PDA

View Full Version : Watch Donation for SF guys...

Basenshukai
11-10-2009, 12:06
Gentlemen, I posted this (below) on another website that is focused on watches (yeah, I collect watches, what can I say?).

What I need from you guys is what process I'd need in place to make this happen? Can the SF Association help in guiding me towards this goal. For instance, how do I go about getting a donor to send a letter to a specific SF guy without breaking current OPSEC measures, ect? Also, a logo would be in order ... any ideas? Thanks. BAS Sends.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"IF INTERESTED IN PERSONALLY THANKING THE WARRIORS FIGHTING OUT THERE FOR US, READ ON:

US Special Operations Forces (SOF) Watch Give-Away:

Reason: Due to the nature of the current terrorist threat throughout the world nearly three years ago USSOCOM (United States Special Operations Command) became the supported command for the global war on terror. Under this new mandate, known as the "the unified command plan", USSOCOM became the lead combatant command for planning and synchronizing and, when directed, executing global operations against terrorist networks. SOF (all Special Operations units within USSOCOM - US Special Forces, US Navy SEALs, US AF SOF, MARSOC, etc - has been the tip of the spear in the current effort to keep the Nation safe.

Plan:

I have been discussing an idea with another fellow Service Member for a while and decided to finally begin the process of making this happen. So, here are the details:

1) The idea is to "adopt" - if you will - a SOF Service Member and donate to him a watch useful for field use (more details on that below; keep on reading).

2) The watch can be a used watch in good condition from your own collection, or a new watch purchased for the sole purpose of donating it.

Details:

- As many of you know, I am an active duty US Army Special Forces Officer currently on a short training assignment in CONUS (which gives me the opportunity to participate in this forum). There is another active duty SOF member in this forum who gave me the idea, I'm just developing it at this point.

- As I'm US Army, I'm going to start this with my own unit - the US Army Special Forces, or "Green Berets". But, if this thing takes off, I'd like to add on a member of Naval Special Warfare as well so that we can send these watches to our SEAL brethren and so forth.

- The process must be completely transparent and, the watch will be mailed directly from you to the Service Member, so that it is a personal effort and this will give you more of a feeling of having been directly involved.

- Right now, I'm going to see if I can work with the US Army Special Forces Association to get the details of the process required, to include the APO address we'd need to send the watches to and to see how we can get these items to the actual SOF operator without breaching Operational Security (vital personal information of the SOF operator). When during our rotation, we received mail without any mention of rank, for instance. I have to contact the unit Intelligence Officer to get the current approved process.

- We are going to start with the Special Forces unit currently in rotation in Afghanistan.

Rules:

1) The donation must be done to a SOF unit currently in a combat rotation overseas (right now, I'm leaning towards Afghanistan's Combined Joint Special Operations Task Force - or, CJSOTF-A).

2) The watch must be something that the operator must be able to use while conducting his job:

a) Must be of a low profile color
b) Must have an easy to read dial
c) Chrono, as well as date complications are welcomed as we all know these are useful
d) Watch can be digital, analogue, or a combination of both.
e) Watch must be durable
f) Must have descent lume (doesn't have to be a "torch", but you know what I mean)
g) Can be inexpensive, as long as the thing won't fall apart in the worst possible moment (Murphy's Law, you know)

Final Notes:

-Right now, I'm feeling you guys out for interest in this. Please post if interested. If you have a watch in mind, but want to know if its suitable, just ask: I've been out there long enough to know what usually works for us.

-The only standard thing I could think of would be a standard letterhead format that I can create and send to each donor so that you can write your note to the Service Member on that. I guess it should have a logo and a name. I got the responsibility for coming up with a logo. However, ideas for a name for this little project is welcomed.

Thanks for your attention to this matter"

kimberly
11-10-2009, 12:23
I'm just a civilian and maybe not the ideal person for input, but The Watch Project pretty much covers it. Your logo could be some amount of all the Special Forces logos incorporated onto a watchface. My daughter is an artist and could come up with an example.

Basenshukai
11-10-2009, 12:25
I'm just a civilian and maybe not the ideal person for input, but The Watch Project pretty much covers it. Your logo could be some amount of all the Special Forces logos incorporated onto a watchface. My daughter is an artist and could come up with an example.

Sounds good. I'm open for any graphic design idea! Thanks!

Utah Bob
11-10-2009, 12:28
I'm thinking I wouldn't care to wear a watch that id'd me as a Special Forces member if i was overseas. Stateside would be fine.
Just my dos centavos.

kimberly
11-10-2009, 12:35
I believe what is intended is any watch that would be serviceable. The logo over a watchface would be more of a letterhead, unless I'm misunderstanding.

PedOncoDoc
11-10-2009, 12:36
I'm thinking I wouldn't care to wear a watch that id'd me as a Special Forces member if i was overseas. Stateside would be fine.
Just my dos centavos.

I think the graphic design idea was a logo for the project and not to be placed on any of the watches themselves.

But you raise a good point - if this project does take off it should be made clear that there should be no marking made on the watch by the donor which could identify the watch's future wearer as a Special Forces member.

A list of acceptable watches (or of watches which won't make the cut) might make things easier for those who would like to donate as well.

kimberly
11-10-2009, 12:36
Sounds good. I'm open for any graphic design idea! Thanks!

How soon would you need it?

Basenshukai
11-10-2009, 12:41
LOL.

The logo is for the letterhead of the letter that the donor would send to the SF member - NOT the watch. The watches will be a variation of what donors send while keeping to the standards outlined in my text above.

Some watches will be G-Shocks, others might be Seikos, while some might donate something a bit pricier. It's up to the donor as a thanks to the SF service member. It's all clearly stated in the original post.

This is NOT an SF specific watch with any SF logos on it.

Kim: It'll be a few days before I get all the details ironed-out. So I figure at least a week. It's that feasible for you? PM me and we'll continue to coordinate. Thanks.

Kyobanim
11-10-2009, 13:42
Since there are a billion watches on the market, how about creating a list of different watches that would fit the bill? TBH, I wouldn't know what to get or what constitutes a servicable watchfor that type of environment.

Basenshukai
11-10-2009, 14:16
Since there are a billion watches on the market, how about creating a list of different watches that would fit the bill? TBH, I wouldn't know what to get or what constitutes a servicable watchfor that type of environment.

Got it. I'll come up with something by tonight. Thanks, bro.

SF_BHT
11-10-2009, 14:38
I like watches also and this would be a good project......

Hell I would like to send one to the current TS on a couple of my old teams that I was the TS of........ My way of passing on the torch and making sure they are never late.....:eek::cool:

Waiting for a list to choose from.........

Requiem
11-11-2009, 17:09
ideas for a name for this little project is welcomed.

Dear Sir,

This is an excellent idea for those who want to personally thank the men who defend our freedom. My prayers go out for every warrior putting his life on the line for me. While prayers for protection and guidance are invaluable, if I can help in a more concrete way, I’d be honored.

The watch project should have a name as fitting as the men it will recognize. How about something like: Watches for Warriors?

I’m excited about your project and hope it gets off the ground. If I can help in any way, I’d be happy to. I’m a writer, with experience in communications & public relations. If you want materials written, or just a second pair of eyes to proof things, consider me volunteered.

Susan

Utah Bob
11-11-2009, 17:18
LOL.

The logo is for the letterhead of the letter that the donor would send to the SF member - NOT the watch. The watches will be a variation of what donors send while keeping to the standards outlined in my text above.

Some watches will be G-Shocks, others might be Seikos, while some might donate something a bit pricier. It's up to the donor as a thanks to the SF service member. It's all clearly stated in the original post.

This is NOT an SF specific watch with any SF logos on it.

Kim: It'll be a few days before I get all the details ironed-out. So I figure at least a week. It's that feasible for you? PM me and we'll continue to coordinate. Thanks.

Roger. I got it now.;)

Basenshukai
11-11-2009, 18:16
Dear Sir,

This is an excellent idea for those who want to personally thank the men who defend our freedom. My prayers go out for every warrior putting his life on the line for me. While prayers for protection and guidance are invaluable, if I can help in a more concrete way, I’d be honored.

The watch project should have a name as fitting as the men it will recognize. How about something like: Watches for Warriors?

I’m excited about your project and hope it gets off the ground. If I can help in any way, I’d be happy to. I’m a writer, with experience in communications & public relations. If you want materials written, or just a second pair of eyes to proof things, consider me volunteered.

Susan

Susan,

Thank you so much for your support. I'm still in the development phase but, I'll tell you that I'm very much biased towards your title suggestion; I like it. I will most likely be taking you up on your offer of help here. I'm also exploring other venues with a particular watch company via one of its employees (a brand technical advisor). Thanks again.

Requiem
11-11-2009, 18:43
I will most likely be taking you up on your offer of help here.

Standing by. :)

-Susan

cszakolczai
12-19-2009, 23:51
Just wondering if there are any updates for this?

Basenshukai
12-20-2009, 10:36
Just wondering if there are any updates for this?

Yep. Folks from three different watch collector forums donated about 40 watches to SF Soldiers in Afghanistan since this thing was posted. Some guys sent watches from their own collection while others sent G-Shocks and so forth.

cszakolczai
12-23-2009, 10:32
Would you still be interested in having more watches? Or even other items? Interested in helping out in whichever way I can.