PDA

View Full Version : New Year Predictions - 2010

nmap
12-28-2009, 18:33
What's 2010 going to be like? No one really knows, of course, but making predictions is fun - and looking at what happened (and what didn't happen) after the year has passed is even better. So in that spirit, I have polished up the crystal ball, and as I gaze into the depths, I see...

Oil prices in a trading range, not going up or down much from here. New Iraqi supplies coming online, along with persistent slack demand will prevent any big move up.

Gold and silver will also drift through the year, although they may end 2010 on a strong note. This will result from a relatively strong dollar, which will not collapse but rather will hold its value. In turn, the strength of the dollar will result from the decline of the Euro and concerns about the stability of Europe and the rest of the world. U.S. economic troubles notwithstanding, the dollar will be seen as a safe-haven during 2010.

The U.S. stock market will see a decline, probably in the second quarter of 2010 - in the period between April and June. I would guess it would take us to about 8900 on the Dow. It will then recover, leading to claims that a new bull market has started. Don't believe it - but that gets into 2011.

Interest rates will go higher, with both the 10 and 30 year treasury bonds reaching much higher yields. Look for 5.5% on 30 year bonds, and 4.75% on 10 year bonds.

Unemployment will not go down, although we will see stabilization - keep an eye on U6, which I expect to stay above 15%.

Loans will continue to be difficult for both individuals and small businesses. Residential real estate will not improve. Commercial real estate will decline.

Overall business activity will not improve. Debt will become ever-more onerous, and those with liquid cash will have many opportunities.

Congress will become even less trusted and less popular. Political discussions will become more rancorous.

Mexico will face further instability. Border issues will capture the headlines. Some of the instability will cross the border, leading to calls for control of the border. Those calls will be studied but otherwise ignored.

Crime will increase. Government at every level will face financial pressures, and police departments will experience cuts.

Expect several states to call for federal bailouts.

Summarizing, 2010 will be a challenging year for most. Those with liquid assets and secure incomes will enjoy a variety of opportunities. Those burdened with debt, and those in less secure jobs will find less to enjoy.

And now that I've stuck my neck out...your turn!

Dozer523
12-28-2009, 18:57
Doesn't sound too bad. . . you didn't forget to use pink, did you?

as for : Interest rates will go higher, with both the 10 and 30 year treasury bonds reaching much higher yields. Look for 5.5% on 30 year bonds, and 4.75% on 10 year bonds. Should we look for 30 yr mortgages in the 7% range?

echoes
12-28-2009, 19:07
What's 2010 going to be like?

Predicition for 2010:

U.S. Special Forces Soldiers will continue to "Win the fight," of hearts and minds in Our current War on Terror!!! And in doing so...continue to kick Ass!:)

Holly

nmap
12-28-2009, 19:18
Should we look for 30 yr mortgages in the 7% range?

I think that's a good bet...

No, no pink needed. For the majority of people here, 2010 won't be bad at all. :munchin

GratefulCitizen
12-28-2009, 19:42
Well, in the spirit of contrarianism, here goes.

-China's economy will stall (or evidence of is stalling will show...) within 3-5 months.
-China will buy fewer commodities and may even export some stockpiles.
-Commodities will plummet, triggering deflation/deflation fears.
-The fed and the feds will institute more inflationary measures.
-Sometime next summer, inflation will gain traction.
-The dims will increase fratricide and defections as the year continues.
-Old media will melt into frenzies which exceed prior histrionics, and cry for financial help to save "legitimate" media.

-2010 mid-terms will be a blood-bath for dims.
-GC will re-subscribe to cable tv in order to gleefully watch old media personalities melt down.

-The president will start listening to counsel from military advisors...and take credit for their successes.