PDA

View Full Version : My new (color) Kimber

Smokin Joe
07-20-2004, 22:54
So the wife is out of town this week.....Yaaahhooooo....I mean damn I miss her. LOL

We'll I got bored and decided to do some painting. :D

Smokin Joe
07-20-2004, 22:59
Otherside

Huey14
07-20-2004, 23:20
Looking good!

Brother Rat
07-21-2004, 05:57
What kind of paint did you use?

Smokin Joe
07-21-2004, 07:44
Krylon camo-OD green. Found at Ace hardware for 4 bucks a can.

NousDefionsDoc
07-21-2004, 08:31
I like it.

BadMuther
07-21-2004, 10:12
Never heard of anyone painting a pistol.....you worried about the paint causing reliability problems?

Joe, you told me you painted it hot pink.....:p

Smokin Joe
07-21-2004, 11:29
Originally posted by BadMuther
Never heard of anyone painting a pistol.....you worried about the paint causing reliability problems?

Joe, you told me you painted it hot pink.....:p

Nope,

I fully disassembled it, taped it, and only painted the exterior of the weapon. The areas pointed out below are not shadows but the original color that was never painted over.

Basically all areas with working parts have zero paint on them.

P.S. I thought the hot pink clashed to much with the basket weave holster.:)

BadMuther
07-21-2004, 11:40
Copy....gun looks good.

Maybe when your department lets you wear your skirt to work you can try repainting it...:D

NousDefionsDoc
07-21-2004, 12:14
How do you like the Kimber Joe?

Smokin Joe
07-21-2004, 12:35
Originally posted by NousDefionsDoc
How do you like the Kimber Joe?

I LOVE IT

2500 + rounds through it and it not a hang up or malfunction.

Barrel and bushing lock up are still as tight as when I bought it.

I highly recommed it. Except get one with a light rail. I would have but I got mine 2 months before Kimber released the TLE/ RL II and yes I'm still bitter about it.:)

NousDefionsDoc
07-21-2004, 12:38
Originally posted by Smokin Joe
I LOVE IT

2500 + rounds through it and it not a hang up or malfunction.

Barrel and bushing lock up are still as tight as when I bought it.

I highly recommed it. Except get one with a light rail. I would have but I got mine 2 months before Kimber released the TLE/ RL II and yes I'm still bitter about it.:)

So its better than the HK?:munchin

Smokin Joe
07-21-2004, 17:07
So its better than the HK?:munchin

I maybe dumb but I'm not stupid.

You must think I'm crazy to talk shit about The Team Sergeants Pistol

I have found MY Kimber to be more reliable and pack a bigger punch than my 9mm H&K P7M8. I do not own any other H&K so I could not and would not comment on which is better.

Additionally I perfer a single action type of trigger. :cool:

Team Sergeant
07-21-2004, 17:16
Glad to see you didn't fall for it Joe!

I also like a single action trigger, AND a double action trigger if I feel so inclined. That's why I shoot a HK USP .45.

TS

BadMuther
07-21-2004, 21:17
TS,

Any problems with that H&K? The folks I know that have them seem to have a lot of malfunctions with them.

Jgood
07-21-2004, 22:06
I have the full size USP 45 Hk and have fired about 1k rounds of all diffents brands of ammo and have never had a problem. probly one of the best pistols i have ever fired.

Team Sergeant
07-21-2004, 22:17
TS,

Any problems with that H&K? The folks I know that have them seem to have a lot of malfunctions with them.

Nope, I've got 5 of them and have yet to have a malfunction.

TS

BadMuther
07-21-2004, 22:21
Damn! Sounds like you like them as much as I like glocks!

The guys with the Malf. H&K's were Squeals...maybe they teach them a different kind of maintenance....;)

Team Sergeant
07-21-2004, 22:30
I cut my teeth on 1911's. Owned about 5 of them also. Spent untold money keeping them running. That's over. The 1911 was state of the art, in the year 1911. I'll never buy another.

Time to embrace new tech. As a red blooded American I'm sad we cannot make a "new" high tech handgun. Changing the name of a 1911 over and over and over just doesn't cut it anymore, at least not to me. Time to move on to a piece that's way ahead of "single" action, and designed for "right" handed shooters only.

I don't get paid by HK. As you can see there are no HK ad's on this site. Yeah, I like them.

TS

BadMuther
07-21-2004, 22:37
I'm very partial to glocks....not a lot of parts to break, and reliable as hell...no need for any bells or whistles.

I also enjoy the same, consistent, light trigger pull every time!

I'll occasionally pull my POS Beretta 92 out and invariably I shoot like shit with that thing until the 3rd mag....

Love my glock 19! :D

Smokin Joe
07-21-2004, 23:09
Love my glock 19! :D

I'm sure it fits your Purse....I mean MAN BAG very well.

TS,

Can the H&K USP series be carried "safely" in a cocked and locked fashion or does the hammer have to be down against the firing pin (Like a Sig)?

Team Sergeant
07-22-2004, 07:21
Carried as safely as the 1911. HK also has a thumb safety that can be engaged and disengaged in the “cocked and locked” configuration.

Alex F
07-22-2004, 11:33
The only thing I didn't like about my USP was the size of the thing. If they could slim it down a notch it'd be perfect.

Mine functioned 100% in the 2000 rounds I put through it, everything from 20 dollar a box hollow points to cheap russian 230 grain.

I have a USP tactical coming in august...

NousDefionsDoc
07-22-2004, 16:06
Hey Joe, you need to trade up brah:

The Kimber Warrior. Projected availability this fall. MSRP should be around $1100.

* Series I - w/ Rail GI length guide rod and Plug

* Internal extractor

* Lanyard loop

* New Kimber Bumped grip safety. Will look like an Ed Brown.

* Gunner grip or similar type G-10 material grip. Will be Coyote Brown.

* New Kimber Wedge Night sight. Will look like a Novak low profile.

* Ambi safety

* Kimpro

* 7rd. mag w/ pad

I'm going to start saving now for this, a SMATCHET and a lapel dagger. What's Kimpro?

Team Sergeant
07-22-2004, 16:14
Joe, before you shell out untold sums of money for another 1911 with a different name, I'll take you shooting. Save your money for a USP. Trust me.

TS

NousDefionsDoc
07-22-2004, 16:19
LOL - Joe, buy the New Kimber and come down here and I'll take you to shoot somebody! . We can find a drug lord real easy. We'll just get in the car and ride around like that Pelton guy. I know the roads real good.

Then we'll go to Sofia's crib for the AAR.:lifter

PS - The AAR at Sofias will cost you leaving the Kimber and a gross of ammo.

Team Sergeant
07-22-2004, 16:29
Joe,

Don't listen to NDD. He's been under too long if you know what I mean.

Joe, look at this picture. It's a 1911, and a pistol used in WWI, is that what you want Joe, a pistol design older then your grandfather?

NousDefionsDoc
07-22-2004, 16:35
Questions?

Team Sergeant
07-22-2004, 16:36
THATS' NOT FAIR!!!!!!!!!!

NousDefionsDoc
07-22-2004, 16:38
HaHa - All's fair in UW.:lifter

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 17:42
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Joe,

Don't listen to NDD. He's been under too long if you know what I mean.

Joe, look at this picture. It's a 1911, and a pistol used in WWI, is that what you want Joe, a pistol design older then your grandfather?

Actually, it is what I would choose.

The M-2 .50 BMG design is also over 80 years old, is it also undesirable for tactical use?

H&K? Isn't that a French company?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-22-2004, 17:49
Originally posted by The Reaper
Actually, it is what I would choose.

Why, if I may ask?

NousDefionsDoc
07-22-2004, 17:51
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
Why, if I may ask?

DAMN! Did you NOT see the picture I posted?

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 17:54
Why, if I may ask?

Because I like it, mine work fine, and I hit what I am aiming at with it.

I ask you, why not?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-22-2004, 17:58
DAMN! Did you NOT see the picture I posted?

I live in Southern California, Command Sergeant Major. Dime a dozen around here. :lifter

Smokin Joe
07-22-2004, 18:00
Can I pick Option "C" (all of the above)? :D

Go shooting with the Team Sergeant, buy an H&K USP.

Then take my old Kimber down south to shoot a drug lord, leave it with NDD, get really shit faced and drool all over the lady in that pic.

07-22-2004, 18:02
H&K? Isn't that a French company?

TR

OUCH. I'd never own a French gun. HK's feel better in my hand than a 1911, although TFKilo and I have been half looking at some.

Just out of curiosity, why type of 1911 would you recommend if we did get some. I've heard alot of work needs to be done on them right off.:munchin

Smokin Joe
07-22-2004, 18:05
Originally posted by 24601
OUCH. I'd never own a French gun. HK's feel better in my hand than a 1911, although TFKilo and I have been half looking at some.

Just out of curiosity, why type of 1911 would you recommend if we did get some. I've heard alot of work needs to be done on them right off.:munchin

That depends on what you buy.

All I did to mine was put an ambi safety on it and it was G2G.

Others.....well you could break the bank trying to get them to run propperly.

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 18:06
I have had excellent luck with Kimbers and ParaOrdnance, some success with Springfields, and little success with Colt's running right out of the box.

Since the Paras hold more ammo, I like them best, though people with small hands may have trouble with their grip size.

TR

07-22-2004, 18:11
I have had excellent luck with Kimbers and ParaOrdnance, some success with Springfields, and little success with Colt's running right out of the box.

Since the Paras hold more ammo, I like them best, though people with small hands may have trouble with their grip size.

TR

I have man hands, I swear. One guy told me to carry the ultra compact Glock, since it's more of a ladies gun, in 9mm. I could get two fingers around it, and I only carry .45. I have no problems with a larger grip, and prefer it. We saw a pair of Para's for a decient price, and a cop shop here loves Kimbers.

How are the trigers on Para's? That's what I have heard the biggest issue is.

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 18:26
I hate to say it, but all triggers suck now, due to lawsuits.

I have an extensive list of mods I do to my pistols to make them more comfortable and efficient, but they are not required to make the pistols run.

I always burn a few hundred rounds through them for function testing before I have them tuned anyway.

I must say that I have all SA Paras, I only recently tried an LDA. If I were starting over again, I could probably get used to it.

It takes a minimum of 10,000 repetitions to build muscle memory, and 50,000 to unlearn/learn a new one.

I have been packing 1911s for over 30 years. When I hear a sound in the night, or I feel like I need to have a weapon in my hand, I don't have to remember whether I am single action, double action, safe action, whether I have a safety, a decocker, a hammer drop lever under my thumb, whether the trigger will be a long smooth double action pull, a gritty nasty double for the first, and single for the remainder of the rounds, where the mag release is, whether the sights will be plain, Patridge, bar, dot, three dot, etc.

All of my 1911 pistols, from concealed to match, use the same controls, safety, trigger, sights, mag release, slide release, and the same IAD for a stoppage or failure.

In short, like my M-4 carbines and M-1 Benelli shotguns, they work for me and I have to change nothing.

Pick what works for you, and stick with it. Don't be a member of the "Gun of the Week Club".

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-22-2004, 18:29
Because I like it, mine work fine, and I hit what I am aiming at with it.

I ask you, why not?

TR

I have never fired a Kimber or a ParaOrdnance, so I don't know. Do they have a decocker? Can you switch the slide release to either side of the weapon? Is there an ambidextrous magazine release? What is the frame made from?

07-22-2004, 18:39
That is a VERY nice collection. I just (5 minutes ago) got my HK back in my hands after being gone for a few months. I know I'll never get rid of it, it was a wedding present. I think I'll just do some mods to it for now, and file away your advice for the future. I know I'll be getting more pistols, and am looking at all different types.

Thank you very much. You've helped me a lot. :)

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 18:54
I have never fired a Kimber or a ParaOrdnance, so I don't know.

Do they have a decocker?

Why would you need that when you have a safety, and a trigger? The 1911 is designed to be carried tactically in Condition One, cocked and locked. I lower the hammer by pulling the trigger. I safe the weapon by engaging the thumb safety. Simplicity itself.

Can you switch the slide release to either side of the weapon?

Don't know, never needed one on the other side. They have made left handed mirror image copies, some so detailed that the rifling twist was reversed.

Is there an ambidextrous magazine release?

Yes, but most 1911 southpaws just use their index finger instead.

What is the frame made from?

Well, let's see, there is carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminum, carbon fiber, plastic, what else would you need to make one from? Wood? Rubber? Gold?

I already said to go with what works for you. If searching for a piece, don't badmouth a weapon that you have not tried. I have shot the H&K, but don't need another pistol to master, at this time. Mine work fine.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-22-2004, 19:03
I already said to go with what works for you. If searching for a piece, don't badmouth a weapon that you have not tried. I have shot the H&K, but don't need another pistol to master, at this time. Mine work fine.

Hey now, I was typing my message when you posted yours with the photo. I'm not bad-mouthing anything. I asked about your preferences so I could learn from you, that's all. Perhaps I should not have attempted to answer the question you put to me.

I'm going to the kitchen forum where I belong. LOL

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 19:06
Hey now, I was typing my message when you posted yours with the photo. I'm not bad-mouthing anything. I asked about your preferences so I could learn from you, that's all. Perhaps I should not have attempted to answer the question you put to me.

Yeah, yeah, now go get some sleep and clear your head, before you step in any further and I charge you for all of my "lawyer trigger" repair bills.

TR

07-22-2004, 19:21
Sorry if this is stupid, but can 1911's be modified to have rails for a taclight? I'll be quiet after this, you have the most experience with them that I know. I thought I'd seen one with rails, but I can't remember. Thank you for putting up with my 21 questions. :)

Sacamuelas
07-22-2004, 19:23
24601... YES.

TR-
I am impressed. Can you gold plate that thing? ;) :p

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 20:24
Originally posted by 24601
Sorry if this is stupid, but can 1911's be modified to have rails for a taclight? I'll be quiet after this, you have the most experience with them that I know. I thought I'd seen one with rails, but I can't remember. Thank you for putting up with my 21 questions. :)

Funny you ask.

I have a Para at the shop right now having the Caspian Recon Rail put on it to mount my Surefire X200A tac light.

Some of the Springfields, a few of the custom Kimbers, Caspian, the SIG GSR, and I think STI make 1911s with light rails. I am sure that I left some off.

TR

The Reaper
07-22-2004, 20:27
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
24601... YES.

TR-

No.

The 10mm upper on it is NP3ed, which is probably more expensive than gold plating. If you had one like it, you could probably put some Pearl grips on it for when you go into town, though, Pimp Daddy Saca.

Hey, do you do gold teeth or diamond inlays?

I think someone here likes the look.

TR

Guy
07-22-2004, 20:38
Hey, do you do gold teeth or diamond inlays?

I think someone here likes the look.

TR

I've seen people with that stuff in thier mouth and didn't have a "Pot to piss in or a window to throw it out"! :confused:

Smokin Joe
07-22-2004, 22:56

Wow, sounds like someone needs a nap.

Smokin Joe
07-22-2004, 23:04
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
24601... YES.

TR-

Saca's new home page.

http://www.mrbling.com/

NousDefionsDoc
07-23-2004, 07:01
I hear Dawson makes a good add on rail as well.

The Reaper
07-23-2004, 07:36
I hear Dawson makes a good add on rail as well.

They do, but theirs seems to hang down further, and is $119 vs. $35 for the Caspian.

TR

Team Sergeant
07-23-2004, 08:10

I rest my case.

Out of the box side by side for 10,000 rounds I'd place my money on the HK. Every 1911 I've ever owned has had to go to the SHOP!

German made, but the best in the world IMO.

BTW, isn't the M2HB about to be replaced?

TS

The Reaper
07-23-2004, 08:35
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
I rest my case.

Out of the box side by side for 10,000 rounds I'd place my money on the HK. Every 1911 I've ever owned has had to go to the SHOP!

German made, but the best in the world IMO.

BTW, isn't the M2HB about to be replaced?

TS

TS:

Mine didn't HAVE to go to the shop, they ran fine, but I wanted ambi safeties, night sights, a trigger job, checkering on the front strap, etc. I could have avoided that by buying a custom to start with, with all of the bells and whistles, but I could not afford it all in one check. I spread it out over several periods, and shot it in the the interim.

I suspect that for the price of an H&K Tactical, with a half dozen mags, I could have bought a 1911 tricked out from the start.

Note that I am not slamming the H&K, just saying that I am happy with my choice, as you are with yours. The 1911 remains a valid consideration for a defensive pistol, despite its age, and its detractors. Just because your 1911s left you dissatisfied does not mean that they are all defective or unsuitable for use in that role.

I suspect that John Moses Browning would have improved the 1911 and made a few more changes to his masterpiece had he lived another 70 years. I doubt that the end result would have been the H&K design.

I have seen nothing on the M-2 HB being replaced, other than a partial swap for Mk 19s to ensure a mix of both systems. Reports from the Box indicate that the M-2 is one of the most reliable weapons in theater, and most feared by the bad guys.

Just my .02, as stated, YMMV.

TR

Sacamuelas
07-23-2004, 09:39
For those who are considering painting their own personally owned bullet launcher... there are more specialized products out there that 'should be' much more resistant to the gun solvents,etc that we use to clean them.

Note, I have never painted a firearm myself. I do not know -personally-if these products are more resistant first hand than simple krylon paint. My personal guess... Hell yes.

Maybe Mr. Harsey could help as he deals with metallic finishes all the time.

just an example.. CLICK ME FOR GUN FINISH PRODUCT (http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1150)

Smokin Joe
07-23-2004, 10:52
Good point Saca.

The main reason why I used Kyrlon is incase my administration saw it and had a shit fit. I could easily remove it.

NousDefionsDoc
08-12-2004, 20:51
HK just came out with some new colors for their pistols. OD and some other color I didn't recognize the name of.

NousDefionsDoc
08-12-2004, 20:53
Here ya go

08-12-2004, 22:38
I think the word you're looking for is "tan". :D

NousDefionsDoc
08-13-2004, 08:02
Paper says "taupe"

Air.177
08-13-2004, 09:41
Call Me old Fashioned, But I REFUSE to own/carry a "Taupe" pistol. "Taupe" just sounds a little too much like something that came off of a new Learning channel series:"Trading Pistols" LOL

Why couldn't they call it Coyote Like everyone else?

08-13-2004, 10:03
Same color. Taupe is just a fancy word for tan so designers can charge more, and sound more sophisticated. Kinda like "buttercream" and light yellow.:rolleyes:

Guy
08-13-2004, 10:13
I thought a "taupe" was something you wore when going balled?

They have names for "colors" out here I have never heard of and the same for food.

NousDefionsDoc
08-13-2004, 10:15
Originally posted by Guy
I thought a "taupe" was something you wore when going balled?

They have names for "colors" out here I have never heard of and the same for food.

ROTFLMAO!

mumbleypeg
08-13-2004, 11:22
I can't wait for guncote to be made in "buttercream" , "taupe" and perhaps "sunflower".

Guy
08-13-2004, 11:38
Laugh all you want to...

When someone asks "what color black" do you want?

I get confused!:confused:

bberkley
08-13-2004, 12:04
This is my new "competition only" handgun:

http://www.arpc-ipsc.org/~bberkley/hawleycustom.jpg

STI Long/Wide dustcover cut for Nowlin ramp
STI Unique slide tri-topped
EGW magwell
Nowlin .40 S&W Ramped bull barrel
SVI Infinity Long/Flat TriGlide trigger
S&A hammer, sear, disconnector
Kings Beavertail (checkering on the pad matches the checkering on the STI grip)
Reverse plug stainless guide rod
BoMar BMCS rear sight
Brazos Custom Lightning rod fiber optic front sight
Ed Brown slide release
Ed Brown ambidextrous long/wide thumb safety
STI titanium mainspring cap/hammer strut
Limcat extended firing pin

Its still "in the white" and will get sent to Tripp Research for satin finish hard chrome when I am done breaking it in. The trigger is a crisp 2 lbs now, it is very flat shooting and accurate. Its the first "custom" firearm I've owned, as I mostly prefer my Glock 17 or 34.

Air.177
08-13-2004, 12:07
Nice Pistol, I hear that Tripp does good work on finishing.

What holster do you use?

bberkley
08-13-2004, 12:12
I've got a Safariland 012. I've used the CR Speed and Ghost (pinned) holsters for the Glocks. My production rig is a mix of Sidearmor mag pouches and a Blade-Tech dropped/offset kydex holster. I use the CR Speed Versa pouches because I can use the STI mags, Glock mags, and single-stack mags in them.

Air.177
08-13-2004, 12:19
Cool deal, a friend of mine has a Brazos Custom Ghost holster that is sweet.

Alex F
08-13-2004, 15:00
I guess the tan Mk23 is just as bad as my black Mk23.

:(

DanUCSB
08-13-2004, 17:18
I like this idea of "Trading Pistols". Hah! I think the first episode should involve TR and TS... I'm sure hilarity would ensue. ;)

I'm just wondering who would get the hot pink grips and who would get the .380 barrel kit. :D

Air.177
08-13-2004, 17:23
Originally posted by DanUCSB
I like this idea of "Trading Pistols". Hah! I think the first episode should involve TR and TS... I'm sure hilarity would ensue. ;)

I'm just wondering who would get the hot pink grips and who would get the .380 barrel kit. :D

LMAO

I wonder.....Would they cancel the series if the first two participants got in a gunfight?