PDA

View Full Version : All you 82nd Paratroopers

Pete
12-22-2009, 19:53
Third-generation Paratrooper Deploys

http://www.defense.gov//News/NewsArticle.aspx?ID=57216

"CAMP RAMADI, Iraq, Dec. 22, 2009 – In the dew-laden predawn darkness of June 6, 1944, Everton Bushnell jumped into Sainte-Mere-Eglise, France, with the two-year-old 82nd Airborne Division. Twenty-five years later, his son, Ellsworth Bushnell, fought with the “All Americans” in Vietnam and spent six months as a prisoner of war.

And in September of this year, Army Sgt. 1st Class John Bushnell became the third generation of Bushnells to wear the All American patch to a war zone when he deployed to Iraq with the 82nd Airborne Division’s 1st Brigade Special Troops Battalion, 1st Brigade............"

mojaveman
12-22-2009, 20:41
Interesting Pete,

I wonder if there are any second or third generation SF guys depolyed overseas.

The Reaper
12-22-2009, 21:07
Interesting Pete,

I wonder if there are any second or third generation SF guys depolyed overseas.

I'd say that would be a pretty safe bet.

I know several.

TR

Dozer523
12-22-2009, 22:37
My dad earned his Basic Wings in 1957. In 1977 I earned mine. Dad retired that year and passed those wings to me. He managed to polish the risers off of them.
When I left the service in 90 I sent them to my little brother. My oldest son earned his wings in 96 and Bro and I passed them on to him.
Those wings have been in continuous service for 52 years. Been to Germany, Vietnam, Korea, Desert Storm, Iraq, and Afghanistan. They have been worn by 2 Field Artillerymen an Infantryman/SF, and a Military Intelligence guy.
Grand children are waiting in the wings.:cool:

mojaveman
12-22-2009, 23:46
My dad earned his Basic Wings in 1957. In 1977 I earned mine. Dad retired that year and passed those wings to me. He managed to polish the risers off of them.
When I left the service in 90 I sent them to my little brother. My oldest son earned his wings in 92 and Bro and I passed them on to him.
Those wings have been in continuous service for 52 years. Been to Germany, Vietnam, Korea, Desert Storm, Iraq, and Afghanistan. They have been worn by 2 Field Artillerymen an Infantryman/SF, and a Military Intelligence guy.

That is what one calls tradition...

Stingray
12-23-2009, 03:12
That is a great story. Thanks for sharing it Dozer.

Sincerely,

When I left the service in 90 I sent them to my little brother. My oldest son earned his wings in 92 and Bro and I passed them on to him.

mac117
12-23-2009, 10:26
Hey Dozer....everytime a bell rings....a Trooper gets his wings! (sorry, couldn't resist, it being the season and all!)

alright4u
12-23-2009, 11:42
Interesting Pete,

I wonder if there are any second or third generation SF guys deployed overseas.

"Actually, we had a second generation SF man in RVN. Hardy Batchelor (Sp) was the son. His father was a well known CWO I believe. "

Today ,there are many.

f50lrrp
12-23-2009, 13:27
I wore my dad's WWII OSS wings in Vietnam. I passed them on to my brother who wore them with the 1st Cav Pathfinders in Vietnam.

greenberetTFS
12-23-2009, 22:24
When I left the service in 90 I sent them to my little brother. My oldest son earned his wings in 96 and Bro and I passed them on to him.
Grand children are waiting in the wings.

Dozer,

What a great posting......:lifter I got my wings in 1955 at Ft.Bragg, Gen. Trappnel handed them to us one at a time...... :cool:They were then sent to my bride of 51 years now when she was 14 years old and she wore them every day at school until she graduated and we were married when she was 17 and I was 20. Possibly the youngest soldiers wife at that time because I went back to the 10th in Germany...................;)

Big Teddy :munchin

lonewolf726
12-26-2009, 08:21
"Actually, we had a second generation SF man in RVN. Hardy Batchelor (Sp) was the son. His father was a well known CWO I believe. "

Today ,there are many.

Hardy was the father, Tommy the son, the grandson is in SF training now. ;)