PDA

View Full Version : Transportation Security Administration, on the JOB!!!

Team Sergeant
11-04-2009, 20:40
This guy and his misfit steal over 1000 pieces of luggage from one of the busiest airports in the nation.
He must have made a 1000 trips into the SKY HARBOR airport baggage area.
TSA agents EVERYWHERE, cameras EVERYWHERE and yet they steal over 1000 pieces of luggage.
Clothing and weapons etc etc etc right in from of the Transportation Security Administration.
Someone should be flipping hamburgers art Wendy's instead of head of security for SKY HARBOR Airport.
Sleep well, the Transportation Security Administration is on the job!!!! Your tax dollars at work. We sure have some morons at the helm. Pray the real bad guys don't show up again.

TS

Transportation Security Administration (TSA) protects the nation's transportation systems to ensure freedom of movement for people and commerce.

Stolen Luggage Found at W. Valley Home
Pair accused of stealing 1,000 pieces of luggage
Updated: Wednesday, 04 Nov 2009, 9:22 AM MST
Published : Tuesday, 03 Nov 2009, 9:42 AM MST

WADDELL, Ariz. - It's one of the most frustrating things that can happen while traveling -- your luggage is lost and doesn't arrive at your destination.

On Friday morning, hundreds of suitcases, still tagged, were found at a home north of Phoenix in Waddell.

Keith King, 61, and Stacy King, 38, are accused of stealing the luggage from Sky Harbor Airport. The Kings were arrested at their home and were charged with burglary and tampering with evidence.

Police say the Kings are suspects in an investigation involving thousands of suitcases stolen from Sky Harbor. Tuesday, Police officers are loading suitcases into trucks to bring in for evidence.

Police were tipped off to the suspicious activity after an airport officer caught King ripping off a bag at the airport weeks ago. Then, authorities found that King had visited the airport more than 60 times recently but never boarded a plane.

Neighbors say they noticed something strange going on at the Kings' residence.

"They'd take their trailer out at sunset, come home at 4 o'clock in the morning... it was a horse trailer, they don't have horses over there, so it was very suspicious what was happening," said neighbor Eugene Huneycutt.

Another neighbor said the Kings' held yard sales often, selling luggage.

Officials at Sky Harbor airport are looking at whether changes need to be made to their baggage security. Sky Harbor's Debra Ostreicher says its been years since anyone was checking baggage claim tickets, but it's possible the practice could be implemented again.

If you think you might be a victim of stolen luggage, call (602) 495-7808.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/local/stolen_luggage_110309

LongWire
11-04-2009, 21:20
"Another neighbor said the Kings' held yard sales often, selling luggage."

TS- Don't be pissed that you missed out on some good Yard Sales!!! :p

Ret10Echo
11-05-2009, 06:02
This guy and his misfit steal over 1000 pieces of luggage from one of the busiest airports in the nation.
He must have made a 1000 trips into the SKY HARBOR airport baggage area.
TSA agents EVERYWHERE, cameras EVERYWHERE and yet they steal over 1000 pieces of luggage.
Clothing and weapons etc etc etc right in from of the Transportation Security Administration.
Someone should be flipping hamburgers art Wendy's instead of head of security for SKY HARBOR Airport.
Sleep well, the Transportation Security Administration is on the job!!!! Your tax dollars at work. We sure have some morons at the helm. Pray the real bad guys don't show up again.

TS

I'm sure Mz Napalatanano will provide a statement and briefing to a Hill staffer...

The other option of course is that you could have FPS providing security instead :D

Pete
11-05-2009, 06:20
I've found it's best to move straight from the A/C to the baggage claim area.

Might make a fast pit stop but I usually get to the baggage claim area before the luggage does.

Stand back sometimes and let the crowd grab first but I spot my bag and keep an eye on it while it goes round and round.

At least I only have to worry about the crooks that work for the airline.

Red Flag 1
11-05-2009, 07:28
I've found it's best to move straight from the A/C to the baggage claim area.

Might make a fast pit stop but I usually get to the baggage claim area before the luggage does.

Stand back sometimes and let the crowd grab first but I spot my bag and keep an eye on it while it goes round and round.

At least I only have to worry about the crooks that work for the airline.

And, no matter how long and complex the route to baggage claim, I always get there before my baggage.

RF 1

TOMAHAWK9521
11-05-2009, 08:59
And, no matter how long and complex the route to baggage claim, I always get there before my baggage.

RF 1

Unless, of course, you are trying to get through someplace like Narita, outside of Tokyo.

Ret10Echo
11-05-2009, 10:06

RF 1

It takes time to root through all those bags. Perhaps if you packed nicer stuff or maybe some gifts they would reconsider the contents of your bag. :p

Red Flag 1
11-05-2009, 12:09
It takes time to root through all those bags. Perhaps if you packed nicer stuff or maybe some gifts they would reconsider the contents of your bag. :p

Nicer stuff is carry on! Have flown with with Martin guitars and china as carry on; not easy but possible.

In 1970, there were TV commercials that showed an ape doing his/her best to destroy a suit case. It seems to me that the "ape" has evolved some!

RF 1

Richard
11-05-2009, 12:35
Don't know about Phoenix - but TSA isn't anywhere near the baggage claim areas for the airports I frequent - DFW/SFO/SMA/ABQ/SLC/DEN - they are all at the entry control points into the restricted concourse areas.

Dallas Love Field used to have airline personnel at the baggage claim exit points and you had to show a matching tag on luggage and stub w/airline ticket to be able to exit with the luggage - hasn't been a requirement for a couple of years now.

Looks as if somebody decided to ignore the baggage claim 'honor' system...yet again. Shocking. :rolleyes:

Y va tan…;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Team Sergeant
11-05-2009, 12:57
Don't know about Phoenix - but TSA isn't anywhere near the baggage claim areas for the airports I frequent - DFW/SFO/SMA/ABQ/SLC/DEN - they are all at the entry control points into the restricted concourse areas.

I was waiting for someone to mention that, TSA has cameras everywhere including the baggage area. In fact as you deplane you go down an escalator to the baggage area that has some extremely sophicated electronic devices you must pass in front of....;) They are "watching" you leave......

In the baggage area there are "airport police" that keep traffic moving, want to bet some of these airport police have seen this guy a few hundred times, all with different bags and no one sounded and no alarm bells went off? I guess showing up about 1000 times is not considered "suspicious behaviour" :rolleyes:

Sleep safe America...... the TSA is on guard.

DemoMan
11-05-2009, 13:05
TSA Should partner up with the US Military Special Forces Reserve!

Richard
11-05-2009, 13:34
Sleep safe America...... the TSA is on guard.

More likely - "Sleep safe TSA...America is on guard."

Based on my experiences with the size 2 hats of the TSA - I suspect that agency is where the military recruiters send the 75% who are ineligible for military service because they are too stupid.

I saw a news report this morning which showed a reporter entering a baggage claim area, acting as if she belonged there and talking on her cell phone, just picked up a bag and walked out with it - nobody noticed.

Surveillance only works when the operator behind the viewing monitor is awake and capable of paying attention. :(

Richard

Ret10Echo
11-05-2009, 14:12
Nicer stuff is carry on! Have flown with with Martin guitars and china as carry on; not easy but possible.

In 1970, there were TV commercials that showed an ape doing his/her best to destroy a suit case. It seems to me that the "ape" has evolved some!

RF 1

LOL...don't know about the "Ape" evolving...but with most people not locking their bags it is much easier to gain access.

Utah Bob
11-05-2009, 14:33

Dallas Love Field used to have airline personnel at the baggage claim exit points and you had to show a matching tag on luggage and stub w/airline ticket to be able to exit with the luggage - hasn't been a requirement for a couple of years now.

Looks as if somebody decided to ignore the baggage claim 'honor' system...yet again. Shocking. :rolleyes:

Y va tan…;)

I remember Vegas had the same setup for awhile. Not anymore. Need some luggage and prizes? Just go out to the nearest big airport walk over to baggage claim and take your pick. You could even get a Redcap to take it out to your car for you. Virtually no chance of getting caught.
But just try to sneak some extra shampoo in your carry on......:mad:

Ret10Echo
11-05-2009, 14:38
I remember Vegas had the same setup for awhile. Not anymore. Need some luggage and prizes? Just go out to the nearest big airport walk over to baggage claim and take your pick. You could even get a Redcap to take it out to your car for you. Virtually no chance of getting caught.
But just try to sneak some extra shampoo in your carry on......:mad:

Wonder how much the airlines could save if they stopped providing baggage claim tickets. Of course overseas I have been to airports that would not allow you to exit the terminal unless you presented security with your matching claim ticket.

Once again it's all for show. The Government standard.

dr. mabuse
11-06-2009, 17:41
I fondly remember dining at Chili's with a friend at DFW airport years ago and we were provided with big steel knives with serrated blades so we could saw away at our dinners.

I picked up his knife, then mine, and holding 2 knives asked him if I was imagining things or were we not already on the "secure" side of the gate????:rolleyes:

echoes
11-07-2009, 15:16
I fondly remember dining at Chili's with a friend at DFW airport years ago and we were provided with big steel knives with serrated blades so we could saw away at our dinners.

I picked up his knife, then mine, and holding 2 knives asked him if I was imagining things or were we not already on the "secure" side of the gate????:rolleyes:

Okay well, having flown numerous times in and out of DFW...that is just rediculous, seriously.:eek: How in the hell does the goverment of Our great nation come up with TSA rules and reg's??? My inquiring mind would like to know...

Holly:munchin

SF_BHT
11-07-2009, 18:40
I was talking about this problem in the office yesterday and one of the SA's told me that in Mar he was arriving at National in DC and as he waited for his bag and work Pelican he watched a guy pick up the pelican and start to make a Bee line for the exit. He intercepted him and said that he had his bag and showed him the tag. The guy argued and then gave it to him and my co-worker knew something was wrong and asked to see his ticket and bag tag so he could help. The guy got aggressive and to his surprise he was badged and detained. When the airport authority's were contacted (Not TSA) they did not seam very interested. My Co-worker called our HQ and a SA came from the TF office there and took the guy. Theft of FED equipment is not looked very kindly by us. They pressed the issue and during the investigation this guy had been doing this for over 30 days. This guy was from Ghana and drove an airport bus part time.

As of the result of this I recommend that you get to the baggage claim fast as vultures are there to pick off one of the first bag's and get out before the main body of passengers gets there after greeting and using the bathroom.

TSA is only responsible from the security point and inside. Counter/entrance and baggage claim are the airport authority's security problem. Hell TSA can not even detain/arrest anyone. They wined and cried and were given a badge but they are not sworn. They are watcheMen and the LEO's at the airport are the true authority. Hire the handicap and you get TSA.....

Ret10Echo
11-08-2009, 06:24
Okay well, having flown numerous times in and out of DFW...that is just rediculous, seriously.:eek: How in the hell does the goverment of Our great nation come up with TSA rules and reg's??? My inquiring mind would like to know...

In general what I have seen occur is a process something like this;

1. Good idea comes along to do 'X'

2. Suggestion to do 'X' is brought before a committee

3. Work Group is established to discuss 'X' and make recommendation

4. Members of various Departments and Agencies comprise Work Group and are instructed to ensure that Department/Agencie's turf is not infringed upon by new idea 'X'

5. Each and every detailed point of 'X' is given to compromise and special interest (Congresscritters are not going to tip-over the rice bowls of their constituents, in this case State and local LE)

6. Resulting 'Y' has little to nothing to do with 'X' and is generally a very thin candy coating that is pointless and very expensive.

7. American people soak up the tab for 'Y' and it grows into an enourmous bureacracy.

TSA, along with other organizations created post 9-11, is dysfunctional by design.
You may thank your elected officials for that.

echoes
11-08-2009, 14:10
In general what I have seen occur is a process something like this;

1. Good idea comes along to do 'X'

2. Suggestion to do 'X' is brought before a committee

3. Work Group is established to discuss 'X' and make recommendation

4. Members of various Departments and Agencies comprise Work Group and are instructed to ensure that Department/Agencie's turf is not infringed upon by new idea 'X'

5. Each and every detailed point of 'X' is given to compromise and special interest (Congresscritters are not going to tip-over the rice bowls of their constituents, in this case State and local LE)

6. Resulting 'Y' has little to nothing to do with 'X' and is generally a very thin candy coating that is pointless and very expensive.

7. American people soak up the tab for 'Y' and it grows into an enourmous bureacracy.

TSA, along with other organizations created post 9-11, is dysfunctional by design.
You may thank your elected officials for that.

Sir,

Thank you for the response, as it is very thought provoking to read...:lifter

And BHT, actually, this whole thread is in a way. Guess I could categorizing myself as one of the "stupid masses" that would not think twice that some person would steal my luggage, or pull out a chillis steak house knife on the plane, and try and hijack it. :confused:

But, in all fairness, since 9-11, I think the "shoe-bomber" scenario would take place in flight, and I would try and be first in line to tackle the sonofabitch who tried something...but that is just my feisty self. Hell no am I gonna not try and do something...it's life and death we're talking about after all...and it seems the TSA is too busy punching cards, and typing reports to actually do any security.

Ret10Echo
01-12-2010, 08:14
:eek:

TSA: Passenger carries ammo on plane in Milwaukee
January 12, 2010

By TODD RICHMOND
Associated Press Writer

MADISON, Wis. (AP) - A passenger inadvertently carried shotgun shells onto a Dallas-bound Midwest Airlines plane at Milwaukee's airport on Monday before he realized his mistake and alerted flight attendants, authorities said.

The man, who was not identified, did not mean any harm, saying he had forgotten that the ammunition was in his carryon bags when he boarded the flight, Transportation Security Administration spokesman Jim Fotenos said.

TSA agents turned the ammunition over to local police and sent the man back for another security search. They then allowed him to reboard and the plane left for Dallas later Monday.

"The passenger was interviewed and rescreened with negative findings," Fotenos said in a statement. "The passenger stated that he inadvertently brought the prohibited items onboard the plane and self-disclosed them when he realized they were in his possession."

Fotenos said the TSA is reviewing how the passenger got the ammunition through pre-boarding security searches. He declined to identify the man or comment further. TSA policy prohibits passengers from having firearms or ammunition in their carryon luggage.

Oak Creek, Wis. based-Midwest Airlines declined to comment.

The incident comes less than a week after a grand jury indicted Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab with trying to use chemical explosives stashed in his underwear to blow up a Northwest Airlines plane as it landed in Detroit on Christmas Day. Since then, the TSA and airlines have boosted security in airports in the U.S. and around the world.

Another passenger on Monday's Midwest Airlines flight 1669, Doug Bell, 50, of Hales Corners, Wis., said the plane was pushing back from the gate around 8 a.m. when the pilot came on the intercom and said there was a security problem and the plane had to return to the gate. The pilot said a passenger had notified a flight attendant he was a gun dealer and had shells in his bag, Bell said.

"There was a murmur on the plane," Bell said. "The whole plane was wondering what was going on. It isn't everyday the pilot tells you somebody got on the plane and brought shells with him. ... I couldn't believe it."

The man got off the plane and a TSA agent searched the luggage compartment above his seat, Bell said. The man then got back on board, and the plane took off after about an hour's delay, he said.

Bells said he was shocked TSA agents didn't search the entire plane because the man could have dropped off something in another seat as he walked back to his during boarding.

"Thankfully the man was an honorable man," Bell told The Associated Press in a telephone interview after the plane landed. (But) what if he wasn't so honorable? I'm telling you, security isn't working."

The Milwaukee County Sheriff's Department patrols General Mitchell International. Department spokeswoman Kim Brooks didn't immediately return a message. Airport spokeswoman Pat Rowe referred questions to Fotenos.

abc_123
01-12-2010, 11:52
I know TSA has more than their fair share of problems, but dammed if they don't keep finding my pocket folding knife if I forget and have it tossed in a carryon bag. I've been busted 3 times over the years.

Ret10Echo
01-12-2010, 12:01
TSA fails to understand that when those wishing to do harm have breached your perimeter (security screening) it does not mean you have them surrounded.

echoes
01-12-2010, 14:48
TSA fails to understand that when those wishing to do harm have breached your perimeter (security screening) it does not mean you have them surrounded.

Very well said Sir!:eek:

Wonder if this incident will cross the current administrations desk...Can hear it now..."Well, we've just had a systemic failure that has occurred..." blah, blah, blah,...as the hurses pull up to the wreckage...

Just my .02:munchin

Holly

Ret10Echo
01-14-2010, 06:23
I know TSA has more than their fair share of problems, but dammed if they don't keep finding my pocket folding knife if I forget and have it tossed in a carryon bag. I've been busted 3 times over the years.

See now, if it were a handgun, you would be ok....

BOZEMAN, Mont. – Officials say security screeners at a Bozeman-area airport failed to spot a gun in a passenger's luggage last month, but the man turned himself in when he realized his error.

Transportation Security Administration spokesman Dwayne Baird said in a written statement Wednesday that the unidentified man became aware that he had the firearm in his carryon luggage as he was boarding Dec. 13 at Gallatin Field.

The gun was confiscated and the passenger was allowed to continue on the flight.

The incident occurred nearly two weeks before the alleged Christmas Day attempt to blow up a U.S. airliner reawakened widespread concern over airline safety.

Still, Gallatin Field Board Chairman Dick Roehm says he's disappointed at the lapse and the airport is looking into turning to a private company to handle security at the airport.

Dozer523
01-14-2010, 07:04

I picked up his knife, then mine, and holding 2 knives asked him if I was imagining things or were we not already on the "secure" side of the gate????:rolleyes: Fer Cryin' out loud. DFW is Texas!
Haven't you heard of the "Cattleman's Exception"? It's Whut's Fer Dinner!

BOZEMAN, Mont. – Officials say security screeners at a Bozeman-area airport failed to spot a gun in a passenger's luggage last month, but the man turned himself in when he realized his error.
Same, same! No foul if you call your own. The Montana Grizzly Exception.

If you lives west of the Mississippi you would understand.

nmap
02-01-2010, 14:22
Another of TSA's finest. The kind that will surely be diligent in using the new electronic strip-search machines.

LINK (http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/breakingnews/os-tsa-security-myspace-orlando-20100201,0,1706218.story)

TSA officer accused of child sex bragged on MySpace
Deputies said he asked victim to be his sex slave.
By Walter Pacheco, Orlando Sentinel

12:42 PM EST, February 1, 2010

The Orlando International Airport TSA security officer arrested on charges of molesting a minor is a fan of bondage and sadomasochism, according to his MySpace page.

Charles Henry Bennett's MySpace profile identifies him as "Master Charles or Sir." The online page shows the 57-year-old airport security guard has "many years experience" as a bondage and sadomasochism master and is looking to meet people, especially "submissive females."

Officials with the Transportation Security Administration today said Bennett has been working security at the airport since 2002. A spokeswoman at the federal agency said officials are investigating the allegations.

"The Transportation Security Administration is aware of the arrest of an Orlando Transportation Security Officer. TSA takes the allegations very seriously," TSA spokeswoman Sari Koshetz wrote in an e-mail to the Orlando Sentinel. "TSA has initiated an investigation into the facts of this case. We will take all appropriate action to address this situation."

Orange County Sheriff's Office deputies arrested Bennett at his Winter Garden home late Thursday night. The arrest report shows the victim, whose age was not disclosed, told deputies Bennett asked her to be his sex slave more than three years ago. She also said he had fondled and kissed her several times against her will.

Department of Children and Families spokeswoman Carrie Hoeppner said officials opened an investigation into the allegations against Bennett on Jan. 25. DCF child protective service investigators are working to contact the child's biological parents.

Hoeppner said Bennett was in a "caregiver role" at the time of the allegations, but the victim had not been living with him.

"The family already had an alternative living arrangement for the child which best accommodates her individual needs…" Hoeppner said. "So there was no need to place the child in a foster home."

Jail records show he faces a charge of lewd and lascivious molestation of a minor and another count of lewd and lascivious conduct.

Investigators are looking into the possibility of other charges.

He is being held at the Orange County Jail without bond, records show.

Florida Department of Corrections records do not indicate Bennett has a prior criminal record.

Ret10Echo
02-01-2010, 19:57
So exactly how did this get past the folks doing the clearance adjudication is what I want to know?

(DHS does their own adjudication by the way)

Sigaba
02-12-2010, 19:08
Source is here (http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2010/02/tsa-federal-director-at-lax-unexpectedly-resigns.html).Federal security chief at LAX unexpectedly steps down
February 12, 2010 | 4:07 pm

Larry Fetters, a former LAPD deputy chief who was federal security director for Los Angeles International Airport since 2003, has unexpectedly retired from the high-profile job, officials said Friday.

A spokeswoman for the Transportation Security Administration said the retirement was effective Saturday.

The move came as a surprise to some at LAX, and a spokeswoman did not offer a reason for Fetters' departure. One source said he had been planning his exit for some time.

The resignation follows the arrest in January of three TSA employees in connection with an investigation into counterfeited parking passes at an LAX employee parking lot. During the probe, investigators found a videotape that allegedly showed TSA employees using illegal drugs.

Marshall E. McClain, who heads the union representing 425-member LAX police force, said he was shocked by the resignation, which he said leaves a void at the airport that is all the more disconcerting given that it has been identified as a major terrorist target.

“It’s very concerning to the airport police officers that an identified terrorist target is [without a] security director,” McClain said. “It’s compounded by the fact that TSA has been without a leader on the national level for 13 months.”At this rate, "follow the money" is going to become "follow the parking permits."

robert2854
02-12-2010, 19:22
I wonder if these guys stole my "Glad Bag designer luggage" Maybe they used it as a trash bag at the yard sale.