PDA

View Full Version : PJs in Afghanistan 2009

Dozer523
10-31-2009, 23:32
http://aimpoints.hq.af.mil/display.cfm?id=35673

jbour13
11-01-2009, 00:25
Shocker and Pedro are the bomb.

Pedro came in on a mission that others would not. The call was made and they were up and moving very, very quickly. We sent ahead a copy of the mission and it came in handy. These boys came in low, fast and on target and kicked out all ammo varieties that was listed (even .300WM) just for giggles.

No questions asked, and no expectations of a thank you.

Had the pleasure to speak with a few and they are class acts at their jobs.

Always good to hear "Pedro/Shocker XX inbound" on the radio.

Michael Yon is on it as usual and is a great American.

Thanks for sharing, those pics made me shake a bit. Pretty nasty areas.

Richard
11-01-2009, 06:47
Dozer,

Thanks for the link - good article. My nephew is in PJ training as we speak (goes to BAC this month) and I sent the AF link to his parents. :)

FWIW - the "Pedro" designation brought back memories - it seemed a bit odd to see it assigned to the ARRS unit as it was the call-sign for one of the A-1E/F squadrons out of Nakhon Phnom back in our time. Guess I've gotten old - how the hell did that happen. :confused:

Richard's $.02 :munchin

mark46th
11-03-2009, 16:51
I did a lot of work with the PJ's back in the old days in Thailand at NKP. Good guys, even though they tried to feed me to their 13 foot rock python...

af_rigger
11-04-2009, 15:11
Dozer, Thanks for the post! I was a Rigger for the PJs out of Nellis AFB back '88 to '92. I always enjoyed working with those guys, Good times! :) -Ken

head
11-04-2009, 15:45
Thanks for the link.
Much love and respect for the Shocker/Pedro crews. The crew out of Bastion came out a couple times to evac our guys. Luckily, I was able to thank them in person... they were humble and of course, it was all in a day's work for those guys.

caveman
11-04-2009, 16:15
It’s bad to get shot, but if you must, it’s best to happen in the presence of Green Berets and to get picked up by Pedros.

Best quote of the article, nice pictures.

greenberetTFS
11-04-2009, 16:27
Excellent link Dozer .............:D:D:D

Big Teddy :munchin

shortbrownguy
11-04-2009, 19:06
Shocker and Pedro are the bomb.

Pedro came in on a mission that others would not. The call was made and they were up and moving very, very quickly. We sent ahead a copy of the mission and it came in handy. These boys came in low, fast and on target and kicked out all ammo varieties that was listed (even .300WM) just for giggles.

No questions asked, and no expectations of a thank you.

Had the pleasure to speak with a few and they are class acts at their jobs.

Always good to hear "Pedro/Shocker XX inbound" on the radio.

Michael Yon is on it as usual and is a great American.

Thanks for sharing, those pics made me shake a bit. Pretty nasty areas.

I can't say enough about Pedro/ Shocker. Class acts and true warriors.
I know, and was there for the mission you speak of;). Three guys are alive today because of there heroism:lifter.

Sigaba
11-04-2009, 19:19
Mr. Yon shows--again--that one can provide the news without succumbing to voyeurism. From the article.
The British are more sensitive about casualties than Americans (many Americans don’t care about photos if they are wounded, though some do). Although I was not embedded with the Brits and so do not have to follow British rules, I respect the soldiers.

And so, without the patient’s consent (which was hard to get because he was in pain and the helicopter was loud and the PJs were working), these photos will not show his face.And later:Some Green Berets helped load the patient and then went back to whatever it is that Green Berets do out here.If only MSM outlets would apply the same degree of prudence when it comes to PERSEC and OPSEC.

Monsoon65
11-04-2009, 20:43
FWIW - the "Pedro" designation brought back memories - it seemed a bit odd to see it assigned to the ARRS unit as it was the call-sign for one of the A-1E/F squadrons out of Nakhon Phnom back in our time. Guess I've gotten old - how the hell did that happen. :confused:

Air Rescue HH-43s were actually called Huskies, but they were called "Pedros", too. I posted some pics of my dads wrecked 43 on here last year.

I think the A1s were always callsigned, "Sandy", I believe.

Richard
11-04-2009, 22:03
Air Rescue HH-43s were actually called Huskies, but they were called "Pedros", too. I posted some pics of my dads wrecked 43 on here last year.

You're right - damn CRS - Pedros were those goofy looking HH-43s for some ARRS support - the ones I remember flew out of Udorn.

FYI - Sandys were A/C from any squadron assigned as a 'package' for downed aircrew rescue - usually an HP-130, 2-4 A-1E/G/Hs, and 2 HH-3/HH-53s. The PJs assigned to the ARRS were dedicated professionals as were the HH-53 crews for the Ponys and Green Hornets who supported us.

The A-1E/G/Hs supporting us from NKP were Hobos and Zorros.

Richard

mojaveman
11-04-2009, 23:04
Hats off to the PJs.

They along with the 1st SOW trained with us at Orogrande back in the day.

Those were some great pictures Dozer.

Stealthed
11-05-2009, 03:41
Thanks for the post Dozer. The pictures/stories are amazing. I'm in awe of the PJ's, those guy's are true heroes.

Geenie
11-05-2009, 09:48
This is a great Thread. Fantastic pictures, indeed. I've always wondered about how much combat the PJs really see. Seems like they do a great job, in any case.

Thanks for posting this!

mark46th
11-05-2009, 13:52
During the Vietnam War, HH-43's did the esrly SAR missions. Their range restricted their ability to go any distance into Indian Country and loiter...They were replaced by CH3's and then by the HH53's...I have a picture of an HH43 taken at Korat RTAFB, somewhere. I'll see if I can dig it up...

G
11-07-2009, 07:16
Guess I've gotten old - how the hell did that happen. :confused:

You haven't gotten old mate, it's the kids...they keep getting younger! :cool:

G

mark46th
11-07-2009, 13:02
The H43 Kaman Husky was built by Kaman Aircraft. Charles Kaman was one of the pioneer helicopter designer/builders, right along side Igor Sikorsky. Pedro was the callsign for the unit flying the H43 as a rescue mission in SE Asia....This was during the Vietnam Era. Sounds like the new Pedros are following in their proud tradition...

Monsoon65
11-07-2009, 18:19
I emailed the link to the story to my dad. He said, "Nothing really changes, does it?"

spherojon
11-24-2009, 12:52
My best friend since I was 6 is a PJ. "That Others May Live" is a great read.

griper23
11-25-2009, 21:54
This is a great Thread. Fantastic pictures, indeed. I've always wondered about how much combat the PJs really see. Seems like they do a great job, in any case.

Thanks for posting this!

try out and find out for yourself. How much combat PJs see. My Word.

Abu-Shakra
12-15-2009, 03:17
Excellent article. Great post.

ThreeC
12-20-2009, 20:35
Accompanying video:

http://www.vimeo.com/6153183

Abu-Shakra
12-22-2009, 10:56
Accompanying video:

http://www.vimeo.com/6153183

That's awesome! I'm amazed by the quality video you can get from these little HD cameras now.

mark46th
12-22-2009, 18:55
Geenie- If you ever run into any pilots from the Vietnam War or SOG guys, they will tell you about the PJ's and combat. I heard a tape of a rescue and there was a constant buzzing in the background. I asked the PJ what the noise was. It was the mini-guns mounted in the doors providing cover... More than a few lost their lives in Vietnam running SAR missions...Great guys.

Richard
12-23-2009, 08:02
The HH-53s supporting us at NKP had 3 mini-guns - one on the ramp (port side like the tail rotor so we had to enter from the starboard side to keep out of the line of fire), one in the large window on the port side directly behind the compartment wall between the pilot and cargo compartments, and one which swung in and out of the door on the starboard side - they were always a welcome sight and smoke bringers. :lifter

The pic is from the starboard side door with the jungle penetrator above the door frame - you can also see the ramp mini-gun on the other HH-53 but can't quite make out the gun in the port side window.

Difficult to imagine they're now things of the past...:(...ahhh...to be young again...;)

mark46th
12-24-2009, 17:49
Yup- The Jolly Greens had 3 Miniguns. The 21st SOS, call sign "Knife" also flew '53's but due to their extended range fuel tanks, they couldn't mount guns in the side doors, only the tail gate...This is the tail gun on a Jolly Green taken over Camp Nam Pung Dam, Thailand in 1973...

Sdiver
07-06-2010, 21:18
Posted on another site by one of our members. Thought I'd bring it over here.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/38094526#38094526

Smokin Joe
07-07-2010, 16:18

Monsoon,

Not all, I'll double check but my Dad said his cal sign was "Nuwhat" not sure of the spelling but its Thai for "mustache" ... however he flew A1/E's, T-28's, and CAS for another company... :D