PDA

View Full Version : Obama's Ammo Control

Warrior-Mentor
12-23-2009, 19:31
Ammunition Control by the Obama Administration
by A.W.R. Hawkins
12/22/2009

Without bullets, a gun is no more useful as a weapon than a rock or a hammer. Although an unloaded gun could be thrown at an intruder or a tyrant, the lack of ammunition ultimately reduces it to the status of a glorified paperweight.

And this is not lost on the nearly 100 million gun owners in America, a number of which are asking if the current shortage of bullets is the result of backdoor efforts at gun control (via ammunition control) by the Obama Administration?

The quick answer to that question is -- not exactly.

In other words, the reasons behind the current shortage, as the well as the price increases on what little ammunition is available, are both governmental and nongovernmental in nature.

As for the government’s role, a prime example arose in March 2009 when the Department of Defense (DOD) suddenly changed its policy about selling old brass from spent military rounds to Georgia Arms, an ammunition manufacturer located in Winston, Georgia.

According to Curtis Shipley, President of Georgia Arms, on March 12, 2009, the DOD, which had been a longstanding source of cheap brass for the ammo manufacturer, decided that brass could only be purchased from the military if it was “mutilated.” In other words, it would not longer be possible to buy empty brass casings that Georgia Arms could then clean, quickly reload, and sell to the public at a low price.

When I spoke to Shipley, who had been accustomed to buying spent brass in increments of fifteen tons from the DOD, he said, “This portended higher prices because it required us to either mutilate perfectly good brass when we picked it up from a military base or have a DOD employee travel with us (and the brass) to verify that we did indeed mutilate it at a another site.”

Once mutilated, Georgia Arms would have had to melt the brass down, re-alloy it (casings for each caliber require a specific alloy blend that can sustain the pressures for that caliber), and then re-shape it into the proper casing for whichever caliber they were manufacturing. Said Shipley: “Such a process would add approximately $90 to the cost of one thousand rounds of 9mm ammunition right off the bat.”

Fortunately, the public outcry against this DOD maneuver was so great that the order to mutilate all brass was rescinded after just five days. However, those five days were enough to contribute to another problem the government had been causing since November 2008 – namely, fear of an all out Obama-led assault on guns and ammo.
Speaking to this fear, Larry Pratt, Executive Director of Gun Owners of America, said: “You can go to gun stores all over the country and many of them will have a picture of President Obama hanging on the wall. However, when you get up close to the picture and look at the caption on the bottom, instead of saying ‘President’ it says ‘Gun Salesman of the Year.’”

Pratt said gun owners are rightly leery of this administration. Obama supports the new California law that will require every semi-automatic pistol sold in that state to come equipped with a special firing mechanism that makes a distinctive mark – a “fingerprint” – on every bullet casing it fires. And currently, some Democrats in the House of Representatives want to take that law a step further and enact legislation that would force ammunition companies to place serial numbers on every shell casing they manufacture.

Let me just say that if you think ammunition is scarce and expensive now, wait till manufacturers have to put a serial number on every casing and maintain records containing the names, addresses, etc., of everyone who purchases such casings.

No wonder Pratt said: “None of this is about safety. Rather, it’s about finding ways to create an ammo and gun registry that will allow the government to finally figure out which son got daddy’s gun when daddy passed away.”

And while the government is doing its part to make ammunition harder to find, either directly, via episodes like the one between Georgia Arms and the DOD, or indirectly, by scaring citizens to death through anti-gun posturing that has caused a run on ammo sales, the market plays a role as well. With demand outpacing supply the market sustains higher prices for ammo under Obama than it was able to sustain for that same ammo during the presidency of a pro-gun politician like George W. Bush.

Add to this the fact that we’re now sending the majority of the lead from our recycled car batteries to China, instead of selling that lead to ammunition manufacturers who can cheaply reclaim it to make affordable bullets for their casings, and it’s no wonder consumers are scrambling to find ammunition and then paying a fortune for it when they do.

Did I fail to mention that millions upon millions of rounds of ammunition are currently being diverted to our troops in Iraq, Afghanistan, and elsewhere right now as well? While this is understandable, it further highlights the fact that we gun owners are in a tight spot, as far as getting ammunition for our guns is concerned.

With all these variables affecting the availability of ammunition, this would be a great time to join a group like Gun Owners of America. By so doing we would assure the politicians in D.C. that if they use their offices to further deny us bullets for our guns, we will use the voting booth to deny them the very offices they now hold.

HUMAN EVENTS columnist A.W.R. Hawkins holds a Ph.D. in U.S. Military History from Texas Tech University. He will be a Visiting Fellow at the Russell Kirk Center for Cultural Renewal during the summer of 2010.

SOURCE:
http://www.humanevents.com/article.php?id=34932

GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA:
http://gunowners.org/

Paslode
12-23-2009, 21:27
Maybe availability if different elsewhere in the country, but in my area Cabelas has pretty much everything caliber wise on the shelves and loads of bulk. The only problem spot has been primers and factory casings from time to time.

HOLLiS
12-24-2009, 10:43
Recently ammo is loosing up. (in my area) My understanding was that the restriction on brass was reversed and is now being sold.

Looking at ammo on the self here, ammo is from virgin brass. Over a year ago the rise in ammo prices was attributed to the cost of raw material rising. This seemed to be correct because the recyclers was paying more for materials.

With the current shortage, that seems to be easing off, I tend to feel it is a consumer driven event. There is also a second group of hoarders, the urban survivalist. Last year the there was talk of the recession hitting 1930's depression levels.

Also the ammo industry have not responded to the demand by increasing the productions and facilities. I feel a wise decision. Having seen a number of shortages from hoarding, when the demands slows down or stop, normal buying will too. Like the 2000 panic, in a year or so, ammo and gun prices should drop as hoarders realize they cannot shoot 40000 rds in their life time.

The people most effected in this are those who buy on demand only what they will use. For a while there, people who would have normally bought a box or two bought a case.

I think Obama's contribution is based on perceived anti-firearms laws that would be passed. Conservative talking heads has also fed this fear.

Hopefully the 100 Million firearm owners will vote.

kgoerz
12-24-2009, 13:12
Maybe availability if different elsewhere in the country, but in my area Cabelas has pretty much everything caliber wise on the shelves and loads of bulk. The only problem spot has been primers and factory casings from time to time.

we are seeing a lot of this now. There was a big rush to produce mass amounts of Ammo during the Obama Panic buy of 2009. So now the Ammo manufactures have a huge surplus of Ammo to sell.
We will see more and more Ammo on the shelves in the coming months. Also we will see prices dropping.
My local Walmart that had their shelves empty a few months ago. Now they have all their shelves stocked full. My Brother says the same is happening in Cape Coral Florida. Shelves that were empty the last nine months are over flowing with Ammo now.

frostfire
12-24-2009, 14:44
around here, the Atlanta Arms and Ammo box (used by AMU, Glock Team, etc.) is now not only more available than usual Walmart white box, it's also cheaper. Weird...

dirtyshirt
12-24-2009, 15:15
In Baldwin county Al and across the bridge in Mobile County Ala,ammo of all calibers is EXTREMELY rare,and when found,ridiculously high.

$53.25 for a box of 25 9mm hollowpoint ammo.

$52.10 for a box of 25 .40 same type ammo.

12 Ga in slug or buck (any buck) is unavail. and has been for months.

When the few boxes of hi priced ammo is gone,guy doesnt know when or if he will be able to get more. He says panic buying,coupled with other things have made the price go up,and the ammo mfgrs cant keep up with demand.

I need 9mm,but would never pay that price!

FirstClass
12-24-2009, 15:20
http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/

mark46th
12-27-2009, 17:09
I'm out here on the left coast. I was at Walmart today, they had 3 boxes of .270 Win in the ammo case so I bought all 3, just in case. Their selection is very limited here in Southern California. I went pig hunting this summer in King City, a no lead area because of the Condor. The Walmart in Paso Robles had one box of lead free .270 that I bought. I reloaded for my .308 using Barnes X bullets, so I was OK with my back up rifle. My point is even Walmart had very low inventory levels on Centerfire ammo. They did have lots of shotgun ammo on hand....

jbour13
12-27-2009, 18:42
My brother is telling me ammo is becoming more abundant and they (his company) expect to sell more guns and more ammo. Buyer beware though, some places will sell ammo cheaper, but boost their sales on guns just to get the holdouts. Seen it before at a Gun Store in NoVa (not the one I worked at fortunately) and was told it was common amongst stores that have low sales volume.

I plan on buying, and having the wife buy it while I'm deployed as usual. Nothing like coming home to a throne of multi-caliber goodness. :D

Registering creates witch hunts and ultimately keeps 1 more method of tracking an individual. In this day of technology, they already know where the current teen generation is. We're so wired, it wouldn't be hard to find us.

It scares me, and it doesn't. Part of me says it's one more way to get into my pocket, into my life, and into my well being. The other says, they are already there in my pocket, life, and well being since I'm active duty.

How serious is the presidency (any political affiliation) about taking away guns? Not really. But slow erosion of rights, and enablers of guns, your sense of normalcy begins to disappear. Bullets are an enabler just like the story says, useless (or well oiled club to some). It's a tricky one that ranks up there with religion and abortion as far as how harshly we react when it's challenged.

ApacheIP
02-25-2010, 20:27
Ed's had 1000 round cases of 9mm on sale earlier today of US 1 outside of Southern Pines. I bought a case cause it seemed like a good deal.

I haven't been able to find reasonably priced .300 winmag. Anybody with a decent source locally (60 miles from SOP), a PM would be appreciated.

Surf n Turf
02-26-2010, 22:46
I need 9mm,but would never pay that price!

dirtyshirt,
Try Eric at Ammoman.com --- all prices include delivery
SnT

http://www.ammoman.com/

9MM WINCHESTER 124 GRAIN
FMJ = FULL METAL JACKET
$169- 500 rounds.
ONE SEALED CASE
DELIVERED

SPEER LAWMAN 9MM 124 GRAIN
FMJ - FULL METAL JACKET
$159- 500 rounds.