PDA

View Full Version : TSA SOP

BMT (RIP)
12-08-2009, 19:16
http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Blotter/ht_tsa_screening_2_091208.pdf

BMT

Ambush Master
12-08-2009, 20:12
From our Company "News/Info Letter" today!!

From ABC News

Massive TSA Security Breach As Agency Gives Away Its Secrets

In a massive security breach, the Transportation Security Agency (TSA) inadvertently posted online its entire airport screening procedures manual, including some of the most closely guarded secrets regarding special rules for diplomats and CIA and law enforcement officers. The most sensitive parts of the 93-page Standard Operation Procedures were apparently redacted in a way that computer savvy individuals easily overcame. "This is an appalling and astounding breach of security that terrorists could easily exploit," said Clark Kent Ervin, the former inspector general at the Department of Homeland Security. "The TSA should immediately convene an internal investigation and discipline those responsible."

nmap
12-08-2009, 20:47
I haven't flown in years. A quick perusal of the manual tells me I won't care to do so anytime soon.

Although I suppose I could annoy them by producing a printed copy of their manual and reading it as I went through screening....:D

Triman19
12-08-2009, 20:52
So what is the next step? If the cat is out of the bag..what happens next?

Team Sergeant
12-09-2009, 07:07

Everyone goes on the "List". :rolleyes:

Warrior-Mentor
12-09-2009, 07:13
This is the government transparency we were promised by the Great Deceiver, er, I mean "the One."

How's that CHANGE workin' out for ya? :bong:

http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs17/f/2007/149/4/0/Bong_emoticon_by_kompound_kid.gif

Team Sergeant
12-09-2009, 07:25
I guess this was bound to happen..... the TSA has no leadership, well, unless you think a female college grad with zero federal law enforcement skills or training is considered a "leader".

No wonder the FBI continues to shoot and kill each other when they have to draw their weapons, this "gifted" individual was also on the board at the FLETC. Again, no law enforcement experience or training and she's teaching others to be law enforcement officers......brilliant!!!

(Want to bet it's a female in charge of firearms training at FLETC?)

Let's just put another no experience female in charge of say, homeland security? Oh shit we did.

And now a no experience jr senator runs the country.

We have become a nation of complete idiots.

Team Sergeant

Gale D. Rossides
Acting Administrator

As Acting Administrator, Gale Rossides oversees the management of the 50,000-strong workforce and the security operations of 450 federalized airports throughout the U.S., including the widely-acclaimed Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS), and the security regime for highways, railroads, ports and mass transit systems. Rossides represents the face of TSA to many stakeholders and partners throughout the world.

Rossides was one of the six original federal executives hand-picked in 2002 to build TSA – the largest public mobilization since World War II. From December 2002 through September 2004, she served as TSA's Associate Administrator/Chief Support Systems Officer. In 2004, Rossides was tapped to serve as a senior advisor to the Deputy Secretary and Under Secretary for Management for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

In 2005, Rossides returned to TSA. Her proven leadership skills in organizational development, business process improvement and security operations provided key expertise in transforming TSA into the more flexible and dynamic agency that it is today.

Rossides' accomplishments include re-engineering a multi-layered security strategy; increasing comprehensive intelligence-sharing; developing network-centric, collaborative partnerships with stakeholders; establishment of Transportation Sector Network Management (TSNM); creation of TSA's Senior Leadership Team (SLT); and the inclusion of core competencies in critical incident management, acquisition and program management.

Rossides also launched leadership development programs as a proactive agency maturity strategy. She created innovative workforce programs to encourage communication, collaboration and conflict management to facilitate the development of an inclusive environment across a multi-generational, diverse and engaged workforce.

Prior to joining TSA, Rossides was appointed as the co-chair of a Blue Ribbon panel to overhaul the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms in the aftermath of the Waco event. She served at ATF for 8 years as the director of all law enforcement, regulatory and leadership training; she also served for 6 years as a member of Federal Law Enforcement Training Center's (FLETC) Board of Directors for state and local law enforcement training.
Gale Rossides earned her bachelor's degree from Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts and is a graduate of George Washington University's Masters in Public Administration for Federal Executives program.

Ret10Echo
12-09-2009, 07:35
..... the TSA has no leadership,

As you outlined this goes way beyond "just" TSA. There is an overall lack of competency, focus and mission understanding within DHS. This is a systemic and structural problem. DHS is as dysfunctional as Congress designed it. Span of control limits were violated, there is no central authority.

I could go on....

In response to a fatally flawed design, politicians choose to simply drive another nail into the collapsing structure.

greenberetTFS
12-09-2009, 07:39
I guess this was bound to happen..... the TSA has no leadership, well, unless you think a female college grad with zero federal law enforcement skills or training is considered a "leader".

No wonder the FBI continues to shoot and kill each other when they have to draw their weapons, this "gifted" individual was also on the board at the FLETC. Again, no law enforcement experience or training and she's teaching others to be law enforcement officers......brilliant!!!

Let's just put another no experience female in charge of say, homeland security? Oh shit we did.

And now a no experience jr senator runs the country.

We have become a nation of complete idiots.

Team Sergeant

Gale D. Rossides
Acting Administrator

As Acting Administrator, Gale Rossides oversees the management of the 50,000-strong workforce and the security operations of 450 federalized airports throughout the U.S., including the widely-acclaimed Federal Air Marshal Service (FAMS), and the security regime for highways, railroads, ports and mass transit systems. Rossides represents the face of TSA to many stakeholders and partners throughout the world.

Rossides was one of the six original federal executives hand-picked in 2002 to build TSA – the largest public mobilization since World War II. From December 2002 through September 2004, she served as TSA's Associate Administrator/Chief Support Systems Officer. In 2004, Rossides was tapped to serve as a senior advisor to the Deputy Secretary and Under Secretary for Management for the Department of Homeland Security (DHS).

In 2005, Rossides returned to TSA. Her proven leadership skills in organizational development, business process improvement and security operations provided key expertise in transforming TSA into the more flexible and dynamic agency that it is today.

Rossides' accomplishments include re-engineering a multi-layered security strategy; increasing comprehensive intelligence-sharing; developing network-centric, collaborative partnerships with stakeholders; establishment of Transportation Sector Network Management (TSNM); creation of TSA's Senior Leadership Team (SLT); and the inclusion of core competencies in critical incident management, acquisition and program management.

Rossides also launched leadership development programs as a proactive agency maturity strategy. She created innovative workforce programs to encourage communication, collaboration and conflict management to facilitate the development of an inclusive environment across a multi-generational, diverse and engaged workforce.

Prior to joining TSA, Rossides was appointed as the co-chair of a Blue Ribbon panel to overhaul the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms in the aftermath of the Waco event. She served at ATF for 8 years as the director of all law enforcement, regulatory and leadership training; she also served for 6 years as a member of Federal Law Enforcement Training Center's (FLETC) Board of Directors for state and local law enforcement training.
Gale Rossides earned her bachelor's degree from Wheaton College in Norton, Massachusetts and is a graduate of George Washington University's Masters in Public Administration for Federal Executives program.

After reading this it just makes my head hurt....... :rolleyes: This administration is so FU it isn't even funny anymore....... :p What's next? ............. :eek:

Big Teddy :munchin

JAGO
12-09-2009, 10:41
TSA inadvertently got it's screening manual out on the internet. ABC news has the story.

It's 93 pages long - but click into the link. Work up and down the pages. Damn!

Several samples of IDs.

v/r
phil

http://a.abcnews.go.com/images/Blotter/ht_tsa_screening_2_091208.pdf#page=58

Ret10Echo
12-09-2009, 11:53
TSA puts 5 employees on leave over online posting
By EILEEN SULLIVAN, Associated Press Writer Eileen Sullivan, Associated Press Writer
12 mins ago

WASHINGTON – Five Transportation Security Administration employees have been placed on administrative leave since it was discovered that sensitive guidelines about airport passenger screening were posted on the Internet.

The move was disclosed as senators questioned administration officials Wednesday about the second embarrassing security flap at the Homeland Security Department in as many weeks. The Secret Service, also part of the sprawling department, is investigating how a couple of would-be reality TV stars were able to get into a White House state dinner without an invitation.

Assistant Homeland Security secretary David Heyman told senators Wednesday that a full investigation into the Internet security lapse is under way and the TSA employees have been taken off duty pending the results of that probe. He did not say how many employees were put on leave. A TSA official who spoke on condition of anonymity because of the ongoing investigation said five employees were placed on administrative leave Tuesday.

The Homeland Security Department has also stopped posting documents with security information either in full or in part on the Internet until the TSA review is complete, Heyman told the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs committee.

The passenger screening document was improperly on the Internet in a way that could offer insight into how to sidestep security.

"Even what appeared to be an innocent posting to help federal contractors can have serious consequences for our security," Sen. Susan Collins, R-Maine, said Wednesday.

Heyman said he did not know who at TSA signed off on the document going on the Web.

The TSA removed the document from the Internet on Sunday after the lapse was reported on a blog.

Full story link here (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091209/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/us_airport_security/print)

JAGO
12-09-2009, 14:10
Congress is mad because both the ID card carried by US Senators and also those carried by members of congress are shown in the leaked manual (Page 60 in the above link). Why we can't have that! If people are able to copy them, the imposters might be able to cut in on congress' graft.

Team Sergeant
12-09-2009, 17:52
I'm still wondering "why" the CIA feels a need to identify itself to a TSA agent ???????

Or the need for showing "Creds" CONUS ?????

Armed CIA agents on US soil???? Only in the movies I think.

So why the need for CIA Creds flying CONUS?

Utah Bob
12-09-2009, 18:35
I'm still wondering "why" the CIA feels a need to identify itself to a TSA agent ???????

That's exactly what I was wondering.

The Bourne Identification...coming soon to an airport near you. :rolleyes:

Utah Bob
12-09-2009, 18:37

They have already gone to a secret handshake in lieu if ID cards. Everything is under control.

dadof18x'er
12-09-2009, 18:49
They have already gone to a secret handshake in lieu if ID cards. Everything is under control.

this whole thing is spooky to me, how vulnerable are these flights right now?

inside job? nothing surprises me any more, a good ole crisis would unify the country. :eek:

JAGO
12-10-2009, 05:41

Team Sergeant:

In answer to your question, post 9/11 I recall legislation to give CIA GS-1811 (criminal investigator) status for the protective details surrounding director CIA, NSA, DIA, etc w/ arrest authority. The thought was that the various directors present a target and their details need to be able to have the authority to act should something happen. The need was clear and post 9/11 USMS and USSS were drawn very thin.

As far as exercising law enforcement authority in CONUS, Dept of the Army, DoD, US Mint, etc., all have statutory authority to run their own police forces. In fact, the officer that took down the Major out at Ft Hood was a DA police officer. The authority is on the federal books and CIA has a police division that protects their multiple CONUS facilities. Over time I've met perhaps a couple hundred of the CIA police officers and they are quite good. Probably due to the pre-employment screening they get.

One last point, anyone who works for the USG and has gone thru the OPM background invest process knows the limitations. Especially if they went thru one in the old days with Army MI sniffing everybody's underwear and can compare the two. Because a "one size fits all" program w/ OPM in the lead just wouldn't work, a limited number of federal agencies retain their ability to conduct their own suitability determinations and need investigators for that purpose.

v/r
phil

Ret10Echo
12-10-2009, 08:35
FLEOA to TSA: 'Don't shoot the messenger' in manual kerfuffle

Interview with the President of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association Jon Adler.

Five Transportation Security Administration employees have been placed on leave after documents containing security information were found posted on the Internet. Jon Adler is the National President of the Federal Law Enforcement Officers Association. Adler's group is asking Congress to hold a closed-door hearing on the breach to determine what happened.
Tags: Management, FLEOA, Jonathan Adler, TSA

http://www.federalnewsradio.com/?nid=15&sid=1836166

Team Sergeant
12-10-2009, 10:55
Team Sergeant:

In answer to your question, post 9/11 I recall legislation to give CIA GS-1811 (criminal investigator) status for the protective details surrounding director CIA, NSA, DIA, etc w/ arrest authority. The thought was that the various directors present a target and their details need to be able to have the authority to act should something happen. The need was clear and post 9/11 USMS and USSS were drawn very thin.

As far as exercising law enforcement authority in CONUS, Dept of the Army, DoD, US Mint, etc., all have statutory authority to run their own police forces. In fact, the officer that took down the Major out at Ft Hood was a DA police officer. The authority is on the federal books and CIA has a police division that protects their multiple CONUS facilities. Over time I've met perhaps a couple hundred of the CIA police officers and they are quite good. Probably due to the pre-employment screening they get.

One last point, anyone who works for the USG and has gone thru the OPM background invest process knows the limitations. Especially if they went thru one in the old days with Army MI sniffing everybody's underwear and can compare the two. Because a "one size fits all" program w/ OPM in the lead just wouldn't work, a limited number of federal agencies retain their ability to conduct their own suitability determinations and need investigators for that purpose.

v/r
phil

I understand the need for federal police forces, the need for "Creds" and protective details for the chiefs. The "only" one I would question is the CIA's. In my opinion, if, the TSA has the CIA's "Cred's" posted in their TSA manual it could be assumed that the CIA's agents are traveling often and "armed" in CONUS.

Knowing how well the FBI has faired in recent shootings I'd hate to see a "CIA" agent pull a gun on an airplace........(or even have one for that matter, this does not include a protective detail.)

TS

AngelsSix
12-10-2009, 21:37

HEY!! Now that's not fair TS!! You ought to know better....there are some FEMALE firearms instructors that take out jobs SERIOUSLY!! You should know, you taught at least ONE of them!! :D

Triman19
12-14-2009, 02:11
Everyone goes on the "List". :rolleyes:

TS, are you referring to the Blue, Green "lists" conspiracy? In reference to the government lists?

one-zero
12-15-2009, 15:11
CIA creds in the TSA manual have nothing to do with being armed. Plenty of agencies have non-armed folks w/creds. You could probably come up with quite a few at every level (local to fed), heck the county medical examiner here has creds...but doesn't carry, same for FBI analysts and other support types. no biggie.
The biggie here is that the TSA and DHS for that matter are nothing more than jackass reactions to 911 and make us more vulnerable at the end of the day - starting w/mindest. I didn't have much of a problem w/the Patriot act when implemented for it's intended use (catch foreigners hiding/using US AO). But the current admin seems to like it for different reasons...

As with many things we could accomplish what we need by better using the assets, units, agencies, etc on hand vice these bloated agencies...

Team Sergeant
12-15-2009, 16:59
CIA creds in the TSA manual have nothing to do with being armed. Plenty of agencies have non-armed folks w/creds. You could probably come up with quite a few at every level (local to fed), heck the county medical examiner here has creds...but doesn't carry, same for FBI analysts and other support types. no biggie.
The biggie here is that the TSA and DHS for that matter are nothing more than jackass reactions to 911 and make us more vulnerable at the end of the day - starting w/mindest. I didn't have much of a problem w/the Patriot act when implemented for it's intended use (catch foreigners hiding/using US AO). But the current admin seems to like it for different reasons...

As with many things we could accomplish what we need by better using the assets, units, agencies, etc on hand vice these bloated agencies...

My point exactly, iffin you ain't armed there's no reason to be showing them "creds".;)

The Reaper
12-15-2009, 18:00
My point exactly, iffin you ain't armed there's no reason to be showing them "creds".;)

Unless you are a courier.

TR

Ret10Echo
12-15-2009, 18:29
The biggie here is that the TSA and DHS for that matter are nothing more than jackass reactions to 911 and make us more vulnerable at the end of the day - But the current admin seems to like it for different reasons...

Apologize for the hijack....

There was yet another Senate hearing today to discuss DHS and the (lack of) managment within the organization (link here (http://hsgac.senate.gov/public/index.cfm?FuseAction=Hearings.Hearing&Hearing_id=270f2875-6495-48d1-a2da-d2e85975d935)). Duplicative processes is an understatement. Unlike a corporate merger, each of the 22 Agencies that were slung together maintained its internal bureacracy. How do you expect to get anything done when there are no clear lines of authority?

By the way...GAO keeps making the call...(DHS remains on the high risk list seen here (http://gao.gov/highrisk/)) and Congress keeps asking questions, but DHS is what congress made it. So why are these out-of-touch polito-loons surprised?

I think the congress critters love the situation because it provides them with a great deal of leverage and the ability to reach down into DHS and pull out whatever rabbit they are looking for. Pet projects reign supreme. Millions dumped into meaningless projects and little to no real ovesight until after the money is spent....

Pretty convenient if you think about it. DOD was getting wise to these antics. DHS lacks the sophistication and has sufficient infighting to allow huge fraud, waste and abuse to take place. But if any protest is made then you are obviously un-American since you do not care for the "security" of the nation.

Does this explain all of the points where organizations like TSA are found to be so very lacking? No, it does not. But why in the world do you create this "thing" that you really want to be some sort of national-level police force but fail so miserably to make IT into something functional? (isn't that what it kinda-sorta ought to be?).

Just my wooden nickle...(adjusted for inflation)

Team Sergeant
12-15-2009, 19:52
Unless you are a courier.

TR

Boss,

I've carried classified (TS) material all over the world, and to Washington DC, many times, ain't no one going to ask to see those "papers" in your brief case. Not CONUS anyway.
Carrying other stuff, maybe....;)

TS

dr. mabuse
12-17-2009, 22:25
Was a little surprised with how the CIA creds look. Looks like something someone would sell at the gun shows along with a Hawaii Five-0 badge.:munchin