PDA

View Full Version : Special Forces and Combat Air Controllers

JF86
10-14-2009, 23:34
Hello,
I'm trying to do some background on Combat Controllers. I have trolled on this site for months now. I have read numerous books and articles on Special Forces, so I feel somewhat comfortable in my knowledge as to what and who the Green Berets are. I have come to sincerely respect what y'all do and how you do it and the many achievements that the Green Berets have, especially in the more recent years. With that respect in mind I was hoping that this online community might be able to shed some light on another group of specialized soldier, the USAF Combat Air Controller. It is my understanding that these men work closely with the ODA teams from time to time. I was hoping that someone might be able to give me a look into these individuals from a Green Beret perspective. Thank you for your time.
God Bless,
Josh

Ghostiger7
10-15-2009, 00:43
Go HERE (http://www2.afsoc.af.mil/specialtactics/index.asp)
should answer most of your questions without comprimising OPSEC:lifter

JF86
10-15-2009, 01:11
Go HERE (http://www2.afsoc.af.mil/specialtactics/index.asp)
should answer most of your questions without comprimising OPSEC:lifter

Thank you for your quick reply. I've already been to this site and viewed it, however I will review it again to see if I missed anythign the first go round. I am looking for personal experiences, without violating OPSEC of course! ;)

The Reaper
10-15-2009, 08:00
JF86, this is not CCT.com or JTAC.net.

I doubt that you are going to get much feedback here.

Teams get controllers attached, some are good and some are not, just like the CA, PSYOP, or other attachments.

I would also be cautious about starting new threads here till you have been around a while.

Best of luck.

TR

Richard
10-15-2009, 08:18
There were three CCT in our class at SFUWO - seemed they all thought it would be a Conch Republic holiday - none graduated.

Had to take two CCT with us one time because they had some specialized beacons to provide accurate off-set navigation for B-52s - never heard so much whining in my life and by day 3 they were whupped - it was like two kids in the back seat of the family sedan on a forced family fun road trip - they were used to being dropped off, not having to move very far, and being pulled within 24 hours - their preferred means of operating then was driving around in an M-151 with the back filled with electronic gear and weird antennas sticking out all over like some sort of OD colored mechanical hedgehog - they always seemed to like things with 2, 3, or 4 wheels - I wouldn't be surprised if they have Segueways now.

However, I also knew a few at Hurlburt and Saufley Fields who were about as good as anyone - they were in high demand - like most things, my experience was they kinda ran the gamut from career oxygen burglars in camouflage to some very good-in-the-woods MFers.

Richard's $.02 :munchin

JAGO
10-15-2009, 09:55
Thank you for your quick reply. I've already been to this site and viewed it, however I will review it again to see if I missed anythign the first go round. I am looking for personal experiences, without violating OPSEC of course! ;)

They have a section on another board. You may be able to converse with a few of them here

http://www.socnet.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76

v/r
phil

LongWire
10-15-2009, 10:30
Teams get controllers attached, some are good and some are not

Some you think are good, until they drop a JDAM on a few of your Friends............:mad:

Utah Bob
10-15-2009, 18:07
Hello,
. I was hoping that someone might be able to give me a look into these individuals from a Green Beret perspective.
Josh

Why?

JF86
10-16-2009, 12:41
Thank you all very much for your feedback. I believe I got what I needed. I appreciate that you all took the time to answer my question. Keep up the good work and God bless!
Josh

Utah Bob
10-16-2009, 17:34
Look where he is from Utah Bob....or is it Colorado Bob....or is it Mormon Bob?:p

The young Texan is nosey and dreamy, probably. Who better to ask then ya'll? Its just the internet.:rolleyes:

I still remember McClure from 16 years ago. He was big, strong, fast, ugly, and smart. Maybe JF86 is dreaming of being like McClure, minus the ugly.

Sounds like the Air Force is in dire need of some good men.

Sorry about your Friends, Longwire.:(

I ain't in Utah but I can see it from my house.

Can't see Russia though.;)

JF86
10-18-2009, 22:19
Who better to ask then ya'll?... :(
My thoughts exactly :lifter

I still remember McClure from 16 years ago. He was big, strong, fast, ugly, and smart. Maybe JF86 is dreaming of being like McClure, minus the ugly. :( ...

Haha, definitely not ugly! :D

Smcpart
02-11-2012, 23:00
I was reading through some old threads and found this one. As a former CCT guy I thought I might clarify some of what Richard was talking about, ref SFUWO. Prior to 1988 CCT were not required to attend a Combat Diver Course. Prior to that date some CCT guys were sent to Key West without any formal training and no pre-SCUBA, a recipe for failure. Some graduated, some did not. The attrition rate at Key West was about 50 percent, many of whom were very qualified SF guys, as well as CCT'ers. Since 1988 all CCT have a SCUBA/HALO (W9 in SF circles) requirement to become Combat Controllers. If they fail either school, or any other school, you go find another job. I had the luxury of pre-SCUBA and graduated. This is reply is only meant to give some insight into what was happening in CCT prior to 1988. Thanks for hearing me out.

CRad
02-11-2012, 23:42
Why?
You have to stop being so funny. Seriously, it's just not helpful.