PDA

View Full Version : Profile of those slain at Ft Hood

LongWire
11-09-2009, 06:37
RIP All............May Justice Be Done............
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Profiles Of Those Slain

Some joined the military after 9/11. Some wanted to help troubled troops. One just wanted to see the world. The 13 victims of the shooting at Fort Hood came from very different paths, but all shared a sense of patriotism that led them to their tragic deaths at the hands of a comrade.

Michael Grant Cahill -- Michael Cahill, 62, was a physician assistant who was married 37 years and had three children. He was so dedicated to his troops that he took only one week to recover from a recent heart attack, his daughter Keely Vanacker said. She remembered his long talks after Thanksgiving dinners: "Now, who am I going to talk to?"

L. Eduardo Caraveo -- Maj. Libardo Eduardo Caraveo, 52, immigrated from Ciudad Juarez, Mexico, as a teen knowing very little English, said his son, also named Eduardo Caraveo. The father went on to earn a doctorate in psychology, work with bilingual special-needs students in Arizona schools and was set to deploy to Afghanistan.

Justin M. DeCrow -- Staff Sgt. Justin DeCrow, 32, married his high school sweetheart and they had a 13-year-old daughter, said his wife, Marikay DeCrow. His father, Daniel DeCrow, of Fulton, Ind., spoke with his son last week. "As usual, the last words out of my mouth to him were that I was proud of him," Daniel DeCrow said.

John Gaffaney -- Capt. John Gaffaney, 56, served in the Navy and California National Guard as a younger man, but rejoined the military after 9/11. "He wanted to help the boys in Iraq and Afghanistan," said his friend Stephanie Powell. He was a married father of one who liked to read military novels and ride his Harley-Davidson motorcycle.

Frederick Greene -- Spc. Frederick Greene, 29, worked for several years at A.C. Lumber and Truss in Mountain City, Tenn., before joining the military, said former coworker Glenn Arney. Greene was also active at Baker's Gap Baptist Church. "He was one of the finest boys you ever saw," said Arney, the church's former superintendent.

Jason Dean Hunt -- Spc. Jason Hunt, 22, went by "J.D." and was married just two months ago, said his mother, Gale Hunt. The Oklahoma native had rejoined the Army after a two-year stint that included a tour in Iraq. He was "just kind of a quiet boy and a good kid, very kind," said Kathy Gray, an administrative assistant at his high school.

Amy Krueger -- Sgt. Amy Krueger, 29, joined the Army after 9/11 and vowed to take on Osama bin Laden, her mother, Jeri Krueger, told the Herald Times Reporter in Manitowoc, Wis. Jeri Krueger recalled telling her daughter she couldn't take on the al-Qaeda leader herself. "Watch me," her daughter replied.

Aaron T. Nemelka -- Pfc. Aaron Nemelka, 19, chose to join the Army instead of going on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. "What I loved about the kid was his independence of thought," his uncle Christopher Nemelka said. He was set to deploy to Afghanistan in January, his family said.

Michael Pearson -- Pfc. Michael Pearson, 21, quit a job at a furniture company in a Chicago suburb to join the military. "He wanted to travel, see the world," his mother, Sheryll Pearson, told the Chicago Tribune. She spoke to her son two days before his death to work out how he would get home for Christmas.

Russell Seager -- Capt. Russell Seager, 51, a married father of one, was a psychiatrist who joined the Army to help veterans struggling to return to civilian life, his uncle, Larry Seager, said. He was preparing for a deployment to Afghanistan in December. The Wisconsin man also taught classes at a Milwaukee college.

Francheska Velez -- Pvt. Francheska Velez, 21, was pregnant and preparing to return home to Chicago. She wrote poetry, loved dancing and was seeking a lifelong career in the military. She had just returned home from a tour in Iraq, according to her father, Juan Guillermo Velez. "She had the spirit of a child," he said.

Juanita Warman -- Lt. Col. Juanita Warman, 55, was a military physician assistant with two daughters and six grandchildren. After putting herself through the University of Pittsburgh, Warman spent most of her career in the military, her sister, Margaret Yaggie, told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.

Kham S. Xiong -- Pfc. Kham Xiong, 23, was a father of three whose father and grandfather fought the Viet Cong alongside the CIA. His brother is a Marine serving in Afghanistan. Xiong was set to deploy to Afghanistan. "He didn't get to go overseas and do what he's supposed to do," said his sister, Mee Xiong.

Rogue
11-09-2009, 08:04
Rest in Peace to All

PedOncoDoc
11-09-2009, 08:13
RIP all. You will not be forgotten.

Thanks for the post LongWire.

Plutarch
11-09-2009, 09:20
The 13 victims of the shooting at Fort Hood

Francheska Velez -- Pvt. Francheska Velez, 21, was pregnant

He should be charged with 14 victims. :(

R.I.P.

ck333
11-09-2009, 09:20
RIP fellow soldiers. Prayers out to your family and loved ones.

CK

JJ_BPK
11-09-2009, 09:28
Deus vult, Vaya con Dios..

1stindoor
11-09-2009, 09:51
RIP to all. Thanks for the post.

The Reaper
11-09-2009, 10:00
RIP, soldiers.

You will not be forgotten.

TR

Ret10Echo
11-09-2009, 10:03
RIP all....

Your country thanks you for your dedication.

Ghostiger7
11-09-2009, 10:47
Thanks for the insightful background
Via Con Dios

SF_BHT
11-09-2009, 11:03
Rest in Peace All......

greenberetTFS
11-09-2009, 12:05
Rest in Peace, Warriors ................:(

Big Teddy

nmap
11-09-2009, 13:33
Rest in peace.

AF IDMT
11-09-2009, 14:13
Amy Krueger -- Jeri Krueger recalled telling her daughter she couldn't take on the al-Qaeda leader herself. "Watch me," her daughter replied.

I couldn't help but smile when I read that.
RIP, Warriors.

Gypsy
11-09-2009, 18:23
He should be charged with 14 victims. :(

R.I.P.

I agree.

May we never forget. Rest in Peace to all, my thoughts and prayers are with the friends and families of the victims.

Enigma0122
11-09-2009, 21:25
Rest in Peace to ALL . God bless each of you and those you left behind.