PDA

View Full Version : Question for the people that don't like drop holsters:

Alex F
07-21-2004, 15:27
OK, I can see the points that are made about them moving around, how they can make it harder to run, etc.

What is a good substitute for when you're in armor/bulky chest gear?

A "taco" style holster on the chest harness? Or a bianchi issue style on the strong side hip?

Guy
07-21-2004, 16:03
I wear a shooting leather belt in conjunction with my normal pistol rig.

Check out Safariland for holsters.

You may want to re-think how much gear you are carrying.

eggroll
07-21-2004, 16:46
Alex

At the last Dynamic tactics course I took, I ran my MLCS chest rig with an SOE rigger belt through my trousers. Used a CompTac locking paddle holster and worked great for transition drills.

Granted it really depends on HOW encumbered you are and whether positional accessibility comes into play.

mffjm8509
07-21-2004, 17:02
Originally posted by Alex F
OK, I can see the points that are made about them moving around, how they can make it harder to run, etc.

The safariland thigh rigs have a panel that surrounds the outer thigh preventing it from slipping like many other models of drop holsters. I attach this to an Aker international reinforced belt designed for concealed carry and have very little problems with discomfort.

I do like a hip holster in many situations, but anymore it seems I'll always in body armor, which makes it difficult to draw.

mp

Red Devil
08-01-2004, 06:13
I am not a great lover of drop holsters, ok they are good if you are standing and walking about or that kind of thing, but my job is traveling in vehicles where i find them to be very impractical.
I can't draw my pistol without some kind of struggle especially when wearing body armour (sorry, armor, i'm a Brit). I therefore use a holster that is mounted on the front of my armour. It is then there, where i need it most.

Red Devil

swatsurgeon
08-01-2004, 09:25
if the drop holster is too low, i.e., cowboy style, it tends to shift all over the place. The taper of the thigh is just like an icecream cone and as you move down the taper gets more. Try keeping it as high on the thigh as possible so that the draw just clears the bottom of the vest. In our tactical; medical roles you run hard with packs/holster/etc on both thighs and it doesn't slow me at all. The other reason to keep the holster higher is the angle of draw. I've kneeled over a patient and had to draw, both when I had the holster too low and when it is as high as I can get it and the high position makes it easy, the low position made it nearly impossible to bring the gun to target as quickly or with efficiency of movement.
I think I'm preaching to the QP choir but I have noted alot of personnel wearing the holster way low........
just my 2 cents as a civilian operator.

NousDefionsDoc
08-01-2004, 09:59
The taper of the thigh is just like an icecream cone

?

I haven't tried it yet, but if your having trouble with it moving around, might try the HSGI one. It looks like it would be very stable.

Rotor Strike
08-01-2004, 10:06
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
?

I haven't tried it yet, but if your having trouble with it moving around, might try the HSGI one. It looks like it would be very stable.

I am using the HSGI holster right now. Doesn't move as much as some. But, it's far from immobile on your leg. The pefect solution just hasn't been found yet.

Footmobile
08-01-2004, 10:26
I think the best solution is to just have a good drop holster and gunbelt set up from Safariland, SOE, HSGI etc...and have one of those modular holsters that TT makes on standby in case you need mount in on your vest or armor.

Psywar1-0
08-06-2004, 18:28
I will echo what Swat Surgon said. I keep my chest rig up high, and am able to shorten the drop on my pistol holster.

I balance everything out with a HSGI drop leg pannel with a paraclete Med GP pouch on the left full of trauma gear. I just finished the Pat Rodgers "Carbine Operator's course(his title not mine) and had no problems at all with transitions ect.

Polypro
08-07-2004, 04:03
Even the HSGI drop holster moves around while seated in a vehicle. If your in a right seat, it's impossible to get to. This is a STRIKE canteen pouch on the right side of an HSGI Wasatch...worked well.

Alex F
08-12-2004, 12:13
Poly:

What held the handgun stable? Is there a cinchcord inside the canteen pouch to hold?

Polypro
08-12-2004, 13:24
The lip of the compartment has a bunge in it. Very secure. Obviously having a weapon specific holster is best, but sometimes you gotta wing it:D

P

Alex F
08-13-2004, 05:30
I've seen people using single M4 mag pouches and the bungie to hold their weapon in, I imagine the canteen pouch is better because it has the protective flap.

Certainly cheaper than a real holster....

eggroll
08-13-2004, 07:46
by this point, it may be an option to pick up one of Genes Modular holsters with the Vertical aligned PALS webbing in stead of the nominal horizontal draw webbing.

EGG