PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 20th SF mentor

ReconGaelach
10-26-2009, 10:42
I was not physically ready to tryout for C Co 1/20th SFG(A) last wekend. I intend to tryout in April during the next one. In the mean time I wanted to know if there are any SF qualified or non qualified soldiers that would help in preparing me for tryouts/selection. Thanks
-JH

The Reaper
10-26-2009, 10:56
It occurs to me that you need to get the SWCS PT prep manual and follow it, along with "Get Selected".

The best person to help you is the one that looks back at you from the mirror every day.

We do not do a lot of hand holding here, or in SF.

Best of luck.

TR

ReconGaelach
10-29-2009, 06:52
It occurs to me that you need to get the SWCS PT prep manual and follow it, along with "Get Selected".

The best person to help you is the one that looks back at you from the mirror every day.

We do not do a lot of hand holding here, or in SF.

Best of luck.

TR

Not looking to have my hand held or be coddled. Simply looking for a workout partner for weight training mostly. Perhaps I should have been more specific.

I have already started implementing SWCS and I am ordering the "Get Selected" book on payday. (I have used the search button)

Since you cannot get into 20th group and start training without first trying out, I thought that someone already in would be able to steer me in the right direction on some things. Mainly I dont know where to practice land nav, real land nav, where the points are more than 600m apart. The best person to help me on this is not the one starring back at me. Perhaps an orienteering club would be a good place to practice.

Thanks,
-JH

dirt_diver
10-29-2009, 07:05
Not looking to have my hand held or be coddled. Simply looking for a workout partner for weight training mostly. Perhaps I should have been more specific.

I have already started implementing SWCS and I am ordering the "Get Selected" book on payday. (I have used the search button)

Since you cannot get into 20th group and start training without first trying out, I thought that someone already in would be able to steer me in the right direction on some things. Mainly I dont know where to practice land nav, real land nav, where the points are more than 600m apart. The best person to help me on this is not the one starring back at me. Perhaps an orienteering club would be a good place to practice.

Thanks,
-JH

ReconGaelach,

I understand the desire for a mentor, but the QPs that I have been around all have an internal drive that allows them to get the job done, whether that is working-out or getting the mission done. Secondly, try doing landnav at your state HQ or find another unit in your area you can pair with in your free time for landnav, it definitely works (even if the points aren't 600m apart). Finally, be careful with what you say, the way you quoted TR about "the one starring back at me in the mirror" could bring you some hurt not only here....but in the future.

Best of luck.

The Reaper
10-29-2009, 08:24

Thanks,
-JH

Perhaps you should have been clearer in your OP.

You will not be asked to lift any weights in a gym during SFAS or the SFQC.

If you had done your homework here, you would have found the part where we explained that you will be taught land nav, the way we want you to do it, before you are ever asked to perform the task.

As long as you are competent for your skill level, willing and able to learn, can apply the instruction, and are physically fit, you should have no problems.

People who need help to prepare themselves for Selection are not generally the ones we are looking for.

If you were looking for a workout partner, you should have said so.

TR

ReconGaelach
10-29-2009, 18:15
Perhaps you should have been clearer in your OP.

You will not be asked to lift any weights in a gym during SFAS or the SFQC.

If you had done your homework here, you would have found the part where we explained that you will be taught land nav, the way we want you to do it, before you are ever asked to perform the task.

As long as you are competent for your skill level, willing and able to learn, can apply the instruction, and are physically fit, you should have no problems.

People who need help to prepare themselves for Selection are not generally the ones we are looking for.

If you were looking for a workout partner, you should have said so.

TR

Understood. My apologies. Some of my notions about how to prepare for SFAS and SFQC are incorrect.

Texas18D
10-30-2009, 19:20
Mainly I dont know where to practice land nav, real land nav, where the points are more than 600m apart. Perhaps an orienteering club would be a good place to practice.

Actually an orienteering club would be an outstanding place to learn land nav. I'd be willing to bet that the average avid member of an orienteering club is better at getting from point A to point B than SF guys.

I would also be willing to bet that they would be slower at land nav in the context applied at SFAS. The rucksack, the miles already on the feet, the obstacles in the training areas etc. Land nav is not that hard of a skill. You must only be smart enough not to get lost, the rest is conditioning...especially conditioning of your feet.

Scimitar
10-30-2009, 23:00
Find your local club US Orienteering Federation club here.

[URL="http://www.us.orienteering.org/"US Orienteering Federation/[/URL]

S

Scimitar
10-30-2009, 23:02
Also I found a lot of local ROTCs are more then willing to let you tag along on thier 1-2 Land Nav training ramp-up classes and Land Nav FTXs. I had a great time running around the bush with lost ROTC first year students. :D

Find local ROTC here.

ROTC database (http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/find_schools.jsp)

S

irishguy33
12-15-2009, 05:10
getting in shape for SFOP is not that difficult.. do some Crossfit or Military Athlete workouts a couple times a week and put in your dues with hours humping a ruck just like evryone else has done. There is no exact science to preparing yourself.

As far as land nav goes.. find a topo map of your area, throw a ruck on and simply go out and terrain associate yourself from point A to B. You don't need to train on a designated land nav course with pre-positioned surveyed points. Pick a spot on the map and navigate to it.. when you think you are in the right spot check your position with a GPS - but do not use the GPS as a guide.

If you need more help than these pretty easy suggestions you may not be quite what we are looking for.

Best of luck

The Reaper
12-15-2009, 12:19
getting in shape for SFOP is not that difficult.. do some Crossfit or Military Athlete workouts a couple times a week and put in your dues with hours humping a ruck just like evryone else has done. There is no exact science to preparing yourself.

As far as land nav goes.. find a topo map of your area, throw a ruck on and simply go out and terrain associate yourself from point A to B. You don't need to train on a designated land nav course with pre-positioned surveyed points. Pick a spot on the map and navigate to it.. when you think you are in the right spot check your position with a GPS - but do not use the GPS as a guide.

If you need more help than these pretty easy suggestions you may not be quite what we are looking for.

Best of luck

Irish, you should probably review the stickies and rules and introduce yourself in the proper place before posting again.

TR

Scimitar
12-15-2009, 12:40

Best of luck

Here's a good saying. "The more you get lost now the less you'll get lost during selection". :D

I took on my first Draw monster during my last FTX Land Nav and the draw monster won. Lesson learned. Glad I wasn't in the middle of the STAR when I learned that beauty. :cool:

S

18D4VRWB
12-18-2009, 23:24
Look, I understand you want some info.

1) Be able to max your PT test, preferably after little sleep (4hrs), you should be able to get it done with no issues. Maybe after a little stress from some cadre.

2) Strengthen you quads and shoulders for for some events. Strengthen with some muscle building then move into endurance

3) Be able to walk/jog/run with that ruck...again be able to put it and move...no issues

You have done multiple tours in a combat zone, so focused and don't quit,