BMT (RIP)
12-10-2009, 06:32
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/police-va-student-s-234607.html

BMT

Warrior-Mentor
12-10-2009, 07:15
http://www.ajc.com/news/nation-world/police-va-student-s-234607.html

BMT

The beard and the weird look in his eye makes one wonder....

Pete
12-10-2009, 07:45
Bolt action.

What can you say.....

A failure at being a failure. Two time No Go at Life's Station.

Utah Bob
12-10-2009, 08:15
Somebody will be pushing for a cooling off period for long gun purchases now.

And last week, Colorado State joined the dumbass parade and banned firearms from campus..:mad:

PedOncoDoc
12-10-2009, 08:31
Why didn't any of the students tackle him and defuse the situation after they saw the weapon? Apparently there was not even one person willing to stand up against an evil act...sad.
:(

nmap
12-10-2009, 09:07
Why didn't any of the students tackle him and defuse the situation after they saw the weapon? Apparently there was not even one person willing to stand up against an evil act...sad.
:(

I asked myself the same question of the Luby's shooting, back in 1991. It wasn't a lack of courage - some people put themselves between loved ones and the killer's bullets.

The answer I came up with (MOO, YMMV) is that people are blind to the possibility of doing anything. They simply do not think of it. They are never exposed to the concept of such a scenario, much less what they might do.

Dozer523
12-10-2009, 09:46
The beard and the weird look in his eye makes one wonder.... Relax. It's finals week.Why didn't any of the students tackle him and defuse the situation after they saw the weapon? Apparently there was not even one person willing to stand up against an evil act...sad.
:( Seriously, no matter how logical it seems to us and now. In most cases it doesn't happen. In this instance, the teacher ducked behind a desk (that was probably on a riser and about 4 feet from a cinder block wall). Might as well stood in the corner and bent over.

I asked myself the same question of the Luby's shooting, back in 1991. It wasn't a lack of courage - some people put themselves between loved ones and the killer's bullets.
The answer I came up with (MOO, YMMV) is that people are blind to the possibility of doing anything. They simply do not think of it. They are never exposed to the concept of such a scenario, much less what they might do. Exactly. Remember back in Boy Scouts? We were trained to BE PREPARED. How to do that? ask yourself obvious questions . . . The FIRST being, In case of an emergency, how do I get out of here?

Geenie
12-10-2009, 09:48
The answer I came up with (MOO, YMMV) is that people are blind to the possibility of doing anything. They simply do not think of it. They are never exposed to the concept of such a scenario, much less what they might do.

Would you then go so far as to say that there is no such thing as an appropriate instinct?

While my personal experiences are minute compared to those of the other members of this board I do recall an event that happened to me in Cape Town, South Africa. I was walking along the street when three young men, one of which was armed with a flathead screwdriver, grabbed me and told me that I was being robbed. While my reaction was anything but smart I was able to fend them off with my limited hand to hand combat abilities and a lot of luck.

What I found interesting afterwards was that my 'decision' to fight them off wasn't a conscious one. In the short time that I had to realize what was happening I was so appalled at the fact that someone was not only trying to take my belongings but was actually threatening my life in the process, that the only thing on my mind was - and this was more of what I would call an instinct or a gut reaction than a thought - "This is wrong. I have to fight this"

Of course being confronted with a gunman is something entirely different and something that I can not speak to. I am merely questioning whether reacting towards and aggressor really requires "thinking about it" or if there is not indeed such a thing as a "warrior spirit" for lack of a better term.

Edited to add: I guess I think that one's reaction to such scenarios has more to do with one's paradigms than with any rational thought process. I'm sure one's upbringing and the culture one lives in contributes greatly to one's reaction under such stressful situations.

now back into my lane...

Utah Bob
12-10-2009, 11:43
Would you then go so far as to say that there is no such thing as an appropriate instinct?

While my personal experiences are minute compared to those of the other members of this board I do recall an event that happened to me in Cape Town, South Africa. I was walking along the street when three young men, one of which was armed with a flathead screwdriver, grabbed me and told me that I was being robbed. While my reaction was anything but smart I was able to fend them off with my limited hand to hand combat abilities and a lot of luck.

What I found interesting afterwards was that my 'decision' to fight them off wasn't a conscious one. In the short time that I had to realize what was happening I was so appalled at the fact that someone was not only trying to take my belongings but was actually threatening my life in the process, that the only thing on my mind was - and this was more of what I would call an instinct or a gut reaction than a thought - "This is wrong. I have to fight this"

Of course being confronted with a gunman is something entirely different and something that I can not speak to. I am merely questioning whether reacting towards and aggressor really requires "thinking about it" or if there is not indeed such a thing as a "warrior spirit" for lack of a better term.

Edited to add: I guess I think that one's reaction to such scenarios has more to do with one's paradigms than with any rational thought process. I'm sure one's upbringing and the culture one lives in contributes greatly to one's reaction under such stressful situations.

now back into my lane...

Warrior Spirit is a rare thing and one that needs to be cultivated and developed. In a population of civilian students and teachers, who are used to behaing generallly like herd animal, it would be highly unlikely that someone would react as a warrior. The instinct would be to run or hide.
Your reaction in fighting was based on the limited skills you say you had. Not necessarily instinct.

FirstClass
12-10-2009, 12:29

now back into my lane...

You also need to consider Evolution. Americans with passive instincts are not being trimmed down, so they flourish and multiply.