PDA

View Full Version : Cpl. Eric Hjalmarson.

skylinedrive
12-01-2009, 03:07
KANDAHAR AIRFIELD - Cpl. Eric Hjalmarson joined the army at 50. 
Now at age 58, he's on his fourth tour of duty, his third in Afghanistan. 
And he sees the progress Canada's mission here is making.

"Going through Kandahar, there's way more people now, the pattern of life is a lot friendlier to NATO troops and areas are building up," says Hjalmarson, with 1PPCLI in Edmonton.

"Even in the smaller villages, people are willing to come up and give you information about insurgents. Before, they were so scared of contacting the troops, scared of reprisals.But now they realize we come into an area, stay there longer and provide them with protection so they are willing to take more of a risk and help us."

The Vancouver Island native - whose son just completed a fourth tour in Afghanistan - says he hopes more Canadians are beginning to appreciate the efforts of the mission here.

"Canada is a great place to grow up, people take a lot for granted, and I think everyone should have to come to a country like this and appreciate what they have."

Being a soldier, he says, is a way to give back.

"We're here by the invitation of the legally elected democratic government of Afghanistan. They asked for our help because they want to get rid of these insurgents that are trying to take back this country and oppress it.

"Everybody should have the right to live without being oppressed. But you go through these villages and look at these little kids hardly big enough to walk and they're carrying wood for fire and herding goats. They don't have a childhood here."

Hjalmarson, a grandfather, is hopeful they soon will.

In the arm-sleeve pocket of his camouflage, he slides out photos, one of his father, the other his grandfather - both proud decorated soldiers.

On the back are poems he's written for army comrades, one of whom died in battle. He himself survived an IED blast in February 2006.

Hjalmarson isn't sure what he'll do when mandatory retirement rolls around at 60.

He turned 50 in battle school.

"Bars are meant to be raised," winks the former millwright and machinist.

"It was my last chance to do something I always wanted to do."

http://www.calgarysun.com/news/canada/2009/11/29/11971801-sun.html#print

Richard
12-01-2009, 05:35
A toast - "To the North Americans!"

Richard

Stealthed
12-01-2009, 06:03

Richard

Aye! 58 year old combat grunt? I'd like to shake his hand.

skylinedrive
12-01-2009, 08:48

Richard

Hear! Hear!

dennisw
12-01-2009, 09:30
Great story! Somehow I don't feel as old as I did before I read this. :D Cpl. Eric Hjalmarson's thinking seems to be right on. May God protect him and his fellow soldiers during his deployment.

Utah Bob
12-01-2009, 12:33
58?? GIVE THE MAN A BEER, EH?:D

Red Flag 1
12-01-2009, 12:53
58?? GIVE THE MAN A BEER, EH?:D

Molsen, LaBatts, Moose Head, etc. works for me!!

Be well Cpl Eric Hjalmarson!!

This FOG is proud of you!!!

RF 1

ZonieDiver
12-01-2009, 14:21
I wish our Army was as receptive to old farts! Congrats Cpl - way to go!

dadof18x'er
12-01-2009, 16:37
Cpl. Eric Hjalmarson joined the army at 50

I thought 40 was the age limit for enlisting??

The Reaper
12-01-2009, 16:41

In the Canadian Army?

TR

Richard
12-01-2009, 16:42

FYI - he's Canadian - 1PPCLI (1st Battalion Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry) - North American (US-CAN) but not American.

Richard

greenberetTFS
12-01-2009, 16:48
I wish our Army was as receptive to old farts! Congrats Cpl - way to go!

Maybe we should go to Canada ................:D:D:D Congrats Cpl. and your son too.

Big Teddy :munchin

Gypsy
12-01-2009, 18:21

Cheers!

Stay safe Cpl Hjalmarson.

ZonieDiver
12-01-2009, 19:21
Maybe we should go to Canada ................:Congrats Cpl. and your son too.

Big Teddy :munchin

Too cold. I cannot afford a team of dogs for the sled. I failed "advanced igloo building." I don't understand hockey (sorry, Teddy), and prefer Mexican beer. Otherwise, except for the fact I am now 60... let's go! :D

Surf n Turf
12-01-2009, 19:42
Cpl. Eric Hjalmarson joined the army at 50. Now at age 58, he's on his fourth tour of duty, his third in Afghanistan.

Damn, some guys just don’t quit.
Way to go Corporal :D
SnT

wet dog
12-02-2009, 00:18
This reminds me of a guy I met "downunder". An Ausie SAS soldier who was and had been a CPL for better than 20 years. They tried to promote him to SGT, but after 6 months, he went back to CPL.

What can I say, he liked the issued MG.

When he finally retired 25 years in service, he made the rank of SGT, saying, he better take the pay hike.

dirtyshirt
12-02-2009, 17:24
58, fourth tour of duty,and still a CPL?!?

I'm Glad (and lucky) to be here in the U.S-promotion for me was much kinder.

Good On him for hanging in there :lifter