PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk about cigars

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 12:15
Who smokes them and what are your preferences?

:munchin

Air.177
07-20-2004, 12:27
I am partial to the Fuente Hemmingway series, though I also like Zino Platinums and Buccanero Full Sail and Texas Star Maduros.

That being said, I rarely buy two of the same type at a time, I prefer to try the full spectrum.

And Yes, TR, I am old enough to smoke Cigars:p

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 12:32
Originally posted by Air.177
I am partial to the Fuente Hemmingway series, though I also like Zino Platinums and Buccanero Full Sail and Texas Star Maduros.

That being said, I rarely buy two of the same type at a time, I prefer to try the full spectrum.

And Yes, TR, I am old enough to smoke Cigars:p

I also like the Hemingways. Better than the Opus X in fact. You are a man of fine taste!

Air.177
07-20-2004, 12:34
I actually tried them because of your suggestion in an earlier post. The Opus are good, But should definately be allowed to "Rest" for 6 months to a year for best results. I have done this once before, and found that I do not have the patience to do it again. The Diamond Crown Series are also quite good, and are generally more readily available than the Opus.

Eagle5US
07-20-2004, 13:31
Jamaican Platinum:
Vanilla Rum cured wrapper

Eagle

Ghostrider
07-20-2004, 14:53
Padron "Anniversary" series, Arturo Fuente (pretty much any), La Gloriana Cubana......maduros being my favorite "type".

brewmonkey
07-20-2004, 14:56
Swisher Sweets.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........You thought I was serious! :D

Air.177
07-20-2004, 14:59
Originally posted by brewmonkey
Swisher Sweets.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.........You thought I was serious! :D

I bet those go Great with such High order Beers as Miller High Life and Old English, or maybe Mickeys.:p

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 15:00
I bet those go Great with such High order Beers as Miller High Life and Old English, or maybe Mickeys.:p

Schaefer
Pabst Blue Ribbon
"Beer" in the white can with black letters

Brother Rat
07-20-2004, 15:24
Anyone like CAO?

Air.177
07-20-2004, 15:31
Originally posted by Brother Rat
Anyone like CAO?

I like them alright, they are usually more expensive than the Hemingways at the places I go and I like the Hemingways better. CAO's are a good smoke though.

brewmonkey
07-20-2004, 15:43
I am not a huge cigar fan. I have had some good ones in the past and when I was at the pub we had a humidor in the bar area that stocked a decent selection.

My problem with them probably stems from the fact that whenever I seem to have one it is while I am having a pint. I have a big problem with things that interfere with my beers qualities. Cigars quickly overpower the beer's aroma and flavor profile both of which are an essential part of the drinking experience.

Sacamuelas
07-20-2004, 15:58
Whoever thought Brew could make drinking a cold frosty mug of beer sound snotty and john kerry'ish. :p

Just kidding Brew... I need to edumacate' myself on the fine art of beer tasting. I enjoy your posts.

As to cigars, not my thing. I have had a few really nice ones(translated really $$$ and/or rare) but have yet to find anything that I would consider enjoyable.

Maybe I will purchase a few of the recommended ones and try again....

Any tips on what you like to couple with smoking a cigar to further increase the taste/experience? ex. Brandy

Air.177
07-20-2004, 16:03
Originally posted by Sacamuelas
Any tips on what you like to couple with smoking a cigar to further increase the taste/experience? ex. Brandy

Most certainly none from me, My Samoan Attorney has advised me that I know nothing of the sort ;)

gk404
07-20-2004, 18:01

In my experience, I find a good vintage port goes realy well, especialy after a nice meal. That, or some single malt.

My favourite stogies by far are Cuban Montecristos, Vegas Robainas being second on the list.

brewmonkey
07-20-2004, 18:21
Originally posted by gk404
In my experience, I find a good vintage port goes realy well, especialy after a nice meal. That, or some single malt.

My favourite stogies by far are Cuban Montecristos, Vegas Robainas being second on the list.

Only problem is you cannot legally get the Cubans in this country.

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 18:43

The Montecristos are tasty. Haven't tried the other one.

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 18:45
Only problem is you cannot legally get the Cubans in this country.

No, not legally. :eek:

You can, however, get them legally in other countries. :)

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 18:45
Anyone like CAO?

I do.

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 18:47
Cigars quickly overpower the beer's aroma and flavor profile both of which are an essential part of the drinking experience.

Jesus christ, brew, don't you ever just drink to get drunk? LOL

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 18:48

Brandy is OK, but bourbon goes good with anything. It's like chicken. LOL

gk404
07-20-2004, 18:57
Originally posted by Roguish Lawyer
The Montecristos are tasty. Haven't tried the other one.

The Robainas are very much like Montecristos. Infact, if memory serves me correct they are made in the same sweatsh... I mean factory.

On a side note, would it be legal for me to mail a Cuban cigar to someone in the US?

The Reaper
07-20-2004, 18:58
On a side note, would it be legal for me to mail a Cuban cigar to someone in the US?

No.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
07-20-2004, 19:07

No.

On the other hand, I believe it is legal to remove the rings (labels) from the cigars and mail them to someone together with the empty box.

It is not legal to mail the cigars themselves. As an aside, I do not know how a customs official would be able to identify the origin of a package of unmarked cigars.

brewmonkey
07-20-2004, 20:16
Jesus christ, brew, don't you ever just drink to get drunk? LOL

I actually have not done that in some time. The last time I remember being drunk was at the GABF in 2001. I ended up missing the tram back to the hotel and had to traverse LoDo all the way from like 22 & Blake down to 14th & Stout. While it is not that far of a walk and it was early October so it was nice and cool out, I somehow figured it was way to warm for pants. The fact that I woke up in my own bed at the hotel instead of in the custody of the Denver PD is still somewhat of a mystery. I actually think I had alcohol poisoning and spent a few hours that day in a dark cold room with a bottle of water and a bagel. Of course it did not stopm me from going back to the festival that night and having some more.

Now when I drink it is usually 2 or 3 and that's all. Of course most of what I drink is 8% so that is more like a 6-pack in terms of alcoholic content.

Edit- just remembered that we were smoking cigars that night. We spent part of the evening at The Falling Rock Taproom. It was probably those damned evil wicked cigars that did me in. :D

myclearcreek
07-21-2004, 08:45
While I do not smoke cigars or anything else :p , when I go to the local mall, I visit the cigar store and just walk around inhaling. It reminds me of my grandfather, who only chewed his cigars and never lit them. I have considered buying one just to have around.

Bravo1-3
07-22-2004, 01:03
Partagas
CAO
La Perla Habana

It pissed me off when cigars were suddenly cool for a few years. Decent wrappers went way too high. I enjoyed it more just being a content pariah before they were "in".

Huey14
07-22-2004, 03:01
I'm unfit enough as it is without smoking that shit :)

Air.177
07-22-2004, 10:44
Smoked a Hoyo De Monterrey Excalibur the other night, Very Bueno if I may say so.

I am also picking up a new Humidor today or tomorrow, Will post pics.

Roguish Lawyer
08-06-2004, 16:21
Just picked up a couple Macanudo Vintage Cabinet Selection 1984s. Will report back if I ever smoke them. LOL

Air.177
08-06-2004, 16:38
Where - if I may ask - would one find such things?

brewmonkey
08-06-2004, 17:53
Just picked up a couple Macanudo Vintage Cabinet Selection 1984s. Will report back if I ever smoke them. LOL

You bought something that you might not smoke?

At least tell me you will smoke one and put the rest up.

Air.177
08-06-2004, 18:02
You bought something that you might not smoke?

At least tell me you will smoke one and put the rest up.

I wasn't going to question him, but since someone else has mentioned it, I agree with Brew; at least smoke one and see if the others are worth saving.

brewmonkey
08-06-2004, 18:55
I can see putting some aside for later as I do that with some of the beers I get.

Roguish Lawyer
08-07-2004, 07:08
I can see putting some aside for later as I do that with some of the beers I get.

They are in the humidor for eventual smoking. I'll smoke them, but I don't know when. They are already 20 years old; they won't go bad!

I got them at a shop in NY. They are not easy to get, but I'm sure various places have them. You might try googling.

Bravo1-3
08-07-2004, 21:25
Bought a box of AVO Signature Robusto's this morning. Good cigars for a mid-price smoke. Strong, but not bitter or overpowering. Not one to smoke everyday, and I couldn't imagine smoking one on an empty stomach.

Air.177
08-16-2004, 17:55
They are in the humidor for eventual smoking. I'll smoke them, but I don't know when. They are already 20 years old; they won't go bad!

I got them at a shop in NY. They are not easy to get, but I'm sure various places have them. You might try googling.

Have you smoked any cigars that have been aged that long before?

Does it really make that much of a difference?

I know that with the Fuente Opus Xs, a nice 6 month + rest improves them tremendously, but I would think that 20 years or more may be excessive.

Just wondering.

Roguish Lawyer
08-17-2004, 10:40
Have you smoked any cigars that have been aged that long before?

Does it really make that much of a difference?

I know that with the Fuente Opus Xs, a nice 6 month + rest improves them tremendously, but I would think that 20 years or more may be excessive.

Just wondering.

No, and I don't know. This is my first venture into old cigars. I'll let you know what I think.

Team Sergeant
08-17-2004, 11:59
Anyone like CAO?

Yes, CAO Cameroon L'Anniversaire and Cohiba Red Dot.

Great smokes while golfing or fishing!

Air.177
08-17-2004, 12:03
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
Yes, CAO Cameroon L'Anniversaire and Cohiba Red Dot.

Great smokes while golfing or fishing!

Thanks TS, One of the local shops is having a big CAO promotion on Friday, Something about buy X number get X number free. I'll have to check out the L'Anniversarie, never had one before.

SP5IC
01-28-2005, 17:41
Okey dokey, what is your favorite legal cigar? I am a fan of several different brands/models. The Romeo y Julieta belicosos are good, they're excellent in Spain (read Cuban). Can't wait for my week in Canada this summer....

Roguish Lawyer
01-28-2005, 18:53
Okey dokey, what is your favorite legal cigar? I am a fan of several different brands/models. The Romeo y Julieta belicosos are good, they're excellent in Spain (read Cuban). Can't wait for my week in Canada this summer....

I merged your thread with this old one. I recently bought and tried a bunch of interesting ones. I'll try to remember to add something about them when I have some time.

Roguish Lawyer
01-28-2005, 19:27
I also like the Hemingways. Better than the Opus X in fact. You are a man of fine taste!

I like them better than the Fuente Don Carlos too. Go figure.

Roguish Lawyer
01-28-2005, 19:29

Almost forgot. I smoked one. It was smoooooooooooottttttttttthhhhhhhhhhh. :D

Roguish Lawyer
01-28-2005, 19:32
Tried some Maker's Mark cigars. Not bad. They age them in a closed room with open barrels of Maker's Mark to flavor them. Got them at a really good little cigar shop in the Charlotte airport. Also got some other interesting stuff there that is still in the humidor. One is a Ghurka which is aged with brandy like the Maker's Mark ones above. Got some Davidoff Milleniums from the shop I like in NY, but have not tried them yet.

Roguish Lawyer
03-17-2005, 19:23
Got me a full box of Fuente Hemingway Masterpieces today! :lifter

(Sorry about the photo quality -- my cameraphone sucks.)

lrd
07-21-2006, 11:02
The other half and I have an anniversary coming up, so I'm shopping for cigars. Since Cubans are out, I've ordered a box of his "stand-by" -- Rocky Patel Vintage 1990.

I also want to put together an assortment of new ones for him to try. I've made note of those already suggested here, but thought I'd bump this for suggestions.

Thanks.

badcarma
07-21-2006, 11:31
Im a big cigar smoker, on a regular day I smoke CAOs.

vsvo
07-21-2006, 12:35
For me, regular smokes are Padrón (a great value) and Hoya De Monterrey Excalibur (and/or Excalibur 1066). Special smokes are Paul Garmirian (http://www.pgcigars.com/) and Fuente Hemingway Short Story.

On our last road trip to NC we stopped at the big outlet off I-40 near Greensboro. I picked up several bundles of the JR Alternative cigars, which are supposed to "approximate" the taste of the great brands. They seem good enough as an everyday smoke to my barbaric palate. However, when I brought some over to my brother-in-law the cigar snob, he damn near kicked me out of the house.:D

x SF med
07-21-2006, 13:10
A few years ago I went to Aruba and got the chance to enjoy a few Cuban Cohibas, not the massive "Dons", they're just too much. Cohibas are a nice cigar. Dunhill does a pretty fair job too.

Ken Brock
07-21-2006, 19:19
Rocky Patel vintage 1990

CAO - MX2, Soprano, Criollo, and Brazilia

Carlos Torano - 1916 Cameroon and Virtuoso

Juan Lopez

Victor Sinclair - Legacy (box pressed maduro)

Onyx

Fonseca

Anything from Arturo Fuente

Anything from Padron, but the 1964 Anniversary is out of this world

Drew Estates - Natural line

Drew Estates - ACID line - Acid One, Acid Five,

Drew Estates/Rocky Patel - Java

H. Upmann Vintage Cameroon

Romeo y Julieta - Resever Maduro

Oliva - Grand Cameroon

badcarma
07-21-2006, 20:44
Ken Brock, I really like the CAO Sopranos I even have one of the soprano edition boxes of cigars.

Ken Brock
07-22-2006, 06:00
Ken Brock, I really like the CAO Sopranos I even have one of the soprano edition boxes of cigars.

I've only had a couple but they all were great. They're kinda pricey, but my local cigar store gives me 50% off on those just because he's a buddy

I don't know if it's true or not, but the Sopranos are supposed to have tobacco from 5 countries in them. Regardless, they are quite tasty

Five-O
07-22-2006, 08:09
Ashton is a nice mild/medium cigar. I prefer the corona because its a little smaller and thinner. I usually do not have 45 minutes to devote to smoking...the corona is finished in 15-20 minutes.

badcarma
07-22-2006, 10:09
I did'nt hear about the 5 different tobacco's ken. But since its the old B day today think ill pick up a new stogie.:D

Jack Moroney (RIP)
07-22-2006, 11:29
The other half and I have an anniversary coming up, so I'm shopping for cigars. Since Cubans are out, I've ordered a box of his "stand-by" -- Rocky Patel Vintage 1990.

I also want to put together an assortment of new ones for him to try. I've made note of those already suggested here, but thought I'd bump this for suggestions.

Thanks.

I understand that these are the favorities of the American Dental Association:D

lrd
07-23-2006, 11:10
Thanks for the suggestions.

One more question: when you are trying out a new cigar, how many do you like to buy?

The online sample packs come in 3s and 5s. Does it take you more than one cigar to decide if you like it?

I understand that these are the favorities of the American Dental Association:D
Those are the ones I'll be "smoking." :D

Ken Brock
07-23-2006, 12:41
Thanks for the suggestions.

One more question: when you are trying out a new cigar, how many do you like to buy?

The online sample packs come in 3s and 5s. Does it take you more than one cigar to decide if you like it?

Those are the ones I'll be "smoking." :D

when I started, I was buying the 5 pack samplers online. I found it was easier and better to find a local place and pick two from there. I found that it saved money and the cigars were better. I got some turds from some of the online places, some were molded and some were dried out.

Matta mile
08-18-2006, 13:19
I smoke cigars, probably too many.
I like the medium to full bodied ..ie Vegas 5, Africa, Onyx, or for everyday Flor de Oliva from Nicauragua. Lots of good web sites to order from. Heads up on taxes.

mffjm8509
09-12-2006, 20:21
I missed this thread! I cant believe it!

I'm also a fan of Hemmingways and CAO. Just finished a CAO Cameroon 5x50 this evening.

Here's what's in my humidor now:

CAO Brazillia Gold
CAO L'anniversay Cameroon Robusto
5 Vegas Gold Robusto
Kahlua, by Drew Estate (I bought it for the wife....but going to try one myself )
Arturo Fuente Rothschild
Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Short Story
Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Best Seller
Punch Grand Cru

RL and boys, Your comments on my stash are welcomed..........

mp

Matta mile
09-12-2006, 20:54
MMFJM8509,
You have quite a stash going!
A cigar for every mood and time throughout the day.
Something that I have learned is that depending on how much time I have to smoke and how much I have eaten (or drank), often dertermines the cigar I will enjoy the most. Recently I picked up some fairly full bodied Consuegras for an inexpensive smoke for when I have eaten an have a few minutes to myself. The Drew estate products mix things up nicely particularly in the AM.
Good luck and enjoy!
MM

Roguish Lawyer
05-31-2007, 15:33
I missed this thread! I cant believe it!

I'm also a fan of Hemmingways and CAO. Just finished a CAO Cameroon 5x50 this evening.

Here's what's in my humidor now:

CAO Brazillia Gold
CAO L'anniversay Cameroon Robusto
5 Vegas Gold Robusto
Kahlua, by Drew Estate (I bought it for the wife....but going to try one myself )
Arturo Fuente Rothschild
Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Short Story
Arturo Fuente Hemmingway Best Seller
Punch Grand Cru

RL and boys, Your comments on my stash are welcomed..........

mp

M -

Sorry I missed this before. I haven't tried the 5 Vegas or the Kahlua, but the rest I like!

Ken Brock
05-31-2007, 15:37
I've run across a few more good ones since this thread started.

The Rocky Patel Fusion (available from Cigars International) is a great cigar

The Exile cigars from Cuban Imports is a very flavorful maduro without any bite

Carlos Torano 1959 Exodus is one of my favorites too

abc_123
06-03-2007, 15:35
I'm a guy who doesn't smoke a lot of cigars but does appreciate the good ones that I've been given or have smoked on a special occasion.

A good little "everyday" cigar that someone with more cigar experience than me turned me onto is the Petri Toscanelli (5-pack).

These little guys are the ones that you see Clint Eastwood smoking/chewing on in all his spaghetti westerns. I'll leave the full review to someone who smokes enough to know how to describe what cigars taste like (other than burning dried plant material) but they are (in my opinion) a "everyday" type of smoke that is not too strong and are small enough to not entail a lifetime commitment once you put a match to one.

Remington Raidr
06-03-2007, 16:51
Others know I smoke cigars and I am offered samples which I politely accept and then discreetly "re-gift" when I can. I ONLY smoke Hoya de Monterry Presada Oscuros in the maduro wrapper, box-pressed. I used a field expident humidor (tupperware box with moisture stick in the trunk of my car) so that I am never out. I buy them by the box because local stores don't seem to carry this model.

In the event of America Beyond Thunderdome I might bend and smoke a Fuente 858 in the maduro wrapper. But it would really have to be bad, like Hilary is elected . . .:D

Noslack71
06-03-2007, 17:04
Partagas Limited Reserve # II have always been very good and, worth a try.

Noslack

Rogue
06-13-2007, 06:07
Nat Sherman OMERTA. Very bold cigar. Great with a glass of peaty Laiphroig to unwind in the evening.

Don
06-17-2007, 20:09
Chateau Fuente Maduro

Partagas Black Label Bravos

Punch Rare Carojos

Infantry44
06-19-2007, 14:02
Just found this thread, hope it hasn't petered out...

Fuente (Anejo, OpusX (R & M), Don Carlos, Hemi's (C & M), Sungrowns, 858 (M))
Padron (Thousand Series (M), '64 (M), Fumas)
Ashton (VSG & Aged Maduro)
La Gloria Cubana (Serie R)
CAO (Brazilia & Maduros)
Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970
La Flor Dominicana Chisel (M)
El Rico Habano (M)

That list rounds out the majority of my humidor. Of what is listed, I typically enjoy the Robusto & Torpedo size.

Swamp
06-26-2007, 07:14
I'm very partial to the COHIBA EXTRA VIGOROSO when you can find them!! They are great with a Murphy's Oatmeal Stout....