PDA

View Full Version : Bamboo fly rods

dennisw
12-15-2009, 12:38
Well, with my youngest leaving his team to be an instructor at the SF mountaineering school for three years and his brother transferring to to a college in the Colorado Springs area, I decided to purchase special Christmas gifts for them. I do not know much about bamboo fly rods, except my grandfather had one in the garage for a long time. With this in mind, I contacted Scott Nilsson of High Desert Fly Rods in Idaho. I was fortunate that Scott makes extra rods in case someone wants to buy one as a Christmas present. Scott sent me some pictures of the rods he is sending.

He hand makes about three rods every month. Hopefully, my sons will enjoy these in the years to come(and that they will not see this thread before Christmas :D).

wet dog
12-15-2009, 12:48
Beautiful rods. Tell your boys to PM me when ready, I'll take them to some really good water, (CO, WY, UT).

I fish only with Bamboo,

WD

Dozer523
12-15-2009, 13:47
Anyone else around here up for adoption?:D

JJ_BPK
12-15-2009, 15:23

Your kids are very lucky boys,, with a dad like you..:D:D:D

I only use Sage Rods,, don't trust myself with anything with reel wood...

Merry Christmas..

alright4u
12-16-2009, 01:39
What length and line weight are the rods? Very nice gifts. Winston bamboo rods start at three grand now. And their great cane rod maker hit the road. He got into it with the new owner.

I have too many rods. Three older cane rods, a Scott powerply 804. Sage 590 RPL, Sage 690XP, and; another great casting rod, a Winston IM6 8'6"5 weight. Only two of the rods go out west. The 690 XP on Wyoming Rivers like the Green, and; Winston 5 weight for medium and smaller. Actually the Winston protects light tippets better then any rod I have. The Scott 4 weight is a classic,too. It is a great dry fly rod.

wet dog
12-16-2009, 02:12
What length and line weight are the rods? Very nice gifts. Winston bamboo rods start at three grand now. And their great cane rod maker hit the road. He got into it with the new owner.

I have too many rods. Three older cane rods, a Scott powerply 804. Sage 596 RPL, Sage 696XP, and; another great casting rod, a Winston IM6 8'6"5 weight. Only two of the rods go out west. The 596 on Wyoming Rivers like the Green, and; Winston 5 weight for medium and smaller. Actually the Winston protects light tippets better then any rod I have. The Scott 4 weight is a classic,too. It is a great dry fly rod.

Another great rod maker is Michael Clark, Lyons, CO.

http://www.southcreekltd.com/

Regardless of the rod maker, plan on waiting 2-3 yrs for an order to be completed. And yes, $3000 is not uncommon.

I've ordered another, 8.5ft. 5 weight, 3/4 taper handle. Can't choose a handle, stuck between Bloodwood or Chinese White/Black Ebony.

WD

p.s., You can't have too many rods. Like .45 ACP, how do you know which one you want until you tried them all. My second wife never understood that.

wet dog
12-16-2009, 02:13

Dozer, if your feet ever touch Rocky Mountain soil, I'll take you up into the high country and we'll catch some fish.

Dozer523
12-16-2009, 06:45
Dozer, if your feet ever touch Rocky Mountain soil, I'll take you up into the high country and we'll catch some fish. That will be great!

dennisw
12-16-2009, 09:09
originally posted by alright4u
What length and line weight are the rods?

The rods are 7' and four weight.

originally posted by wet dog
Regardless of the rod maker, plan on waiting 2-3 yrs for an order to be completed. And yes, $3000 is not uncommon.

When I looked around, I was a little shocked at the prices. When I stumbled on Scott's website and saw that he charged $850.00 per pole and $1,000.00 for one with two tips, I got pretty excited. http://www.highdesertflyrods.com/

On his website, he mentions that the price of bamboo rods has skyrocketed due mainly to collectors as opposed to fisherman. Like I said earlier, I'm no expert, but I plan on getting into this more. He said he makes two to three per month.

Wetdog posted
Beautiful rods. Tell your boys to PM me when ready, I'll take them to some really good water, (CO, WY, UT).

I fish only with Bamboo,

WD

Wetdog,

I will pass this on to them. I'm sure they will take you up on this. Very cool offer.

booker
12-16-2009, 15:51
Since bamboo flyrods are made with Tonkin bamboo (Pseudosasa amabilis) most of which is imported, that causes an artificial inflation of raw material price. Couple that with the man hours needed to produce a operable fly rod and then you have a price similar to some of nicer man-made material rods. However, throw a company like Orvis in the mix, which offers bamboo rods for many thousands of dollars, and suddenly every wanna-be fly fisherman with money (yuppies) wants one, which skyrockets the price. Alternatively, you could find a small company like High Desert (good looking products) and you can get a nice rod for one hell of a deal- but only because actual fishermen buy them.

I see people straight off the cover of an Orvis catalog every fall up in Shenandoah NP- yuppie types from UVA that couldn't catch a fish if you threw it at them. Last few years they have been sporting bamboo rods.

wet dog
12-16-2009, 18:16
I see people straight off the cover of an Orvis catalog every fall up in Shenandoah NP- yuppie types from UVA that couldn't catch a fish if you threw it at them. Last few years they have been sporting bamboo rods.

Last August I was working in Reno, NV for a few weeks. Cache, my German Wirehair, happen'd to take the road trip with me. One Sunday morning, I headed to the nearest Fly shop to grab a one day pass, and ask what the hatch was. I was given some tips, bought a few flies and head for the Truckee River.

Upon arriving at a spot the looked promising I got wet. It was warm, no need hip or bibs, the water was cool for standing waist deep. A family was swimming, end of summer fun, kids, dogs and one guy 300' away wearing every article of clothing you could purchase from an LL bean or Orvis catalog. From hat to boots, this guy was a walking advertisement.

I slipped a small box of flies in my back pocket, threw my shirt on the bank, went in half naked. Cache help point standing on a high rock, 5' above the water and told me when a fish was swimming by. I was 3 for 3 in under 30 minutes. Nice Rainbows and one California Golden all averaging 15".

After my third fish, the mother of said family came over and asked if Fly Fishing was fun. She was inquiring about helping her husband who was in a funk and possibly needing a new hobby. I informed her that fishing was up there with Scotch, pretty girls and grilling. I told her it would be cheaper if you just let him have a mistress, she said that was not an option. I told her to send her husband over and I'd talk with him. 5 minutes later he arrives, he did'nt say much. I invited him in the river, he stood next to me, waist deep and I put my Bamboo flyrod in his hand. He caught a fish, needless to say, he was hooked too.

Upon leaving, he asked, "where do I start". I told him "any flyshop, sign up for a casting class if you think you need to, but just enjoy".

I did make him make a promise to me, to never look like that guy down stream. He said o.k. Before I left I set him up for success with the wife. I told her, "If he ever wants to go to Alaska or Argentina, just let him, remember this was your idea, not his. Besides having a mistress is to much of a headache, cheaper mind you but not worth it. Fly-fishing is a drug, it's up to you to supply him. Do a good job."

I caught two more fish, then left. I never saw the guy downstream catch a thing. I guess he'll be buying a bird-fish dog soon enough.

Enjoy, wet dog BT AR

JJ_BPK
12-16-2009, 18:25

This is actually how I picked up a rod & reel. It was on ebay, he did not have a clue about auctions. He had a nice Sage XP 10wt and Sage 5500 reel with new line & backing.. He had it "buy it now" for a very low price (50%).

I ask why he was selling the setup..

He purchased the rig for his 1st salmon trip to the North West.

He said it rained the day he was to go fishing,, so he didn't get to use it.....

If they act like sheeples,,
They do need sheering...

alright4u
12-17-2009, 01:11
The rods are 7' and four weight.

7 & 8 ' 4 weights make great spring creek rods. They will also make great back pack and dry fy rods for smaller to medium sized streams. Many Colorado fly fisherman seem to have a preference for 7 foot and 8 foot 4 weights.

I was a bit surprised by this, but; It must have to do with the fly fishing within an hour to two of one's home.

JJ_BPK
12-17-2009, 19:29
Last August I was working in Reno, NV for a few weeks. Enjoy, wet dog BT AR

WD fess up,, is this your dog??

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5e8_1261006031

I B Jealous.. :D:D:D

Habu-MFFI 175
12-19-2009, 17:31
Good deal on the fly rods. They are something that will last a life time and plenty of enjoyment.:D

wet dog
12-19-2009, 20:40
WD fess up,, is this your dog??

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5e8_1261006031

I B Jealous.. :D:D:D

Nope, not my dog.

greenberetTFS
12-20-2009, 13:32
Since WD won't own up to that doggie,I just wish he was mine.......:cool: Why would I bother to buy fishing rods,reels,etc when he would do the job for me.......;) Did you see the size of that fish an just how long it took him to catch it! .........:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin