PDA

View Full Version : World's Friendliest Countries

AngelsSix
12-26-2009, 07:45
Chart doesn't translate well, so here's an abbreviated version, the full version is at the link, which shows the factors involved.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/30/worlds-friendliest-countries-lifestyle-travel-canada-bahrain-hsbc-chart.html

World's Friendliest Countries
Rebecca Ruiz, 12.01.09, 12:01 AM EST
These nations are the most hospitable to expatriates, according to a new report.

1 Bahrain
2 Canada
3 Australia
4 Thailand
5 Malaysia
6 South Africa
7 Hong Kong
8 Singapore
9 Spain
10 United States

Methodology

The Expat Explorer survey was commissioned by HSBC Bank International and conducted by the research company FreshMinds. More than 3,100 expatriates were surveyed between February and April 2009.The respondents were asked to rate 23 factors related to their quality of life, including food, entertainment, transportation, health care, finances, education and their ability to make friends. Each criterion is equally weighted to arrive at a score. The overall ranking is based on the average score for a country across the criteria. Eight measures were also selected to comprise the integration score: organizing school for my children; organizing my finances; organizing my health care; finding somewhere to live; making friends; making local friends; setting up utilities; and joining local community groups. The integration score was used to determine the friendliest countries.

peshguy
12-27-2009, 09:49
Ireland should be in the top ten as a very friendly country to expats.

SF_BHT
12-27-2009, 10:08
I read this the other day in FORBES and thought it was very interesting.

Governments should look at this study.

All Continents are represented except Central and South America. Guess they are not as friendly and attractive as they try to advertise.

Guess one day they will get out of the banana republic mentality or not.

JUst my .02cents

echoes
12-27-2009, 17:36
1 Bahrain
2 Canada
3 Australia
4 Thailand
5 Malaysia
6 South Africa
7 Hong Kong
8 Singapore
9 Spain
10 United States

Cannot believe that South America is not on this list, and Canada is!!! WTH?:confused:

Having visited Canada, as my brother married a Canadian and is currently raising his family in Calgary, (due to his work,) I can say that they are a nice people...HOWEVER, when I visited Peru last year, I was blown away at the hospitality, and genuine kindeness of the peruvian people towards me...an American!

JMVHO,

Holly

Pete
12-27-2009, 17:55
I looked, and looked again at the chart and chewed my pencil a bit.

That got me to thinking who were the expat's? Why did they move? What were they doing, where were they living, etc, etc, etc. Just more questions.

A persons view of a country can be influenced by where they settle.

Also what their goals and expectations were.

mojaveman
12-27-2009, 19:06
Interesting that South Africa was sixth on the list. They are ninth on the list of all countries in the World for intentional homicides. Hmm...

AngelsSix
12-28-2009, 07:57
Sorry if I forgot to add,...the chart in the post is not the same as the article....the article lists the "factors" that they used to determine the reasons those countries were chosen. I was a little surprised at some of them as well.

CSB
12-28-2009, 11:13
Israel should be on the list.

Pete S
12-29-2009, 07:06
Interesting that South Africa was sixth on the list. They are ninth on the list of all countries in the World for intentional homicides. Hmm...

And South Africa is number 2 in the world for reported rapes.
I was surprised to see them on the list at all.
Not a place I'd like to live.