PDA

View Full Version : U.S. Needs Hit Squads, ‘Manhunting Agency’

Marina
11-03-2009, 20:11
I don't really know what to make of this. Maybe the report is an argument for a wider network, including LE, for domestic and non-lethal hunting. Something like what the DEA and others already do so well.

CIA director Leon Panetta got into hot water with Congress, after he revealed an agency program to hunt down and kill terrorists. A recent report from the U.S. military’s Joint Special Operations University argues that the CIA didn’t go far enough (.pdf). Instead, it suggests the American government should set up something like a “National Manhunting Agency” to go after jihadists, drug dealers, pirates and other enemies of the state.

America’s military, intelligence and law-enforcement agencies already devote thousands of people and billions of dollars to tracking down top terrorists and insurgents. But even the most successful of these efforts — like going after Iraqi militant leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi — have been “ad hoc” efforts, with units cobbled together from different corners of the government. Report author and retired Lt. Col. George Crawford instead would like to see a permanent group with clear authority, training, doctrine and technology to go after these dangerous individuals. These “manhunting teams would be standing formations, trained to pursue their designated quarry relentlessly for as long as required to accomplish the mission,” he writes.

Sometimes, that will mean operating “in uncooperative countries.” In those cases, the teams must be prepared “to act unilaterally, with no support or coordination with local authorities, in a manner similar to that employed by Israel’s Avner team in response to the Munich Olympics massacre.” (That was the controversial unit, fictionalized in Steven Spielberg’s movie, that allegedly roamed the world, assassinating Palestinian militants in response to the 1972 Olympic attack.)

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/11/us-needs-hit-squads-manhunting-agency-spec-ops-report/

Richard
11-03-2009, 20:34
Riiiiigggghhhhhhtttttttttttttt...

JJ_BPK
11-04-2009, 04:39
Crawford, who says he served as the “lead strategist” for developing U.S. Special Operations Command’s “advanced intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance capabilities for counter terrorism operations,” compares manhunting to “curling, the Winter Olympics sport. As a skater releases the heavy stone onto the ice, a few strokes from a broom can alter the speed and trajectory of the stone. Likewise, a small amount of precise influence or force employed at an early point in a developing situation might divert the trajectory of an event away from crisis or full-scale conflict.”
Danger,, Will Robinson,, get your tin hat,, pronto...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG0ochx16Dg

:rolleyes::eek::confused::mad:

My $00.0002

Utah Bob
11-04-2009, 08:27
Like the posse in Blazing Saddles?

Richard
11-04-2009, 08:47
Minority Report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol2i_Hax0HY

Richard

akv
11-04-2009, 10:05
A modern day Krypteia? I guess I'm just confused what constitutes assassination, if it's legal this election cycle? The CIA when it comes to killing terrorists might be wondering if the gloves are ordered on or off this week?
Perhaps I'm an outlier but as an American civilian I want our agencies and military hunting down terrorists by any means necessary. I don't want to know or need to know the details.

The Orwell quote comes to mind,

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "

Dozer523
11-04-2009, 10:26
The Orwell quote comes to mind,
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. "
So do these ones:
"War is war. The only good human being is a dead one."
"Big Brother is watching you."
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine a boot stamping on a human face - forever."

And, my favorite "Julia! Do it to Julia!"

PedOncoDoc
11-04-2009, 10:41
Minority Report.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol2i_Hax0HY

Richard

I see Minority Report as Wheaton meets the Blazing Saddles posse so we can have the best of both worlds. :D

Smokin Joe
11-04-2009, 11:15
I like the concept and despite the fact that we desperately need a unit that could work both CONUS and OCONUS I think our society and government is WAY to soft for it to ever grow wings. I think you would need multiple 9/11 type incidents in order for it to ever happen.

Just my .02 cents.

ZonieDiver
11-04-2009, 11:35
Like the posse in Blazing Saddles?

Yeah, kinda like this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbWg-mozGsU

Utah Bob
11-04-2009, 16:35
I thought that's what I.C.E. did. :D

ES 96
11-05-2009, 04:27
somewhere...out there...Jack Bauer is smiling....

Marina
11-05-2009, 15:35
I like the concept and despite the fact that we desperately need a unit that could work both CONUS and OCONUS I think our society and government is WAY to soft for it to ever grow wings. I think you would need multiple 9/11 type incidents in order for it to ever happen.

Just my .02 cents.

If the choice is between deploying massive numbers of troops to find/fix a flea, and using a civ-mil network within some lawful framework, then I think the taxpayers (and politicians) would prefer the cost effective method. Like what the French DST did with Carlos. Or Colombians and Raul Reyes. DEA and Viktor Bout. What the US Marshals already do (and, yes, ICE). Assistance from many but, broadly speaking, global cops vs. global guerrillas.

The JSOU report is one guy's opinion. Wired played it like it was a proposed policy.

Seems like a counterpoint to big nationbuilding efforts.

Blitzzz (RIP)
11-05-2009, 16:34
My hand is up for releasing Delta, SF teams, Seals and even some of us who feel fit enough to slaughter and let blood flow like a river. Let them know what a river of blood really looks like...

Added Note: Our present enemy is not surrounded by national bounderys and as such should be hunted and killed whereevery they are found. Any conutry not killing them or running then out needs to understand that WE will defend their borders, by eleminating the threats to their peace.

dr. mabuse
11-05-2009, 16:47
Or a tad closer to the point,

"PACIFIST: Those who 'abjure' violence can only do so because others are
committing violence on their behalf."

George Orwell 1945
Notes on Nationalism

ZonieDiver
11-06-2009, 00:54
"Cry havoc, and let slip the dogs of war"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz6phcRjgWw

Fiercely Loyal
11-06-2009, 13:14
... and even some of us who feel fit enough to slaughter and let blood flow like a river.

Does this mean I will get to come too?
I am here. Take me.

dennisw
11-06-2009, 13:28
You can track them down and kill them, but whatever you do, don't water board them. :confused:

Like what the French DST did with Carlos.

Hmmm.....Are we talking about Carlos the Jackal? The French may have grabbed Carlos, but they sure did not track him down. Hunting the Jackal, MSG Billy Waugh with Tim Keown.

Big-red
11-07-2009, 06:52
My hand is up for releasing Delta, SF teams, Seals and even some of us who feel fit enough to slaughter and let blood flow like a river. Let them know what a river of blood really looks like...

Added Note: Our present enemy is not surrounded by national bounderys and as such should be hunted and killed whereevery they are found. Any conutry not killing them or running then out needs to understand that WE will defend their borders, by eleminating the threats to their peace.

:eek:Wow.
I would hope as soldiers are Government Issued JOES that they understand they are property while serving and that they cannot go on killing rampages. I'd hope the Special Forces community understands that. They represent us the people. There is no fun in killing, and what you are suggessting is just crazy.
And no we shouldn't be defending other countries from terrorists let them worry about what happens in their borders. If they ask for help, then we send it but we should not have D-boys running around in Paris chasing muslim terrorists. Real life isn't like the movies.
And no I'm not a pacifist.

Utah Bob
11-07-2009, 08:07
I would hope as soldiers are Government Issued JOES that they understand they are property while serving and that they cannot go on killing rampages. I'd hope the Special Forces community understands that. They represent us the people. There is no fun in killing, and what you are suggessting is just crazy.
And no we shouldn't be defending other countries from terrorists let them worry about what happens in their borders. If they ask for help, then we send it but we should not have D-boys running around in Paris chasing muslim terrorists. Real life isn't like the movies.

And what do you know of "real life", son?

LongWire
11-07-2009, 08:08
:eek:Wow. Indeed
I would hope as soldiers are Government Issued JOES...... I volunteered of my own accord thanks!! that they understand they are property I Know you didn't just claim me as being property while serving and that they cannot go on killing rampages. You Have no Clue as to what service is, let alone an over-encumbered ROE on a 2-way range with overhead armchair quarterbacks.

I'd hope the Special Forces community understands that. You have not the slightest idea. They represent us the people. "We the people" don't generally go around saying "at University I learned".......

There is no fun in killing, and what you are suggessting Killin?What do you know about killin?" (in my Barnes from platoon accent) is just crazy. Crazy How? Like an enbed Islamist conspirator full blown U.S. traitor Psych Doc, who was afraid of combat (even though he wouldn't have been in any) going into a soldier readiness center and gunning down a room full of people that he was hired to help? Crazy like that? And no we shouldn't be defending other countries from terrorists let them worry about what happens in their borders. Guess the Government that issued us should ask you how to employ us? If they ask for help, then we send it but we should not have D-boys running around in Paris chasing muslim terrorists. And we don't, that's Team America's jurisdiction. Real life isn't like the movies. Wow, thanks

You've been here 24hrs and this is how you lead off??? You have no idea who we are and how we think, let alone express ideas, vent or even throw idea's around, even if they do sound crazy. Read more post less.

The Reaper
11-07-2009, 09:02

You now have our undivided attention.

Please elaborate and educate us on how to solve this problem.

TR

Richard
11-07-2009, 09:30
About Big-red

I want to join the Special Forces after University

Although I am leery of a 'hit squad' concept for a number of reasons...unless you enjoy failure, you might want to seriously reassess that goal and down-grade it to something more suitable to your recently demonstrated SA capabilities in this thread. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Big-red
11-07-2009, 09:47
Although I am leery of a 'hit squad' concept for a number of reasons...unless you enjoy failure, you might want to seriously reassess that goal and down-grade it to something more suitable to your recently demonstrated SA capabilities in this thread. ;)

Richard's $.02 :munchin

Yeah, you probably are right, being a murderer is not my type of thing.

I don't enjoy senseless killing. And since most SFers have proven themselves to be nothing more than killers worse than our enemies. I will reconsider, and enjoy the life of not ever having to kill because I'd like to.
You now have our undivided attention.

Please elaborate and educate us on how to solve this problem.

TR
I can't educate you or any of you. I hate indoctrinating people into what I believe is personal. But killing is a big no no:(

LongWire
11-07-2009, 09:49
Yeah, you probably are right, being a murderer is not my type of thing.

I don't enjoy senseless killing. And since most SFers have proven themselves to be nothing more than killers worse than our enemies. I will reconsider, and enjoy the life of not ever having to kill because I'd like to.

I can't educate you or any of you. I hate indoctrinating people into what I believe is personal. But killing is a big no no:(

I'm interested in what You Think that You Need to Be Indoctrinating anyone in.

Big-red
11-07-2009, 09:52
I'm interested in what You Think that You Need to Be Indoctrinating anyone in.

That's a secret.

Surgicalcric
11-07-2009, 09:58
...And since most SFers have proven themselves to be nothing more than killers worse than our enemies.

Speaking of indoctrination, seems you are a bit of a product of it yourself.

LongWire
11-07-2009, 10:02
I'm not sure you will last long enough to start your own little army.

I'm pretty sure that Mom and Dad overindulged your precocious nature.

This site isn't for You. Run along now with your airsoft buddies.

Have a Very SF Day.

Pete
11-07-2009, 10:03
..... I can't educate you or any of you. I hate indoctrinating people into what I believe is personal. But killing is a big no no:(

Child, the teamroom door is about to open.

dirtyshirt
11-07-2009, 10:04
"I want to join Special Forces after university"

and as interests it lists "video games,Reading, watching movies"

No PT,outside activities,like sports to keep in shape? Add,on top of that, a problem with Authority and those Senior to yourself?!?? Hmmm...I doubt whether this one even makes it into the Army,let alone S.F.

Sounds like the earlier thread about Americas kids being to fat,lame,and lazy to be accepted into the Military.

ES 96
11-07-2009, 10:11
Child, the teamroom door is about to open.

I just heard four clicks; Big-Red, you're swarming with dots dude...

Utah Bob
11-07-2009, 10:13
Adios kid.

Big-red
11-07-2009, 10:40
I just heard four clicks; Big-Red, you're swarming with dots dude...

oh oh, I'm dead.
I want to join Special Forces after university"

and as interests it lists "video games,Reading, watching movies"

No PT,outside activities,like sports to keep in shape? Add,on top of that, a problem with Authority and those Senior to yourself?!?? Hmmm...I doubt whether this one even makes it into the Army,let alone S.F.

Sounds like the earlier thread about Americas kids being to fat,lame,and lazy to be accepted into the Military. Of course I workout. Its just running but I prefer video games, reading, watching movies much better.

I don't have a problem with authority or senior people.

Surgicalcric
11-07-2009, 10:51
...I want to join Special Forces after university...

You should seriously consider another career field if you think "SF are killers worse than our enemies;" this job is obviously not for you.

You have started off on less than firm footing and its becoming more shaky with each of your posts. You would do well to do more reading and dont post until such a time that you have a clue about where you are and what you are talking about.

Crip

levinj
11-07-2009, 10:54
QPs, forgive me if I'm out of my lane. I'll return to my lurking after this.

Big-Red, I know you think you know a lot about the world. I certainly did a year ago, when I was still safe in college. I've only had a year to realize how little I knew about anything that I thought I was expert in. Many of these guys have had twenty or thirty years at their chosen craft (by the way, the one you say you want to pursue). That's longer than you or I have been alive.

Maybe you're a special case. Maybe you really do have the answers. But when a QP on this site asks you a question, you'd do well to answer it. And then absorb every bit of knowledge you can from their rebuttal, because these guys are addressing an issue that no one in the world is better-suited to respond to.

If you're incapable of learning from those wiser than you, I feel sorry for your parents. You've just cost them a fortune and for no gain.

ES 96
11-07-2009, 10:57
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=294703#post294703

...because I'am afraid of that mod.

And who might that be?

Inquiring minds want to know.....

longrange1947
11-07-2009, 11:07
Big Red, Let me guess, you voted for Obama and feel that all soldiers are chattel for your use and that they should not kill.

That you do not believe that in SF killing, but then SF should what, become helpers of the poor and downtrodden? :confused:

Your indoctrination of us is a secret, yet you have no life experiences with which to indoctrinate. You have a couple of professors that you look up to and they have indoctrinated you, but you refuse to believe that. Your desire to come into SF is not for the mission of SF but to indoctrinate us in your professors view of life. While he has not a single life experience except in the University while hanging around the intelligentsia of University life.

Son, you may wish to get a life and accumulate some "real" life experiences before you come into this arena spouting your "feelings".

On the main topic, my feelings, we are at war and as such, should do what ever is necessary to win. The alternative is totally unacceptable. To fight a war with our hands tied behind our backs has been attempted before and it was a failure of politics and will because of it.

Big Red, your hero professor is probably one of the ones that is now proud of his actions during that period. :rolleyes:

LongWire
11-07-2009, 11:09
And who might that be?

Big-Red, I know you think you know a lot about the world. I certainly did a year ago, when I was still safe in college. I've only had a year to realize how little I knew about anything that I thought I was expert in. Many of these guys have had twenty or thirty years at their chosen craft (by the way, the one you say you want to pursue). That's longer than you or I have been alive.

Maybe you're a special case. Maybe you really do have the answers. But when a QP on this site asks you a question, you'd do well to answer it. And then absorb every bit of knowledge you can from their rebuttal, because these guys are addressing an issue that no one in the world is better-suited to respond to.

If you're incapable of learning from those wiser than you, I feel sorry for your parents. You've just cost them a fortune and for no gain.

Back in your lanes Lad's.........Failure to live by the rules means that you are afforded the opportunity to die by them...............

Big-red
11-07-2009, 11:11
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?p=294703#post294703

And who might that be?

It would be The Reaper.

If you're incapable of learning from those wiser than you, I feel sorry for your parents. You've just cost them a fortune and for no gain. I had the chance of a lifetime after highschool, I turned it down because I had to finish my university before I could ever do what they choose me for. And trust me when I say I am not political. I hate politics.

Big-red
11-07-2009, 11:12
Big Red, Let me guess, you voted for Obama and feel that all soldiers are chattel for your use and that they should not kill.

That you do not believe that in SF killing, but then SF should what, become helpers of the poor and downtrodden? :confused:

Your indoctrination of us is a secret, yet you have no life experiences with which to indoctrinate. You have a couple of professors that you look up to and they have indoctrinated you, but you refuse to believe that. Your desire to come into SF is not for the mission of SF but to indoctrinate us in your professors view of life. While he has not a single life experience except in the University while hanging around the intelligentsia of University life.

Son, you may wish to get a life and accumulate some "real" life experiences before you come into this arena spouting your "feelings".

On the main topic, my feelings, we are at war and as such, should do what ever is necessary to win. The alternative is totally unacceptable. To fight a war with our hands tied behind our backs has been attempted before and it was a failure of politics and will because of it.

Big Red, your hero professor is probably one of the ones that is now proud of his actions during that period. :rolleyes:

I don't look up to any professor, except for the ones who are easy graders. They are my heroes.

going to go back to lurking.

LongWire
11-07-2009, 11:15
It would be The Reaper.
I had the chance of a lifetime after highschool, I turned it down because I had to finish my university before I could ever do what they choose me for. And trust me when I say I am not political. I hate politics.

I had a serious distaste for what you were saying before. But now I definitely do not like what you are insinuating, not one bit. If you hate this country so much, do us a favor and leave. I won't miss you..........

Richard
11-07-2009, 11:44
Big-red,

We are not in the least bit impressed with the pre-existing intellectual, emotional, and behavioral disorders you have shown in your overt lack of SA since entering this forum.

Have a very SF day. ;)

Richard

Utah Bob
11-07-2009, 11:59
Torpedoed himself below the waterline in 7 posts. Is that a new record?

Pete
11-07-2009, 12:05
I was going to try and say something cute but why waste the effort.

BANNED USER under the child's name says all that needs to be said.

Pete
11-07-2009, 12:08
Torpedoed himself below the waterline in 7 posts. Is that a new record?

Check the Team Sergeant's Office.

A few have done it with one post.

A couple never even got to make the first post - takes a real asshat to do that.

The Reaper
11-07-2009, 12:29
It would be The Reaper.
I had the chance of a lifetime after highschool, I turned it down because I had to finish my university before I could ever do what they choose me for. And trust me when I say I am not political. I hate politics.

Don't fear The Reaper.

You should have been watching out for Richard.

Misdirection gets them every time.

Stud, killing the enemies of your nation while under lawful orders to do so is not murder. If Billy Waugh had been cleared to take out OBL when he had the chance, several thousand Americans would still be alive today, and we may not have had to go into Afghanistan or Iraq.

BTW, If your heroes are professors who give easy grades, then stay on the porch. SF is not for you.

TR

HowardCohodas
11-07-2009, 14:25
Random thoughts...

You guys are pretty tolerant. After all, you still let me participate. ;)

Even as a student, the professors I admired the most were the ones that got me motivated to pursue things beyond just what was required. They were definitely not the professors who graded the easiest. His comments on professors he admired was the comment that finally killed any hope in me that he was redeemable.

This forum is getting to be one of my favorite places to be. Thank you all.

3SoldierDad
11-07-2009, 15:28

Saying one day you'd like to be SF when you're done with college and then jump to SF have "proven to be nothing more than killers".... You have only proven that you are nothing but a punk-ass idiot. Dude, you should be happy this is all on the net - personally, I'd love to give you a knuckle sandwich - Make your face match your name. You've just slandered perhaps the finest men on planet earth.

I get hotter and hotter as I ponder your words.

Three Soldier Dad...Chuck

Fiercely Loyal
11-07-2009, 17:05
Don't fear The Reaper.

You should have been watching out for Richard.

Had I been drinking soda it would have shot out of my nose when I read that.

IMHO I would really like for a larger draw down of generic forces and a pushing of smaller units to do exactly what this thread is about. Smaller impact. Less of Joe pissing off locals and running over IED's. I honestly feel that this would be a better option in some scenarios.

This also goes hand in hand with Big Army standards being grayed to meet demands for bodies. Take all of those who want to be here and make a difference, not just in it for the steady check (sucking the green tit) and lets go do it. Take the fight to the people who are known threats.

echoes
11-07-2009, 18:10
You guys are pretty tolerant

IMHO, QP's ard a very special class of men, that are NOT tolerant of stupidity.

Thank goodness!

Holly

Dozer523
11-07-2009, 20:25
IMHO, QP's ard a very special class of men, that are NOT tolerant of stupidity.

Thank goodness!

Holly Holly. When did you come over to the "dark side"?;)

LarryW
11-07-2009, 23:09
Re: A Manhunting Agency: Most definitely needed in the war on terror. The fighting of fire with fire. To be the invisible serpent; to find the prey, strike precisely, quietly, unseen. Then move back into anonymity.

Re: Naivete of the wannabe educated: Hey, dumb-dumb. Get off your narcissistic ass and engage your brain. Study more.

wet dog
11-07-2009, 23:34
Have you ever noticed the look, the eyes, from someone, when the "penny finally drops" and they get it? My niece said just today, "This GWOT is everywhere! Why can't soldiers carry weapons when in uniform, beit Iraq or Ft. Hood, TX"?

dennisw
11-08-2009, 12:28
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...YLBcgD9BOATHG0

As the above article discusses, it is interesting when countries suffer extremes of anarchy, these same countries often engage in activities which may at first glance appear unacceptable. Although the situation in the U.S. related to GWOT is not exactly akin the current situation in Mexico or the previous situation in Columbia where Pablo Escobar was reigning terror on his fellow countrymen, sometimes extreme problems call for extreme measures.

Obviously, it's a question of the ends justifying the means. Could Colombia have solved it's Escobar problem without Los Pepes killing everyone close to him and finally flushing him out into the open? Apparently the situation in Mexico has reached such an extreme state of anarchy that law abiding citizens are personally taking these kidnappers and drug dealers to task. Who can blame them?

Can we claim there is a situation of extreme international anarchy and justify sending hit squads into different countries without the host country's permission? Would it create more problems than it solved? Did not an Italian court recently indict some Americans for snatching bad guys without permission or providing them with due process ? I mean how many bad guys have been grabbed in Afghanistan and turned over to the Afghani leadership only to have the same guys released?

The problem is more fundamental. There are many leaders of nation states who probably view the Major at Fort Hood who shot unarmed soldiers as a legitimate soldier. There are many countries who are willing to do business with countries who export terror, and in the global economy, we are out of necessity joined with them at the hip.

There is no consensus in the international community on a definition of who is a terrorist. Even if there is, many look the other way if there are lucrative contracts at risk. Look at the U.N. security council. It's a joke. I mean France and Germany at the last moment back out of attacking Iraq. We learn later they both had substantial clandestine dealings related to the oil for food scandal. Obviously, these parties with the contracts had enough power to affect their government's policy and therefore, these countries cannot be trusted.

Coming up with a international consensus which defines terrorism, and agreed upon methodology to handle it, appears to be problematic as many prominent countries have goals which are dramatically different then ours, e.g. China, Russia, Saudi Arabia, etc.

If the terrorist attacks on the WTC, or the bombing in Madrid and England are not enough to galvanize the international community, only a terrorist attack of monumental proportions will do the trick.

However, even with international consensus, can we stop the insidious encroachment of Islam which is occurring inside the nations which comprise the international community? What does it gain us to kill Osama bin laden only to have Detroit or Paris become a Islam controlled city?

Maybe we need to redefine religious freedom. You are free to practice any religion unless the doctrines of that religion call for the destruction of the very nation providing the freedom. Is this too extreme? I can see preachers going to prison for saying God is against homosexuality, but if they preach the destruction of the US or of non believers, that's okay. Doesn't make sense to me.

So it seems solving the problem can only be accomplished with a two pronged attack. Destroying terrorist wherever they exist with the approval of collection of international nation states who share common goals and attributes and solving the encroachment of any religious activities which condone or cultivate the destruction of our nation and our way of life or the killing of anyone who does not follow their religious doctrines. Otherwise, what's the point of the whole effort?

Fiercely Loyal
11-09-2009, 05:52
Have you ever noticed the look, the eyes, from someone, when the "penny finally drops" and they get it? My niece said just today, "This GWOT is everywhere! Why can't soldiers carry weapons when in uniform, beit Iraq or Ft. Hood, TX"?

Wow, Kinda had the same experience with my wife yesterday when I told her about the Fort Hood shooting. Hit a little close to home when she realized that had it been a week or so later it could have been me in that SRP site. Then the bulb light up that it could happen anywhere.

Dozer523
11-09-2009, 17:00
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...YLBcgD9BOATHG0
If the terrorist attacks on the WTC, or the bombing in Madrid and England are not enough to galvanize the international community, only a terrorist attack of monumental proportions will do the trick. How big is "Monumental"? According to this author?
Is it like, "three Brazilian"

zuluzerosix
11-10-2009, 12:44
I would think that if the National Command Authority authorized some sort of program similar to what is being discussed in this thread that our Special Forces comminity could find some way to prosecute that mission.

I don't see a problem with the concept of the mission. But whether or not it is feasable in today's enviroment is something only the folks who would be carrying out the mission would know.

If they think it is possible and can be sucessful then it sounds like a good mission.

Yet, "possible and sucessful" means (what) to someone who is not SF, knows nothing of what it would take to carry out that type of mission, the logistics involved, the risks etc.....? Sorry for adding a disclaimer to my post.
I would think that a program like this is not "news" to the SF community.

My bottom line opinion is that if the NCA decided they needed SF to produce a Chess champion, you all would find a way to produce one. If we needed a college professor for something you all would simply produce one from your ranks. You have done the impossible with nothing for so long I am sure this type of mission could be done if you were allowed to plan and execute without any outside or political influence.

I hope all that made sense and I didn't spew arse.

Marina
11-23-2009, 18:21
I don't expect much discussion on this topic, but it is making its way toward public debate. The author explains in a straightforward manner one controversial aspect of counterterrorism policy.

Book Summary
Targeted Killing: Self-Defense, Preemption, and the War on Terrorism by Thomas Hunter presents a reasoned, impeccably researched, and multi-faceted analysis of the tactic of targeted killing assessing its role, efficacy, and appropriateness in the current world political and military climate. Target killing is just one available option to national governments in their varied arsenals of state-sponsored strategies and tactics for fighting terrorism. Nevertheless, it is one of the most controversial and logistically dangerous options a government can exercise in preemptive strikes against real and current threats to national security. Author Hunter skillfully maneuvers through the moral, military, political, and tactical issues that can both cloud and clarify a government’s implementation of state-sponsored targeted killing. Written with an expert and precise understanding of the issue, Targeted Killing offers an objective and indispensable perspective on a contentious and timely debate.

About the Author
Thomas B. Hunter served as an intelligence analyst with the Defense Intelligence Agency specializing in Homeland Security, Detainee Support, and Latin American narcoterrorism. While serving in the Weapons and Tactics Branch, Mr. Hunter specialized in analysis of terrorist tactics, techniques, and procedures (TTP). Mr. Hunter has written for such publications as Jane’s Intelligence Review, Jane’s International Police Review, and U.S. Naval Institute Proceedings. He has published over 100 articles on a variety of counterterrorism and security subjects and served as the editor of the Journal of Strategic Security and the Journal of Counterterrorism and Homeland Security International. Mr. Hunter holds a Masters Degree in Unconventional Warfare from the American Military University, a Masters Degree in International Security Studies from the University of St. Andrews, Scotland, and an undergraduate degree in English and American Literature from the University of Southern California.