PDA

View Full Version : Cast Iron?

brewmonkey
07-20-2004, 15:51
Looking to upgrade the old gas grill. I have been looking at some of the newer models out there and have found several with cast iron grills which I am interested in.

Does anyone have a model with the cast iron grill? Is there anything you have noticed or something that you dislike about it?

My old grill is fine it is just aging and the price to replace the burners and the grill I am halfway to a decent low priced model ($250-300). Any suggestions on a specific brand?

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 16:07
My new grill has a heavy stainless steel cooking surface. The best grills I know of are made by Lynx and Viking. Mine is made by Barbecues Galore.

brewmonkey
07-20-2004, 16:50
While we were out looking around I ran across several I would not mind having. Of course then the wife came over and saw the stickers on them...

How is the stainless steel working for you. Is it stainless steel with aluminum in the center? How about the cleaning of it? Does it just wipe clean or do you still need the brush? How about conducting heat? IIRC stainless steel is a poor heat conductor and does not distribute the heat evenly. Have you noticed anything along those lines with yours?

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 17:13
Originally posted by brewmonkey
How is the stainless steel working for you. Is it stainless steel with aluminum in the center? How about the cleaning of it? Does it just wipe clean or do you still need the brush? How about conducting heat? IIRC stainless steel is a poor heat conductor and does not distribute the heat evenly. Have you noticed anything along those lines with yours?

No, stainless steel is the best grilling surface you can buy. Cleans like any other surface. I just use a brush. I like a little charring on my grill surface.

The Reaper
07-20-2004, 17:27
We just bought a new grill last month.

Consumer Reports rated it highly, and it was the cheapest all stainless grill they rated.

It was a Thermos and we found it at Target for just under $400.

TR

brewmonkey
07-20-2004, 17:44
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
No, stainless steel is the best grilling surface you can buy. Cleans like any other surface. I just use a brush. I like a little charring on my grill surface.

Excellent, I will have to look at some with the stainless as well. I want something that will add to the joy of cooking, unlike my current grill which is a PITA to use and clean all the time.

Of course I could always just use my LP burner that I use for homebrewing. It cranks out 235K BTU's and sounds like a damned jet when you light it.:D

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 18:42
Originally posted by brewmonkey
Excellent, I will have to look at some with the stainless as well. I want something that will add to the joy of cooking, unlike my current grill which is a PITA to use and clean all the time.

Of course I could always just use my LP burner that I use for homebrewing. It cranks out 235K BTU's and sounds like a damned jet when you light it.:D

You'll find that the stainless grilling surface adds to the price. It is what separates the "top-end" grills from the next tier. Mine is at the bottom of the top tier; decided to save a few bucks and not go crazy with the thing. LOL

CPTAUSRET
07-20-2004, 18:51
For Santa Fe, we bought a TEC (Infra Red) grill a little pricey but...It works well.

Terry

brewmonkey
07-20-2004, 20:08
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
You'll find that the stainless grilling surface adds to the price. It is what separates the "top-end" grills from the next tier. Mine is at the bottom of the top tier; decided to save a few bucks and not go crazy with the thing. LOL

I obviously would like to stay within the budget that I planned but cost overruns are sometimes needed to accomplish the mission. LOL!

If it is a quality item that will last I have no probelms going a little higher. If I buy lower quality I might have saved $200 now, but in another 2-3 years I would either have to repair/replace the cheaper one. For the extra money now I have an item that with a little PMCS will last a lot longer and save money in the end.