PDA

View Full Version : Total Thyroidectomy and the School House

jeff.c
10-28-2009, 10:01
I am trying to find out about current school house regulations regarding a medical condition.

In June I was diagnosed with Hypothyroidism after a cervical MRI revealed an enlarged thyroid lobe. Ultrasound revealed a nodule on my Isthmus. Biopsy was indeterminate and from there the standard is to have at least a partial thyroidectomy to remove the nodule for additional biopsy. Surgeon removed the entire thyroid after finding a second nodule and seeing that my thyroid was 2.5 times the normal size it should be. All biopsies were benign. Recovered well from the thyroid surgery (62 days post-op) and am currently taking Synthroid and am just below the normal range and had my dose upped 25mcg this morning and the doctor feels I will be set after this adjustment.

I am currently training with B/2-19 and they want to send me to the MCCC while I heal. They also want a return on their investment and are in the process of finding out if this is even waiverable to not have a thyroid and be on Synthroid.

Army regulations state being hypothyroid is not a deal killer at all, as long as it is “manageable.” So far, I’d say it is although more time is certainly needed to confirm.

Bottom Line:
1. Total thyroidectomy
2. 175mcg of Synthroid daily
3. 62 days post-op as of 28OCT09
4. Feel pretty good and hormone levels should be in normal range at next check up in six weeks.
5. No other medical conditions that would keep me out of the school house / selection.

Questions:
1. Is this waiverable?
2. Is there a wait and see approach? Wait one year post-op and submit all supporting documentation in an attempt to have the Surgeon stamp approved?
3. Have I hit the end of the road?

I figured this was a rather quick way to find an answer. Thanks for letting me read the postings here for 22 months.

Jeff

The Reaper
10-28-2009, 11:41
Have you read the rules and stickies?

What does AR 40-501 say about a complete thyroidectomy?

You want to be on an ODA, but are completely dependent on a medication?

TR

Richard
10-28-2009, 11:44
Ask these ffolkes:

http://goarmy.com/special_forces/

After all, it is their job.

Richard

jeff.c
10-28-2009, 12:14
TR,

Sir, I have read the rules and stickies and if I missed something, then I was wrong and I appologize. As for the daily medication and being on an ODA: I want to be on an ODA more than anything else.

I do not believe total thyroidectomy is a deal breaker. The AR (dated 09-2008) clearly states if your Hypothyroidsim is not controllable then it is. That is my diagnosis, Hypothyroidism.

Richard,

I as not looking for someone to stop what they are doing and research an answer for me. I know from reading here there is a wealth of knowledge and thought someone may know what is and is not acceptable medically. If that is how the post came across, it was unintended.

Jeff

jeff.c
10-28-2009, 13:33
TR and Richard:

I will research more and post less.

Jeff

Red Flag 1
10-28-2009, 14:13
TR,

Sir, I have read the rules and stickies and if I missed something, then I was wrong and I appologize. As for the daily medication and being on an ODA: I want to be on an ODA more than anything else.

I do not believe total thyroidectomy is a deal breaker. The AR (dated 09-2008) clearly states if your Hypothyroidsim is not controllable then it is. That is my diagnosis, Hypothyroidism.

Richard,

I as not looking for someone to stop what they are doing and research an answer for me. I know from reading here there is a wealth of knowledge and thought someone may know what is and is not acceptable medically. If that is how the post came across, it was unintended.

Jeff

Not an Endo guy.That having been said, hypotyhroidism is not status post total thyroidectomy; there is a difference. You relate that you may well be dependent exogenous sources, pills, to remain euthyroid. You may need frequent labs to get your thyroid replacement where it needs to be. I also expect that your doc may want to do frequent lab tests and thyriod replacement therapy adjustments for quite some time.

For your well being, follow what your doc says. As for any military service, regs make the call; after that exceptions/wavers.

You have a few posts here; pay particular attention to what TR and Richard have said !!

Wishing you well.

RF 1