PDA

View Full Version : Medical Waiver Experience

John Fitz
11-03-2009, 16:39
Alright i searched the site and the internet and tried to find an answer to this question but nothing has come up.

I am currently in 20th group det and I reported to selection about a month ago. I had everything in order, including a go on my SF physical. When I arrived though the issue came up of my 20% disability for tinnitus and a minor concussion I had on a jump in 06'. :boohoo. After finding that out i was told to go back home and write up a waiver after renouncing my 20% from the VA. Now I have no problem giving up the 250 a month for the rest of my life and healthcare to go to the course. Even if i dont make it through at least I know that it was on me. The thing is that I can give up my claim and still get denied for the waiver and be shit out of luck on both ends. If anyone has any experience with this I can definitely use it. I wrote up a letter to the VA renouncing my disabilities but I heard rumors that you might not even have to give it up but just write a waiver how the conditions dont affect you.

Dozer523
11-03-2009, 18:13
Alright i searched the site and the internet and tried to find an answer to this question but nothing has come up.

I am currently in 20th group det and I reported to selection about a month ago. I had everything in order, including a go on my SF physical. When I arrived though the issue came up of my 20% disability for tinnitus and a minor concussion I had on a jump in 06'. :boohoo. After finding that out i was told to go back home and write up a waiver after renouncing my 20% from the VA. Now I have no problem giving up the 250 a month for the rest of my life and healthcare to go to the course. Even if i dont make it through at least I know that it was on me. The thing is that I can give up my claim and still get denied for the waiver and be shit out of luck on both ends. If anyone has any experience with this I can definitely use it. I wrote up a letter to the VA renouncing my disabilities but I heard rumors that you might not even have to give it up but just write a waiver how the conditions dont affect you.
If they sent you away without allowing you to attempt SFAS that was a bad call. IMHO.
John, take a deep breath. Ahhhhhhh
This is not some "screw the troops" and it is not renouncing in the sense that you you no longer deserve it / are entitled to it. You give up the VA money because as a member of the NG you will be paid, drill pay. It is looked at as sort of a Double Dip. You are not renouncing your right to VA treatment nor for compensation after you retire or ETS. And as a member of the Guard you are eligible for Tri-Care (which is hard to beat). actually, you have a choice give up the VA or give up the equivalent from your pay. Usually works out better to give up the VA. The rep explained it to me twice but I think my ears had started to bleed.

EDIT To ADD: I'm really trying to break myself of posting here. But, I just finished three rounds with the State Surgeon and the VA and a guy with BTI.

John Fitz
11-05-2009, 13:09
ok thanks I see what your saying. It did suck driving to Bragg and getting ready for selection then having to drive back home. I understand nobody is out trying to fuck over soldiers and I know shit happens. No big deal though because I was able to fit in another semester at college. Right now I am breaking new ground with everyone I talk to because my unit has never dealt with getting a waiver done for a prior VA disability and the VA i go to has never dealt with anyone renouncing their disabilities to get back in. So any info I can get will help out. Thanks again,