Looks pretty cool, but I'm pretty sure Elway used to wear one of these:

https://mayflower-rc.com/our-products/assaulter-arm-board/

Warrior-Mentor
10-29-2009, 14:30
Looks like could come in handy.

Do they make one for business suits? :)

Kyobanim
10-29-2009, 15:45
Someone will mount a crackberry/iphone in it with an app to hold the data.

Sten
10-29-2009, 17:26
Someone will mount a crackberry/iphone in it with an app to hold the data.

"You have to storm an Afghan compound with only spotty intel? There is an app for that..."

Kyobanim
10-29-2009, 20:26
LOL!

NoRoadtrippin
10-29-2009, 21:22
Seriously though, I am writing military iPhone apps as we speak. First one out will be the 12 Warrior Battle Drills with T, C, & S. Plus all the set up walk-through, talk-through, supporting individual tasks, etc. This one is about 95% done at this time. Some ideas on deck:

Infantry leader's smart card...wpns info, radio calls, CLS info, UXO/IED procedures, basic Arabic/Pashtu/Farsi phrases. Options are endless really when you don't have to fit it on a 3x5.

TM's for common weapons....

Ranger Handbook

Career tracker...thinking of something that would be a basic on hand ERB/ORB, but also include additional info like dates for most recent physical, etc.

And the last idea I have at the moment is a Range Log...put in the weapon model, caliber, serial number. Then track sessions by rounds fired, magazines used, any issues. You could even load service intervals for each weapon or magazine so it would let you know you've used M4 Mag 6 for X number of rounds so you can do maintenance without having to go back through and do a lot of math.

Any more ideas?

If this is too much of a hijack, I'll gladly relocate.

blue02hd
10-30-2009, 03:08
Seriously though, I am writing military iPhone apps as we speak. ,,,,,,

Ranger Handbook,,,,,,,

I WISH I had that when I was going thru Ranger School,,,,,

"Excuse me Mr RI, I need to fire up my IPHONE". Hell, I could have possibly actually told him where we were too! (My fat finger didn't do so well at the time,,,,,,)

longrange1947
10-30-2009, 06:14
Actually it works well for snipers as well. ;)

dac
10-30-2009, 09:37
Any more ideas?

I want one with every unit patch for when I am in airports and see the many different types I don't recognize.

But I don't have an iPhone, so if you could just print that out for me I would accept that.

Team Sergeant
10-30-2009, 09:49
Seriously though, I am writing military iPhone apps as we speak. First one out will be the 12 Warrior Battle Drills with T, C, & S. Plus all the set up walk-through, talk-through, supporting individual tasks, etc. This one is about 95% done at this time. Some ideas on deck:

Infantry leader's smart card...wpns info, radio calls, CLS info, UXO/IED procedures, basic Arabic/Pashtu/Farsi phrases. Options are endless really when you don't have to fit it on a 3x5.

TM's for common weapons....

Ranger Handbook

Career tracker...thinking of something that would be a basic on hand ERB/ORB, but also include additional info like dates for most recent physical, etc.

And the last idea I have at the moment is a Range Log...put in the weapon model, caliber, serial number. Then track sessions by rounds fired, magazines used, any issues. You could even load service intervals for each weapon or magazine so it would let you know you've used M4 Mag 6 for X number of rounds so you can do maintenance without having to go back through and do a lot of math.

Any more ideas?

Yeah, I'm taking my iphone onto the battlefield......

"You need to locate all the enemy iphones currently on the battlefield and rain down artillery on them. There's an app for that...."

Warrior-Mentor
10-30-2009, 10:02
I WISH I had that when I was going thru Ranger School,,,,,

"Excuse me Mr RI, I need to fire up my IPHONE". Hell, I could have possibly actually told him where we were too! (My fat finger didn't do so well at the time,,,,,,)

Gotta hate it when they ask you "Show me where we are?"
You fat thumb a grid square...then the RI reaches down,
picks up a pine needle and says "Try again Ranger."

NoRoadtrippin
10-30-2009, 12:16
Thank you gentlemen for all the fantastic tongue-in-cheek responses.

Most of the apps I am thinking of have more of a training value than they do a direct combat value. Obviously the smart card and such would be useful on the battlefield assuming your battery wasn't dead, but items like the FM's or Battle Drill information (to me anyways) have a lot of practical application for heading to a range without having to carry all the paper copies with you. It simply creates an immediate reference. Plus they would be searchable and such so you could find a certain topic more easily.

You guys didn't carry phones in Ranger? I used mine throughout Darby to order pizza to our planning bay...I guess things have changed...

ES 96
11-06-2009, 03:40
I wonder how this iteration is different than items already in use like in the attached image:

SF_BHT
11-06-2009, 07:05
Thank you gentlemen for all the fantastic tongue-in-cheek responses.

Most of the apps I am thinking of have more of a training value than they do a direct combat value. Obviously the smart card and such would be useful on the battlefield assuming your battery wasn't dead, but items like the FM's or Battle Drill information (to me anyways) have a lot of practical application for heading to a range without having to carry all the paper copies with you. It simply creates an immediate reference. Plus they would be searchable and such so you could find a certain topic more easily.

You guys didn't carry phones in Ranger? I used mine throughout Darby to order pizza to our planning bay...I guess things have changed...

You had better know your battle drills before deploying or stay home..... Oh just a second guys I need to check the FM.....BAM your DEAD...... That shit needs to be on your laptop in the rear not on your phone.

Cell Phones in Ranger School?????:confused: 1st They did not have Cells back in my day but we did have Pay-Phones. Low-Crawl out of the area and make a call, driver makes a drop off and your low-Crawl back in. When finished eating all you destroy the box and cash the trash so the RI's do not catch you. Guess the new improved army is way different.... Hell we ran PT in Boots back then also.....and never had to make an announcement to put your phones on vibrate in a formation.:p

Dozer523
11-06-2009, 08:37
1st They did not have Cells back in my day but we did have Pay-Phones. Ohhhhh. . . bullshit. They didn't have "technology" in your day. I think all communication was based on grunts and pointing.:rolleyes: :D

SF_BHT
11-06-2009, 10:04
Ohhhhh. . . bullshit. They didn't have "technology" in your day. I think all communication was based on grunts and pointing.:rolleyes: :D

So Whats Your Point?:p

Technology was a pointy stick instead of a broken branch......:eek:

Dozer523
11-06-2009, 10:28
So Whats Your Point?:p
Technology was a pointy stick instead of a broken branch......:eek:
Technology is over-rated. Here is an OPORD exerp from your day. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5h2gVbLlwl8&feature=related
Technology is Very over-rated.

Roger_Out
11-24-2009, 06:43
Team used a similar piece of gear on a trip, different company.

http://www.nqtacticalsupplies.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=3&products_id=56

Worked quite well for stack leaders to have a GRG available, possibly some pictures you printed up, and of course your 9'lines and CAS cards.

Indespensible- no, but definitely helpful in certain circumstances for leadership or someone making comms.

18C4V
11-24-2009, 13:57
We identified the need during PMT to have them and we used them extensively in OIF.

L-10
12-23-2009, 21:52
:pI tryed out the arm band pouch for a about 2 weeks didn't really find it useful. More of a nuisance having something attached to my arm. I still like having my map, 9lines, and j-fire in FAC Kit on my vest. That's just me.

Anyways what do you guys think of this pouch:
http://www.zulunylongear.com/megaadmin.html

head
12-23-2009, 22:26
I just wear a $10 quarterback armband from Play It Again Sports.
Does the job for GRG's and writing notes.
Only issue is that it's hard to find one out of HS football season.

L-10
12-23-2009, 22:30
I used to have one of those. Their just big enough to fit an ID card, right?
Not a bad idea.

head
12-23-2009, 23:32
A little bigger.. actually about the same size as the one in the OP.

Here's one for 9 bucks that "moisture wicks"... it comes in black but currently it's out of stock (like I said, harder to find when HS football season is over):
http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?country=US&lang_locale=en_US&l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-132730/pgid-132731

dirtyshirt
12-23-2009, 23:34
I have one of the "Under Armor" arm board thing-a-mabobs.

Works well, retains elasticity,set up pretty well,and fairly inexspensive compared to the other ones with "Tactical" or "Special Forces/Special Operations" attached to the name. Why someone feels the need to charge more for those names in the title of equipment is beyond me. Ridiculous.

UA one is good,inexspensive,and easily replaceable.Fits 3x5 index cards,and you can write on the clear plastic with erasable marker. comes in "Tactical" black too;)

head
12-23-2009, 23:48
Why someone feels the need to charge more for those names in the title of equipment is beyond me. Ridiculous.

I introduce the BattleLab Commander's Armboard for a mere $125
http://www.diamondbacktactical.com/BattleLab-Commanders-Arm-Board-Patent-Pending-P327C232.aspx

...Granted it does have backlighting (via a 123) and is "Available in Black, Coyote Brown and Ranger Green. Backlight options: White, Yellow and Red."

wet dog
12-23-2009, 23:52
I just found this thread.

Have we fallen that far? Does anyone remember that we got our asses handed to us by those who used arrows against rifles, or recently tribes living in dirt and no fuel with limited access to the world?

I was lucky to have a Tm SGT who would let me "occasionally" write a freq. on a piece of paper, but only in lemon joice. When has weaponry overshadowed the human mind.

Do we still believe that the man is our most important resource?

Armboard, $125
iPod, $325
not seeing the enemy move from fighting position, priceless. Your eyes are off the target.

Guy
12-28-2009, 07:48
I just found this thread.

Have we fallen that far? Does anyone remember that we got our asses handed to us by those who used arrows against rifles, or recently tribes living in dirt and no fuel with limited access to the world?

I was lucky to have a Tm SGT who would let me "occasionally" write a freq. on a piece of paper, but only in lemon joice. When has weaponry overshadowed the human mind.

Do we still believe that the man is our most important resource?

Armboard, $125
iPod, $325
not seeing the enemy move from fighting position, priceless. Your eyes are off the target.Cut-off the electricity and/or commo and see how much work gets accomplished...:(

Oh well...stay safe.

longrange1947
12-28-2009, 10:05
All of the tech statements are true, we are becoming too reliant on tech shit.

However I stand by my original statement that th eoriginal kit works well for snipers especially for paper data, not iPod crap, and when you have multiple HVT you are trying to locate.

That is low tech assist. :munchin

kgoerz
12-29-2009, 07:17
We use to wear them to keep pictures of people who had BOLO'S out on them.
For fun we would sometimes stand where the large rush hour crowds were passing by us on foot. We would have them flipped up like we were looking for a particular individual. Seeing if we could get a reaction out of someone.

7624U
12-29-2009, 09:57
You did what Sir !!! You lost your fricking I-phone on the last target !!!

You Had what on it !!!! All our names and perstat info on it NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

L-10
12-30-2009, 18:38
A little bigger.. actually about the same size as the one in the OP.

Here's one for 9 bucks that "moisture wicks"... it comes in black but currently it's out of stock (like I said, harder to find when HS football season is over):
http://store.nike.com/index.jsp?country=US&lang_locale=en_US&l=shop,pdp,ctr-inline/cid-1/pid-132730/pgid-132731

I bought that nike arm band at dicks sporting goods store today. Only $11 bucks, which is not bad. It fits on my arm quite nice. The one I turned back in had 2 pieces of elastic cord that went around my arm. Didn't find it too comfortable. Anyways I'll put the nike arm band through some use while I'm at jtacqc.
Thanks