

PSM
01-01-2010, 20:20
sing bout dying coon dogs,

Ahhhh. :( You got me with that one: The Hunt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poUKQcQrG7A&feature=related)

Pat

Buck
01-01-2010, 20:25
Ahhhh. :( You got me with that one: The Hunt (http://www.imdb.com/video/cbs/vi71630873/)

Pat

Funny thing is I saw that episode today on the Sci-Fi channel on the twighlight zone marathon......while reloadin a new 7.62 mix for my AR-10

Buck

wet dog
01-01-2010, 20:30
Rubberneck,
All we do down here is TN is brew moonshine, sing bout dying coon dogs, and spend my money reloading, and shooting. I don't take money if someone sends me their brass, and send them back reloaded ammo, it just normally works it's way out as being socialable, not sure I spelled that word wright, been sipping the white lighnin.... :eek:

Buck

P.S. We also stare at goats sometimes, but not to make them die. There is a saying close to here... This is where men are men, women are frigid, and sheep are scared....

What was that line from the movie, Shooter? Welcome to TN, the patron state for shooting stuff.

p.s., I'll take a quart

Buck
01-01-2010, 20:32
What was that line from the movie, Shooter? Welcome to TN, the patron state for shooting stuff.

p.s., I'll take a quart

I'LL do it, if nobody tells, but it might be like brass, you'd better ship me a mason jar bottle, so I can fill yur own jug up, and ship er back to you...lol

Buck

Buck
01-01-2010, 20:36

p.s., I'll take a quart

I have a range set up that shoots off my back patio, out to 200 yards, and currently clearing out to 300 yards. I have a farmer friend, where I can go and shoot, its almost perfectly flat, and clear out to about 1200 yards.

Buck

Streck-Fu
01-01-2010, 20:44
I'd drive for some good shine....and brine some ammo for shooting....Someone remind me why I moved north of the Ohio River.....