PDA

View Full Version : FYI...M-16/M-4 Mags w/Tan follower

DinDinA-2
12-28-2009, 22:31
http://www.shadowspear.com/special-operations-technology/new-magazines-m16-m4.html

Improved Magazine Increases Reliability
ShadowSpear
17 December, 2009 08:50:00 Font size:

PICATINNY ARSENAL, NJ – The Army has begun fielding a new 5.56mm 30-round "improved magazine" that delivers a significant increase in reliability for M-16 and M-4 weapons.

Bolstering the already high reliability ratings of the M-16 and M-4, the improved magazine reduces the risk of magazine-related stoppages by more than 50 percent compared to the older magazine variants, according to officials at Program Executive Office Soldier.

Identified by a tan-colored follower, more than 500,000 of the improved magazines have been fielded to units in Iraq, Afghanistan and the United States.

"With the improved magazines, we're taking weapons reliability up another notch," said Lt. Col. Chris Lehner, product manager for Individual Weapons. "By incorporating a heavier, more corrosion-resistant spring, along with a new follower design that does not tilt inside the casing, our engineers were able to develop a magazine that presents a round to the weapon with even greater stability. Increased magazine reliability results in overall improved weapon system performance."

Currently, there are three different types of magazines in the supply inventory that can be identified by the color of the follower. The new, improved magazine follower is tan. Magazines with a green follower are strong performers and are acceptable so long as they are serviceable, but should be phased out from the force as the improved magazines are received. The oldest magazines have a black follower and should be turned in to supply sergeants.

"Soldiers can remember it like this: 'Tan - is the plan. Green - start to lean. Black - take it back,'" said Lehner. "While the improved magazines increase reliability to an even greater degree, the new magazines by no means reduce the importance of Soldiers keeping their weapons clean and lubricated appropriately for the environment. Also, Soldiers must be proficient on conducting immediate action (SPORTS) if their weapon has a stoppage."

A significant portion of the system reliability gains are the result of the redesigned follower. The new follower incorporates an extended rear leg and modified bullet protrusion for improved round stacking and orientation.

The self-leveling/anti-tilt follower minimizes jamming while a wider spring coil profile creates even force distribution. The performance gains have not added weight or cost to the magazines.

MtnGoat
12-28-2009, 22:47
I don't who is getting these NEW mags. But anytime we try to order some in OEF we can never get any. I don;t know if it's a SUPCEN ordering issues. Lazy people or the system just being broken and we can't get any.

Whatever you order coming into Country is all you can get. SUPCEN never has any at KAF or BAF for Combat Emergency resupplies OPS. I.E. Some back at BAF or KAF for AST & SUPCEN to load up to be flow out to Elements in contact.

Fire BAses needing extra MAGs for vehicles, Fire base ETC are so old and the new one flow out with the people that may or may not have brought them.

So ordering new ones in country have yet to happen.

jbour13
12-28-2009, 23:13
I don't who is getting these NEW mags. But anytime we try to order some in OEF we can never get any. I don;t know if it's a SUPCEN ordering issues. Lazy people or the system just being broken and we can't get any.

Whatever you order coming into Country is all you can get. SUPCEN never has any at KAF or BAF for Combat Emergency resupplies OPS. I.E. Some back at BAF or KAF for AST & SUPCEN to load up to be flow out to Elements in contact.

Fire BAses needing extra MAGs for vehicles, Fire base ETC are so old and the new one flow out with the people that may or may not have brought them.

So ordering new ones in country have yet to happen.

I'll put in the good word for ya VG!!

But you do bring up a good point. If you need any while I'm around, you know I'll scrounge some for ya, even if I'm not going forward this time.

Warrior-Mentor
12-29-2009, 07:27
Good gouge. Thanks!

Peregrino
12-29-2009, 07:56
What's the difference between the new magazine and my old ones that have been refit with a MAGPUL follower and (eventually) upgraded springs? :munchin Nice of the Army to finally catch up with the rest of us.

kgoerz
12-29-2009, 10:07
Is their a particular reason why the Army just didn't go with the P-Mags from MAGPULL. I been using those Mags for abut two years now. They have performed flawless.

MtnGoat
12-29-2009, 12:20
I'll put in the good word for ya VG!!

But you do bring up a good point. If you need any while I'm around, you know I'll scrounge some for ya, even if I'm not going forward this time.

I'm good but the point was made.. Why should any one have to scrounge through their stuff for others!! Hello we are SF right..

OOh wait I know.

Is their a particular reason why the Army just didn't go with the P-Mags from MAGPULL. I been using those Mags for abut two years now. They have performed flawless.

I was thinking the same thing. I bet it's to make up for all of those "old" Mags they had fitted with that new (Now Old) plate.

The Reaper
12-29-2009, 12:21

The original PMAGs will not fit in some mag pouches.

The new Export models may, I have not played with them yet.

TR

Justinmd
12-29-2009, 19:48
The Emag, while slimmer in the body, stills has a wider floorplate. This is not the reason they weren't picked from what I understand. This has been an ongoing issue/drama with I think Picatinny (but could have been Crane).

Picatinny was trying to make their own polymer mag, for many years. I've seen some of the testing reports, and I'm pretty sure it was a failure. This follower has also been in the works also for many years, from what I've heard.

Why didn't they take the Magpul follower...I'm not sure. It sounds to me like a "not invented here" type of thing, but I'm not privvy to everything. If that is correct, this is the same thing the .gov/.mil ordnance types got in trouble for back in the M16 testing/adoption days.

It seems to me that there is something up, because as good as the Pmag reportedly is, it isn't widely fielded, and only got an NSN through a non US military. And I know that Magpul has been trying to get it into the system.

Justin
-former Magpul employee

Surgicalcric
12-29-2009, 19:51
Is their a particular reason why the Army just didn't go with the P-Mags from MAGPUL...

The same reason we ended up with the abortion known as ACU's instead of MC; Natick needs a reason to exist. :rolleyes:

Crip