PDA

View Full Version : Atchisson Assault Shotgun

spherojon
11-12-2009, 14:01
Hello Gentlemen,
I couldn't find the Atchisson Assault Shotgun under the "search" option. This weapon looks very interesting to me and I thought I would share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchisson_Assault_Shotgun

In Action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

MN_student
11-12-2009, 14:16

rubberneck
11-12-2009, 15:07
Someone has been playing Call of Duty- Modern Warfare 2.:rolleyes:

Go Devil
11-12-2009, 15:24
I am much more frightened by the bald/mullet man that is possibly related to the bald/mullet character from the Rocky Horror Picture Show.

spherojon
11-12-2009, 15:42
Negative good sir, don't play video games anymore, I view it as waste of time. I am interested in its application in a close urban environment.

The Reaper
11-12-2009, 15:46
Negative good sir, don't play video games anymore, I view it as waste of time. I am interested in its application in a close urban environment.

How many rounds can you carry?

What do you do when a friendly is adjacent to the desired target?

What do you do if your opponent is about to engage you from more than 50 meters?

Since you are not even in the military yet, and this is not an issue weapon, why do you care?

TR

caveman
11-12-2009, 21:20

It should be noted that the entire male population of our barracks (and probably the army) are currently burning the midnight oil playing this game.

Exaggeration maybe, but not by much.

C0B2A
11-12-2009, 21:32
It should be noted that the entire male population of our barracks (and probably the army) are currently burning the midnight oil playing this game.

Yeah I am going to go ahead and say that it is not an exaggeration.. everyone is playing this game around here (Bragg).

BigJimCalhoun
11-12-2009, 21:47
Hello Gentlemen,
I couldn't find the Atchisson Assault Shotgun under the "search" option. This weapon looks very interesting to me and I thought I would share.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atchisson_Assault_Shotgun

In Action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4ebtj1jR7c

I own a Saiga-12 and sort of regret the purchase now. I really don't have a use for it. TR in post 6 brings up several excellent points.

Being in CA, you might have a better chance of getting a Saiga than the AA-12.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saiga-12

In action
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5LwV0OS3m0

PedOncoDoc
11-13-2009, 05:13

This is why you keep a sidearm and train to shoot from a low position - any round that goes through and through will have a higher chance of taking a trajectory over the crowd's heads and not into them.

I agree - very few practical applications for this shotgun - I don't even think it has a high CDI factor (CDI=Chicks Dig It.)

Kyobanim
11-13-2009, 05:43
Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman

Yeah I am going to go ahead and say that it is not an exaggeration.. everyone is playing this game around here (Bragg).

Did they participate in scene 1 or did they skip it?

caveman
11-13-2009, 07:06
Did they participate in scene 1 or did they skip it?

It's actually the third scene I think (if you're referring to the controversial airport scene) and no, I don't think anybody is skipping it. It does an important part in moving the plot forward. Here is footage of the whole scene, about 8 minutes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JHvkp3CWJw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JHvkp3CWJw)

It's worth watching, especially the end if you want to understand why it was in the game.

Dozer523
11-13-2009, 08:38
(if you're referring to the controversial airport scene)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JHvkp3CWJw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JHvkp3CWJw)
It's worth watching, especially the end if you want to understand why it was in the game. You have GOT to be kidding! The question should be why is it available at all?

Kyobanim
11-13-2009, 09:17
@ Dozer - Yeah, this is one of the things IW is taking a lot of heat for.

Sorry to disagree, but this does nothing to move the story forward. It's gratuitous bullshit that has no bearing on the game, let alone the story. And yes, I've followed this series from the begining, including all things related to MW2.

C0B2A
11-13-2009, 09:42
I completely agree it really is not needed in the game, especially as a playable level. At the start of the game there is some warning like "there is a level that could offend you, do you want to play it," but I never expected anything like that. When the level started I tried to shoot the bad guys and the game ends immediately, they should have at least giving you the option.

ZonieDiver
11-13-2009, 10:01

Crap... we just used to read FM's and play poker. The times, they are a changin'!

Team Sergeant
11-13-2009, 10:04
This is why you keep a sidearm and train to shoot from a low position - any round that goes through and through will have a higher chance of taking a trajectory over the crowd's heads and not into them.
I agree - very few practical applications for this shotgun - I don't even think it has a high CDI factor (CDI=Chicks Dig It.)

I'm not even going to ask where you "learned" this technique.
You may want to stick with medicine......

Team Sergeant

spherojon
11-13-2009, 14:27
How many rounds can you carry?

What do you do if your opponent is about to engage you from more than 50 meters?

Since you are not even in the military yet, and this is not an issue weapon, why do you care?

TR
Good Sir,
I have a general interest in weapons, how they are designed, maintained, and a general interest in weapon applications. I am not claiming by any means that I am an expert, nor that I have shot every single weapon out there. But I do enjoy shooting shotguns as well as a variation of rifles and other small arms.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. how did this go from AA12 to CoD 4: Modern Warefare 2? (CoD 6?)

Team Sergeant
11-13-2009, 15:19
Good Sir,
I have a general interest in weapons, how they are designed, maintained, and a general interest in weapon applications. I am not claiming by any means that I am an expert, nor that I have shot every single weapon out there. But I do enjoy shooting shotguns as well as a variation of rifles and other small arms.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. how did this go from AA12 to CoD 4: Modern Warefare 2? (CoD 6?)

spherojon,
A weapon such as the AA12 would not be a weapon of choice in the military or by Special Forces.
The Reaper made a few points concerning the weapon and it's ammunition. Our personal weapons need to reach out to 300m with accuracy & enough residual kinetic energy to kill. The AA-12 does not even come close to being any sort of assault/military weapon. Also, there are currently much better shotguns that have the same 8 round capacity and are faster and easier to use.

TS

spherojon
11-13-2009, 16:11
spherojon,
A weapon such as the AA12 would not be a weapon of choice in the military or by Special Forces.
The Reaper made a few points concerning the weapon and it's ammunition. Our personal weapons need to reach out to 300m with accuracy & enough residual kinetic energy to kill. The AA-12 does not even come close to being any sort of assault/military weapon. Also, there are currently much better shotguns that have the same 8 round capacity and are faster and easier to use.

TS
Team Sergeant,
Thank you for your response.

MN_student
11-19-2009, 22:27
Perhaps by AA12, he ment XM25... :rolleyes: :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XM25

Zeppo
11-26-2009, 16:28
I'm no weapons expert...

But I still chuckle a little when people take the AA-12 seriously.

It's a solution looking for a problem. No one needs a shotgun the weight of an LMG, the capacity of a battle rifle, the penetrative ability of a pistol, the ergonomics and appearance of a 2x4, and the effective range of, well, a shotgun. There's nothing this does that a squad with carbines, SAWs, breaching shotguns, and bloop tubes can do a lot more effectively, flexibly, and with less weight encumbrance.

I love how, immediately after "Mack" talks about how it doesn't require cleaning because it uses "7 different kinds of stainless steel" (it's nice to know that the number of different materials dictates the cleaning requirements of a weapon...), it has a misfeed. Good thing they cut away quickly from that one.

EDIT: Besides, anything it does the Saiga-12 can do as well or better, with the added bonus of being able to actually buy a Saiga (unless you live in Canada).

Claemore
11-26-2009, 19:59
Oh, it is not called the Atchisson Assault 12 anymore. He (Atchisson) was bought out, it is now called the Auto Assault 12. Back when I was a kid, this was the weapon of choice when we played guns. Oh, also the Pancor Jackhammer. Remember that one? Used disposable drums, or if I remember correctly "cassettes".

Zeppo
11-26-2009, 20:56
Oh, it is not called the Atchisson Assault 12 anymore. He (Atchisson) was bought out, it is now called the Auto Assault 12. Back when I was a kid, this was the weapon of choice when we played guns. Oh, also the Pancor Jackhammer. Remember that one? Used disposable drums, or if I remember correctly "cassettes".

Yeah, Max Atchisson took a break from being crazy to hand off the designs to someone else. As I understand it, it broke off into two designs (either post- or pre-Max leaving)—the USAS-12 and the AA-12.

The Jackhammer's an interesting one, another case of a firearm that appears far more in video games than real life. As I remember, you could use a loaded drum magazine as an anti-personnel mine, which is pretty damn cool but, then again, doesn't strike me as totally practical (especially for the role that an automatic shotgun would theoretically fill, if any military actually adopted one in significant numbers).

The "compensator" on the jackhammer still throws me for a loop. It looks like it would increase muzzle rise...

The Reaper
11-26-2009, 21:53
Zeppo:

You are 17 years old and live in an area with restrictive firearms laws.

We like our discussions here to be among people who actually have some experience.

I suggest you reread your Intro post and do what you said you would about posting. Four in one day is a bit much from a HS student.

TR

Utah Bob
11-27-2009, 13:02
Crap... we just used to read FM's and play poker. The times, they are a changin'!

Yeah. And shoot real guns.:D

Ken Brock
12-06-2009, 09:09
I like the idea of those Frag 12 mini-grenades they developed for the AA-12

:D