PDA

View Full Version : IPOD Help

kgoerz
10-23-2009, 12:56
Anyone know the best way to transfer everything on a IPOD to a new computer.

Sigaba
10-23-2009, 13:02
Anyone know the best way to transfer everything on a IPOD to a new computer.What OS are you using? Do you have your music files on a functioning HDD that you could transfer to another HDD (such as an external USB2 HDD)?

True Believer
10-23-2009, 14:59
Anyone know the best way to transfer everything on a IPOD to a new computer.

The purchased items should transfer as long as you add the new computer as one of your authorized devices through itunes.

For the Ripped files, you can extract the files just like any other usb drive. However, many of the songs will only have a four digit alpha-numeric code for each song. Depending on how large your library is, this may not be the best option.

greenberetTFS
10-23-2009, 15:05
The purchased items should transfer as long as you add the new computer as one of your authorized devices through itunes.

For the Ripped files, you can extract the files just like any other usb drive. However, many of the songs will only have a four digit alpha-numeric code for each song. Depending on how large your library is, this may not be the best option.

TB,

Where is your pubic profile? :confused:

Big Teddy :munchin

True Believer
10-23-2009, 15:25
TB,

Where is your pubic profile? :confused:

Big Teddy :munchin
greenberetTFS,

Not sure why you are unable to see it. I can access it through my name and then the additional options.

dividebyzero
10-23-2009, 15:33
Here's a guide that gives a basic rundown of how to transfer music off your iPod:

http://www.methodshop.com/gadgets/ipodsupport/copyoff/index.shtml

You can use this as a starting point to find a solution that works for you. If you're looking to get photos or other documents off the iPod, True Believer is correct in that it functions like any other USB HDD. Good luck!

kgoerz
10-23-2009, 15:35
I found something. It's called Midget Widget. It cost $39. But it automatically transfered all the Music, play list and Data directly to my Itunes. Exactly as it was set up on the IPOD. My laptop crashed the other day. I had everything backed up but my IPOD/Music. What a relief.
If anyone on here knows how to repair a LapTop. I have one to send you.

kgoerz
10-23-2009, 15:37
I tried a few of the on line instructions but all they did was transfer the music to a file. The program I used duplicated my IPOD directly into Itunes

ES 96
10-23-2009, 15:43
greenberetTFS,

Not sure why you are unable to see it. I can access it through my name and then the additional options.

TB:
Go to Link/User Control Panel/Profile Privacy and make sure the "About Me" drop down is set to either "Everyone" or "Registered Members".

True Believer
10-23-2009, 15:43
I tried a few of the on line instructions but all they did was transfer the music to a file. The program I used duplicated my IPOD directly into Itunes

It would have been nice to have had that when the same happened to me. I was definitely knuckle dragging when I was listening to every song on my Itunes so I could give it the correct name instead of the four digit code. That was before I converted to my MacBook.

True Believer
10-23-2009, 15:47
TB:
Go to Link/User Control Panel/Profile Privacy and make sure the "About Me" drop down is set to either "Everyone" or "Registered Members".

AM,

Thanks. It was set to Contacts only.

Sigaba
10-23-2009, 15:52
I had everything backed up but my IPOD/Music. After blowing away my music library on two occasions :confused: :eek: :o, I keep it backed up on two different HDDs. The rest of my data? Er, well. Um. (I can almost hear user #66 laughing right now.:p)

Thanks for the tip on MediaWidget. Does the application also restore contacts?

Nonna
10-23-2009, 16:10
I bought an online program, I will look tonight to see what is called, but it copied everything from my Ipod touch to my new laptop, including music, pictures, videos, etc. It wasn't very expensive either. Saved me a ton of time and effort.

frostfire
10-23-2009, 17:03
After blowing away my music library on two occasions :confused: :eek: :o, I keep it backed up on two different HDDs. The rest of my data? Er, well. Um. (I can almost hear user #66 laughing right now.:p)

Thanks for the tip on MediaWidget. Does the application also restore contacts?

with the size and prize of HD these days, one can easily ghost a HD to another or two others every week, or even every day. Google Symantec Ghost. I think the earlier versions are free.

I used to work in refurbishing computers and that's how we managed to crank large quantities per day.

kgoerz,

software or hardware failure?
With laptop prices dropping these days, getting a new one seems to be the best route. However, if that laptop of yours was one of those $2000+ Thinkpad X series etc., I would want to keep it running too.

kgoerz
10-23-2009, 17:12
Its hardware, probably mother board

Sigaba
10-23-2009, 17:24
[W]ith the size and prize of HD these days, one can easily ghost a HD to another or two others every week, or even every day. Google Symantec Ghost. I think the earlier versions are free.FF--
As I told a librarian a couple of months ago when she offered to put a search on a book rather than my searching the shelves myself, "That would be the smart thing to do...and I don't do 'smart.'"

(Amazingly, as of last night, the books still have not reappeared on the shelves.)