PDA

View Full Version : Best "Free" bulletin boards

Team Sergeant
10-31-2009, 09:47
I've got someone that is in need of a bulletin board, what are the best "Free" bulletin boards???

TS

Cynic
10-31-2009, 13:11
Board Host (http://www.boardhost.com/) has worked for me for almost ten years.
You have to put up with ads on the page if you don't pay, but if folks have their pop-up blockers activated the ads are not very intrusive.

ES 96
10-31-2009, 13:43
I've got someone that is in need of a bulletin board, what are the best "Free" bulletin boards???

TS

Free host + free forum software or just the free forum software and their own host?

Team Sergeant
10-31-2009, 14:48
Free host + free forum software or just the free forum software and their own host?

They have a host, just need the free BB software.

Mitch
10-31-2009, 15:46
Guys,

Just want to thank TS for putting this out for the rest of you to see - here is what I originally asked:

Originally Posted by Mitch
I was wondering if you could give me some advice on the software you are using for this fourm. I want to put something similar together, on a smaller scale for my professional organization,

This would work fine I think. Perhaps I could call you or you could just point me to the people who developed it. One problem is, we have limited funds, I know we could afford a few hundred dollars a year , perhaps more - not sure yet.

Here is our website: http://www.asqfortworth.org/

I have since talked with Jeff and learned a few more things that I did not know. Namely, the site we currently operate is static, not a lot of interaction, very low band width. This PS site is dynamic and operates off a Server that can support thousands of people interacting with it each hour - if needed.

So apparently, not only do I need the software, I also need a server - servers cost money. Jeff mentioned however, that there are Hosting Services that provide the software, the server and the bandwidth - for free, or near free, but you have to accept advertising - that could possibly be ok, depending on the type of advertising - though, not preferable.

So - I now have three questions - or three requests for some advice:

1. What is a good - free, or very low priced software - like we see here on PS?
2. What "Server Services" are out there, that could support a site like this one - what do they cost?
3. What is a good Hosting Service out there that could provide Free, or near Free hosting, but would impose advertising - our goal if we went that route is that we could have veto power on the types and content of advertizing.

Just letting you know - I am less than a novice on this - but I have already tripled the knowledge I had on this subject today, in a 10 minute phone call, so please bear with me.

Mitch

Kyobanim
10-31-2009, 15:54
You're not going to find a free bulletin board like vbulletin. That being said. . .

1. PHPbbs is a good one. You'll find that most host companies have it loaded on their servers already and you cna just choose it from a list and it will set up its self.

Simple Machines forum is another good free one. Same scenario as above.

2. TONS of hosting services out there that can support it, and most of them low cost. 5 to 20 bucks a month depending on your payment plan.

3. I won't give anyone advertising here so if you're interested, I have several that I have delt with for a while and would be happy to provide names. Send PM if interested.

K

Guys,

So - I now have three questions - or three requests for some advice:

1. What is a good - free, or very low priced software - like we see here on PS?
2. What "Server Services" are out there, that could support a site like this one - what do they cost?
3. What is a good Hosting Service out there that could provide Free, or near Free hosting, but would impose advertising - our goal if we went that route is that we could have veto power on the types and content of advertizing.

Just letting you know - I am less than a novice on this - but I have already tripled the knowledge I had on this subject today, in a 10 minute phone call, so please bear with me.

Mitch

Mitch
10-31-2009, 17:41
You're not going to find a free bulletin board like vbulletin. That being said. . .

1. PHPbbs is a good one. You'll find that most host companies have it loaded on their servers already and you cna just choose it from a list and it will set up its self.

Simple Machines forum is another good free one. Same scenario as above.

2. TONS of hosting services out there that can support it, and most of them low cost. 5 to 20 bucks a month depending on your payment plan.

3. I won't give anyone advertising here so if you're interested, I have several that I have delt with for a while and would be happy to provide names. Send PM if interested.

K

Got a PM on the way - thanks.

Dan
11-01-2009, 13:46
I've dealt with many forums code, both free and not, and hands down the best free forum is http://www.phpbb.com/. It can be mod'ed as required and is the best version that is kept updated.