PDA

View Full Version : your kitchen wouldn't be your kitchen without... ?

Pandora
07-18-2004, 21:23
Normal staples (butter, milk, bread, salt) aside, what is the one signature ingrediant in your kitchen that you consider necessary?

If you really like to cook, it's possibly a tough question to pick only one.

Fresh thyme - (garlic and white wine were 2nd & third)

Huey14
07-18-2004, 21:38
Beef two minute noodles :p

Sacamuelas
07-18-2004, 21:38
Holy trinity of down south cajun cookin'...

Fresh chopped onion, bell pepper, and celery

Gypsy
07-18-2004, 21:40
Garlic!

LOL Huey, we need to get you some cooking lessons. Simple to prepare dishes that will impress.

Must edit to add olive oil and wine. The wine is for both cooking and imbibing!

Huey14
07-18-2004, 21:43
If I want to impress, I chuck it in a bowl and say it's from Italy :lifter :cool:

Team Sergeant
07-18-2004, 21:48
It is a tough question. As Saca pointed out, what is common to him may not be common to the rest of us.
But, that said, I cannot live without a good olive oil, red meat of some sort, and crusty bread.

Gypsy
07-18-2004, 21:50
Beef noodles, from Italy...?! Bite your tongue man! :D

Team Sergeant
07-18-2004, 21:56
I don't think there's enough examples of "staples". I would think any kitchen worth its salt had most of whats mentioned here already. Fresh herbs are procured as necessary and the same for the veggies. Spices and what not usually fill out many a cabinet space. I'd spend the rest of the night listing my spices and cooking oils.

Pandora
07-18-2004, 22:05
I'd spend the rest of the night listing my spices and cooking oils.

Likewise, but then again, I now realize I am shamefully remiss in the proper care & sharpening of knives - so I summarily disqualify myself as a good chef now. ;)

Cook's note - many cooks are either "herb" or "spice" chefs - seldom both. Easy recognition - French/Italian lean towards herbs; Indian/Asian/Hispanic favour spices. Brits don't bother unless it is a curry. LOL!

Send up your staples list, Team Sargeant. Sounds as if it would be pretty extensive.

Team Sergeant
07-18-2004, 22:14
It might be easier to list the spices I do not have, such as Saffron or “real” vanilla bean.
Staples are different to everyone I would imagine, I’m sure we could come up with a list of what we have in our kitchens and much would be the same given our geographic locations.

AngelsSix
07-18-2004, 22:33
Dales and Green Majik.

Pandora
07-18-2004, 22:44
I’m sure we could come up with a list of what we have in our kitchens and much would be the same given our geographic locations.

Not sure I agree with that entirely. I would expect that Southerners will have more fresh peppers, but I'm still taking the position that the style of cooking determines the staples more than the geography.

Get the vanilla beans!!! Learn to make the Doc vanilla bean hot chocolate and she'll be putty in your hands. :D

Dales and Green Majik.

These I must Google.

AngelsSix
07-18-2004, 23:11
Dales is marinade.....Green Majik is spices we brought back from Rome. Great stuff. We put it on dang near everything. Has red pepper flakes IAT a whole bunch of other green stuff. You can make anything spicy with it!! It's great on steak and fish.....i wish I knew what else was in it besides oregano, parsley and red pepper.

Roguish Lawyer
07-19-2004, 02:35
One thing? I don't know. Maybe onion powder. I use it a lot.

brownapple
07-19-2004, 02:36
Oregano

What can I say? Two Italian aunts taught me to cook. ;)

Solid
07-19-2004, 03:31
Blue Dragon Sweet and Sour Sauce!

Soya Sauce!

Matsuhisha Dressing!

And finally- Maggi Brown Sauce from Findus.

The first and third are really, really important. Now I'm hungry.

brewmonkey
07-19-2004, 07:39
Originally posted by Team Sergeant
I don't think there's enough examples of "staples". I would think any kitchen worth its salt had most of whats mentioned here already. Fresh herbs are procured as necessary and the same for the veggies. Spices and what not usually fill out many a cabinet space. I'd spend the rest of the night listing my spices and cooking oils.

I would agree with this. I have 2 cabinets dedicated to these items.

My kitchen would not be my kitchen without my butcher block, my kitchen aid stand mixer and my food processor.

As far as food goes, I always have buffalo in the fridge, tomatos in the fruit basket and a loaf of fresh bread to dip into some EVOO and cracked pepper. That makes a great little something to throw out for unexpected guests while you whip up a batch of something else.

PSM
01-21-2011, 18:13
It might be easier to list the spices I do not have, such as Saffron or “real” vanilla bean.

Chef Team Sergeant, has this been remedied? ;)

Pat

Dusty
01-21-2011, 18:53
Texas Pete

Team Sergeant
01-22-2011, 09:46
Chef Team Sergeant, has this been remedied? ;)

Pat

Yes, long ago.;)

I also have a few new items lke clarified butter, bread flour,pasta maker, bakers bench knife, high temperature spatula's etc to my list of must have. I add new cookbooks and food science books just about every month.

mojaveman
01-22-2011, 13:10
My omlette pan. :lifter

Penn
01-22-2011, 14:41
A newly minted Extern to school properly.

Team Sergeant
01-22-2011, 16:57
A newly minted Extern to school properly.

LOL
I'll be one of those very soon.....