PDA

View Full Version : Lost - with a GPS

Pete
12-28-2009, 14:46
Another lost with a GPS story.

Couple followed the GPS and got stuck for 3 days. They were lucky - got a weak cell signel.

"Couple Stuck in Oregon Snow for 3 Days After GPS Leads Them Astray"

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,581303,00.html?test=latestnews

Folks - trust it - but don't trust it with your life.

albeham
12-28-2009, 16:17
Nice..

You got to be a little smarter then the gear you use..

Having a sense of direction helps also.

I do use a GPS for work and hobbies, never been lost, never been down a one-way road.

Don't know I just use it well...Thanks Pete, the lessons learned.

:munchin
AL

Pete
12-28-2009, 16:39
Kinda' goes with this thread

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24461&highlight=dEATH+Valley

mojaveman
12-28-2009, 17:06
Then again it's always good to have a paper map as a backup. ;)

Richard
12-28-2009, 17:42
Your Brain on GPS

http://nhpr.org/node/27828

And so it goes...;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

armymom1228
12-28-2009, 18:59
Then again it's always good to have a paper map as a backup. ;)

I am a luddite, I don't own nor want a GPS. I love maps, compass' and finding my own without a computer voice telling me, "in 500, 300, 100 feet turn right" I find it irritating in the extreme. It makes me want to toss it out a window.:rolleyes:

craigepo
12-28-2009, 20:22
"Dammit Ranger. Don't point to where you're at on the map with your finger. Your finger can cover up a whole grid square. Use a pine needle. You better be right, or you are a no-go on this patrol."
I can still see that RI, arty simulator in hand. I still use a map/compass, still stop when I'm not sure of my location within 200 meters. Still don't trust a GPS.

Dozer523
12-28-2009, 20:57
Out Magellan speaks with a female voice.
The other day "she" provided "advice" (as opposed to "directions"). MRFL (who's in sales and puts 25,000 miles per year on her car in her territory) was dissatisfied with said advice.
Sez MRFL: "Shut that Blonde up."
I almost fell out of the car (going 70 mph) laughing. Afchic know why. You can guess.

nmap
12-28-2009, 21:18
I have a GPS in the car. I love it. Not just like - we are talking about the kind of transcendent love that Romeo and Juliet couldn't begin to achieve. But then, my sense of direction consists of "forward" and "backward".

One of these days, some smart fellow will find a way to wire me into my machines... :D

bubba
12-28-2009, 22:25
I just have that "marching band in a corner" scene out of Animal House in mind...........

lksteve
12-28-2009, 22:43
I've been using GPS professionally for twelve years...just about the time I think there is nothing else that can go wrong to surprise me, I find a new and exciting glitch in the system...

And even the survey grade systems have female voices to "help" you work...
When staking out reference points for construction, the voice is programmed to tell you to go left or right, in or out or to stake the point...I hired a female party chief once, pretty little thing, and she attracted guys on construction sites like crazy...she was quite the distraction...and one fine day, she's out staking rough grades for an access road in the midst of the normal throng of admirers she seemed to attract and I hear the voice from the data collector saying "go in, go out, go left, go right, go in, go out, go in, stake point, go out, go in, stake point, stake point, stake point..." :rolleyes: She had quite the audience and wound up reddening the faces of several of her admirers without saying a word...