PDA

View Full Version : Iranian troops seize Iraq oil well

Streck-Fu
12-18-2009, 09:20
LINK (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/8420774.stm)

Iran troops 'seize Iraq oil well'
Map

Iranian troops have entered southern Iraqi territory and taken control of an oil well, reports say.

An Iraqi official played down the incident, saying the area was abandoned and right on a disputed border section.

Iranian soldiers crossed the border and raised an Iranian flag over the Fakkah oil field, a US military spokesman told the AFP news agency.

Iraq's Deputy Interior Minister confirmed the Iranians stayed in Iraq and were in control of the well.

Earlier it was reported that they had withdrawn back across the border.

Deputy Interior Minister Ahmed Ali al-Khafaji initially told the Reuters news agency the reports of the Iranian incursion were not true.

But Mr Khafaji later confirmed the incursion had taken place, and said 11 Iranians had dug-in at the oil well and had not left.

He said there had been no military response from Iraqi forces..

"We are awaiting orders from our leader," he said.

The incursion is one of several that have occurred in the last few days, he said. :eek:
The well is about 500m from an Iranian border fort and about 1km from an Iraqi fort, US Colonel Peter Newell told AFP.

nmap
12-18-2009, 12:59
Why do I think the Middle East is going to explode some day soon?

I guess what I keep wondering is when Shiite Iraq ad Iran are going to gang up on Sunni Saudi Arabia. That's when life gets interesting, in my opinion.

HisDisciple
12-18-2009, 13:18

I guess what I keep wondering is when Shiite Iraq ad Iran are going to gang up on Sunni Saudi Arabia. That's when life gets interesting, in my opinion.

I read this and couldn't resist. I Had to put this picture up.

Sten
12-18-2009, 13:22

Peak Muslim?

nmap
12-18-2009, 16:42
Peak Muslim?

You jest...but in all seriousness...peak oil is likely to mean peak muslim.

HowardCohodas
12-18-2009, 20:46
Recall, the Iran/Iraq war (1980-1988) started over disputed territory. IIRC, Iraq invaded Iran that time. Iraq is in no position to defend itself against Iran without major US involvement. I think Iran just upped the ante.

Remington Raidr
12-19-2009, 01:00
Maybe someone can use some off-the-shelf software to see if a video feeds shows them there?:rolleyes:

Marina
12-19-2009, 20:03
The Iranians are cunning and lethal. They are playing to win. We aren't.

Saudi Arabia - just another "frenemy" like Pakistan. But keeper of the oil.

What would CENTCOM do if they didn't have to protect Saudi Arabia and the oil.

Isn't that why we invaded Iraq? Oil security.

Follow the money.

The Reaper
12-19-2009, 20:16

Follow the money.

I don't think so.

We spent trillions in Iraq, and let the Iraqi government sell their oil leases to non-American companies.

Would we have done that if it has really been all about the oil?

TR

nmap
12-19-2009, 20:31
Would we have done that if it has really been all about the oil?

Honestly, I keep gnawing on this bone. It's clear that we did not go after the oil in the sense of grabbing it for ourselves. On the other hand, the game may be more sophisticated.

Oil is fungible - easily exchanged back and forth between users and suppliers. Let's suppose China is buying oil from SA. Somehow, Iraq starts selling oil to China. That will tend to free up a barrel of Saudi oil, which could, in turn, flow into the U.S.

If we suppose that production limits are a possibility, then putting Iraq under a relatively friendly government would tend to assure stability of production. That, in turn, would both stabilize and strengthen the global economy. Given our national orientation toward free trade and globalization, such an outcome seems harmonious with our general objectives. In addition, Iraqi production would tend to put downward pressure on prices, again favorable both to the global and the national economy.

The weak element of this line of reasoning is the assumption of production limits. I contend they exist. Others see matters differently. Time will tell.

Marina
12-19-2009, 22:25
Right - not a direct oil grab for the US, but a means of stabilizing the world supply of oil and therefore global security. Under US hegemony and based on petro-dollars.

Saddam nationalized the Iraq oil industry in the 70s and drove it into the ground. He negotiated several big contracts with France, Russia and China. Priced in euros! No more oil pegged to the dollar. Without gold or oil backing it up, the dollar is just paper like what they print in Zimbabwe.

What was the first thing the CPA did after we shocked and awed in 2003? We set up a BANK. Then we ripped-up a trillion euros worth of Saddam’s oil contracts and switched Iraq back to dollar-based. Those new oil contracts are pegged to US currency, not Dutch $ or Chinese $.

All oil is priced in dollars. That means demand for dollars. Based on demand for oil. The world can't get enough.

Added benefit is that we’ve encircled the ME (Iran) with military bases so that future problems in one oil-producing state can be quashed without crippling disruption to all oil markets. No wonder Ahmadinejad is baying. Not totally boxed in but pretty close.

That's one argument anyway. I'm no expert. Maybe George W. just wanted revenge for Poppy or Cheney was really a profiteering warmonger. Who knows? Like nmap said, time will tell.

Here's what Alan Greenspan had to say:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/16/AR2007091601287.html

incarcerated
12-19-2009, 23:16
I'm seeing this as, like the well incident, a part of the same, slightly bigger picture.
http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1260930902014&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

Salehi: After 3 more tests, Bushehr plant will be operational

Dec 19, 2009 13:26
By JPOST.COM STAFF
Iranian Vice President and nuclear chief Ali Akbar Salehi says that the Russian-built nuclear power plant in Bushehr is almost operational, reported the Fars news agency on Saturday.

According to the report, Salehi stated that the facility would have to undergo only three more rounds of testing before becoming fully active.

"We have drawn up a timetable for the operation of the Bushehr plant with Russia and fortunately we are ahead of this timeframe," Salehi was quoted as saying.

incarcerated
12-20-2009, 05:27
http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jA-0x9NgAv51FYIqwFtYbOFrB3Mg

Iran troops 'leave oil well, still in Iraq'

By Fadel Mouchatat (AFP) – 4 hours ago
AMARA, Iraq — Iranian troops who for three days controversially occupied a disputed border oil well left the facility during the night but remain on Iraqi soil, Iraq's government spokesman said Sunday.

"The Iranian forces have pulled back 50 metres from the well and have taken their flag but we now demand they return to where they have come from and that negotiations begin on the demarcation of the border," said government spokesman Ali al-Dabbagh....

Pete
12-20-2009, 06:44
Iran trying to provoke a response?

Get a little lead flying, suck in a few troops from Iraq, add a few, suck in a few more - all aimed at getting the USAF to make a few strikes in Iran?

A few hand painted Milk Factory signs and some dead women and kids in a Military Truck for the world press?

This is the some country that had no problem with putting thousands of young boys on line and running them into dug in machineguns.

Or just a bit of chest thumping because they can get away with it?

The Reaper
12-20-2009, 09:49
I suspect that the Iranians have been saving civilian bodies (especially women and children) on ice for months waiting for us to attack their nuke sites.

TR

HowardCohodas
12-20-2009, 11:03

Can anyone argue that plentiful, reasonably and stably priced oil is not in our national interest? Except for those who oppose developing our own resources. Perhaps, that's why I consider them border-line traitors.

GratefulCitizen
12-20-2009, 15:00
Right - not a direct oil grab for the US, but a means of stabilizing the world supply of oil and therefore global security. Under US hegemony and based on petro-dollars.

Saddam nationalized the Iraq oil industry in the 70s and drove it into the ground. He negotiated several big contracts with France, Russia and China. Priced in euros! No more oil pegged to the dollar. Without gold or oil backing it up, the dollar is just paper like what they print in Zimbabwe.

What was the first thing the CPA did after we shocked and awed in 2003? We set up a BANK. Then we ripped-up a trillion euros worth of Saddam’s oil contracts and switched Iraq back to dollar-based. Those new oil contracts are pegged to US currency, not Dutch $ or Chinese $.

All oil is priced in dollars. That means demand for dollars. Based on demand for oil. The world can't get enough.

Added benefit is that we’ve encircled the ME (Iran) with military bases so that future problems in one oil-producing state can be quashed without crippling disruption to all oil markets. No wonder Ahmadinejad is baying. Not totally boxed in but pretty close.

That's one argument anyway. I'm no expert. Maybe George W. just wanted revenge for Poppy or Cheney was really a profiteering warmonger. Who knows? Like nmap said, time will tell.

Here's what Alan Greenspan had to say:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/16/AR2007091601287.html

Agree with elements of this.
Don't believe it is a big cabal-driven nwo thing.

Any method which disperses dollars around the world tends to increase the clout of this nation and diminishes the inflationary effects of money printing.
(remittances from illegal immigrants, drug money, petro-dollars, trade deficits...)

Don't know what was in the hearts of the decision makers.
Seems like it would be better to pick a fight over there than let the fight come here.
The fight was/is inevitable, regardless of other factors.