PDA

View Full Version : ETT

afchic
11-23-2009, 15:06
Does anyone have experience doing an ETT in Afghanistan? I just got word today that I will be deploying with an Army unit in June as a Branch Chief on an ETT. I am hoping you all can point me the right direction as to what I can expect, and hopefully some material I can start reading up on.

No one I know in the AF has been tagged to do this type of duty before.

Thanks in Advance

nmap
11-23-2009, 16:01
I certainly don't claim to know anything about the subject, although the subject looks interesting...

Here's a LINK (http://bc235.blogspot.com/2009/06/what-is-ett-anyway.html) that might help.

Warrior-Mentor
11-23-2009, 16:07
Related Professional reading:

The Ugly American by Eugene Burdick and William J. Lederer
This is one of the classics that's a must read.
http://www.amazon.com/Ugly-American-Eugene-Burdick/dp/0393318672/ref=tmm_pap_title_sr

The Great Game by Peter Hopkirk
Recommended to me by a number of Officers that I respect.
http://www.amazon.com/Great-Game-Struggle-Central-Kodansha/dp/1568360223/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259013793&sr=1-1

Ghost Wars by Steve Coll
Because the DCG of the Task Force I was with recommended it, I read this while I was in Afghanistan.
http://www.amazon.com/Ghost-Wars-Afghanistan-Invasion-September/dp/0143034669/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1259013900&sr=1-1

Eagle5US
11-24-2009, 00:53
I am on an ANA Camp right now with 20+ AF types all on ETT's all about to rotate out and be replaced. They were the 2nd AF iteration with their particular "embed set" so that means at least 2 years.

As far as what you will be doing, it depends on what "job" they tag you with being an embedded trainer for. It can be anything from "This is what you do when you are a SGT" <I am not kidding> to "this is what you do when you are a medic, equipment repairer, mechanic, inspector, etc" depending on your rank and skill set. We recently lost a significant number of our unit to do the "Allow me to explain your rank and what it means", and some of our hard chargers to be the "Physical Fitness Embeds"

Most of them are now wrinkled, gray, and have little hair left after trying to deal with the ANA, who (at best) are comical when they show up for work, at worst incredibly dangerous from their VERY FERQUENT ND's (some of which have wounded US personnel so the embeds now walk BEHIND the ANA/ANP).

The USN, USA and the AF are all doing the ETT and VTT missions.

"Embedded Trainer" it's the new and shiney thing here in country everyone wants to focus on:rolleyes:

Eagle

Don
11-24-2009, 04:27
AFCHIC,

I just left 1st Army a couple of months ago. We were the primary trainers for NG "units" performing ETT/PMT or PRT missions. Some will want to argue 1 ID has that mission, but that was when regular Army units had the mission, and the posotions were individually sourced. Now, mostly this has been handed off to NG brigades.

We also train AF and Navy folks that have been tagged for the PRT mission. Make sure you are using the right terminology. I have never heard of the ETT mission being joint sourced until Eagle5US's post, but again, we take care of reserve component. As I said earlier, it has morphed into a NG BCT mission.

If you find out it is a PRT mission, I can provide you contact info with some folks that can let you know where to start. PRTs are trained at CP Atterbury, and ETT brigades mostly trained at CP Shelby. You can PM me with additional questions.

afchic
11-24-2009, 08:27
I am on an ANA Camp right now with 20+ AF types all on ETT's all about to rotate out and be replaced. They were the 2nd AF iteration with their particular "embed set" so that means at least 2 years.

As far as what you will be doing, it depends on what "job" they tag you with being an embedded trainer for. It can be anything from "This is what you do when you are a SGT" <I am not kidding> to "this is what you do when you are a medic, equipment repairer, mechanic, inspector, etc" depending on your rank and skill set. We recently lost a significant number of our unit to do the "Allow me to explain your rank and what it means", and some of our hard chargers to be the "Physical Fitness Embeds"

Most of them are now wrinkled, gray, and have little hair left after trying to deal with the ANA, who (at best) are comical when they show up for work, at worst incredibly dangerous from their VERY FERQUENT ND's (some of which have wounded US personnel so the embeds now walk BEHIND the ANA/ANP).

The USN, USA and the AF are all doing the ETT and VTT missions.

"Embedded Trainer" it's the new and shiney thing here in country everyone wants to focus on:rolleyes:

Eagle

That pretty much sums it up from what I understand, I will be "mentoring" a senior Afghan Officer on Logistics. Heard from a friend of mine today who is doing just that (didn't know what she was doing was labled ETT).

I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks for everyone's help. I truly appreciate it.

The Reaper
11-24-2009, 09:36
That pretty much sums it up from what I understand, I will be "mentoring" a senior Afghan Officer on Logistics. Heard from a friend of mine today who is doing just that (didn't know what she was doing was labled ETT).

I'll shoot you a PM.

Thanks for everyone's help. I truly appreciate it.

Make sure you do your part to stop his skimming and corruption.:D

Let us know how you manage to get him to listen to a female perspective as well.:munchin

Best of luck!

TR

afchic
11-24-2009, 13:19
Make sure you do your part to stop his skimming and corruption.:D

Let us know how you manage to get him to listen to a female perspective as well.:munchin

Best of luck!

TR

Sir, do you and TS share the same wavelength? Just got a PM from him on the same subject, with the same thought:)