PDA

View Full Version : Are liberal Democrats changing their strategy?


Costa
10-28-2009, 22:43
With all the recent happenings from health-care to the war on terror to people criticizing the current administration and the who's doing what world of political goings on, a trend that usually appears during election time (backing off the edges and leaning towards the middle) is happening again. How will this affect the vote on health-care and more importantly, the senate elections of 2010? Is this is a strategy geared towards getting the votes needed for socialized health-care? (http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/10/28/reid-retreat-resistance-government-health-plan-force-compromise/) Or is it planning for something bigger? Could this be the last effort to save face? Even Hillary is saying that we belong in the fight with Pakistan! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/8329244.stm) I've never seen Hillary to do things like this!

Recently Americans have been defending Fox news against White House remarks stating that it is a biased news station (http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2009/10/28/fox_versus_obama/), asking "What if Bush had done that?" (http://news.yahoo.com/s/politico/20091027/pl_politico/28764), and generally sounding more and more conservative as the days pass. Are we witnessing the re-birth of the conservative Democrat?

The only Democrats I've known in my life-time have been extremely liberal and I'm picking up on something new and different here. I come to the people on this board for their wisdom and their take on things going on right now... I look forward to reading everyone's take on things going on right now as a whole...:munchin

It seems the tables are turning and rather than Conservatives becoming more moderate (The lion's post), Liberals might be becoming more conservative?

longrange1947
10-29-2009, 06:04
Some of the Dems are more conservative then some of the Republicans. Especiall those Dems form teh south versus those form the north east. It has been that way for years. Repubs are not elected to local office in the South due to two basic things, Reconstrcution and the civil rights bill passed a huge majority of Republicans and while the bill was shunned by the Dems.

I know that sounds backwards, but it is the truth, look it up. :munchin

Costa
10-29-2009, 09:44
I don't doubt that at all, I think that conservatives are looking for very conservative candidates now instead of going the moderate route and liberal Republicans are being scorned. What I'm picking up on though, as many others are, I think could be the start of that conservative revolution across the board. If the Democratic party starts going on a more conservative route, which they seem to be doing lately, one of two things could happen: it could either spark an outcry for highly conservative candidates and we would enter into a "golden age" of conservatism OR it could all be smoke and mirrors to get votes in the senate elections of 2010 and nothing will change.

I guess my question more specifically hovers around the notion of a return of a Regan era. Do you think it will happen? or is this new show by Liberals a sham?

I think the whole topic of health-care is serving to "test the waters" of how the people feel and I think that the Democratic party has overstepped on how liberal they think the American public is. So will they throw enough straws on the camel's back to break it? Will the facts about the failed stimulus plan, careless spending in the Whitehouse, Lack of action in the middle eastern conflicts, etc. come out and damage the Democratic party for a long time? or Will they change strategy to save themselves in time for elections?