PDA

View Full Version : Legal policy question

Roguish Lawyer
07-22-2004, 09:48
Help me out here. Do you guys think that class action settlement notices should have to available in Spanish upon request?

Team Sergeant
07-22-2004, 10:00
Sure and in Thai, Lao, Bahasa, Russian, etc etc etc.

English is the language of the United States period. All others wishing to do business in the US should learn it....

Sacamuelas
07-22-2004, 10:02
my vote. NO

see TS's post for clarification.

Gypsy
07-22-2004, 11:37
Not a lawyer, don't play one on TV and didn't sleep at a Holiday Inn last night...but my vote is a resounding no. You want to sue via the US court system, learn the language. That would be English.

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 11:42
No.

Or any language other than English.

TR

magician
07-22-2004, 12:20
Got to respectfully disagree.

Does not really matter, though.

The dominant language of the United States will be Spanish soon enough. Just look at our demographics, and that sieve that we call a border.

Just taking back what is rightfully ours. Remember, my people came here riding tall on horses, and seized this continent from the natives at sword point, using disease as a biological weapon, all in the name of the Spanish crown and the cross.

By rights, I should be the governor of New Mexico.

:)

Solid
07-22-2004, 13:39
Disregard demographics, IMO. English is the international language of business and many other areas. By allowing Spanish to become the dominant language of America, we could be harming our economy. Furthermore, by maintaining English as the dominant language, we require non-english speakers to learn, and thereby increase labour flexibility.
Overall, though, TS nailed it.

JMO,

Solid

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 13:51
Originally posted by magician
Got to respectfully disagree.

Does not really matter, though.

The dominant language of the United States will be Spanish soon enough. Just look at our demographics, and that sieve that we call a border.

Just taking back what is rightfully ours. Remember, my people came here riding tall on horses, and seized this continent from the natives at sword point, using disease as a biological weapon, all in the name of the Spanish crown and the cross.

By rights, I should be the governor of New Mexico.

You have my vote, brown man, but I think you are a bit more conservative than they would expect.

Now give me my welfare, ese.

TR

Bravo1-3
07-22-2004, 13:51
I voted Yes. I think it would be great if English was "the law of the land", but it isn't. Not supplying at least the most basic information regarding these cases to people who might have a legitimate interest in the issue is unjust.

I personally can't stand it when I can't communicate the most simple of transactions with someone due to language, but I couldn't see holding it against them if they've got a legitimate case to make against an unjust or unfair act.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-22-2004, 13:59
Absolutely not. If you live here you better speak the language. This is supposed to be a melting pot not a frigging stew.

Jack Moroney

Sacamuelas
07-22-2004, 14:04
Originally posted by Jack Moroney
Absolutely not. If you live here you better speak the language. This is supposed to be a melting pot not a frigging stew.
Jack Moroney

CLASSIC!!! I believe I have found a new sig line for a while- with your consent Sir. :D

Roguish Lawyer
07-22-2004, 14:09
Originally posted by The Reaper
Now give me my welfare, ese.

Now what kind of 7th Group remark is that? LMAO

Latinos have conservative Republican values for the most part, but all of this anti-immigration hysteria is driving them into the arms of the Dems. Wise up, people!

:munchin

magician
07-22-2004, 14:15
the argument that English is the de facto international language, and the primary language used for business worldwide, holds water, IMO.

living in Thailand, I am personally relieved when I encounter English-speaking Thais who are able to assist me, whether they are taxi drivers, or hotties working in the shopping malls.

that is not to say that I am insensitive to the cultural imperialism implicit in the cult of the dollar. I make it a point to try hard to speak some Thai, and I am learning it as fast as my increasingly senile brain can handle.

this is their country, after all, and I am simply a guest who attempts to reciprocate the graciousness of the people that I meet.

there is a legal and demographic argument, however, that will not be denied. America is a nation of immigrants. Granted, my parents were forced to use English in school when they were young, risking a brisk ruler across the knuckles if they spoke Spanish. There are those who argue, with some justification, that to become Americanized means a degree of emancipation from your ethnicity. But we do confront a dilemma when Spanish speakers, or Chinese speakers, or speakers of Arabic, or speakers of the Hmong dialect, or example, find themselves in court.

do we turn our backs on another grand American tradition, that we all are entitled to our day in court, if recent immigrants, legal or illegal, cannot understand the proceedings? I think not. Yes, it poses a challenge. Yes, it is inconvenient. But it is more American, and beautifully so, to ensure that legal proceedings are transparent to all parties.

that is the way that I see it, anyway.

and I will incidentally defend to the death the right of each of you to disagree with me.

TR, your welfare is assured should you someday show up on my doorstep, hermano. It does not even need to be said.

But I grant you your point. Those immigrants who come to work should be encouraged. Those who come to abuse welfare programs should be evicted. This is less a matter of ethics than of economics. In a perfect world, we would provide for all, in accordance with their need.

We have all seen what has happened to those societies that attempted, at the cost of millions of lives, to enforce that ideal. That system has ended up in the proverbial dust-bin of history.

And you are correct: if it is conservative to cherish Thomas Jefferson, then I am guilty, guilty, guilty.

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-22-2004, 14:25
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
CLASSIC!!! I believe I have found a new sig line for a while- with your consent Sir. :D

You know, I really don't want to sound insensitive (yeah, right) but this crap gets a little old. Nothing pisses me off more than a bunch of folks that come to this country and then proceed to establish some frigging enclave so that they can preserve their heritiage, roots, or whatever because they don't want their kids growing up and not maintaining a connection with their past. Well, hell, these folks left their country because things were not to their liking, or they left because they did not have the balls to stand and fight for what they "believe in" and THAT is something worth passing on to their kids? I must be missing something here. I guess I should go live in a dirt cellar, eat rotten potatos (or is it potatoes), drink my self into a stupor and after I get the Irish hertiage out of my system go plundeing and pillaging up and down the country side to maintain my Viking skills and after that perhaps I will go invade every frigging non-German speaking neighborhood to exercise my genetic superiority and right to displace others by my GOTT given right of Lebenstraum. Well got to go now, dinner is being served: Wurst, boiled cabbage, and mead out of a damn drinking horn-and who says I'm not sensitive:D

Jack Moroney

Roguish Lawyer
07-22-2004, 14:29
He's on a roll!

NousDefionsDoc
07-22-2004, 14:46
No, The People think it should be in English only. Although The People can read it in either one.

When I came down here, nobody ask me if I wanted anything in English. They don't care and they're right. Their court, their rules.