PDA

View Full Version : Preparing for upcoming deployment to Afghanistan

Sabre2G
12-19-2009, 13:51
I'm trying to figure out how to train my guys to better prepare them for our upcoming deployment to Afghanistan. This is my first deployment to that theater but, second overall. I would like some input from people with prior deployments to the theater with tips for better preparedness with my guys when we head out late next year.

jbour13
12-19-2009, 14:37
Accept some things that you cannot change. Stay out of the political and influence that of which is in your lane and do your best. Help others, read ahead as much as you can. Smile, take off your sunglasses, drink chai (get the shits) and smile regardless of how long or bitter it may seem. DO NOT check your watch and make sure you exercise patience when you talk with villagers/elders. If you come to give aid, and they want to talk about their son, the tribal issues, how big a libido he has, suck it up and LISTEN.

There is much more to understand, but keep your mind right. Accept that corruption exists at all levels and you cannot change it. Democracy exists, just not what you would accept.

Be nice when it calls for it, be aggressive when it calls for it.

Understand that your are there to work yourself out of a job. It is not one that you can fix, but that issue must be addressed by the locals and fixed by the locals. You are an enabler, not a conquerer, occupier, or infidel. Act as such and you will pay dearly by those you thought you established trust.

Never promise what you cannot deliver. Do not reinforce failure.

I'm an intel Soldier, not a SF Soldier. I do have the luxury of well established professional and personal relationships with good men that know what they are doing. Seek them out in your AO, get to know them, their capabilities and develop some continuity of effort.

READ THESE FORUMS. Search, search, and search again. A wealth of knowledge exists, has been put forth and will get you started.

V/R
SSG B

BigJimCalhoun
12-19-2009, 16:48
This link may be of interest.
http://militaryathlete.com/page.php?page_ID=35

Though he now charges for the workouts, he states the Afganistran training program is (still?) free.

Blitzzz (RIP)
12-19-2009, 19:34
Everything on there is just the same old stuff renamed and with no noticeable improvement over any thing else you can find.
Just re iterating,.. the Blitz is it.