PDA

View Full Version : The "how you carry" thread got me wondering...

Animal8526
12-21-2009, 04:29
Full disclosure: I have minimal background in the realm of "tactical". The closest I ever came to being highspeed was running convoys in Iraq, and being in a gun truck a couple times when our security platoon was short a man. I don't wish to come off as a "mall ninja", but I do strive to be as tactically and technically proficient as reasonably possible (considering a completely soft 50-60hr a week job) for situations which I could realistically find myself in within my lifetime. Specifically, getting the hell out of dodge if shit ever goes south in a hard way, and keeping me and mine from growing any new holes in the process. I live in a moderate sized urban area, and any situation that ever has me needing to put on my kit and bugging out would have to be *very* bad. As such speed and mobility are the two things I'm banking on, as well as well applied brute force if prudent. If my question sounds like I'm straying out of my lane, I apologize.

Having said all that...

outside non combat defensive use, the only few things a pistol is really good for is as a secondary weapon for when the primary doesn't go bang, as a highly menueverable firearm for use in certain CQB roles (which I don't think I'll ever find myself in) or in tight spaces, like vehicles (for drivers, who have another primary concern).

Since drop leg rigs are great for keeping a pistol where it needs to be for transitions while moving in LPC's, but typically suck for things like driving, and chest rigs work just the opposite strong suits, is there a place for both when prepping for a mission that could well have you shooting while both mounted and dismounted? Being able to transfer your secondary to a chest rig as you get in a vehicle and back to your thigh when you dismount (if the situation allowed such luxuries of time), seems like it might be the best of both worlds. Or does this just unnecessarily complicate things?

I imagine that since traveling fast and light tends to win out over overloaded and slow, there's not much realism to the concept of carry two secondaries, one in each? If I ever sounded like an airsofter I think that was the closest.

Again, just have my mind going over the issue (or non issue) and I'd like to hear some input from those who've BTDT.

The Reaper
12-21-2009, 06:33
I don't think you want to be gun juggling and trying to remember where your pistol is during an urgent need for it.

I would pick one and learn to work with it.

TR

Animal8526
12-21-2009, 07:56
I don't think you want to be gun juggling and trying to remember where your pistol is during an urgent need for it.

I would pick one and learn to work with it.

TR

rgr. thats more or less what I was thinking was the downside in the "adjust to fit" mentality.

bad enough most of us have one method of carry for "civvy" uses and another for "duty".

Thank you for the input.

kgoerz
12-21-2009, 08:29
Safariland makes a Pistol Holster Kit now. It's the same exact hooded Holster system Safariland is known for. But you can easily detach your Holster from your leg platform. It comes with another platform that attachés to your Mollee. A third platform allows for you to easily switch it to a high/hip/concealed carry.
We were concerned with the strength of the attaching system. We tried our best and could not break it off. This kit basically allows the unit to buy one type of kit. Then the operator can carry the way he wants depending on the situation. It is expensive. Around $400 for one kit. IMO, well worth the price.

kgoerz
12-21-2009, 08:50
http://www.safariland.com/DutyGear/duty/mls.aspx

Here is the link. I forgot to add the best thing about this system. It allows you to change out your Holster when changing Pistols. Without having to change out your complete pistol Rig.

Animal8526
12-21-2009, 17:42
kgoerz... that's a nice piece of kit. pricey for sure though...

vastly better than the blackhawk serpa stuff, in your opinion? I have a serpa CQC (I think that's what it's called... level II retention) for my XD's that I'm pretty happy with... been meaning to get the MOLLE mount adapter and the thigh rig for it.

Streck-Fu
12-21-2009, 20:02

kgoerz
12-22-2009, 08:36
kgoerz... that's a nice piece of kit. pricey for sure though...

vastly better than the black hawk serpa stuff, in your opinion? I have a serpa CQC (I think that's what it's called... level II retention) for my XD's that I'm pretty happy with... been meaning to get the MOLLE mount adapter and the thigh rig for it.

Just the fact thats it's Black Hawk I would never use it, but thats personal.
One the other hand. There are several documented incidents of debris entering the Serpa Holster and causing it to fail. Also numerous AD'S because of having to use your trigger finger to release. I saw one myself two months ago while working a private contract. Student shot himself thru the thigh.
It seems Safari Land could actually lose money on this product. Because there is no reason to buy a complete pistol rig for each of your Pistols. I have one for the non railed 1911 I use at work. Then I have one for my personal railed 1911 at home. This allows me to use the same exact kit as I do for work, For dry fire or shooting on my own time.

Tubbs
12-23-2009, 21:36
Several of my friends use the Serpa as their duty rig.

I do not like it for the same reasons as Kgoerz. Additionally I have heard from a friend in Border Patrol who works the northern border the Serpa is susceptible to sub-zero temperature. He says the plastic becomes brittle and it eventually breaks, although I cannot personally vouch for this.

I would recommend you look at a rig made by Safariland. Their products are incredibly durable and they have exceptional customer service.

Yes, these are expensive, but what is your life worth? Of course, this is just my opinion. The most important thing is you find a quality product that works for you.

wet dog
12-23-2009, 21:58
FYI -

Lately, I've begun to be of the opinion that hand grenades carried in an empty Claymore bag make a wonderful last ditch, back position weapon. Carried on my chest with carrying strap around my neck, one arm through. Depending on how you initially pack, you get either 10-12 grenades.

Remove the center stitching, secure button/hole system, and/or Hook-pile tape.

Only once did my Tm SGT think I was a fruit, but then again, I did save his ass.

greenberetTFS
12-24-2009, 00:22
FYI -

Lately, I've begun to be of the opinion that hand grenades carried in an empty Claymore bag make a wonderful last ditch, back position weapon. Carried on my chest with carrying strap around my neck, one arm through. Depending on how you initially pack, you get either 10-12 grenades.

Only once did my Tm SGT think I was a fruit, but then again, I did save his ass.

Wet Dog,you really are amazing,your feedback to these young tigers out there is really beyond what words can say,I was afraid you were going to tell them to become a suicide bomber if all else fails .................:rolleyes::eek::p

Big Teddy :munchin

Tubbs
12-25-2009, 20:54
FYI -

That right there sounds like a nice, tall, ice cold glass of awesome.:)

Animal8526
12-30-2009, 13:32
That right there sounds like a nice, tall, ice cold glass of awesome.:)

Sounds like a solution to a problem I hope to never have.

Streck-Fu
12-30-2009, 13:46

Here is the link. I forgot to add the best thing about this system. It allows you to change out your Holster when changing Pistols. Without having to change out your complete pistol Rig.

That looks like a nice kit with a lot of possibilities.